Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,474 | Hads: 5,371
3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Shared a bottle of this with murrayswine at his store, straight out of the fridge.

Gumballhead is a beautifully clear golden color, with an ample white head. Really nice-looking. It smells sweet when you open the bottle--"cotton candy"--but the hops quickly assert themselves in both scent and taste. I was surprised at how hoppy it was; Gumballhead is certainly the hoppiest wheat ale I've had. Despite this, it does have a tasty toasted malt finish. Pretty good, but intensely hoppy.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bomber with a picture of a comic character on the front.

Appearance: The best way I could describe the color is, it wasn't a pale yellow but something like a golden amber color instead. It had a one inch head of foam that left some lacing. You could also see all the carbonation bubbles racing to the top.

Smell: You can smell plenty of grapefruit, lemon, and of other citrus fruits that I couldn't put my finger on.

Taste: There was tons of citrus fruits like lemons and grapefruits. After all those citrus flavors you get a wheaty taste. If thats not enough you get a hoppy aftertaste after all those citrus and wheat flavors. This is one taste you'll never forget.

Mouthfeel: It was light, carbonated, and easy to drink. It was hard to believe that this beer has only a 4.8% alcohol content.

Drinkability: This beer would make an excellent session beer, if it wasn't so expensive. This is one beer that everyone should try for themselves. You will not be disappointed. Keep up the good work Three Floyds!

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

I'll sum this up at the start; I could drink this brew every day, all summer long. Low abv+great taste=all day drinking !
The gumballhead has an orange yellow color with a quickly fading white head. Great, intense fresh floral hop smell. Light medium body with a smooth mouthfeel. Great taste mimics the smell with big hop flavors followed by a malty, grainy sweetness to finish.
Excellent beer here.

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

I usually reviews the beers as I sample them, but I never can tear myself away from this beer to do it, so I am going on memory, which will serve me well in this case.

Pours a beautiful golden color with a nice fluffy white head after I swirl that last few ounces out of the bottle. The flowery smell is what draws me in at first. Citrus, sunflowers and spring...nothing better. The taste is really unlike anything else I have ever had. I guess sweet comes to mind, but not overwhelming. Hoppy, which makes this wheat really unique in my mind. My only knock on this is that I wish it had a little more depth to it. I find myself wishing it was a little more creamy I guess. Why oh why can't they make this in a six pack. One bomber rarely makes it a day or two in my fridge. Truly enjoyable and my favorite summer brew.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

This is a nice IPA, but with a touch of a heavy grain, which must be the wheat. Highly hopped with a smooth bitterness and a supporting sweet and fruity ester profile.

Pours a finger and a half nearly white head (yellow hints) over a cloudy dark straw colored liquid. Smells citrus and pine. Grapefruity pith is gentle in a bath of orange oil and faint hints of fresh pine needles. No sign of rough grassy that many hoppy beer have, it's smooth, perhaps even a bit sugary. Tastes mostly hoppy but with enough underlying sweet to carry them well. Hops start with a tang and pine followed by a grapefruit kick and refreshing orange. Hop bitter is clean and in line with the intensity of the hop flavors and the sweetness. Although beneath the hops, the sweetness is a rich sugary treat, like some crazy kids candy. Some lighter fruity esters (apricot and peach). Md body and highly carbonated.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Beerguy (Frank) for all these 3 Floyds samples. All of them have been great. Sorry it took me so long to get to this one.

I guess I don't know much about American Pale Wheat Ales because this reminds me of an IPA or a IIPA. It pours a beautifull honey-orange color. The color actually varies through the glass. Minimal head, limited lace. Smell is extra-killa maltiness with some fine IPA type hops (Cascade, Centennial, Warrior ?) Impressive. Taste is almost the same as the nose although I get an extra woodiness in the taste too (Amarillo?).

This thing is 4.8%?? Holy Shit, bring it on by the caseload please.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured a golden color with a small white head and some lacing. Sticky sweet hop, some lemon, and wheat aroma. Citrus and bitter hops, balanced nicely by a sweetness and the wheat. This is one of my favorite wheat beers, I'd love to have this on draft in my basement!

3.44/5  rDev -18.5%

Enjoyed on tap at the brewery.
Outstanding amarillo aroma. Straw yellow served with no head. It was hard to get a good look at it becasue 3F serves their beer in a plastic cup. I love the flavor of amarillo hops. Very bitter for the style. I thought it was kind of harsh to drink. Overall, I wouldn’t expect any less that this from these guys.

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

First off, this is one of the ugliest labels I've ever seen.

Bright and clear yellow gold body, clearer than I expected, minimal haze. Good size fluffy white head. A doily of lace at the rim, and some stretches down the sides.

Dear God, it doesn't matter what style Three Floyds brews, it has a nose full of hops. Bananas and cloves no, grapefruit and pine yes.

Taste is ...wow! Absolutely delightfully fruity, light and refreshing. pineapples and oranges and lemons and I'm not sure what else, but all of it is a wonderful surprise. Each mouthful ends with a surprising subtle hop wash, which intertwines with the fruits in a clean but memorable aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is at least medium, but still wonderfully refreshing on a hot afternoon. Drinkability? Now that I have discovered this, I'm thinking a case for next summer.

Simply a delight, and now one of my two favorite wheat beers (with Ramstein Winter Wheat - which it has absolutely nothing in common).

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

Fresh bomber of Gumballhead is always a refreshing sight in my fridge. Pours a brilliant golden orange color with a creamy arid two finger head on top that leaves sticky lacing on my pint glass. Aroma is a blast of lovely tropical Amarillo hop goodness. Fresh cut, juicy pineapple slices, oranges, mangoes....herbal, oily, resinous. Underneath is a crisp, fresh wheaty lemony body. Still the most lush, aromatic American wheat beer that has ever graced my nostrils. Yum.

First sip brings a rush of vine ripened lovely hoppiness. Sublimely fruity with notes of pineapple, orange, lemon, and just a hint of herbal pine resin as well. A nicely creamy wheat grain background...sweet with a hint of astrigent husk on the back of the palate. Mellow bitterness throughout makes this the ultimate summer quencher. The best American wheat beer hands down...brilliantly hopped and just so damn tasty.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full. Rolls over the palate smoothly...being light enough to still be refreshing. This is probably my all time favorite summer brew as I could drink it by the case no problem. I wouldn't mind seeing this in six packs...as it would be a bit more convenient. All in all...this is a great wheat beer.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

hazy light orange with a white head. very piney floral mildly citrusy hop aroma dominates. hints of grainy wheat peak through on occasion. on closer inspection the hops have an almost asprin like smell as jason said in his review. it really is a good description of how it smells, in a good way of course. the taste is very similar to the aroma, though not nearly as bitter as the smell would let on, very mild in fact. hints of wheat and caramel show themselves particularly as it warms, but are clearly backseat to the hops. a faint woody character develops as the temp rises. the mouthfeel is where this really shines. it has a light airy quality with delicate carbonation that is very light without being watery in the least. dry and very sweet at the back of the mouth at the same time. it makes you want to drink it faster just to feel it in your mouth. as a result it has excellent drinkability. i could drink this all night long. this is a really superb summer beer, but i would drink it any time of year. really a very unique experience, especially the mouthfeel.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: golden/yellow, slightly hazy, bubbly white head that laces the glass

smell: lemons, pine and citrus, quite hoppy

taste: near perfect hop composition, lemon, grapefruit, wheat flavors. A wonderfully refreshing summer brew.

mouthfeel: citrus on the tongue, refreshing

drinkability: if it werent for the price you could drink this all night long

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

Produces a one finger white head when poured. The color of the beer is golden.

Smell of wheat malt with a huge backbone of spicy green hops. The hops are floral and there are hints of grapefruit and mango. A really good smelling wheat.

The carbonation is on the lower end of the high range. Body is thin.

As on the nose, there is a huge hop presence in the flavor of this wheat. Many of the wheat characteristics are covered by the hops. The first flavors are of fresh green hops and a slight tropical fruitiness. The finish is a lingering bitterness. This is the most hoppy/bitter American Pale Wheat I've ever had.

4.77/5  rDev +13%

Looking back, is it possible that I gave this beer such high scores???.... yes, it is.

This beer is light and refreshing in body, mouthfeel, and flavor. It's rather dry, but it has the most amazing lemon zest flavor in the aftertaste. For its potency, it has a very aggressive hoppy bite.

Forget hoegaarden and the other so-called thirst quenchers. American micros are king. Gumballhead is the best American Wheat I've ever had.

4.07/5  rDev -3.6%

Gumballhead pours a light, hazy amber color that is more reminiscent of an IPA than a wheat beer. The slightly off-white head was rich but provided minimal lacing.

The aroma... WOW... hops, hops, and more hops. Am I smelling a wheat beer or an IPA?

I'm having a difficult time figuring this brew out. Does it want to be an APA, IPA, or Wheat beer? Perhaps some amalgamation of the three.

The first sip yields a floral hop taste that smoothes out nicely. Unlike an IPA there is no real hop attack. A gentle sweetness quickly follows the hops leaving a pleasant citrus finish.

The mouthfeel deftly walks the line between thick and thin.

This is a very nice beer, one that I would never turn down. But it would not be my first choice if a wheat beer was what my palate craved.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Emerged from the 22 ounce as a medium amber liquid with a thick foamy head. Smell is a nice mixture of bready malt, citrus, and hops Taste is just plain enjoyable, as the malts, citrus, and hops combine to make an excellent brew. Finish is dry, yet fruity. An excellent drinking beer.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A- hazy golden yellow with a fluffy white head

S- strong hop bitterness and grainy aroma with pine being the dominate scent

T- fruity/citrus flavor, spices, hops, sweet finish

M- medium mouthfeel, very smooth and creamy. carbonation is low

D- nice smooth and even flavor makes it extremely easy to drink.

overall- very different from any other wheat beer ive tried. besides the stronger hop presence there just something about the flavor that makes it very unique. $6.00 for a bomer is a bit steep, but its definitely worth it.

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

22oz bomber, with the street-fighting cartoon cat "Gumballhead" on the label.

I figured it's about time for me to finally review this beer, as I've been drinking it all summer long. Graciously stocked (upon request) at HyVee Wine & Spirits locally..to my knowledge..it was the first place in Iowa to stock it. I'm quickly beginning to think that Three Floyds is the best craft brewery in America.

Hands-down, the best summer session beer I've ever had, and I really can't imagine it getting much better than this. While reading some other reviews, someone commented by saying this beer is a "delicate tribute to hops". I think that describes it just about perfectly. The hops are not overwhelming, but go so incredibly well with the pale, wheat flavor & aroma. Citrusy & delicious...one of the most well-crafted beers I've ever had, period.

If the comic book is as good as the beer, I just might have to take up reading.

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%

22 oz. bombers purchased at Shangys last night. I heard great things about this beer so I am so anxious to try this.

Cool label. I never knew that Gumballhead was a cartoon character.

Pours a golden copper. Plenty of carbonation. Not hazy at all like the bottle says or light a wheat beer should be.

Nice big pure white, fluffy head. Great sticking on the glass.

Huge hops in the nose. Love that.

Great hop taste in the mouth. The sweetness of cotton candy follows as I swallow.

Like the bottle says, "It's not normal." Certainly not a normal wheat beer. You know what, though, who cares. This is just great beer. I am becoming a huge fan of 3F. I can't wait to try all their others.

3 Floyd's Gumballhead

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA

Appearance- caramel brown with a thick frothy head.
Smell- fruity/ citrus with a touch of wheat.
Taste- dry citrus floral hops with a mixture of wheat/ hay flavor.It seems to me this is a mixture of an IPA and a wheat. Quite unique!
Mouthfeel- smooth with little to no bitterness.

Overall- a delicious beer that went well with the veggie portobello burger.

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

Bomber picked up at Vintage Cellar (Blacksburg, VA) middle of July. If there's a date on this one, I can't find it. (Dimly lit room, and loads of condensation on the bottle.)

Let's pop this puppy. Oh, wait...that's a cat on the bottle. :)

As it hits the glass, the head comes raging up, full on. Good thing I am using a 20oz! Nice, just barely off white head. Tight at the bottom, looser at the top. Subsides at a medium pace. Wet lace left behind. Underneath is a very slightly hazy, honey coloured brew. A small field of bubbles rises towards the head.

The smell is all about hops and some yeast. It's earthy, fruity hops. It's a fabulous smell. On a deeper inhalation, the wheat comes through. It's letting the hops take the spotlight, though.

The hop flavour definitely shines through up front- but it's much rounder a flavour than the smell would make you think. Not as rough and earthy, but a little woody. The wheat hits right after, and then a woody quality takes over, and finishes with some spiciness over the top. Very nice.

The body is just a slightly heavier than I would expect from the looks of this one. A tight carbonation is felt more on the finish than anywhere else...it builds as the mouthful is starting to become a memory.

I give this one top marks for drinkability. I could easily get in danger here. This one could be a constant companion on sessions.

I won't rave quite as much as some of my contemporaries will- it's a VERY good beer, but I'm not just absolutely wowwed by it as a few folks I've met have been. If I could get this where I live, a bottle would always reside in my beer closet. I'm very happy with it, and will definitely get my grubby little paws on more when the two bombers I have left are gone.

Be well

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Executive Summary: Smells like an IPA, but backs off nicely on the palate, resulting in a refreshing warm-weather brew.

22 oz. bomber purchased in NJ.

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden hue with a fervent head that forces you to divide the pouring into two "sessions."

Smell: Amarillo hops are obvious in the nose, and it just screams "I'm trying to be an IPA!"

Taste: Lightness of a wheat...hops certainly in the flavor but without the lasting bitterness of most hoppy brews. A nice dial-down on the bitterness here.

Mouthfeel: A little thinner than I expected, but it's a nice surprise in the hot weather. The carbonation is perfect. In all, this just feels like a warm season beer.

Drinkability: Could EASILY knock back a sixer of this. Would make a great session brew. I'll have to remember this one.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

Nice amber color with a small white head...subsided to lust a bit of lacing.

Smells all pine hopness. I mean, you could use this beer as an example of the hop odor...no problem.

Tastes like hops...strongly of hops. However, unlike most hoppy beers this has zero bitterness. I've never had anything quite like it. Very tasty and refreshing.

This was an enjoyable brew through the entire pint and a nice change of pace from the typical wheat ale.

You should try it.

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Gumballhead pours a decent though not overly-impressive golden amber colour with a nice sized, sticky white head on top.

The smell is an overwhelmingly pleasant combination of stuff stemming from the hops: floral notes, pine, sweetness, etc. There's also a touch of citrus in the mix as well. Wheat is mildly presnet in the background.

The flavour is more of the same: the hop onslaught is non-stop, yet it is somehow subdued enough that it doesn't really move this one into IPA territory. There is a floral flavour throughout mixed in with wheat throughout. The finish is very sweet but also has a bit of a wood flavour in it as well. It starts to get juicy then goes dry. Weird and different, but good.

The body is nice and full for the style and there's a slick oily feel to it as well.

This is a damn tasty brew overall and a great summer session brew. It far and away has the most flavour of any summer brew I've ever sampled, yet remains pretty simple and thirst quenching at the same time. Yum.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Served on tap in a standard pint glass.

The beer came with a beautiful white head that stuck around through the beer and left lacing on the side of glass. The beer was a just slightly hazy golden yellow. It smelled of citrous and and aromatically hoppy, and the beer tasted with the sort of flavor expected of its aroma. Its taste is just so well balanced, much less bitter than what I had expected because of the IBUs listed at the bar. The beer tasted of the citrous and hops with just enough malt. My girlfriend, like a few other reviews I have seen, really enjoyed this one as well, which doesn't mean it's a light or sweet beer but instead something very well made and balanced. This is a perfect beer for the hott summer months. I'll definitely be picking these up in the store when I get the chance.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.