Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,001 | Reviews: 1,469

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Crystal clear and golden yellow in color. This is very well carbonated which means the one finger white head had some staying power. This is a very attractive beer.
The aromas coming from this beer are very strong. I smell grapefruit and wheat and these aromas linger till the beer is gone. As it warms I'm able to pick up some ester aromas which I assume is coming from the yeast.
First is bitter grapefruit hop flavors followed by the wheat flavors which are more toasted and bitter than sweet. It does finish with a nice lemony note which is quite pleasant.
The beer is thin bodied and crisp. I've got the bitter hops up front with the toasted wheat to follow. As it warms it seems to sweeten just a little and then I get the dry lemony finish.
This is an amazing beer. It took me awhile to finally get a taste and it was worth the wait. There is no doubt in my mind that that I will pick this up again and again, if of course I'm able to find it.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

A-Clear orange yellow, not much carbonation, but it does try and leave behind some lacing.

S-Grassy hops, wheat with citrus and floral hops as well. Nicely balanced together.

T-Wheat, grass floral and citrus hops, ends with a mild bitterness with balances with the malt and hop flavors.

M-Medium bodied, some carbonation, very crisp and refreshing.

O-A great beer, I need to have it again as having it after Zombie Dust did not do this beer any justice.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Momar42 for the bottle, and double thanks for providing me with my first Three Floyds beer!! About 6 oz poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a golden yellow color with nice clarity - something I'm not used to in wheat ales. The head is a one finger eggshell shade with some nice lacing down the glass.

S: Fairly tropical, with that distinctive Amarillo hop aroma. Tea leaves, mango, papaya, and grapefruit all come across, but perhaps not quite as vividly as I hoped. Still, it smells like it will be up my alley...

T: Much like the aroma, it's hoppy; but with the focus on tropical fruits, rather than pine/herbal notes. It's very citrusy to start (like I expect out of a good IPA), but the wheat that comes through in the mid-taste smooths things out like a baws. What catches me off guard is the subtle complexity featured, transitioning from slightly sweet to slightly bitter in different stages (and this isn't even a full bottle!) Not quite as drinkable as expected, but surprisingly joyous to savor.

M: Slightly heavy in its texture, which is my only real beef here. It's dry, crisp, and drinkable, which is what I want out of my hoppy beers, with the strong carbonation I expect out of a wheat beer.

O: I normally don't like plain wheat ales, unless they're hoppy. This fits said criteria nicely, so it's plain to see that I enjoy this a whole lot. This was my first from FFF, and needless to say, it lived up to the hype for me. I would drink the shit out of this in hot weather - if only I didn't live in Maryland...

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.