Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes:

Pours a hazy golden yellow color with a thin, fizzy half finger white head that immediately disappears leaving only the smallest spots of lacing.

Surprisingly hoppy aroma for the style with a prominent earthy pine presence as well as hints of citrus and tropical. I'm picking up pine needle, grapefruit and lemon peel as well as some faint malt but not many characteristics of a wheat beer. Slight bread/yeast and citrus fruit but not much in the way of spice/clove. It smells great just not like a wheat beer.

Medium bodied with a good balance of earthy and citrus hops, crisp, light fruit, citrus peel and spice. There is some earthy pine needle and citrus/tropical fruit notes from the hops but it isn't as hop forward as the aroma suggests. The wheat beer characteristics are much more prevalent in the palate and flavor. Good balance of bread/yeast, citrus peel and clove notes. Clean, crisp and easy drinking with a slightly dry finish.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz into an Allagash Tulip.

Pours a crystal clear gold, thin head and no lacing. The head fades very quickly.

Nose is all crisp hops. Light bitter zest and a slight citrus sweetness.

Relatively light on the palate, gumball head packs a nice hop punch for the style. Thirst quenching and hoppy, nice combo!

Medium light bodied and well carbonated, this would make a good lawnmower beer for a hophead.

This beer was made for drinking. It isn't my favorite style, but of the American Pale Wheat Ales I've tried, this one stands out.

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

Thanks to Wisconsinality for bringing some of this regionals beers over to my region.

Appearance: Hazy golden color with a half inch of head that holds the glass very nicely.

Smell: Hops, grains, pine and citrus.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Nice mild hop flavor comes on at first. Mild throughout. Has a light pine taste near the end. Really refreshing and lighter then most hop-oriented beers. Nice change of pace from those more "intense" beers. Has a bit a sweetness to it too.

Drinkability: One the more easily drinkable beers that I've tasted in a long time.

3.13/5  rDev -25.7%

Thanks to BJ for this!

Poured a mildly hazy light coppery orange with a short lived white head. A band of lace adorns the glass but not much remains. Kind of a weak smell. Slight citrus hints and wheat. Tangy and fizzy with a decently strong citrus body but light in other flavors. Mild wheat twang and bitterness in the finish. Light bodied, crisp, and refreshing. Not much else here. A decent lawnmower beer though.

203rd review on BA
bottle to weizen

App- A very hazy 3 color yellow. Moves from darker at the top to lighter on the bottom. A nice cushy one finger head with bubbles slowly floating from the bottom.

Smell- A nice wheat smell with some citrus. A little bready.

Taste- It's basic, its smooth. I think that is what is throwing me off. Been so long since a good basic beer. My mouth doesnt know not to look for all the flavors. Just cant enjoy a good beer.

Mouth- Light, crisp and tasty. A very nice feel. With some waves of flavors and feels coming and going.

Drink- I have to say. I live in CA but I am really digging on Three Floyds lately. Thank god for trading my friends.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into a weizen glass. Poured a hazy golden color. Very thick white heading with some great retention. Very alive look bubbles just free flowing every which way.

Smell is insane. Heavy fruit punch starts you out. There is a tremendous hop profile,kind of piney a subtle spice in the finish.

Taste reminds me of an IPA. Very bitter hop bite from the get go. A somewhat dry seltzer middle mixes with a tremendous fruit punch taste of pineapple,lemon and yeasts followed up with a nice grainy grittiness in the finish.

Mouth is light bodied with a nice bubbley action on the tongue.

A great pale wheat. What else can I say

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Always a fan of a wheat-pa, and am intrigued by FFF. Must say, I do love this label.

App- light gold color, with an inch of white head that caps nicely. It is a nice pale straw. Laces well.

Smell- nice hoppy aroma. Good citrus and grapefruit. Very biscuity. Not a huge aroma, but nice.

Taste- some nice hop bite. Some citrus. But it finishes with much more biscuit than expected. It is kind of sweet and grainy. A little soapy as well. Kind of green hop taste.

Mouthfeel- despairingly thin.

Drink- would be a great lawnmower beer. I could plow through them.

A nice beer, but nothing special. Too much of a sweet biscuit and grain taste. Hops are a little floral, bitter, not a tropical punch. Does not hold a candle to sumpin sumpin. Easy to drink, but not terribly deep.

4.38/5  rDev +4%

I love drinking this out of the bottle as well as the tap, but even though the 3F brewery isn't far from Chicago, most liquor stores are usually out of their six-packs and I usually have to 'settle' for buying their bigger beers in chugs or having their stuff on tap when I'm at the bar.

Anyway, this is a bottle review. 12 oz with that green cigarette smoking alien on the side poured into a snifter. I love how light and clear this beer is, it almost has the pale orange color a pilsner but is a bid brighter like a wheat.

Nose is excellent, quite hoppy and also zesty from the wheat. I don't get much yeast or other malt aroma.

It's bitter on the tongue, and very sharp from the wheat. I'm glad they kept the alcohol fairly low. I'm not sure this would work as a much bigger beer, although I've had some huge ones from 3Fs that surprised me with sheer drinkability. Wow, this goes down so smooth, every time I have one I'm impressed.

As far as AIPWA/APWA style, this is tops. As far as hoppy beers, it's tops. As far as wheat beers, it's tops. A first class passenger in every category. I don't drink Hacker-Pschorr, Blue Star, or Weihenstephaner Heffeweissbier in the winter, or at least very very rarely, but I continue drinking Gumballhead at least once a week when the weather in Chicago blows white cold. That alone says something for the sheer quality of this beer.

Now that I'm thinking about it, with the limited supply of this that comes out of the brewery, maybe I shouldn't rave about this one so much...kidding, drink this if you have the opportunity, you won't be disappointed.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours amber with big foamy head. Looks well carbonated. Great lacing. Smells a bit sharp and hoppy with some sweetness on the nose. Doesn't smell particularly citrusy like most wheat ales but rather some sweetness that melds well with the light wheat hints. Tastes sweet and hoppy with some background of wheat. a tasty beer with a great mouthfeel. Very drinkable and for sure my favourite wheat beer!

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Only 5.5% ABV, what's the World coming to!!??

Another from great trader Brian44556...Cheers mate!

Pours a clear and crisp light straw colored amber. Not much of a head formed, which surprised me given the decent carbonation. No real lacing. Aromas are very "fresh", as would be expected. Some interesting, almost IPA like aromas flailing around in there. Some caramel/vanilla notes plus MAYBE a little pineapple. Flavor is, well, wheaty. Tastes like a citrusy hefeweizen-amber ale, in a way. Very unique (aren't all the FFF brews unique?). Actually, the wheat hits right away, then flashes away and leaves me wanting it again. Strange brewm, this one. The finish is a touch more hoppy than I expected, like the additional hops was an afterthought. Not sure how much I like this beer. It appears to be trying too many things at once. Like the dudes were standing around and were all "Hey, we could add some extra hops...Hey, we could add some caramel malt...Hey, we could go CRAZY!!"...I think this is probably very well priced, so it's likely worth the price. Not sure it's worth MY price, though.

WHat I like most: The tantalizingly unique flavor profile.

What I like least: The tantalizingly unique flavor profile.

Verdict: STrange brew, not really my style. Worth trying out of novelty, though.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into a wheat ale style glass withe a big fat white foamy giant four finger head. Some large bubbles some minimal retention. Great perfect clear gold body with just gorgeous elevator music on it from the bottom.

Candy apple nose, and biscuit, just pure dreamy almost cotton candy like with not a fake over powering cloy sugar sweetness on the nose.

Faint bread at first then a giant sweetness finishing off with a huge wheat field rush, hops, and aromatics... WOW just flat out neat, not bitter, not weak, even a crispness... I am wildly impressed by this beer and wish I could get more.

Recieved from Josh (Alleykatking). Thanks! Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my DFH Pint.

A - Pours a golden color with some amber hues to it with a pretty decent haze which is expected. Looks very bright and with good carbonation. A nice two finger head forms and bright white head forms and dissapates moderatly to a cap and then to nothing. The head leaves light lacing on the side of the glass till its finished.

S - Wheat and hops steal the show on this beer which is suprising because I find most wheats that I have tried haven't had this sort of hops background that this one does, at least in the nose. Lots of grassy and earthy notes from the wheat though are present.

T - I get wheat at the beginning, really bright tasting, followed by a bit of the hops, but those are muted more in the mouth. You can taste the progression is very layered in the mouth, each thing comes and goes and then finishes really quick with no real after taste besides a bit of grassiness.

M - Mouthfeel is nice, a big blast of carbonation hits you and then fades very fast as well, part of those layered tastes I was talking about in the taste section.

D - A highly drinkable wheat beer that I'd love have again in the heat of summer on a super humid day sitting out in my yard after working on the garden.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a freshly tapped keg into a 20 oz glass.

A-Poured a hazy golden yellow with a rocky off-white three finger head that slowly imploded leaving extensive sticky lacing on the glass.

S- A wall of citrusy,fruity hops engulfed me while the server was still 10 feet away. I have never had a more pungent aroma from a beer than this Amarillo hopped tsunami.

T- Opening salvo of amarillo hops more bark than bite letting me taste wheaty,bready malts mixed with spicy,lemony notes.The beer finishes smooth and dry.

M- Well carbonated which seems to work well for this beer with a medium light body.

D- Honestly, the smell is the best damn thing about this beer and if you can get it super fresh its DOUBLE RAINBOW!! However, its quality decays rapidly and old kegs and bottles are weak and faded.

I live in the vicinity of Three Floyds and many bars and restaurants I frequent have Gumballhead on tap.I always ask for a sample before buying and it can be hit or miss. Bottles are more consistant but still fade relatively quickly.

This is my number one refrigerator beer because more visitors seem to like it over other craft beers and the lowish ABV means I can drink it all day long. And I do.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

the original sumpin'... just sayin'. burnt gold with an off-white head that holds forever and leaves big lace. sweet, red wheat and fruity, fruity, citrusy amarillo rule this one in the nose and taste. to me it is a hop bomb, and all the fruity goodness and sweet wheat translate into a flavor that actually is reminiscent of the bubblegum we used to get as kids from machines. a little bit of lemon, citrus, tropical fruit and bubblegummy esters. really unique and quite hoppy, but more so in the dry-hop sense, seeing as there is minimal bitterness in the medium body that goes down slick, silky and a little chewy. very good, very unique, and masterfully balanced for such a hoppy beer. still as good as the first time i tried it.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Lots of big hop and yeast chunks are visible after the pour! More than in my homebrew DIPA. Sweet! It's also quite active, and eventually the sediment settles and it has pretty good clarity, especially considering how it started. The thick white foam on top hung out for a bit, then settled to film and ring. More golden than yellow in color.

Bright, citrusy, amarillo hops are balanced perfectly by the wheaty malty sweet body. Smells way bigger than it is. Inviting and intriguing.

Like the nose, but not as rich and deep. The same amarillo/malty/wheaty mix, but just good, not exceptional. Bitterness is mellow.

adequate carbonation, thin/medium body, crisp finish.

This beer has alot of the hop character, especially in the nose, of a good IPA or APA, but without the bitterness and as much booze. A great, easy drinking stepping stone toward the hoppy end of the beer spectrum.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

A:Pours a see thru golden color with a thick white head with excellent lacing left down the glass

S:Not what you expect, nice wheat undertones with a big hop aroma followed up afterwards

T:Nice wheat tones up front and in the middle with a attack of hops on the backend that then take over the palate.

M:Excellent body with near perfect carbonation, palate is once again dominated by those hops that seems to pull this brew together

D:Hands down the best wheat brew out there, doesn't even taste like any other wheat beer I have ever had. Easy drink with great taste and aroma, could drink this all the time and usually do. Get your hands on some

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

Thanks to Steve for this in my recent box of goodies! I've been waiting to try this one.

Gumballhead pours smooth, with a small head, and then sits a little hazy and straw colored. The aroma features the citrusy amarillo hops they note on the bottle along with tons of wheat.

It tastes like wheat, starts and finishes with hops, and is most definitely pale. Gumballhead feels light although it has a good alcohol content, and it's surely an easy drinker.

I can give it props for doing the style well. Just doesn't seem to be a style that I much enjoy. Ho hum.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Light yellow/gold, very small carbonation bubbles, white head with decent retention.

Aroma: You can smell the wheat immediately, some light hop aroma with slight citrus notes

Taste: more hop flavor than I remembered, grapefruity, some hop bitterness in the back of the throat, aftertaste is of hop bitterness and dry

Mouthfeel: light body, highly carbonated with small bubbles

Overall: Such a tasty beer, I'm not usually a huge fan of American Wheats but Gumballhead is hopped up enough. These will be great once summer comes around again, perfect to bring to the beach or just drink sitting around.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

A- Pours a golden body with a white head.

S- Smell of hops and a scent of grass..

T- Taste of wheat and hops and a hint of grass but this works great.

M- Semi dry with a grassy note with hops linger through out sip.

D- Very Good. My first Hoppy wheat beer and it's hoppy. Very tasty beer. I need to get some more. ISO ISO...

Cheers...

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this brew serveral times over the last year but only getting around to reviewing it now care of a bottle from adamb0719. Thanks Adam! Reviewed on 12/13/10.

Pours a crystal clear light golden yellow color. A white head composed of large fizzy bubbles forms and fades quick hanging close to the edges of the glass. A thin patch of lace resides atop this brew and forms some spotty lacing on the glass.

The aroma is grassy hops that also includes a bit if fruited smell and citrus. Notes of orange and tropical fruits are evident. A light grainy backing of wheat sweetness fills in the back portion of the nose.

The taste is grassy, leafy hops upfront with bitter citrus rind. Mid palate includes fruit flavors before turning herbal and bitter with wheat and other grainy tastes. It finishes with a lingering grain flavor and herbal hops.

Light bodied and modestly carbonated. This is a very drinkable beer that I would go to all summer long if it was regulary available. Surprisingly I found this bottled offering to be much more enjoyable then when I had it on tap back in April.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Nice golden hue with a thin head; bubbly; lacing is okay

S: A surprising alcohol presence; grainy with a fairly subdued hop presence: piney and oily

T: A great hop bitterness; lots of pine and hop oils but a pleasant grainy malt presence sits below; a refreshing beer

F: Good carbonation; nice even mouth feel

D: Very drinkable; great refreshing and easy drinking beer

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured into a fluted glass. Served ice cold.

This wheat beer poured a full 1 and 1/2 half to 2 fingers of frothy/eggnog like foam. I sometimes blame my pouring style but feel this head was intentional by the brewmasters.

The color was an almost clear honey/dark hued yellow. Slightly cloudy but that vanished rather quickly.

Despite the description written on the bottle I heartily digress that lemon is the key smell or taste dominant in this wheat beer. I attribute both the smell and taste as a harmonious blend of grapefruit and very filtered water. If you can imagine the old grapefruit juice cans (made of steel) with a steel foil tab. That's the aroma. Not to demean the beer--I find it to be excellent and delicious but was reminded of the old cans of grapefruit juice when I tasted it.

I found the beginning and the finish to be even. There was no change or crescendo in initial taste to swallow. This is odd to me as I find almost all beers to dramatically change in taste both during and after the drinking process. This quality combined with the fruity/wheat yumminess proves to be an excellent drinking beer. I will seek this out again with vigor. Highly recommend.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

bottle courtesy of daveonba, cheers dave!

a- bottle poured into a weizen, slight haze golden honey brown coloring, one plus fingers fade quickly to a layer of large and small bubbles.

s- wow. bright pink grapefruit, zesty lemon - very apparent, wheat is on the back burner here and i'm not minding in the slightest.

t- lemon, hello again, highly bittered, zippy grapefruit juice and pith, really really tasty.

m- medium, slick and coating.

d- gumballhead breaks the mold for what a apwa can be, this is definitely up there with little sumpin sumpin, i get more bitterness here than in alpha king. this is very drinkable - if i had access to this brewery this would be a staple in my fridge for sure.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

I had this beer on tap at the Houlihan's in Shererville, IN.

A: clear, bright yellowish amber, big, fluffy white head, excellent retention, great cap & lacing.

S: floral and citrus hops, sweet wheat bread, hint of bubble gum, grassy and piny notes.

T: sweet wheat bread and bubble gum up front, lemon and orange citrus, floral, grass, and hint of pine in the middle, grassy note predominates the finish, along with a floral note.

M: light-bodied, watery to silky, moderate+ carbonation, finish is herbaceous.

D: reminded me of a light version of their Pride & Joy.

A fantastically refreshing wheat beer with a stunningly assertive taste.

Pale yellow colour with a very light haze. Poured an awful lot of head - not sure whether that's a sign of too little or too much bottle aging yeast, or if that's just the way this beer is - unfortunately only have the one bottle.

Subtle aroma, but followed with an eye-openingly brilliant taste. Amarillo hops, lots of them and beautifully done. Definitely a beer I will seek out again.

Gumballhead from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub