Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,460 | Hads: 5,256
3.7/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I’ve had this beer in my beer closet for most of the summer, I might as well take it a taste of it. The color is a hazy darker yellow with some cloudiness but you still are able to gaze through the glass. A frothy head that disappears quickly and limited lacing. The aroma is strong in the hops especially for a wheat beer. A slight citrus orange smell with some pine action going on.

The taste is strong hopped for a wheat. Not a big surprise from Three Flyods. A piney somewhat grassy taste at the top and then blends with a sweeter orangey malt backing. Hint of lemongrass and grapefruit are good descriptive words for the taste. The tang of the hops remains throughout the aftertaste and leaves a metallic or chalky taste. The body is light with limited carbonation, which is ok per style.

To me, wheat beers are supposed to be smooth and easy drinking. This is hoppy with bite. A like that it is very unique in taste, but I think per style it’s off, so thus down on the drinkability. (996 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

22 oz. bomber

Pours a a hazy sunset yellow. Slight head that fades fast with some lacing. Looks like a nice wheat beer.

Smell is pure amarillo hops. From using them myself, I can spot them a mile away. Smells more like an IPA than a wheat. Making me drool.

Taste is very unique! The refreshing citrus of the Amarillo followed by a very lemony aftertaste. This is absolutely delicious and very refreshing.

This is one smooth beer. It just feels good in my mouth.

I could drink this a lot. I wish I had been able to find more than 1 bomber. What a treat! (568 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

22 oz. Bomber poured into traditional pint glass. No freshness date.

A - Rich, cloudy orange color. Not too much head when properly poured. Most of it faded quickly but a nice thin layer stayed caked on top.

S - Florals, citrus fruit (lemon, orange), hoppy spices

T - Mostly hoppy bitterness, tastes more like a pale ale than a wheat. Florals predominate, with presence of fruit, spice and a hint of bubblegum (especially in the head)

M - Full, smooth as floods your palate, then bitterness attacks and almost overpowers. Ever so lightly carbonated.

D - Nice summer session beer, but a bit too bitter for my taste. (629 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

presentation: 22oz. bomber with a brightly colored label. crayon colored oval with the comic character gumballhead the cat in the center. three floyds logo is at the bottom of the oval with gumballhead wheat beer around the top of the oval. three floyd's interpretation of their wheat beer is on the right of the label along with some basic info about the comic and a web link. a map to the brewery is below this explanation. no freshness date or abv displayed.

appearance: pours a bright yellow-orange with even brighter yellow highlights in a stein mug. nice 2 inch white fluffy head. good retention and lacing. very clear with bubbles rising methodically.

smell: lemony, orangey and grainy. floral and lightly spicy hops. excellent bouquet. faintest touch of bubblegum while sipping.

taste: nice citrus hops and bitters. oranges and lemons with a blurry flavor of lightly sweet wheat malts. hops are king here. finish is a touch dry with a light bitterness and a lingering touch of sourness.

mouthfeel: crisp clean medium body. there is a very light residual layer left on the tongue. very smooth rolling in your mouth and swallows just as smooth. excellent mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

drinkability: are you kidding me? excellent drinkability. perfect summer session brew. alcohol is nowhere to be found. bitterness isn't over the top. very aromatic and flavorful.

overall: this is what i'm talkin' about! a nice change of pace from traditional hefes, without the bananas and cloves. very drinkable, smooth, aromatic and flavorful. what more can you ask for? nice session brew. i'll take this any time. (1,627 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer pours a nice gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a wonderful hop scent that really refreshes along with a good malt aroma. It has wheat, pale, and some light crystal malts; very complex aroma. The taste is great. It has a smooth pale and wheat malt flavor with loads of hops all the way through. This is probably the most hops I've ever had in a wheat beer. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is best American wheat beer I've ever had. I love a hoppy wheat ale. (586 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wheat ale my arse ! This was a weak IPA. Good lookin’ pour – hazy orange with sticky ivory laces. But the aroma and taste, wow, strong kick of florals! Not near enough wheat barley in this one – but the bottle does say "boat loads of Amarillo hops." Well, yeah. Tangy, crisp & tart. OK to drink – if you’re ready for an IPA.

Side: awfully high priced ($5.20 for 22oz) – I’d rather spent $6 on a sixer of Sammy/Schalfly wheat ales. (440 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a bright yellow, but not very cloudy. I'd like a little more haze in my wheat beers.

Aroma is smooth, thin, pure amarillo apricots and preserved lemon. Not a lot of malt, not a lot of anything at all, actually.

Taste is more the same, sweet, with tangerine sugar and mellow peach nectar. Pure sunshine, but still, so thin, so soft -- there really isn't much to this.

Mouthfeel is decent, but neither pillow soft, foamy and plump, or overridingly active. Nothing to write home about.

Drinkability is fine, you could probably throw a six-pack down -- but who would want to? IIf I want refreshing summer drinking, I'll find a good Hefe, or, hey -- a glass of seltzer water, which this isn't all that far off from.

All in all, a disappointing brew from the folks at Three Floyds. Well, I guess I can't say it's disappointing, because it is what it wants to be -- a very quaffable, inoffensive, less than challenging American Wheat...but such a thing doesn't really catch my fancy.

Not bad, but nothing I'll be seeking out again any time soon. (1,063 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -28.8%

Hazy golden body is topped by a light white head displaying slight lace. Strong Amarillo hops nose. A gentle biscuity feel coats the nostrils. The wheat is obvious and provides a refreshing character, but there’s not much else to me. I’m not sure how well the hops mix with the rest, it is very citrusy, mandarine/lemon profile and tart, definitely not my favourite balance, but that’s probably just my preference for less abrasive citrusy hops. It doesn’t feel too fresh as it is. At the same time, the palate is globally thin, though it has a slight creamy tinge. Moderately high thin-bubbled carbonation cleans the tongue nicely though. Nevertheless, I’d get bored of having this as my main summer quencher. Give me a burgerbrau helles anywhen over 3 of these. (768 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +12.5%

I've been holding on to this one for a while but finally decided to break it out. 22 oz bomber.

Nice golden color with a thin white head. The only real knock i would have on this beer is that the appearance dosn't blow you away. Not much carbonation and just dosn't look lively. Having said that, the smell more than makes up for the lack of appearance. Awesome floral smell to go along with a piney hops. Taste is just as awesome. Great wheat malt flavor that is matched with an amazing amount of hops. Mouthfeal is smooth and light, no bitter bite which is surprising for the level of hops. Drinkability of this it great. I would highly recomend this. I wish I could get it easily in PA. Good thing my brother lives in Indiana. (732 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served to me on-tap at the Map Room in Chicago>

Apperance: A great golden color that had considerable head and lacing.

Smell: I can STILL smell it, it was so good. Lots and lots of great hops with a bouquet of flowers.

Taste: One of the hoppiest and most floral brews I've had. It was a very smooth hop that totally covered the little alcohol it had.

Mouthfeel: Ultra smooth, like silk in your mouth, what a wheat ale is.

Drinkability: Smooth, clean, hoppy and low ABV; you could really lose track of how many you've had of these, you'll enjoy it that much. (575 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

22 ounce bomber. This beer pours out a slightly hazy golden color with an inch of white head. The aroma is an unusual mix of juicy fruit and hops. The flavor is a wheat body, with more hops than I've ever had in a wheat beer. Hops are juicy and piney. Resultant burps taste like bubblegum. Drinkability is fantastic. One of the most unique wheat beers I've had, and also very good. (381 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -7.6%

Shared a bottle of this with murrayswine at his store, straight out of the fridge.

Gumballhead is a beautifully clear golden color, with an ample white head. Really nice-looking. It smells sweet when you open the bottle--"cotton candy"--but the hops quickly assert themselves in both scent and taste. I was surprised at how hoppy it was; Gumballhead is certainly the hoppiest wheat ale I've had. Despite this, it does have a tasty toasted malt finish. Pretty good, but intensely hoppy. (488 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bomber with a picture of a comic character on the front.

Appearance: The best way I could describe the color is, it wasn't a pale yellow but something like a golden amber color instead. It had a one inch head of foam that left some lacing. You could also see all the carbonation bubbles racing to the top.

Smell: You can smell plenty of grapefruit, lemon, and of other citrus fruits that I couldn't put my finger on.

Taste: There was tons of citrus fruits like lemons and grapefruits. After all those citrus flavors you get a wheaty taste. If thats not enough you get a hoppy aftertaste after all those citrus and wheat flavors. This is one taste you'll never forget.

Mouthfeel: It was light, carbonated, and easy to drink. It was hard to believe that this beer has only a 4.8% alcohol content.

Drinkability: This beer would make an excellent session beer, if it wasn't so expensive. This is one beer that everyone should try for themselves. You will not be disappointed. Keep up the good work Three Floyds! (1,028 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

I'll sum this up at the start; I could drink this brew every day, all summer long. Low abv+great taste=all day drinking !
The gumballhead has an orange yellow color with a quickly fading white head. Great, intense fresh floral hop smell. Light medium body with a smooth mouthfeel. Great taste mimics the smell with big hop flavors followed by a malty, grainy sweetness to finish.
Excellent beer here. (403 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

I usually reviews the beers as I sample them, but I never can tear myself away from this beer to do it, so I am going on memory, which will serve me well in this case.

Pours a beautiful golden color with a nice fluffy white head after I swirl that last few ounces out of the bottle. The flowery smell is what draws me in at first. Citrus, sunflowers and spring...nothing better. The taste is really unlike anything else I have ever had. I guess sweet comes to mind, but not overwhelming. Hoppy, which makes this wheat really unique in my mind. My only knock on this is that I wish it had a little more depth to it. I find myself wishing it was a little more creamy I guess. Why oh why can't they make this in a six pack. One bomber rarely makes it a day or two in my fridge. Truly enjoyable and my favorite summer brew. (822 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

This is a nice IPA, but with a touch of a heavy grain, which must be the wheat. Highly hopped with a smooth bitterness and a supporting sweet and fruity ester profile.

Pours a finger and a half nearly white head (yellow hints) over a cloudy dark straw colored liquid. Smells citrus and pine. Grapefruity pith is gentle in a bath of orange oil and faint hints of fresh pine needles. No sign of rough grassy that many hoppy beer have, it's smooth, perhaps even a bit sugary. Tastes mostly hoppy but with enough underlying sweet to carry them well. Hops start with a tang and pine followed by a grapefruit kick and refreshing orange. Hop bitter is clean and in line with the intensity of the hop flavors and the sweetness. Although beneath the hops, the sweetness is a rich sugary treat, like some crazy kids candy. Some lighter fruity esters (apricot and peach). Md body and highly carbonated. (894 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Beerguy (Frank) for all these 3 Floyds samples. All of them have been great. Sorry it took me so long to get to this one.

I guess I don't know much about American Pale Wheat Ales because this reminds me of an IPA or a IIPA. It pours a beautifull honey-orange color. The color actually varies through the glass. Minimal head, limited lace. Smell is extra-killa maltiness with some fine IPA type hops (Cascade, Centennial, Warrior ?) Impressive. Taste is almost the same as the nose although I get an extra woodiness in the taste too (Amarillo?).

This thing is 4.8%?? Holy Shit, bring it on by the caseload please. (629 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured a golden color with a small white head and some lacing. Sticky sweet hop, some lemon, and wheat aroma. Citrus and bitter hops, balanced nicely by a sweetness and the wheat. This is one of my favorite wheat beers, I'd love to have this on draft in my basement! (266 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -18.7%

Enjoyed on tap at the brewery.
Outstanding amarillo aroma. Straw yellow served with no head. It was hard to get a good look at it becasue 3F serves their beer in a plastic cup. I love the flavor of amarillo hops. Very bitter for the style. I thought it was kind of harsh to drink. Overall, I wouldn’t expect any less that this from these guys. (345 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

First off, this is one of the ugliest labels I've ever seen.

Bright and clear yellow gold body, clearer than I expected, minimal haze. Good size fluffy white head. A doily of lace at the rim, and some stretches down the sides.

Dear God, it doesn't matter what style Three Floyds brews, it has a nose full of hops. Bananas and cloves no, grapefruit and pine yes.

Taste is ...wow! Absolutely delightfully fruity, light and refreshing. pineapples and oranges and lemons and I'm not sure what else, but all of it is a wonderful surprise. Each mouthful ends with a surprising subtle hop wash, which intertwines with the fruits in a clean but memorable aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is at least medium, but still wonderfully refreshing on a hot afternoon. Drinkability? Now that I have discovered this, I'm thinking a case for next summer.

Simply a delight, and now one of my two favorite wheat beers (with Ramstein Winter Wheat - which it has absolutely nothing in common). (975 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Fresh bomber of Gumballhead is always a refreshing sight in my fridge. Pours a brilliant golden orange color with a creamy arid two finger head on top that leaves sticky lacing on my pint glass. Aroma is a blast of lovely tropical Amarillo hop goodness. Fresh cut, juicy pineapple slices, oranges, mangoes....herbal, oily, resinous. Underneath is a crisp, fresh wheaty lemony body. Still the most lush, aromatic American wheat beer that has ever graced my nostrils. Yum.

First sip brings a rush of vine ripened lovely hoppiness. Sublimely fruity with notes of pineapple, orange, lemon, and just a hint of herbal pine resin as well. A nicely creamy wheat grain background...sweet with a hint of astrigent husk on the back of the palate. Mellow bitterness throughout makes this the ultimate summer quencher. The best American wheat beer hands down...brilliantly hopped and just so damn tasty.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full. Rolls over the palate smoothly...being light enough to still be refreshing. This is probably my all time favorite summer brew as I could drink it by the case no problem. I wouldn't mind seeing this in six packs...as it would be a bit more convenient. All in all...this is a great wheat beer. (1,218 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

hazy light orange with a white head. very piney floral mildly citrusy hop aroma dominates. hints of grainy wheat peak through on occasion. on closer inspection the hops have an almost asprin like smell as jason said in his review. it really is a good description of how it smells, in a good way of course. the taste is very similar to the aroma, though not nearly as bitter as the smell would let on, very mild in fact. hints of wheat and caramel show themselves particularly as it warms, but are clearly backseat to the hops. a faint woody character develops as the temp rises. the mouthfeel is where this really shines. it has a light airy quality with delicate carbonation that is very light without being watery in the least. dry and very sweet at the back of the mouth at the same time. it makes you want to drink it faster just to feel it in your mouth. as a result it has excellent drinkability. i could drink this all night long. this is a really superb summer beer, but i would drink it any time of year. really a very unique experience, especially the mouthfeel. (1,072 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: golden/yellow, slightly hazy, bubbly white head that laces the glass

smell: lemons, pine and citrus, quite hoppy

taste: near perfect hop composition, lemon, grapefruit, wheat flavors. A wonderfully refreshing summer brew.

mouthfeel: citrus on the tongue, refreshing

drinkability: if it werent for the price you could drink this all night long (366 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Produces a one finger white head when poured. The color of the beer is golden.

Smell of wheat malt with a huge backbone of spicy green hops. The hops are floral and there are hints of grapefruit and mango. A really good smelling wheat.

The carbonation is on the lower end of the high range. Body is thin.

As on the nose, there is a huge hop presence in the flavor of this wheat. Many of the wheat characteristics are covered by the hops. The first flavors are of fresh green hops and a slight tropical fruitiness. The finish is a lingering bitterness. This is the most hoppy/bitter American Pale Wheat I've ever had. (625 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Looking back, is it possible that I gave this beer such high scores???.... yes, it is.

This beer is light and refreshing in body, mouthfeel, and flavor. It's rather dry, but it has the most amazing lemon zest flavor in the aftertaste. For its potency, it has a very aggressive hoppy bite.

Forget hoegaarden and the other so-called thirst quenchers. American micros are king. Gumballhead is the best American Wheat I've ever had. (435 characters)

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.