Join our email list →

Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

American Pale Wheat Ale | 5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,490 | Hads: 5,507
4.43/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass.

L: Pours dark straw yellow with about a finger of white head.

S: Amarillo hops invade my nostrils immediately. Citrus notes emerge with some melon and peach. I can also literally smell the wheat. This beer smells quite sweet.

T: The sweetness comes through immediately. The amarillo hops are a great hop to use in a wheat ale. The citrus, melon and peach flavors come through and eventually fade into strong wheaty flavors. This is really nice.

F: I definitely could drink a lot of these. This beer is very dry, which I expected from the wheat. The alcohol is non-existent and there is a light to medium feel. Very pleasant.

Overall: I can see why this beer is highly regard. I was sent a very fresh bottle of this. The hops and wheat play off each other in a very complementary way. 3 Floyds is obviously known for having extremely hopped beers (with the exception of Dark Lord, of course.) I had expected this beer to be a hop punch in the face, which it was when I initially tasted this. As I progressed through this, the wheat came through to balance the hops and made this a pale wheat ale that I wouldn't mind having again and again.

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Was pleasantly surprised when I took my first drink. Very nice citrus ending. I plan on growing my own hops next season and will definitely look into the Amarillo hops that's used in Gumballhead.
Nice, hop filled flavor.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a pure honey golden color. Aroma is sweet and you get the maltiness. Flavor balanced you get the "gum ball" flavor. Light finish. Overall a very nice beer

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

A slightly hazy golden color. A nice thick head with good retention after an aggressive pour from the bottle. The aroma really sets this beer apart from the other hoppy wheat ales. Great citrus aroma complemented by the wheat background. Flavor follows closely with great citrus and the wheat picking up a little heavier balance in the flavor than in the aroma. Flavors are really well matched with good bitterness in the middle. Very smooth and clean finish. Still the best of the hoppy wheat ales.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tulip.

A - Poured a clear gold, billowy white head.

S - Citrus, with a hint of breadiness.

T - Big citrus hop burst from the start, fading into a residual bitterness and being overtaken in flavor by crisp, sweet, light bready notes. The grain taste is fresh and light. Pretty pronounced residual bitterness.

M - Medium-light body, moderate carbonation. Slightly dry.

O - One of the most characterful pale wheats I've ever had. FFF takes the characteristics of a wheat ale and amps them up to 11.

3.8/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle received via trade. about two months old
A: slightly Cloudy

S: Wheat, Hops, a little sweet bread

T: might have been a little off as it was Not super fresh when I had it so I will need to re rate at a later date.

F: had a light feel decent finish.

O: Good beer but I might be great when fresh, I will visit again when a fresh bottle or tap is available

4.44/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This was pretty good...my first 3floyds. Great hop nose. I haven't had too many hoppy wheat beers so this was a new animal for me. Sweeter/maltier than I expected and got sweeter as it warmed up. Great beer though...enjoyed it but wouldn't drink a bunch in a row.

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L - basic wheat ale, cloudy. Good carbonation.

S - Like a wheat ale, with a kiss of citrusy hops

T - Same as the smell, no difference

F - Feels like wheat

Overall - don't know how this is in the new top 250

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Fresh 12oz. bottle poured into a snifter tasting glass.

A=Poured clearer than expected, yellow to amber, thin white head.

S=Some sweetness and bready malt, lightly scented overall.

T=Malt characteristic of a pale wheat beer, has some hop bitterness and flavor but much more malt forward.

M=Moderate level of carbonation with body on the light side of medium.

O=Good easy drinking beer, nice change of pace to typical American Wheat offerings, light and refreshing with some crisp hop flavor and bitterness.

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Three Floyds has this style that allows the hops to really shine. This beer lets Amarillo shine like the masterful hop it is. The color is a clear golden light brown, the head left something to be desired but there was lacing and the beer was well carbonated otherwise. The mouthfeel was truly amazing however, velvety. The flavor profile is perfectly constructed so there are no strong highs or lows but a casual ride that's enjoyable through and through. There's a nice lemon twist at the end as well. The smell was of a sweet hop and a bit of citrus, and obviously it tasted of the hops but not in an overpowering manner and the grain profile was supportive of the hops.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is another one of 3 Floyds amzing IPAs. This one is great, but does not stack up against some of their other offerings. THe nose smells of strong hops and the flavor is nice, but not the most balanced.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First time trying this style, and I was more than pleasantly surprised. Not typically a wheat beer fan, but adding tons of Amarillo hops was a stellar move. The citrus on the finish just made this beer. I will try to get my hands on more of this in the future.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Just the right amount of hops with a strong malt backbone. My favorite pale wheat. It tickles my wheat and hop fancies. It's honestly so much better within a week of being bottled. Fresh bottles are the only ones that should be judged.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz bottle dated "0585-0588 / 05/07/2015"

A — Pours a light bubbly yellow color, great clarity. There is also a nice and puffy light white colored head that leaves behind very consistent and sticky lacing.

S — Smells of sweet fresh hops and a nice wheat background. Very juicy and sweet.

T — Tastes like the nose, little bit of noticeable wheat malt is present in the beer, quite juicy and hoppy.

M — Light-Medium bodied, nice and medium-long finish.

O — Great overall, a nicely executed hoppy wheat beer.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

1st FFF beer! Slightly hazy yellow with a small head. Smells awesome and hoppy. Wheat and hops dominate the taste. Very crisp and well carbonated. Awesome brew. Bonus points for the awesome cat artwork.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

I had one of these before going to see Lynch Mob at Tailgaters this month & it's not too far from the 3Floyds brew house -this is the best wheat beer I have ever had!...& before I was turned on to ipa's & porters,wheat was my favorite of all the beers...unless I was drinking a miller high life (I know,I know,come a long way)...anyway,when I got to the bar,I thought 3floyds would be on tap,but no! Had to drink guinness from there on out...

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Asheville Beer Week 2015 slender pint glass. Bottleneck says 06/11/2015.

A- Pours a clean medium amber color with a 1/4 inch off-white head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Non-resilient lacing slides quickly down the glass.

S- The amarillo dry-hopping is very apparent and accentuates the sweetness of the wheat. Slight yeasty characteristic gives that bubble gum aspect.

T- Very mild flavor of light hops and substantial wheat malt. Very, very drinkable as it has that slight amount of bitterness that wears off quickly making you want to go back for more. Kind of soily mid-palate.

M- Crisp with medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the lighter side.

O- A neat interpretation of a wheat beer. The hop presence gives it character while the complementary sweetness gives it drinkability. A pretty solid go-to I have to say.

This may be my favorite beer for all seasons. Zombie Dust may be the gold standard when it comes to 3 Floyds, but I like this one just as much. I typically buy this a case at a time. So good, so drinkable. Next time you are on I-80 near Munster, jump off and get yourself a case of Gumballhead and share with your friends.

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The strangest wheat beer I've ever tasted, but it's a very unique flavor and it is one worth trying for sure! Now one of my new favorites! For sure the best 3 Floyds beer out there. It's very light, but full flavored at the same time. It has light flavors of a traditional wheat brew but with normal flavors of a session IPA like light citrus and slight hops. Very hoppy on the nose, but not as much on the palate even though it's referred to a "hoppy wheat" brew. Not sure what they used to pull off the sweet flavor, but I can see where they got the name from as I get a sweet candied taste reminding me of candy like flavor almost like a gumball on the back end. VERY unique and a must try if you ever get the chance.

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

This opens and pours nicely, with a generous head and nice lacing It's hazy and yellow The aroma and look both said IPA, even though I knew that it was not. A very sweet, hoppy aroma.

The unique taste immediately changes gears from the smell. My bottle was nutty tasting at first, then more normal for the style. Perhaps I should have let it sit for a month or two - it was bottled a couple weeks ago. It has a mildly bitter, malty taste, and slightly yeasty taste too. It improves as it warms, but it does not leave me itching for another. The aftertaste is a sweet-bitter lingering.

This unique brew is recommended for a taste.

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very good American Pale Ale that I will be making a road trip to Indiana to visit the brewery! A good scores across but the taste of this brew was very good!

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%

I have no words to truly describe this beer. What I can say is that I've been trying to track it down for 18 months. The best description I can give is that it takes the best parts of an IPA and mixes then with a Hefeweizen to result in one of the best beers that I've ever tasted! It's not perfect, the scent is a little pungent on the nose and the color does not quite fit the taste but this beer has to be tasted to be understood. As an added bonus, the packaging is very fun. Now, to hunt down more!

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into Snifter dated 4/10

A: light gold orange color with great clarity bubbly thick head

S: very hoppy citrusy has that overripe melon smell

T: very nice citrusy taste very similar to yum yum though

M: not bad a little creamy for a wheat it's thicker which is nice

O: this is a great wheat beer but with none of the wheat taste it's just a citrusy hoppy beer. Tastes a lot like Yum yum I tried earlier. The beers are quite similar in taste maybe a water thing this is a nice pale ale but kinda a shitty wheat if that makes sense

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - See through dull, light colored gold. White, medium head.

Smell - Has the dank hop aroma. There is malt as well. Not really "wheat."

Taste - Very good wheat (mellow), hop (slight bitter), and malt taste. There is a bread aftertaste. Not very floral or fruity.

Feel - Stings the tongue. Feels like water.

Overall - Drink this on a porch. This is a good wheat to ale transition beer.

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date 03/18/2015 on the bottleneck. It's been a long long time since I've last had this beer, so I figured it was time to revisit. Acquired a single bottle from the local beer store.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a crisp golden body with excellent clarity and just a bit of yeast sediment noticeable in the glass. About a finger of frothy white head that stays awhile and leaves good thin strands of lacing.

S - The aroma really isn't doing anything for me, slightly disappointing. Fruity, berry-ish, soapy, & floral from the Amarillo hops. A bit of an earthy / grainy sort of wheat presence is there I suppose, but not very pronounced. A flat, one-dimensional aroma. A bit swampy & herbal. I'm liking the smell less and less as it goes on.

T - The taste is more of the same: soapy, floral, and indistinctly fruity, with some almost berry-ish qualities imparted from the hopping.

M - The feel is dry and grainy on the end. Smooth & crisp, but very drying on the finish, with a strange yeasty aftertaste.

Overall, I'd call this one an unimpressive offering from Three Floyds, and definitely over-hyped. In the realm of American Pale Wheat Ales, I would choose Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale over this one any day.

Three Floyds Gumballhead -----3.5/5

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.