Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

An American Wheat Ale, Gumballhead is named in honor of the underground comic book cat created by Rob Syers. Initially a seasonal summer beer, now brewed year round due to demand. This beer helped redefine American Wheat Beers. Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness make Gumballhead a refreshing American Wheat Beer that doesn’t suck.

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
SolomonGrundy

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Only 5.5% ABV, what's the World coming to!!??

Another from great trader Brian44556...Cheers mate!

Pours a clear and crisp light straw colored amber. Not much of a head formed, which surprised me given the decent carbonation. No real lacing. Aromas are very "fresh", as would be expected. Some interesting, almost IPA like aromas flailing around in there. Some caramel/vanilla notes plus MAYBE a little pineapple. Flavor is, well, wheaty. Tastes like a citrusy hefeweizen-amber ale, in a way. Very unique (aren't all the FFF brews unique?). Actually, the wheat hits right away, then flashes away and leaves me wanting it again. Strange brewm, this one. The finish is a touch more hoppy than I expected, like the additional hops was an afterthought. Not sure how much I like this beer. It appears to be trying too many things at once. Like the dudes were standing around and were all "Hey, we could add some extra hops...Hey, we could add some caramel malt...Hey, we could go CRAZY!!"...I think this is probably very well priced, so it's likely worth the price. Not sure it's worth MY price, though.

WHat I like most: The tantalizingly unique flavor profile.

What I like least: The tantalizingly unique flavor profile.

Verdict: STrange brew, not really my style. Worth trying out of novelty, though.

01-15-2011 02:38:23 | More by SolomonGrundy
smakawhat

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into a wheat ale style glass withe a big fat white foamy giant four finger head. Some large bubbles some minimal retention. Great perfect clear gold body with just gorgeous elevator music on it from the bottom.

Candy apple nose, and biscuit, just pure dreamy almost cotton candy like with not a fake over powering cloy sugar sweetness on the nose.

Faint bread at first then a giant sweetness finishing off with a huge wheat field rush, hops, and aromatics... WOW just flat out neat, not bitter, not weak, even a crispness... I am wildly impressed by this beer and wish I could get more.

01-14-2011 20:48:37 | More by smakawhat
Tifore

Recieved from Josh (Alleykatking). Thanks! Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my DFH Pint.

A - Pours a golden color with some amber hues to it with a pretty decent haze which is expected. Looks very bright and with good carbonation. A nice two finger head forms and bright white head forms and dissapates moderatly to a cap and then to nothing. The head leaves light lacing on the side of the glass till its finished.

S - Wheat and hops steal the show on this beer which is suprising because I find most wheats that I have tried haven't had this sort of hops background that this one does, at least in the nose. Lots of grassy and earthy notes from the wheat though are present.

T - I get wheat at the beginning, really bright tasting, followed by a bit of the hops, but those are muted more in the mouth. You can taste the progression is very layered in the mouth, each thing comes and goes and then finishes really quick with no real after taste besides a bit of grassiness.

M - Mouthfeel is nice, a big blast of carbonation hits you and then fades very fast as well, part of those layered tastes I was talking about in the taste section.

D - A highly drinkable wheat beer that I'd love have again in the heat of summer on a super humid day sitting out in my yard after working on the garden.

01-14-2011 00:25:20 | More by Tifore
southsider

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a freshly tapped keg into a 20 oz glass.

A-Poured a hazy golden yellow with a rocky off-white three finger head that slowly imploded leaving extensive sticky lacing on the glass.

S- A wall of citrusy,fruity hops engulfed me while the server was still 10 feet away. I have never had a more pungent aroma from a beer than this Amarillo hopped tsunami.

T- Opening salvo of amarillo hops more bark than bite letting me taste wheaty,bready malts mixed with spicy,lemony notes.The beer finishes smooth and dry.

M- Well carbonated which seems to work well for this beer with a medium light body.

D- Honestly, the smell is the best damn thing about this beer and if you can get it super fresh its DOUBLE RAINBOW!! However, its quality decays rapidly and old kegs and bottles are weak and faded.

I live in the vicinity of Three Floyds and many bars and restaurants I frequent have Gumballhead on tap.I always ask for a sample before buying and it can be hit or miss. Bottles are more consistant but still fade relatively quickly.

This is my number one refrigerator beer because more visitors seem to like it over other craft beers and the lowish ABV means I can drink it all day long. And I do.

01-13-2011 23:43:05 | More by southsider
timtim

District of Columbia

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

the original sumpin'... just sayin'. burnt gold with an off-white head that holds forever and leaves big lace. sweet, red wheat and fruity, fruity, citrusy amarillo rule this one in the nose and taste. to me it is a hop bomb, and all the fruity goodness and sweet wheat translate into a flavor that actually is reminiscent of the bubblegum we used to get as kids from machines. a little bit of lemon, citrus, tropical fruit and bubblegummy esters. really unique and quite hoppy, but more so in the dry-hop sense, seeing as there is minimal bitterness in the medium body that goes down slick, silky and a little chewy. very good, very unique, and masterfully balanced for such a hoppy beer. still as good as the first time i tried it.

01-13-2011 12:45:13 | More by timtim
sprucetip

Alaska

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Lots of big hop and yeast chunks are visible after the pour! More than in my homebrew DIPA. Sweet! It's also quite active, and eventually the sediment settles and it has pretty good clarity, especially considering how it started. The thick white foam on top hung out for a bit, then settled to film and ring. More golden than yellow in color.

Bright, citrusy, amarillo hops are balanced perfectly by the wheaty malty sweet body. Smells way bigger than it is. Inviting and intriguing.

Like the nose, but not as rich and deep. The same amarillo/malty/wheaty mix, but just good, not exceptional. Bitterness is mellow.

adequate carbonation, thin/medium body, crisp finish.

This beer has alot of the hop character, especially in the nose, of a good IPA or APA, but without the bitterness and as much booze. A great, easy drinking stepping stone toward the hoppy end of the beer spectrum.

01-12-2011 05:02:29 | More by sprucetip
SuperNova777

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

A:Pours a see thru golden color with a thick white head with excellent lacing left down the glass

S:Not what you expect, nice wheat undertones with a big hop aroma followed up afterwards

T:Nice wheat tones up front and in the middle with a attack of hops on the backend that then take over the palate.

M:Excellent body with near perfect carbonation, palate is once again dominated by those hops that seems to pull this brew together

D:Hands down the best wheat brew out there, doesn't even taste like any other wheat beer I have ever had. Easy drink with great taste and aroma, could drink this all the time and usually do. Get your hands on some

01-09-2011 05:51:50 | More by SuperNova777
afksports

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

Thanks to Steve for this in my recent box of goodies! I've been waiting to try this one.

Gumballhead pours smooth, with a small head, and then sits a little hazy and straw colored. The aroma features the citrusy amarillo hops they note on the bottle along with tons of wheat.

It tastes like wheat, starts and finishes with hops, and is most definitely pale. Gumballhead feels light although it has a good alcohol content, and it's surely an easy drinker.

I can give it props for doing the style well. Just doesn't seem to be a style that I much enjoy. Ho hum.

01-08-2011 03:51:19 | More by afksports
heythere

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Light yellow/gold, very small carbonation bubbles, white head with decent retention.

Aroma: You can smell the wheat immediately, some light hop aroma with slight citrus notes

Taste: more hop flavor than I remembered, grapefruity, some hop bitterness in the back of the throat, aftertaste is of hop bitterness and dry

Mouthfeel: light body, highly carbonated with small bubbles

Overall: Such a tasty beer, I'm not usually a huge fan of American Wheats but Gumballhead is hopped up enough. These will be great once summer comes around again, perfect to bring to the beach or just drink sitting around.

01-04-2011 18:12:56 | More by heythere
SamuelJackson45

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

A- Pours a golden body with a white head.

S- Smell of hops and a scent of grass..

T- Taste of wheat and hops and a hint of grass but this works great.

M- Semi dry with a grassy note with hops linger through out sip.

D- Very Good. My first Hoppy wheat beer and it's hoppy. Very tasty beer. I need to get some more. ISO ISO...

Cheers...

01-04-2011 16:33:38 | More by SamuelJackson45
stakem

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this brew serveral times over the last year but only getting around to reviewing it now care of a bottle from adamb0719. Thanks Adam! Reviewed on 12/13/10.

Pours a crystal clear light golden yellow color. A white head composed of large fizzy bubbles forms and fades quick hanging close to the edges of the glass. A thin patch of lace resides atop this brew and forms some spotty lacing on the glass.

The aroma is grassy hops that also includes a bit if fruited smell and citrus. Notes of orange and tropical fruits are evident. A light grainy backing of wheat sweetness fills in the back portion of the nose.

The taste is grassy, leafy hops upfront with bitter citrus rind. Mid palate includes fruit flavors before turning herbal and bitter with wheat and other grainy tastes. It finishes with a lingering grain flavor and herbal hops.

Light bodied and modestly carbonated. This is a very drinkable beer that I would go to all summer long if it was regulary available. Surprisingly I found this bottled offering to be much more enjoyable then when I had it on tap back in April.

01-03-2011 17:26:22 | More by stakem
dbossman

Nebraska

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Nice golden hue with a thin head; bubbly; lacing is okay

S: A surprising alcohol presence; grainy with a fairly subdued hop presence: piney and oily

T: A great hop bitterness; lots of pine and hop oils but a pleasant grainy malt presence sits below; a refreshing beer

F: Good carbonation; nice even mouth feel

D: Very drinkable; great refreshing and easy drinking beer

01-03-2011 04:34:05 | More by dbossman
zaxwizard

Kentucky

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured into a fluted glass. Served ice cold.

This wheat beer poured a full 1 and 1/2 half to 2 fingers of frothy/eggnog like foam. I sometimes blame my pouring style but feel this head was intentional by the brewmasters.

The color was an almost clear honey/dark hued yellow. Slightly cloudy but that vanished rather quickly.

Despite the description written on the bottle I heartily digress that lemon is the key smell or taste dominant in this wheat beer. I attribute both the smell and taste as a harmonious blend of grapefruit and very filtered water. If you can imagine the old grapefruit juice cans (made of steel) with a steel foil tab. That's the aroma. Not to demean the beer--I find it to be excellent and delicious but was reminded of the old cans of grapefruit juice when I tasted it.

I found the beginning and the finish to be even. There was no change or crescendo in initial taste to swallow. This is odd to me as I find almost all beers to dramatically change in taste both during and after the drinking process. This quality combined with the fruity/wheat yumminess proves to be an excellent drinking beer. I will seek this out again with vigor. Highly recommend.

01-03-2011 01:01:30 | More by zaxwizard
thecarster1

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

bottle courtesy of daveonba, cheers dave!

a- bottle poured into a weizen, slight haze golden honey brown coloring, one plus fingers fade quickly to a layer of large and small bubbles.

s- wow. bright pink grapefruit, zesty lemon - very apparent, wheat is on the back burner here and i'm not minding in the slightest.

t- lemon, hello again, highly bittered, zippy grapefruit juice and pith, really really tasty.

m- medium, slick and coating.

d- gumballhead breaks the mold for what a apwa can be, this is definitely up there with little sumpin sumpin, i get more bitterness here than in alpha king. this is very drinkable - if i had access to this brewery this would be a staple in my fridge for sure.

01-02-2011 22:03:45 | More by thecarster1
Erish

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

I had this beer on tap at the Houlihan's in Shererville, IN.

A: clear, bright yellowish amber, big, fluffy white head, excellent retention, great cap & lacing.

S: floral and citrus hops, sweet wheat bread, hint of bubble gum, grassy and piny notes.

T: sweet wheat bread and bubble gum up front, lemon and orange citrus, floral, grass, and hint of pine in the middle, grassy note predominates the finish, along with a floral note.

M: light-bodied, watery to silky, moderate+ carbonation, finish is herbaceous.

D: reminded me of a light version of their Pride & Joy.

01-02-2011 19:21:45 | More by Erish
hopsolutely

Ontario (Canada)

A fantastically refreshing wheat beer with a stunningly assertive taste.

Pale yellow colour with a very light haze. Poured an awful lot of head - not sure whether that's a sign of too little or too much bottle aging yeast, or if that's just the way this beer is - unfortunately only have the one bottle.

Subtle aroma, but followed with an eye-openingly brilliant taste. Amarillo hops, lots of them and beautifully done. Definitely a beer I will seek out again.

01-01-2011 23:22:45 | More by hopsolutely
Franz4

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to a beer-minded buddy who happened to be traveling past the brewpub and picked up a 6 for me. Something I've wanted to try for a while.

A- pours a translucent golden color with lots of little bubbles rising from the glass. Only a small head that settled quickly.

S- nose was all citrus, but this also seemed to fade quicker than normal... it was nice when it was there, maybe I just got used to it quicker than normal.

T- nice solid citrus profile here, starts grapefruit and ends lemon, but there's no real aversive bitterness here, yet it's still hoppy, one of the few beers I've had that is able to achieve this. Also a touch of wheat to it, almost like the crunchy shell of a good french loaf.

M- sparkles on the tongue with a just right amount of carbonation. Flavor stays with you for a while, but it's consistent throughout and I wouldn't call it an aftertaste due to the fact that it doesn't change.

D- very drinkable brew that I will enjoy finishing the 5 I have left. Definitely worthy of a try, but I'm not sure it lives up to all the hype it gets.

12-31-2010 03:37:08 | More by Franz4
latackbeer

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Favorite of the American Wheat Ales!! I've heard this many times and know for a fact My gf is not a beer lover but will easily take one of my Gumball Heads!!

The color is Golden with slight orange pours a 2 finger head that dissipates into a half rocky head that climbs down the glass!!

Taste is hops with some lemon breaks up the dryness you get from other wheats! Carbonation is great

I could easily drink a 6pack of this and love every drop! This is a great wheat ale but one of the hardest to find even though I work at a liquor store we only get a limited supply so if you fall in love, stock up!!

12-30-2010 05:07:58 | More by latackbeer
leakyfaucet12

Wisconsin

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

First off I just now realized that I have not reviewed this beer and this is funny because it is one of my favorittes and the craft beer that turned me onto this wonderful hobby of ours.

The appearance rocks! huge head and a golden orange body and is consistent with its color. The bubbles shoot up to the whip cream like head.

Smell is citrusy hopps and fills my nose with almost a lemony smell

Taste is amazing. It is a hoppy taste with out the bitterness. This beer makes me feel like it is summer.

Mouthfeel is great the only reason it isnt a 5 is because of it being just a tad light

Drinkability on this one is the highest I have ever had. I could drink one of these everyday and have to be pretty self diciplined not to just drink the whole six pack.

I have to applaud three floyds for having one of the best beers I have ever tasted

12-27-2010 01:27:21 | More by leakyfaucet12
GregBlatz

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

Second Three Floyd's I've had a chance to try.

A - Very straw like color. head is almost non existent. Beer is very clear. Particularly because it is a wheat beer. No chill haze and no protein or yeast haze.

S - Citrus hops and slight grain. Not very aggressive.

T - Wow, the hops really come forward. Great orange citrus flavor. Graininess and bitterness at the finish. Very slight fruity esters.

M - Thin, not very carbonated and very session like.

D - Very drinkable and refreshing. This would be great on a hot summer day. Too bad it is the middle of winter in Ohio.

Overall I really like this. It is a thinner, smaller pale ale. Hard to even tell that there is wheat in there. Just a graininess in the finish. I don't detect any specialty grains at all. This is a simple refreshing summer beer for those that love American hops.

12-26-2010 20:15:38 | More by GregBlatz
Buschyfor3

Kentucky

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

A: Golden, crisp, very clean and clear body; fairly thin white head that quickly recedes; lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass

S: Maybe my nose wasn't working, but this seemed rather tame on the nose; some grainy notes, a touch of pine and resin-y notes from the hops

T: Taste makes up for the nose - much stronger here with a very hoppy punch up front. Pine, grapefruit notes followed by a nice dose of maltiness to balance the body. Picking up sweet, biscuit notes, toasted grain. A citrusy pucker wins over the aftertaste.

M: Real nice, good slickness.

D: Pretty easy to finish off a glass of this. Packing a lot of flavor for just 5.5% ABV.

Another great offering from FFF on tap at Rich O's.

12-24-2010 03:20:24 | More by Buschyfor3
zoso1967

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a very nice honey tinged amber color. This beer carries only the slightest hint of the cloudiness that is usually associated with wheat beers. It seems to have low carbonation and as a result has only a little bit of a bright white head. What little head there is leaves pretty nice lacing.

The aroma is quite interesting. Very clean with a nice lemon zest character as well as a bit of tropical type hop smells, clean malt sweetness and just a hint of wheat.

The flavor is much like the aroma. Nice and clean with the wheat being only a subtle component to the brew. It has a very nice lemony citrus hop character, as well as more of the tropical fruitiness. Perhaps a bit of cracker like flavors as well. This is very refreshing.

The mouthfeel is on the light end of medium for this beer, with a carbonation that is spot on. Not too vigorous or gentle, it seems to hit the sweet spot. Speaking of hitting the spot, this beer finishes wonderfully with a nice, slightly zesty flavor left on the tongue.

This is super drinkable and by far the best American wheat beer that I have ever had. It makes me wish that more breweries were making wheat beers like this. Yet another great beer from Three Floyds.

12-19-2010 20:34:03 | More by zoso1967
ferrari29

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from bottle into Pint Glass

A - Beer poured with a gold clear body; one finger frothy white foam formed and dissipated relatively quickly; saw a higher than usual amount of sediment floating in the beer; active amount of carbonation; good amount of lacing; slight oily appearance

S - Flowery aroma blast; hyped up with hop back-end; finishes with a great crispy scent; orange, lemon and other fruits come up too (peachy)

T - Refreshing citrus-flower and hop taste; nice touch of hops and other fruity ingredients; hint of biscuit malts taste; fantastic blend of citrus flavors; taste moves around your mouth stimulating all your taste buds, washes over your tongue and finishes off with a slight hop bitterness and a mild dry aftertaste

M - Full of flavor; creamy consistency; oily mouthfeel; smooth feel with a mild amount of carbonation

D - Just a fantastic drink; one of my personal favorites; I could have quite a few of these and be very happy; FFF brewers did a fantastic job coming up with a unique blend of ingredients to produce a memorable beer

12-19-2010 03:20:09 | More by ferrari29
lovindahops

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

onto my second FFF beer this evening. I have my fingers crossed that I enjoy this as much as I did Alpha King

A- a ridiculously carbonated unfiltered golden yellow body that has a solid white head of foam on the top. There is some stickiness of lacing, but not overwhelming. The brew looks like the Gatorade of Craft Beer... thirst quenching for the warm weather

S- strong citrus hops and lemon zest are all over the nose of the brew. The hops are an explosion with the scent. There are some biscuity themes that no doubt highlight the wheat component of the brew

T- home run! The lemony taste is tied together with the citric hop bitterness. The brew is dry at the end and crisp at the same time at the end of the brew. Plain and simple... it's just tasty

M- good flavor that is crisp, carbonated, and good with coating on the mouth

D- Gumballhead is another unbelievable brew from FFF. I challenege anyone to find a better drinkable brew for a resfreshing drink. I will try to find more of these somehow, someway!

12-19-2010 00:22:46 | More by lovindahops
Evbowski

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

Gumballhead, my favorite beer. Love that its brewed here in Indiana as well, which makes it readily available. Pours a light bronze color with a light head. Leaves a lacy trail. The taste is wonderful. The wheat is prevalent and delicious. A great beer overall, enjoyed year round. Really though, with FFF, you can't go wrong.

12-16-2010 16:18:49 | More by Evbowski