Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

GF's sixer from brewery, drink one.

A&S: very pungent grapefruitty hops accompanied by some light and rye-like grains along with lemons and peaches. Very lively looking light copper transparent looking beer. Fizzy head the hangs on the surface.

T&M: Let me preface this by saying I would consider myself at least for the most part a hop head. So of course I liked this beer because it extremely hopped for the style, but I also think it works well with this beer. Slice of bitterness in the middle but fades to being very mild in the finish. Similar to the smell with the fruityness and light grains. Carbonation is high maybe a bit too much but hells its a summer beer, body is I believe medium but its hard to tell.

Overall: Good for the style, another great beer from Three Floyds have only tried like 5 or so of there beers but I would say they are still one of my favorite breweries. They are like Founders in the sense that they just dont make bad beer period.

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured 12oz bottle into Duvel Tulip

A - Pours hazy straw/gold with nice white two fingers head; moderate retention and minimal lacing.

S - Floral hops, citrus and tropical fruit. Kind of sweet, wheat is subtle but overall really great aroma.

T - Hops are tropical and citrus, grassy wheat is noticeable with some sweet malt, touch of bitterness in the finish.

M- Good amount of carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

O - This beer is one of my favorite summer thirst quenchers. Fantastic taste and very drinkable. Very well done!

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass
no born on date

Thanks to Mark000 for sending this want over as an extra

A: Crystal clear pale straw yellow with just under 1 fingers width of white head, which dissipates down fairly quickly to just a thin film.  Looks like a Bud heavy, boo.  Leaves a few small patches of lacing on the glass.

S: Light citrus aromas including tangerine, peach, and refreshing lemon lime. A touch of spice.  Noticeable wheat sweetness backbone.

T: Taste is wheat, a bit of spice, some citrus zest.  There is an American Adjunct-like flavor at first but luckily that dissipates as it warms in the glass.  Rather bland IMO.

M/D: Light and thin, with a refreshing crispness.  Drinkability is good.

O: Overall, Im not impressed.  I know its a summer style, and its meant to be crisp and refreshing, but it falls short in both aroma and flavor for me.  The wheat presence is not heavy, which I could happily deal with if the hops were kicked up a notch.  But as is, as I said above, it just comes off as pretty bland to me. If Im going to drink a pale wheat, give me Lil Sumpin Sumpin any day of the week!   This is not something I would likely drink again, but Im glad I got to try it.  Also happy to try the #1 rated beer in a given style.

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz bottle with no freshness date slowly decanted into a Perfect Pint glass.

A - Bright blonde with a moderate white head. Haze is very minimal. Carbonation appears high. Good head retention.

S - Grapefruit & peach with grassy undertones.

T - Complex flavor profile. Initial carbonation bite mixes with a sweet citrusy hop flavor and refreshing bready maltiness. Middle is citrusy hop flavor - intense! Becomes more complex in the fruitiness (tropical fruit salad) with a bread-like wheat flavor in the background. Finish has a pine-like hoppiness, very dry.

M - Medium body with high carbonation. Works well together.

O - Exceedingly complex, beyond my high expectations. Just because a beer is refreshing doesn't mean it's not complicated. World-class.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Have been dying to try this for a long time!

A- Very light golden color with minimal head. Wasn't what I was expecting going in, though I was aware that this was a very American interpretation of a wheat beer.

S- Smells fantastic! The hops mingle very well with the wheat and yeast notes, not simply just an overhopped wheat beer, there's actually more balance than I expected here.

T- Same as the nose; yes, there is an assertive citrus hop quality to the beer, but you never forget you're drinking a wheat beer. Drinkability is through the roof

M- a little thin, but I noticed when entering the review that it is listed as a pale wheat beer, so I guess that's to be expected, but I still like my wheat beers with a tad more body, but at the same time, the thinner body leads to insane drinkability...which leads to...

Me having to bump up the overall mark a bit because if I lived anywhere near FFF, I'd have a case of this in my fridge at all times! awesome thirst quencher while also not lacking any flavor. NEED MORE

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle served in a Three Floyds pint glass.

Pour: Nearly clear yellow orange with two fingers white head, that recedes to a film and leaves decent lacing. Some carbonation bubbles come up from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Grassy, floral hoppiness, mixed in with a nice citrus hoppiness. A definite wheat breadyness comes through in the backbone,

Taste: Really nice grapefruit bitterness up front, that intertwines with a honey breadyness. A nice clean sweetness.

Mouthfeel: I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I think this is the most drinkable beer of all time. Bitterness makes you savor every sip, but its so light and refreshing you immediately want more.

Overall: The first American craft beer that made me get into all of this. An amazing beer I wil always come back to.

Gumballhead from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub