1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

GumballheadGumballhead

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

An American Wheat Ale, Gumballhead is named in honor of the underground comic book cat created by Rob Syers. Initially a seasonal summer beer, now brewed year round due to demand. This beer helped redefine American Wheat Beers. Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness make Gumballhead a refreshing American Wheat Beer that doesn’t suck.

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,765 | Reviews: 1,381 | Show All Ratings:
blastyaker

Kentucky

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Great anytime beer. Light yellow in color hoppy smell on pour citrus taste. Small head disapates rather quickly. Had it New Years Eve but would definitely drink anytime. Three Floyds hit the mark again for me. The store where I usually buy my growlers sells out of this very fast and I was lucky to get some this time cant wait to have some again real soon.

Serving type: growler

12-31-2011 23:35:37 | More by blastyaker
kpclemens

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured on tap at the brewpub.

A - a hazy gold den color. a little clearer than most wheat beers. about a finger and a half sized bright white head.

S - what a great smell for a wheat beer; a little bit of your expected citrus but mostly hops. Hoppier than any other wheat beer I've smelt, like a mild IPA.

T - First thing I taste is hops right up front. Then in the back of the mouth there's grapefruit and some other citrus flavors. Some people say they taste bubblegum in the end but I think that's all mental with a name like Gumballhead. No alcohol taste as expected.

M - The mouth feel of this beer is fantastic. Its creamy and smooth and you just want to keep drinking it. There's nothing quite like having a beer on tap at the actual brewpub.

O - This is in my top 3 favorite beers. Wheat beer helped me get into craft beer and this a perfect breakaway. You get the wheat beer name I used to love plus the hops and flavors lacking in a lot of wheat beers. Its more like a Wheat IPA. If you can find this I definitely recommend getting a case of it. You wont regret it.

10-16-2012 14:55:57 | More by kpclemens
Ham-Nord

Ontario (Canada)

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Slight haze to this golden wheat beer with a solid half inch of head. Little to no lacing.

S: This beer is just bursting with beautiful aromas that invite you to dive in. Strong tropical citrus fruits. The amarillo hops really come through.

T: Amazing hop flavour, very reminiscent of tropical fruit. Minimal bitterness, with a little sweetness from the malted barley and wheat. Balanced and delicious!

M: Well carbonated, medium bodied.

O: Some of the most pronounced, yet smooth and balanced hop flavours I have tasted in a beer. I could drink this all night!

05-10-2013 23:00:49 | More by Ham-Nord
FPWolff

Kansas

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Bought from FFF brewpub in IN. Interesting. Citrus-y. Mouthfeel is super light but then it takes you on a ride for an uncommon experience. Can't place the aftertaste. Almost dries out your mouth but has a dry fruity follow-up. It's tough to know if I would peg this as a wheat without knowing it was such.

Can't wait to bring more back.

08-13-2013 05:24:56 | More by FPWolff
mdavis31481

Maine

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Gumballhead pours a light, hazy amber color that is more reminiscent of an IPA than a wheat beer. The slightly off-white head was rich but provided minimal lacing.

The aroma... WOW... hops, hops, and more hops. Am I smelling a wheat beer or an IPA?

I'm having a difficult time figuring this brew out. Does it want to be an APA, IPA, or Wheat beer? Perhaps some amalgamation of the three.

The first sip yields a floral hop taste that smoothes out nicely. Unlike an IPA there is no real hop attack. A gentle sweetness quickly follows the hops leaving a pleasant citrus finish.

The mouthfeel deftly walks the line between thick and thin.

This is a very nice beer, one that I would never turn down. But it would not be my first choice if a wheat beer was what my palate craved.

08-14-2005 16:46:59 | More by mdavis31481
clintone

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Just about the best thing about my move to West Lafayette, IN was that Three Floyds is sold all over the place. In my effort to try them all I picked up a 6 pack of this at a local liquor store

A- a very nice golden brown, very clear, only the slightest hint of haze. Not a lot of head, maybe 1/4" or so, but good lacing throughout.

S- I hadn't read any reviews on this before I got it so I wasn't sure what to expect and it kind of shocked me to smell it at first. Very flowery and citrusy, like lemon grass almost. Very crisp and refreshing.

T - Just like it smelled, a different taste than I was expecting, I actually wasn't to fond of it at first sip. By time I had finished the whole beer though it was excellent. Very citrusy and hoppy, it's difficult to actually explain because I've never tasted anything quite like it.

M - Extremely crisp and refreshing. Very nicely carbonated.

D - Not only could I have drank several, I did. My friend was so impressed that he went out after we polished off the 6 pack and got another.

09-24-2008 20:35:44 | More by clintone
Flup

4.22/5  rDev 0%

I have this one on my birthday, thank you MacDomer for trading this one with me!

A. Nice Golden Colour

S. Strong Grapefruit smell

T. Hop very present, I like the bitterness

M. long and persistent bitter aftertaste

D. Nice Carbonation, very refreshing

Great experience, I have it in my Golden Carolus Chalice
Cheers MacDomer

11-03-2008 21:05:57 | More by Flup
makdeco

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Its been long over due for me to review this beer

At first glance you can smell the hops, and I say?? American wheat beer with hop smell... But this is great. I am a big time wheat beer drinker but that little kick of hops is really different and add a complex taste to this style.

I prefer it in a weizen glass over a pint glass but it will do in both if the beer bar has no clue on correct glassware

I have had it in both Bottle and on tap and really enjoy both. Great job FFF...

02-15-2009 14:34:56 | More by makdeco
lucasbm

Mississippi

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a golden straw color with a nice thick off white head. Has a large 2-3 finger head that lowered to about a finger quickly and had noticeable lacing. Aroma has a nice hoppy citrus smell with a little lemon and grapefruit. The aroma is one of the most impressive qualities of this beer as it lingers the entire time it's drank. Tastes clean and balanced, not malty and has a slight bitterness. I would drink this everyday. Would love to homebrew a clone to keep around the house during the summer. If you couldn't decide between a nice moderately hoppy pale ale or a good wheat beer, this is definitely the beer for you.

06-30-2009 23:40:46 | More by lucasbm
hworking

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

S-Bottle
A-Slightly cloudy fairly clear , but had good carbonation, has a medium sized head that eventually disappeared
S-smelled somewhat fruity
T-Very hoppy taste but with a wheat taste
M-smooth mouthfeel
D-good beer wasnt to bitter but not real sweet overall i really liked the beer I'm glad its a good Indiana beer since I'm from Indiana

08-14-2010 04:39:48 | More by hworking
KBHops

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Lovely yellow/orange color, looks a bit like apple juice. Poured three quarters of an inch of head that settled to thin layer on top with lacing on sides.

S: My first instinct is hoppier than I expected, but the more I smell, the more it seems to smell like sparkling grape juice (the non-alcoholic stuff), which I really like.

T: Starts with some citrus and then the wheat completely dominates, but as it lingers you get some of the orange like citrus back. Very nice.

M: Maybe a bit thin, but not water by any stretch

D: I could definitely drink a sixer. There is no alcohol taste anywhere. I almost can't help but down this thing in a few minutes. The flavor just completely dominates the palate and leaves you with an almost dry mouth that needs something to wet it, oh and look I've got a beer in front of me, I'll use this.

03-05-2011 06:12:00 | More by KBHops
sbennett22

3.8/5  rDev -10%

Purchased a 6-pack and poured the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Transparent gold in color. Thin foamy head that doesn't stick around very long.

S: I instantly smelled piney hops which was surprising since it's listed as a wheat beer. Slight smell of citrus too.

T: Pine was the dominant flavor, but the wheat and citrus also came through. Bitter at the tail end and not as wheat flavored as expected.

M: Very refreshing and drinkable. Leaves the mouth somewhat dry which may account for why I found myself drinking this beer very quickly.

O: Another quality beer from FFF. This beer is a good session beer. Refreshing and enjoyable.

05-12-2011 04:00:19 | More by sbennett22
ndepriest

Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Excited to finally give a Three Floyds beer a try.

I really didn't know what to expect from this, but it's just delicious. It sort of tastes like a sessionable version of little sumpin. It pours a pale straw color. The smell is just sweet wheat. Super sweet. Very light body. I could take down a whole bunch of these. Will seek out again. Well done. My first FFF beer did not disappoint.

11-13-2012 01:28:39 | More by ndepriest
sid240

4.51/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This was my first try at American Hoppy Wheat beers. Wow, what an eye opener. The appearance is a very clear pale orange/yellow color, small white head. The smell is all fruit: orange, peach and tangerine. I really like the fact that those flavors are not the only thing you get, this is a well integrated wheat beer.

04-13-2014 14:07:36 | More by sid240
piwodevo

4.43/5  rDev +5%

with no further ado, gumballhead returns. This incarnation (just released today) is stripped clean, filtered a bright High Life straw color with a thin white head that still manages to lace the glass. The aroma is classic 3F. Amarillo! Malt is barely discernable in the aroma, slightly more so in the flavor. The hops carry this beer. If you're not a hop fan, steer clear, because that's what this beer is all about. The flavor is all hops, the wheat and malt have to be there SOMEWHERE, but my attention turns to that aromatic and just plain dreamy hoppiness. TASTY.

04-15-2005 02:11:13 | More by piwodevo
trem0lo

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Mmmm Gumballhead. I think I just found a new favorite "wheat" beer. I put quotes around it because it doesn't necessarily taste like any wheat beer you've ever had because of the added hops. Rather it successfully fuses the two styles into something new, different and extremely delicious.

It pours a light golden yellow, like lemonade with a splash of orange juice. Perfect summer color.

The smell immediately jumps out at you. I get a bunch of different tropical fruit flavors--kiwi, mango, banana, tangerine, and some doughiness. Reminds me of my trip to Maui.

The taste is a crazy party of fruity, citrusy hops with a strong wheat backbone. Up front you get a fairly aggressive dose of citrus flavor, finished with the sweet, slightly bready quality of the wheat. The flavors that come to mind are grapefruit, tangerine and banana. The way this beer comes together is amazing. YUM.

Mouthfeel is light to medium-bodied with a perfect amount of carbonation to blend the flavors and make it refreshing.

Drinkability is fantastic. I could drink gallons of this stuff. It's not a super strong beer, but it goes down so easy it doesn't matter!

If you are a hophead, seek this out. An awesome twist on the style. Highly recommended.

11-12-2008 05:28:03 | More by trem0lo
bobgrave

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

This beer was recommended to me by a co-worker and I am very glad he did.

I am a fan of wheat beers that incorporate a flavorful hop blend. This beer is an excellent example IMO.

The carbonation is light, but not like a usual wheat. The smell is very nice and I truly did not expect this nose from a wheat. Strong cannabis smells with citrus grove coming through.

The flavor is big with this one. IMO this has the taste of cannabis. At least the flavor ties to the smell from concert air.
Strong grapefruit and citrus notes creep in after the initial weed hit. A very drinkable beer.

I would also like to note that I gave one of these to an old burner friend of mine and he said the flavor of the beer really brought back the old days for him.

This is not over the top on the hops, but more than you would expect.

Try one!

12-08-2008 17:53:29 | More by bobgrave
Randyweizen

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

On some level, it's a waste of time to review a beer that has well over a thousand reviews already.

And yet I can't help but put this down for the record: Gumballhead has most of the attributes that I strive for as a homebrewer when I want to make a pleasantly hoppy summer beer.

The key is in the blend of different flavor and aroma elements. There's the obvious hop flavors from the Amarillo, somewhere between grapefruit and tangerine. But this is only one egg in the basket. There's also cooked sugar candy, fig, pineapple, caramel... I don't know where in the hell it's all coming from, but it's a great blend. You can taste it all, smell it all, and enjoy its kaleidoscopic transformation as the glass warms.

My only caveat is that the finish is slightly flawed, a little like old bubble gum. The FFF website claims 28 IBUs; maybe 40 or so would give a cleaner finish without being too bitter for the masses. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

So, again, this is a great, great beer with tremendous personality. If I were to mix a six pack as a gift for a visiting German friend, there would be a 12oz bottle of Gumballhead, no doubt about it.

07-25-2011 21:36:44 | More by Randyweizen
GBallHead

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: Head is slightly bove a finger, depending on how you pour. Carbonation at best was average throughout compared to elite wheat beers.

Smell: Smells amazing, if you havent had it you definitely need to try it.

Taste: Hops, Hops, Hops. The hops slowly subside and the body smoothes out with a very noticeable wheat flavor. I was really surprised at how the wheat flavor was so strong with the lack of it in the aroma. A hop dryness is strongly felt on the palette after drinking.

Mouthfeel: a light to medium bodied brew which certainly carries its weight. Smooth mouthfeel going on which leaves its damage on the palette after drinking, drank multiples in a row btw.

Overall: This beer shows the big differences between American and European beers. I had some european beers before this one and its hard to tell because they are basically the same style. Hops are accented much more then the yeast in the Europeans. Easy to see why this is the one of the regular beers by Three Floyds, easily drinkable which gives it an overall commercial appeal.

11-14-2011 15:04:03 | More by GBallHead
JoshSyphilis

Indiana

This is the weaker lil' bro of Zombie Dust and I love it! Basically Zombie Dust light. The artwork is so raw it's fantastic. Did a child or mental patient design it, not an insult as I'm pretty much both. Very fun to track down in stores as well. This little brewery is something else. Yay-Yuhh!!!

08-17-2013 03:19:32 | More by JoshSyphilis
LovingCup

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was gifted one of these about a years ago and I remember enjoying it immensely. I've kept an eye out for it but have yet to see it on the shelf. That is, until today, when I spotted a lone sixer sitting behind a couple packs of "Pride & Joy." Without hesitation I snatched it up. It's super fresh bottled less than two weeks ago...The artwork is sick...Looking forward to this one!

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow. Lots of carbonation, the fizzy bubbles persist. The head, is nearly snow white. unfortunately the head is nearly non existent and I don't get any lacing.

Smell: Being called gumballhead, I anticipated a hefe type sweet banana smell, with pronounced buble gum or candy esque smells. But I don't really get anything of the sort. Taking a whiff, it smells more like a ipa/apa. Juicy, citrusy, hoppy, with maybe a touch of spice. I wanted to smell bubblegum. But for what it's worth, it smells very good! It is rather faint however, the intensity level could have been raised a few notches.

Taste: Yep, tastes like an ipa/apa. I taste hops! Boatloads of them. Now I know what Amarillo hops taste like specifically. A hop bomb of a wheat beer. Not overly bitter. It does pack a little punch up front, but is smooth and refreshing on the back-end. The initial hop bite would lead me to guess the abv a percentage point or so higher than it is (5.6%) Still, this beer is extremely drinkable and a good choice to session with. Whatever wheat profile this beer has follows the hop intensity, proving the yang to the yin, the character mellows during part two. I do feel like the taste does lack a bit of complexity, which may seem a contradiction, considering I just pointed out the changing, two part nature of the taste profile. Hoppy, slightly bitter, grassy, a bit of spice, dry, fruity, citrus, grapefruit, lemon, i guess wheat? In short, this beer tastes satisfying.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat "oily," light to medium light, crisp and refreshing with a lot of bubbly carbonation, which I really dig with this beer. I'm almost reminded of a lager in the most endearing of ways. It makes me think "summertime." Ballgames, bbq, beaches, backyards, music fests, this beer says "session-able and intense.'

Overall: I am simultaneously impressed and ever so slightly let down. I think this beer is undoubtedly better than "good." I'm surprised the bros only gave it a 83. This beer is very good; great. arguably outstanding. TBH, i am slightly put off by these beers that seemed destined to hype from incarnation. Idk if FFF just doesn't have the resources meet their demand. It just sort of irritates me where breweries produce such a low volume of product so they can artificially jack up the price and the hype. This marketing strategy is nothing new or unique to this industry. My point is, if you can brew good shit, brew that shit for all to enjoy! Stop hoarding that shit like a blood diamond yo!
Anyway Gumballhead by Three Floyds. Very good, comes highly recommended by me. If you find yourself in the situation where you are able to procure, procure that shieet! You won't be disappointed, I guarantee it! Did I mention the sick artwork?

02-16-2014 06:27:30 | More by LovingCup
chiefthreebeers

Vermont

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Picked this up at a liquor store in Chicago. Hard to find. I heard they are having trouble making enough of it, so it peaked my interest.

Poured 12oz. bottle it into my Duvel Apero glass.

A. Golden pale color, some sentiment visible. Unique appearance for a wheat beer. I was expecting a cloudy, Hefe theme, this was a refreshing change.

Aroma of hops. Lots and lots of Amarillo I imagine.

Mouth feel is soft and flavor of hops. I don't think I have ever had hoppier wheat.

Finishes smooth with some bitterness. Sweet and sour notes with hints of honey.

Overall I found this to be a very interesting beer. Original and inventive. I figure the funky package has helped with the success of the beer. Hipsters probably gravitate towards the cartoon character smoking a cigarette on the label. Nice beer, good for a session or two.

06-11-2009 01:30:06 | More by chiefthreebeers
robotagogo

4.93/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a rich golden colour. Opaque and murky. Lots of yeast and some floaty sediment thingys. Moderate head, with nice lacing. The head stuck around for half the beer. Very hoppy aroma, high notes of citrus. Tastes of yummy hops and lemon hangings around for a little bit. Very tasty. Perfectly carbonated. Bites to the end. I could drink this all afternoon.

07-11-2009 18:39:31 | More by robotagogo
adamwonak

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

This is one of my favorite main stay beers. I love they hoppiness of Three Floyds beers and this is a great example of a well balanced array of flavors. The beer is a refreshing wheat beer with a zesty hoppy after taste. This is a beer that I can enjoy several pints without getting bored/overwhelmed with the taste or feel full and bloated.

07-21-2009 18:50:32 | More by adamwonak
Pjhuppenthal

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

This is my favorite beer. Amarillo Hops gives it a Grapefruit smell and Citrus taste. Perfect amount of bubbles.The Malt and Wheat makes it Warm and fuzzy in the winter but light and very refreshing in summer. I realize now I am a lucky SOB living in the the land of 3 Floyds.

04-02-2011 01:39:11 | More by Pjhuppenthal