Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Live review of a 12 oz bottle.
A: Poured a nice clear amber with constant bubbles and a two-finger sticky white head.
S: Honey wheat, green leafy and rosemary hops, a hint of vanilla, and slightly metallic.
T: The rosemary hops are a little unbalanced, the bready yeast lingers, creamy and floral, and again, slightly metallic crispness. OK.
M: Starts off milky and frothy and turns into a crisp metallic-clean finish. This fits the flavor profile pretty well.
O: This is decent, but nothing mind-blowing.

ne0m00re, Apr 04, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Clear yellow with bright hint of copper and a three finger white head.

S- Nice crisp citrus hop, sweet malts wheat, a hint of floral hops.

T- Well balanced, hops are definitely there, but do not take over the flavor. Nice wheat and sweet malt taste in the middle.

M- A little on the lighter side, smooth, crisp, refreshing.

D- This goes down really easy. I really like having this beer around because it's a nice beer to have in the summer.

LiquidBread219, Apr 03, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

What a blast of hoppy goodness! Friend of mine bought me a 6pack of this because he thought I would like to give it a try, boy am i glad I did. This beer is just loaded with hops flavor, which is something that usually turns me away, but the balance with the maltyness was superb. While a lot of hops taste comes though, it seems to have a great finish and the bitterness of it is just right. I can't wait to drink the rest of the pack and share them with a few friends.

brewballer, Apr 02, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

This is my favorite beer. Amarillo Hops gives it a Grapefruit smell and Citrus taste. Perfect amount of bubbles.The Malt and Wheat makes it Warm and fuzzy in the winter but light and very refreshing in summer. I realize now I am a lucky SOB living in the the land of 3 Floyds.

Pjhuppenthal, Apr 02, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. The beer pours a crystal clear golden hue and gives way to a sizeable bone-white head. A few unknown floaties dance about between the carbonation bubbles. The head disperses rather quickly and leaves a small cluster of thick lacing around the glass and a filmy ring around the surface.

The nose consists predominantly of piney hops and nice floral, citrusy hops. The citrus hops play a large role in the nose and create this extremely pleasant grapefruit profile.

The taste is substantially different than the nose would have me believe. The breadiness and sweet wheat notes are expansive and takes a heavier toll on the taste buds than the hoppiness does. As it warms the hoppy citrus notes make more of an appearance helping to balance the brew. Sweet, fruity notes become a bit transparent in the end.

The mouthfeel is certainly on the lighter side with ample carbonation that only adds to the already high drinkability.

Overall this is a very solid offering. However, I feel like it falls a bit behind Lagunitas Lil Sumpin, which is an all-star in its class, in my opinion.

mjn5036, Mar 31, 2011

A- Golden in color with a small white head composed of small bubbles. Lacing is apparent throughout the drinking of the beer.

S- Hops become very apparent from the get go, surprisingly so. They lend to an orange and lemon smell that goes with the hops quite well.

T- Once again, the hops take over in the taste from the very beginning. The grapefruit, orange, and lemon become apparent with the latter two being more dominate as the beer develops. There is an increase in a bready character of the beer towards the middle that settles down in the finish. The malt never really makes it through much with the hops dominating from the start to the finish.

M- Medium bodied and moderate, slightly prickly carbonation on the tongue.

D- I knew this was a hoppy taste for an American Pale Wheat, but the amount still surprised me a little. That being said, I think this would be a very refreshing beer for a warm day and would certainly get it again.

Lolli1315, Mar 29, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at the brewpub.
From the menu:
An American wheat beer with a refreshing, crisp citrus finish. This delicious seasonal is brewed with boatloads of Amarillo hops.
30 IBU 4.5% ABV. $5 imperial pint.

I'm not sure why this is still reffered to as a seasonal, but it seems everything else from the menu description is accurate! The beer has a lightly sweet malt bill with strong notes of wheat giving a light spice character. There is also a little dry crackery vibe that comes across towards the back. The finish is citrusy and delicious. Sweeter up front than on the back end-- this makes this beer exceptionally easy to drink... Especially with the (relatively) low ABV. There is a little "fruit stripes gum" note that I really like.

The brew is a nice dark gold color. Bright and clear, no cloudiness. Two fingers of fluffy white head cap the brew off before the settle to a thin film. Surprisingly nice lacing for a pale whet ale. The beer drinks way too easy. I'm not accustomed to drinking 8 or 10 beers in a day anymore, but this one could certainly fit the bill if I were so inclined.

The nose is weaker than the taste, but still nice. Wheat and lightly sweet malts give way to strong citrusy hop note-- grapefruit mostly.

Overall-- a very nice, albeit hoppy, take on the style.

AleWatcher, Mar 23, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Big thanks to ChadQuest for this beer, I've been waiting a while to try some FFF and Chad hooked me up in a big way.

Pours a strikingly thin and hazy apple juice yellow, with a one-finger off-white head that doesn't retain for too long and leaves swirls on top of the beer. No lace to speak of.

Smell is a perky citrus wheat blend, with plenty of juicy lemon and orange to back up a clean wheat aroma. It's very harmless and doesn't attack your nose like a piny DIPA or a boozy RIS, and it really is pleasant in that way. Fresh cut grass also is a winner here.

Grapefruit is quite apparent from the outset in the taste, and consists of mostly juice but also some rind-like bitterness. Wheat character comes in next and is great, as it offers a wild swing of flavor that integrates the citrus well. I normally actually don't like wheat beers as much as oatmeals, barleys and ryes, but here it's done very well. The finish is nicely dry and neutral. A slight touch of resin hits before the finish.

Mouthfeel is one of the lightest and most crisp I've had. It's perfect for this beer, and the lively carbonation keeps the mouth busy while preventing the beer from ever feeling watery. Drinkability is off the charts - the combo of the abv, light body, flavorful yet unimposing taste and tremendous mouthfeel is unstoppable. Probably the best wheat beer I've ever had.

madvermin, Mar 23, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Golden-copper pour. Fluffy white head with big bubbles that lasted just a few minutes before receding into a small thin ring.

Smells like a summer wheat with a noseful of hops. Like Oberon met Alpha King.

Taste has the characteristics of both a well-made wheat and a better pale ale, with a leaning towards the sweetness of a wheat. The idea that Gumballhead could be the offspring of Oberon and Alpha King sticks here too.

Mouthfeel is just a tick above average for the lower carbonation that doesn't seem to completely match up. Could be the smell and taste tricking my mind into thinking this should be a little bit more dry and crisp than this one offers.

Overall a very good and unique creation by the folks at FFF. Well worth trying - and having again and again if you can get it.

Another6Pack, Mar 20, 2011

Wheat beer? I wouldn't have known. It might be the volume beer I've drunk so far tonight, but it's a good hoppy beer, but definitely not a wheat beer, at least compred to like a hefeweizen. .

It's a solid hoppy beer. I apologize for the ratebeer style brief review, but I give this a solid 4.0

johndoe8, Mar 19, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured 12oz bottle into a Guinness pint glass.

Pours a beautiful golden body with a bright white head that stays most of the way through. It leaves a nice white film on the glass with every drink. Smell is of hops and wheat. The smell is pretty straight-forward, nothing crazy going on there, but doesn't need to be. The taste is great, has good mellow hop taste with a wheat finish. Great balance between the two. Mouthful is what is to be expected of a great wheat beer, very thin, but that is a good thing. Overall this beer ranks up with my favorites. Believe it or not I'm not a huge wheat beer fan, but the blend of hops just makes this perfect. Great sessionable beer that you can drink on a hot summer day or a cold winters night.

brian44556, Mar 18, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz bottle poured into shaker pint. Thanks to arvjunk for trading me this one!

A: Pours a cloudy golden color, with just under of a finder of a bright white head.

S: Smell is of piny, citrusy, and grassy hops, alongside a large dose of wheaty aromas. Nicely balanced, and rather comlplex.

T: Taste is very hoppy for a wheat ale, but the hops strike a nice and interesting balance with the wheat.

M: Medium body and carbonation; a pleasure to drink.

D: Definitely happy that I got to try this one, and I'm sure I'll be trading for it again in the future (unless Three Floyds comes back to Ohio, which would be ideal).

AwYeh, Mar 16, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Crystal clear yellow body with a small ring of carbonation for the head.

The smell is hop forward for a wheat beer, mostly pine and grass.

Taste is piney and a bit of lemon pith with biscuity malt. There's a good amount of hop bitterness.

Crisp and clean mouthfeel. Very fresh tasting.

A sessionable and tastey beer that goes down easy. I could consume a few in a sitting, no problem.

Vonerichs, Mar 16, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter

A- Resembles a Champaign appearance, great lacing, Gold clear appearance, 1 finger head.
S- Hop aromas, hints of malts, very mild earthy notes, slight sweet aroma as well
T- Very light taste, well balanced, malts and wheat are apparent
M- Very light, easy to drink and refreshing, great carbonation.
D- Very easy drink, low ABV, nice bear to drink on a warm sunny day. Nothing too outstanding, still a solid wheat beer from 3 Floyds.

Chriscrundwell12, Mar 15, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -9%

Growler into a pint glass, thanks to calbertb2.

A: Big, creamy looking wheat-y head. The color is kind of a pale, quite clear yellow and really not all that appealing. Lacing is pretty great.

S: Lots of hops here! Not exactly what I was expecting. The wheat brings out the earthy notes in a really nice way - I get a lot of grass and pine, all with a grain-like backbone. Lots of citrus as well, mostly grapefruit - great balance between these two aroma groups. Smells like summer on a farm, which is really nice.

T: Everything is a little bit more muted here than it is on the nose. I generally don't love beers like this, but this is super refreshing on a really warm day. Everything is in the same order as the aroma - the bitterness is really subdued by the earthy notes, and the hop tastes are more earthy than citrusy, though the grapefruit flavor is still present.

M: A little bit thin. I was hoping for something more from the aroma. This makes for a really crisp, light beer however.

D: The drinkability of this is phenomenal. I'm enjoying it outside on a 75+ degree day and I'm sure I'm going to have no problem finishing the growler by myself. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, but this is really hitting the spot.

tsatem, Mar 11, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Yellow and clear with a somewhat fizzy head that dissipates after a bit and leave spotty lacing, but is otherwise not bad looking.

Smell is grainy with some yeastiness, earthiness, and zesty citrus.

Taste is pretty good, with a nice wheat/yeast combo and some citrus, hops, light spices and a touch of breadiness.

Feel is light and slick, easy to drink and refreshing.

Drinks pretty well. I like wheat beers for everyday drinking, especially for sporting events because they're light and easy to drink and of moderate alcohol. This one fits right in.

AlCaponeJunior, Mar 11, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

The beer is a light gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass. The aroma is mostly of lemon with some wheat and quite a bit more hops than you usually get in this style. Citrus sweetness and a significant hops flavor hit you first. The wheat character comes out a little bit after the hops & citrus fade, but it's not very pronounced. After-taste is lemony sweet with a little bit of hops bitterness. Very crisp & very smooth, medium-to-high carbonation, medium body, clean finish.

Anthony1, Mar 10, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

A- 4 Poured a nice golden color (like apple juice) with a one-finger frothy white head. There is nice smooth, sticky lacing on this one.

S- 4 There's a nice hoppy/pine smell to this that reminds me of an IPA. It also has a bit of a citrus smell. Just a little bit of wheat comes through in the aroma as well.

T- 4 Much like the aroma, I'm hit with an initial hoppy kick that transitions to a citrus on the finish. The flavors are well-balanced and end in a very mildly sweet feeling - maybe this is the "gumball" referenced by the name. The after taste is where the wheat comes in play for me.

M - 4.5 Very smooth and great level of carbonation. It's medium-light in body. This is a really good feel; the only thing holding me back from giving it a 5 is that it could be slightly heavier, but no complaints here.

D- 4.5 The well-balanced, clean tastes of this brew and its unheaviness make this very drinkable for me. It is refreshing, hoppy, sweet and smooth. If only I could get this more frequently...

KYBrewgrass, Mar 10, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of lurchingbeast. Thanks!

A: Pours a clear, burnt orange that leans toward amber. The head is off-white in color, rising to two fingers in height and slowly retreating into a thin collar around the edges.

S: This appeals to the citrus-hop fanatic in me. Orange slices, lemon peel, and peaches. Very bright and expressive. There's a note of grain that I suppose is the wheat presence, but it didn't smell like wheat usually does to me, so that's odd. It's faintly grassy.

T: Begins with a nice kick of orange and lemon. I don't pick up the peaches I was sniffing in the nose, but I do pick up the grassiness again. Wheat is noticeable in the mid-taste, but it falls off and makes way for grass and orange once more.

M: The carbonation is a little lower than I like. While the aftertaste is grassy, I later find wheat on the palate, and I don't think it works that well as an aftereffect. But it's light-medium bodied, and tremendously flavorful for something so light in heft and ABV.

D: This is edged out by fresh Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' if you were strictly talking about American Pale Wheat Ales. But in my head I'm comparing this against Pale Ales in general, and even then there are a few I like more. Hardly a bad beer, just not something I'm ga-ga over.

Arbitrator, Mar 10, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Thank you betsona!
12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- Clear yellow with bright hint of copper and a three finger white head.

S- Nice crisp citrus hop, sweet malts wheat, a hint of floral hops.

M- A little on the lighter side, smooth, crisp, refreshing.

D- This goes down really easy. I wish I could get lager quantities of this near me because I would love to be able have this waiting for me after a long day of work on a nice spring day.

larryi86, Mar 08, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a growler from Chuck's a couple of weeks ago and I'm finally getting around to cracking this one open... Hope I didn't wait too long...

Pours an orangish golden with a very slow forming head of about 1/2 inch or so which fades pretty quickly.. good carbonation though so I don't think it's faded a whole lot just yet..

Very hop dominant aromas coming out of the glass with a big orange kick to it... Lots of citrus aromas along with the slightest breath of wheat to it... Definitely more hop forward then any other American Pale Wheat I've ever had... This could be interesting...

Well... It's definitely hoppier than any other wheat ale I've ever had.. but it just doesn't seem as hoppy as the aromas would indicate.. It actually reminds me of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which I do love but it just doesn't feel right here.. I think I let this sit around longer than I should have so it could be my fault... It's not unpleasant in the least but I think I built this up so much in my mind after having a sample that I was expecting a hop monster which this isn't... Fairly straightforward pale ale taste with a wheat ale label...

I liked the beer... don't get me wrong... But there's no wow factor that made me immediately wish I'd bought another growler of it..

Tilley4, Mar 06, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Lovely yellow/orange color, looks a bit like apple juice. Poured three quarters of an inch of head that settled to thin layer on top with lacing on sides.

S: My first instinct is hoppier than I expected, but the more I smell, the more it seems to smell like sparkling grape juice (the non-alcoholic stuff), which I really like.

T: Starts with some citrus and then the wheat completely dominates, but as it lingers you get some of the orange like citrus back. Very nice.

M: Maybe a bit thin, but not water by any stretch

D: I could definitely drink a sixer. There is no alcohol taste anywhere. I almost can't help but down this thing in a few minutes. The flavor just completely dominates the palate and leaves you with an almost dry mouth that needs something to wet it, oh and look I've got a beer in front of me, I'll use this.

KBHops, Mar 05, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Poured into a pint glass. A clearish golden yellow. No haze. A nice head due to the wheat. Very PAish looking.

S - Smelled this before it hint the glass. Citrus hops and slight grain.

T - The hops really come forward. Some pleasant orange and lemon flavors. Some graininess.

M - Thin, not very carbonated.

D - Very drinkable and refreshing. This is a great summer session beer. Lawnmower or patio...low level ABV make this a nice option. Pretty much like a wheat IPA.

Brunite, Mar 04, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light cloudy amber with some orange and gold coming through. There is a small layer of fluffy white head that goes away almost immediately.

Smell: Mildly sweet but dominated by citrus and pine hops. Not a super strong smell.

Taste: The hops don't show up here nearly as much as they did in the smell. I'm definitely picking up the wheat. There is also a very mild sweetness along with the hops. I'm also picking up a citrus fruit flavor, perhaps tangerine.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a decent amount of carbonation that is fairly delicate. The finish is very dry.

Drinkability: Well balanced and quite good. I will seek this out again in the future.

oline73, Mar 03, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WTF I thought I had reviewed this previously, but whatever. This review is transcribed from prior notes. On tap at FFF in Munster, IN.

Golden color with a white head and pretty good lacing.

Aroma of wheat, citrus, honey, and way more Amarillo hops than you expect.

Flavor is wheat, honey, lemon, and grapefruity hops - excellent choice of hop variety. You really get an insane amount of hop aroma and flavor without very much hop bitterness.

Medium-bodied, very nice for the style, somewhat light and crisp on the palate.

Not your grandma's wheat beer. I love this one, especially on tap.

nickd717, Feb 26, 2011