Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

An American Wheat Ale, Gumballhead is named in honor of the underground comic book cat created by Rob Syers. Initially a seasonal summer beer, now brewed year round due to demand. This beer helped redefine American Wheat Beers. Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness make Gumballhead a refreshing American Wheat Beer that doesn’t suck.

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Stumbled across a 6 pack while at a grocery store on my last trip to Chicago and knew it had gotten high marks, had to give it a try.
12 oz bottle, Poured hazy orange-peach colored. Yeast is added bottle conditioning, so obviously it will be cloudy. Shimmery, white head is solid and full, lots of lace strings.
Lots of tropical fruit smells, pineapple is most dominant, also sense some mango and citrus.
Great flavor, wheaty, fruity, and lots of hops.
Perfect summer-time beer, cool and refreshing. Light body, lemony citric finish. I could drink several of these, especially after a hard days work out in the sun.
This is very good wheat beer, with an extra kick of hoppiness.

Note to Self: Ranked #1 American Pale Wheat Ale
when I tried it.

06-16-2009 20:01:17 | More by BigBry
bonsreeb85

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks Bob for the chance to give this one a go.

The first time around i was not impressed, perhaps i was expecting something different, so this is a refined edition after giving this beer a second chance. again, thanks for another bottle Bob.

A - this one poured out a cloudy golden color w/ about a half inch ivory head that stayed around for some time, and also provided some sexy lacing. this is possibly the best looking american wheat beer i've laid eyes on.

S - lemon, wet grass and wheat bread(duh) the hops give off a citrus and floral aroma. very interesting.

T - first sip imppression: heavy on the hops for a wheat(this is a good thing in my book) sweet caramel and wheat malts are battleing it out with the spicy hops. i absolutely love this combo, this beer is like an ipa brewed with wheat malt, as opposed to a "hopped up wheat"

Mf - tight lively and highly carbonated: this gives us a very crisp beer w/ a light body, that quenches w/ a passion!

D - exellent beer, great in the summer, but i could see myself drinking this one anytime really. (that is if 3floyd's showed Colorado more love, oh well)

06-16-2009 18:44:30 | More by bonsreeb85
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazed gold with a thin white film and just the slightest touch of lace. Lots and lots of amarillo in the nose. Very hoppy flavour for an american pale wheat, and again the amarillo dominate with a great fruitiness and sweet biscuit malt. Body is good - fairly light, but that's expected and it does help contribute to a refreshing and exceptionally drinkable beer.

Cheers Bry!

06-14-2009 14:41:51 | More by bobsy
bryanbrick

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

This was an extra from d0b. My first trader and he really hooked me up. Thanks buddy. This was my first beer back after a horrible, horrible week.

I love the wackiness of the FFF labels. A perfect combination of playfulness, cubism and early '90's day glow.

Bottle undated. This was poured vigorously and did little. Barely any head formed and was shy to come back with some hearty swirling of the glass. Clear as day with a nice orange hued bronze color. With the slightest bit of husk particles clinging to the bottom of the head. A bit disappointing in this department. But looks aren't everything.

A bit different aromatically for a wheat beer. You really get more hops (Amarillo) than the grainy, banana, clove and estery notes you'd associate with a wheat beer. I like it but it caught me a bit off guard at first. The gets deeper and the dried fruitiness of the Amarillo hops really comes on strong as this warms.

On the palate this seems a bit light, transparent and ghost-ish. A kind of now you taste it now you don't beer. With all the hops in the nose you'd expect a carryover but they are barely there. With the wheat you'd expect the citrusy, grainy goodness, but alas there is little. The light lemon, rolled oat and cinnamon sugar spice is nice enough but very short of amazing.

I like the low carbonation and the broad feel to this beer. It lingers. It grows sip after sip, those light flavors grow and grow. And the brightness at the edges of the mouth is a nice touch.

Overall I think this may be a less than fresh bottle given the mildness of the Amarillo hops which I typically find to be very agressive when present and young. Why do people still not date the bottles they produce? Can't figure it out.

Bottom line not an "Extreme" beer but a well crafted one and one I would truly enjoy putting down a 6pk at a time. With the <5% ABV this also won't put a huge hurt on ya. Summer time fun!

Thanks again Dave for the great trade and the great beers. You are a champ!

06-14-2009 05:02:11 | More by bryanbrick
dmfrench

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

A Summer Standard
___

A: Lovely slightly cloudy goldenrod with a fairly persistent white one finger head.

S: A load of tropical fruit, mostly mango, along with a solid measure of bitter hops... quite a bouquet.

T: The reverse of the nose... the hops take the driver's seat, while the fruit rides in the back. A bit of sweet malt lies bound in the trunk.

M: Light but not trivial... a hair grainy.

D: Limitless.

06-13-2009 08:58:26 | More by dmfrench
chiefthreebeers

Vermont

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Picked this up at a liquor store in Chicago. Hard to find. I heard they are having trouble making enough of it, so it peaked my interest.

Poured 12oz. bottle it into my Duvel Apero glass.

A. Golden pale color, some sentiment visible. Unique appearance for a wheat beer. I was expecting a cloudy, Hefe theme, this was a refreshing change.

Aroma of hops. Lots and lots of Amarillo I imagine.

Mouth feel is soft and flavor of hops. I don't think I have ever had hoppier wheat.

Finishes smooth with some bitterness. Sweet and sour notes with hints of honey.

Overall I found this to be a very interesting beer. Original and inventive. I figure the funky package has helped with the success of the beer. Hipsters probably gravitate towards the cartoon character smoking a cigarette on the label. Nice beer, good for a session or two.

06-11-2009 01:30:06 | More by chiefthreebeers
jlb307

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Bell's pint glass. Trade from gorby10826 (Thanks, Mike!)

A: Pours a clear straw yellow, more clear than I see in a lot of wheat beers. An unbelievably thick and fluffy head that, once it dissipated, left a nice layer of sticky lacing all over the inside of the glass.

S: Very floral almost to the point of perfume. My wife even commented that it smelled like some of her wine (not that she'd drink this, though!). Citrus and honey present in the aroma, more so than the wheat.

T: This is what I think a wheat beer should taste like. Clean and crisp, just enough hops, and it puts you in the immediate mindset of summertime. Slight grapefruit taste that lingers just the least little bit.

M: Nice balance with the carbonation. Very light feel to it, which is a nice compliment to the taste.

D: Very easy to drink. If I could get this where I live, I'd have it almost every day. Stupid PA.

05-30-2009 01:42:30 | More by jlb307
marvin213

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

It looks like a wheat beer--a nice blend of yellow and brown--with a paradoxical type of muddy clarity. A nice, thin film retains itself impressively for the head on a wheat beer. Nothing pourous and bubbly like an obnoxiously carbonated beverage, but a thin, respectable head with a retentive quality. Swirling the beer in my glass provides for impressive lacing. This strikes me as uniquely bold-looking wheat beer.

Wow--the smell is surprisingly pleasant and pleasantly poignant. I smell hops in this here wheat beer. It's also appealing like the smell of a fruit. Can I really smell peaches and cherries? Strawberries? I often scoff at ridiculously detailed aroma descriptions that indicate the presence of an ingredient cornucopia; I feel like the smell on this one, however, is overloaded. I don't know how it could smell more alluring. It smells like a friggin' orchard!

My initial taste is more a carbonation sensation than anything else. I can't believe I don't taste more than this. It's a stark contrast to what I felt was only a feeble attempt to smell all the flavor; instead, I find myself struggling to detect something distinctive. I taste maybe some lemon, and maybe some of the strawberry I earlier detected. The taste is okay, but after that smell, I can't help but be disappointed. It's astonishingly neutral like a (gasp!) Butt Light. It's better than that, but where is everything that makes this one smell like bubble gum? I've never experienced such a contrast. I guess it's better-than-average, but my main reaction to the taste is a letdown relative to my initial judgment.

As I continue trying to figure out what all was in that smell, I'm tasting grapefruit. This contributes to a mouthfeel of acidic carbonation. Unfortunately, it's reminiscent of soda. My very first Three Floyds beer, and I feel like I'm skydiving or something--I've jumped off a cliff. I'm more certain about the grapefruit, but less certain about the beer.

It's crazy drinkable. I've downed it pretty quick trying to understand it. It's a very neat beer and, as I come to terms with what this beer is, I'm very pleased with this Three Floyds selection. Many thanks to mynie for providing this selection. It's a really unique wheat beer. I may have gotten a little ahead of myself embracing the look and the smell, but it's undoubtedly an enjoyable beer.

05-24-2009 23:25:50 | More by marvin213
Beejay

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

A: Pale amber, with some dark chunks in it, what I am assuming is the yeast from bottle conditioning.. Nice white head.

S: Hops. Some grassy notes. What you would expect from a IPA, not from a wheat...

T: Mild hop flavor, with a nice grassy/ floral taste for the finish. Very nice, though a little watery, and hoppier than most wheats..

M: Crisp and Clean.

D: Pretty good, though I think this beer is way too hoppy for a wheat.. I appreciate the style, and creating something different, but if I wanted hops, I would get an IPA. ( and on a side note, not worth the hype.)

05-24-2009 02:50:45 | More by Beejay
aerozeppl

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Big thanks to woop woop for this one.

A: Poured a slightly hazy golden color with a finger of white head. Decent head retention and some lacing.

S: You can smell the gumball. You also get a nice amount of clean wheat. Really quite impressed how clean the wheat comes through.

T: Taste is very light but that is the point. Again the wheat really shines through. You do get a hint of the gum from the yeast. Really curious as to what they use.

M: Very light and refreshing. Perfect for a summer day.

D: Wish we could get this around here. This is a great warm weather drinker. With the low abv and high taste this has session written all over it.

05-23-2009 18:21:52 | More by aerozeppl
DoctorDog

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Presentation: 12oz. bottle into a nonic. Thanks to beveritt for snagging me a few of these during a recent trip across state lines.

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden. ~1 finger of white head, which fades gradually, leaving a thin cap. Some lacing noted.

S- A very nice zesty, citrusy hop presence here. Wheat character only begins to emerge ~1/2 way to the bottom.

T- Lots of citrus flavor, and a fairly strong hop bitterness. Wheat flavor is at a bare minimum. Soft honey sweetness.

M- An interesting mix here. Well carbed, crisp and lively, but with the creamy "roundness" you expect in a wheat beer.

D- Quite good. Low ABV, quite refreshing, easy drinker for a heavy session on a hot summer day.

Future outlook: Good. One of the more interesting/pleasing wheat beers I've encountered.

05-22-2009 02:07:31 | More by DoctorDog
ThaBobfather

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a boldy golden color that is midly cloudly with small, but well bodied head.
Smells richly of rind, honey, and some yeast.
Nearly chewable with a great body. I've got some citrus, sweet hop, yeast, and very wheaty.
Crisp finish with a rindy aftertaste.
Highly drinkable with the body.

05-17-2009 20:26:42 | More by ThaBobfather
mday

Delaware

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A :: Hazy golden yellow with a thin, quickly dissipating head that leaves no trace
S :: Really hit with hops, more than I expected and then I found a wonderful wheat aroma with a light citrus background.
T :: Nice hop taste and a mellow wheat are present initially and it finishes a lemony bitter, but not overwhelming.
M :: A little light, sticky hops, and decent carbonation. The bitterness sticks around for a bit.
D :: I could drink this often especially on a warm day. I sat down this evening and wished I was out mowing the grass just to enjoy this in the warm weather.

05-17-2009 05:40:46 | More by mday
LordAdmNelson

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Big two-inch white head on top of a nice rich golden brew. Nice retention and lacing.

S- I get a lot of citrus hops here. Floral too. Lemon zest and a little grapefruit.

T- Tastes kind of like an IPA... big hop flavor with the sweet flavors of the wheat lingering in the background. The wheat mellows the hop bite, allowing one to focus on the flavor. Again, primarily citrus hops. This is pretty enjoyable, although I feel like I might be looking for something a little more robust.

M- Light and carbonated, but smooth. Nice for the style.

D- Great session beer here. Delicious and nothing that will kill your palate.

05-16-2009 21:37:16 | More by LordAdmNelson
glid02

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to ShrLSU for sending this over in a trade.

Pours a hazy yellow color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin pancake on top leaving solid lacing. Yeast floaties gather at the bottom of the glass.

Smells of fresh grapefruits with good amounts of tropical fruits. As the beer warms the wheat aromas become more predominant, smelling like a combination of vanilla and gumballs.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Wheat flavors are soon overtaken by citrus and tropical hop flavors. The hop flavors recede just a tad midway through the sip to allow the wheat some breathing room before ending with a mild bitterness. Again, the wheat flavors are not a far cry from gumballs.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a very nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I could drink these all day.

Overall I've been wanting to try this one for a while and it did not disappoint. Certainly not a traditional wheat ale but definitely worth a try.

05-11-2009 22:21:10 | More by glid02
thirdeye11

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Was visiting Indianapolis where my family is from, and picked up a 6 pack of this to share at a friend's house.

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a very pale color reminiscent of a macro, but the head is amazing, huge bubbles in it, 2 fingers, and lots of carbonation coming from the bottom of this one. No lacing really.

S: Smell is pretty straightforward. Grapefruit galore. In fact I've never smelled a beer anything quite like this. It's good, refreshing, and straight up grapefruit. Not complex but solid. Maybe some spices here too.

T: Taste is somewhat muted grapefruit compared to the smell. It's a wheaty beer compared to how pale and clear this one is, but it is a little fruity, definitely spicy, and nicely refreshing. Hops are present here too and nicely done. Could use a bit more malt backbone to balance out the hops and spices though.

M: Needs more creaminess, carbonation is nice. Wish it was a little oilier too.

D: Could drink it all night. Maybe a little bit spicy/bitter so I don't rate it a 5, but really solid overall.

Maybe the best american wheat I've had this one is really quite nice. Highly recommended to anyone.

05-10-2009 23:01:04 | More by thirdeye11
Jettanbass9

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

got this in a trade with mrkanable... thanks buddy! he even went out of his way checking out 7 or 8 places to get a fresh 6'er... great trader!!

A - hazy, straw yellow with a thin laced head. by looks alone this beer looks light, balanced and quaffable... the perfect summer brew? i could definitely add it to the list.

S - tons of Amarillo pine, citrus, grapefruit, orange and tangerine zest. there is a light candy like aroma that lingers between the hops... very pleasant. Very little malt character but what am i to expect in a 4.8%, hoppy, sessionable beer?

T - rather dry on the palate, citrus, pine and zest like acidity. a slight caramel like sweetness linger in the background. balanced bitterness, very quenching. hops are the focus here... there is very little malt character, however, the balance between hop bitterness and flavor reaffirm the type of beer this is.

M - light and dry. mild carbonation.

D - ya kiddin? absolutely... this stands up to just about any pale ale out there. this beer is very light and enjoyable, it may be pretty expensive but this beer is definitely worth it every once in a while. Great warm weather brew!

05-09-2009 00:06:34 | More by Jettanbass9
jdflyer06

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Light orange with a nice haze, some floaties, but nothing too dramatic

S: Lots of piny hop characteristic, orange, tangerine, and plenty of citrus going on here. Some slight maltiness comes through but is overpowered

M: Very smooth, as I was expecting it to be a bit more viscous and sticky. Finishes clean and a very clean, refreshing ending.

T: Hoppy, piny, citrusy with some malt characteristics that, as advertised, aren't found in most summer wheat beers that I can remember.

Had this on tap the night before DLD 2009. I remember it having a bit better flavor profile and highly suggest you have it at the brewery if you can. Overall, a great summer beer that I could drink all day.

05-07-2009 03:18:28 | More by jdflyer06
SykDoc

Wisconsin

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

Had this on tap while in Munster for DLD '09 and took notes.

Poured into a pint glass, it appears a decent straw color. A 1/4 inch off-white head forms and a nice lacing is left behind.

The aroma struck me to include notes of pine mixed with an earthy/mossy component. This was mixed with a healthy level of citrusy hops.

The taste was reasonable to me. I got a healthy dose of orange peel and pine with some malty sweetness hiding out in the background.

The mouthfeel started out quite crisp, like due to the carbonation. It is light/medium bodied and has a very nice and dry finish.

Overall, this was a good beer and fairly well balanced. I could see how many people like it and I do think it competes, but it definitely not what I would usually drink.

05-02-2009 01:17:58 | More by SykDoc
Deuane

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

A FRESH bottle obtained shortly after the 2009 release while attending DLD.

A-Brilliant golden straw yellow with a medium white head. Head holds on well and leaves nice lace.

S-Fresh BRIGHT floral and citrus hop zing! The wafting of lemon zest and a bit of pineapple being most prevalent. A very light backing of biscuit malt supports the hops.

T-Boo-yah! Hops a plenty without ever getting overwhelming. This has got to be one of the best light hop bombs out there! Bright floral lemon hops overtopping a nice supporting light malt base.

M-Light bodied and crisp. Long lasting hop bitterness.

D-Without question one of the most flavourful, refreshing and delicious sub 5% ABV brew out there. I wish I could make Gumballhead my go to summer beer. But alas I have to enjoy random 6'er when my travels take me westward! Kudos to FFF for concocting such a fine beverage.

04-30-2009 12:18:32 | More by Deuane
beerman207

Kentucky

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Love the artwork on this bottle.

A - Pours a hazy gold with some nice lacing in the glass

S - Great wheat smell, some lemon coming through

T -Strong citrus taste along with some unexpected bitterness.

M - Great body with some drying but not too much

D - This is a HIGH drinkability beer. I've been a huge fan of Sam Adams Summer Ale but this beer has surpassed it as my new fave.

04-20-2009 23:37:49 | More by beerman207
GonzoPizzaBurger

Indiana

4.93/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Another great beer from a local brewery 3 Floyds. The bottle displays a yellow dog with a black eye and cigarette hanging out of the right side of his mouth,

A- Golden yellow with a medium thick frothy head. Nice bubbles. Sticky lacing with good retention.

S- Hops. Hops. Hops. The floral hops dominate the nose, a true hop fans wheat style beer. Pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon zest.

T- Incredible, the hops are very apparent but not overwhelming. This brew is almost a cross between a pale and a wheat, beautifully done.

M- Kisses my tongue with delicious bitterness and floral hops.

D- Bring on some more!

04-20-2009 23:04:35 | More by GonzoPizzaBurger
gatornation

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

an amazing wheat beer!..it pours a light straw color with an outstanding head..the smell is hops and spice and floral citrus..unlike any wheat beer ive ever had it has a huge hop presence for a wheat with nice rounded out malts it hits it spot on.. the taste is outstanding its subtle wheat meets hops and malt in a perfect blend this is such a perfectly balanced brew i could drink 3 in row quickly no problem im not a huge wheat beer fan but im a huge gumball fan again this is unlike any wheat beer ive ever tried .. highly recommended

04-17-2009 22:24:23 | More by gatornation
Brew33

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

One of my first FFF offerings. I was not disappointed. This beer is awesome. It looks like a run of the mill wheat. Lively carbonation, yellow in color. The aroma was awesome. All hops. I wasn't sure what to expect .... The taste was epic. All wheat with a nice hoppy finish. Extremely drinkable. Wonderful session beer. No overly sweet flavors, no banana or clove or coriander just a straightforward kick ass brew.

04-14-2009 12:52:49 | More by Brew33
sonicdescent

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance was quite grand, you usually have to have a phenominal head to get this high of a score from me but the insane amount of carbonation presence is something I see. The head is white and a thin crown with good lacing. The liquid is a very light gold.

Scent is an interesting lemony and hoppy concoction. I noticed a bready scent when I opened the bottle but no longer pin that down.

Taste, while I can't complain that it isn't pleasant or refreshing, I struggle to detect anything as it isnpretty subdued. Same characteristics as the scent. This would be a he'll of an intro to craft.

Mouth is where of needs to be, thin/med and fizzy.

Very east to drink and I want to try more to male sure my palate isn't fooling me into thinking this is weaker than it really is.

04-12-2009 05:17:18 | More by sonicdescent