Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I stopped in at Bass Pro Shop in Portage, IN. and they had this on tap as their house special. I knew 3 Floyds knew their shit about beer because they are one of the greats. This beer at first is not too impressive, but as Hank the Tank put it....once it hits your lips it taste so good. The beer pours a nice golden color with a decent head. Not too much aroma coming off but a slight citrus fragrance. In you mouth it is a great summer flavor explosion going on with taste of sweet summer citrus and honey going on. Feels so good on the palate. I would drink 12 of these if I had the time. BTW.... They are pretty close to the MICHIGAN border. No wonder they know their beer!

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a slightly cloudy yellow with white head that fades completely.

The smell is of tropical hops. Pineapple and a little lemon.

The taste is very sweet. Pineapple and mango with a very little bit of malt on the back. Nice and refreshing but it could use a little more malt to balance.

A good beer which if I could get it in Ca. would buy a 6 pack or 2 to get me through this hot summer.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance - Light yellow. A little hazy. Short white head that disappears very quickly.

Smell - Not getting more than a hint of banana of clove. Very prominent grassy and grapefruity hops.

Taste - Begins with a just a little malty sweetness. Quickly overwhelmed by substantial hops flavor. Sour citrus - grapefruit or lemon. Something else - a mild dry bitterness. Not entirely sure how it gets there, but the overall impression is a dry, somewhat bitter tropical fruit drink.

Mouthfeel - Pretty light, a little watery even.

Overall - This isn't like any other wheat beer I've had. And since I haven't had may american pale wheat ales, it's hard to say if this beer is an outlier or just an example of a style I haven't explored. In any event, I wouldn't put this on my favorites list, but it is new to me - and that's gotta count for something.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a nice fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. I poured it into a wine glass due to my lack of proper glassware.

The smell... I could bathe in this easily, then spray it on me as a cologne. Tons of hops, sweet fruit, and a hint of yeast.

The taste is actually more subtle than the smell. The sweetness in the nose turns to a faint bitterness on the tongue. The hops are very prominent but there is still that light sweetness from the wheat.

Gumball Head is a bit thin and the carbonation is very light. If I had to knick it on something... it would be how light it is on carbonation and body. The good news is, its not filling at all so you can enjoy this without worry.

I kept thinking how does a brewery in middle of no where Indiana make beer that people arrange their day around trying to get... now I know. This is the perfect balance of a wheat beer and an IPA. This is an everyday beer and I wish I had access to it more often.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured a light golden color with a noticable haziness to it. A one finger head of foam with decent retention that faded leaving a ring of head around the beer. Smells of sweet and citrusy hops, fruity like oranges, lemons, and grapefruit (not overwhelming though), also a bit of pine and a clean wheat scent? The taste is extremely crisp with a definite hop presence, it's a really clean taste that covers the palate. I'm getting sweet up front and bitter at the end with the fruity citrusy notes coming through the taste as well but a balance through the wheat that was added. The mouthfeel is different from most other beers I've tried, it's as if it completely rinses my palate - very refreshing. Overall I am very please with this beer and would love to aquire more - definetely be looking for it on my next trip!

Enjoy!

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The color is a cloudy goldish-yellow,, but not pale yellow like a bud or anything like that. It has a wonderful citrus aroma (the amarillo hops). It has a nice citrus hop flavor along with a touch of lemon in the taste. Carbonation seemed a little on the low side, and mouthfeel was just ok, not too full, but not too light. Overall, it's a very tasty beer and not your ordinary wheat beer by any means.

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Golden with an inch and a half of foam. Some warmer tones mixed in. Good retention.

S- very sweet with a citrusy and leafy odor

T- Hoppy with a grassy, earthy taste yet sweet

M- very smooth and watery

O- Great beer. Probably my favorite summer beer.

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Bought a 12 FL OZ bottle of this from Payless Liquors in Fischer, IN for $2.29. Poured from the bottle with GumballHead hanging out on the front and the usual awesome bottle cap into my Gilligan's Pub Pint Glass. Has no Freshness Date like usual.

Aroma- Starts with a light marijuana aroma with grassy and citrus hops. Has a yeasty background with minimal cloves but still noticeable. Really brings you back to smell over and over.

Appearance- Pours a 1.5 finger head that has weak retention and strange it isn't bigger for this style. Has a pale yellow, semi-hazy body. Good lacing on the sides.

Flavor- Strong hops from the start, too much for this style but okay. Very sweet and malty but doesn't have many of the attributes (rye, wheat, banana) that I've had in many other Hefeweizens and American Wheats.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Medium Carbonation, and leaves tons of hops on the palate.

Overall Impression- The hop is too overpowering for the style but I can't diss this beer because its still awesome! Should be a American Pale Ale when it comes down to it... I would get this beer again if it was more available to me but not sure what style it is... Isn't anywhere CLOSE to an American Wheat.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Not a huge fan of wheat beers but I wanted to try and get my hands on one of these to try out. Thanks to Thorpe429 for the bottle. Poured into an Allagash chalice.

The appearance is a pretty nice hazy peach color. There is some lacing on the glass along with a slim white head. Fairly standard looks for the style.

The nose on this one is pretty surprising. Good amount of tropical fruit, mostly pineapple. Nice backbone of wheat adds to the aroma as well.

One of the bigger issues I have with wheat beers in general is they seem to lack flavor. Gumballhead is not one of those beers. Good amount of citrus from the hops but very restrained bitterness from the wheat make for a very tasty brew.

Light body makes it a very easy drinker on a hot summer day, or whenever for that matter.

Easily the best wheat beer I've had. If I could get this one on a regular basis I would probably buy this by the case in the summer. A wonderful example of the style.

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

served in a tulip.

a - pours a bright, clear, golden hue with a pinky of coarse, off white head. lots of bubbles streaming up in this one, no doubt helping with the head retention. plenty of sticky lace in the glass.

s - grapefruit, strawberry, orange, fresh cut grass, light toasty malt.

t - citrusy and piney hop characters dominate, but don't completely overwhelm a grainy malt base. some faint spicy notes. an ipa style bitter twang kicks in quickly and hangs on the tongue before finishing dry.

m - feel is the lighter side of medium bodied with plenty of carbonation and a slick feel from the hop oils.

o - goes down easy, but doesn't live up to its reputation. if it tasted as good as it smells, this would be amazing.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

A: super thin lager clarity, bright yellow gold, nice foamy carbonation, no lacing

S: It smells of pine and orange, some lemon zest, but not in a huge hoppy DIPA/IPA way, more understated. It feels like someone who knows a good deal about hops but references then so expertly that the underlying experience is presented clearly.

T: very mellow citrus notes, quick hop finish, super refreshing, very well done. There is a light hoppy presence that is almost a garnish to the sweet refreshing notes at the outside of the taste. The final amazing closer is the cucumber crispness finish, this beer just screams summertime.

M: Just fantastic, especially for a cross-over style. They seemed to take a big risk by compromising the smallest elements, resulting in a huge payoff. In reality, they need to only sell these in growlers because that is the reasonably demanded service size of this refreshing beer.

D: This makes me hate the Midwest even further. It is strictly unfair that a place without a beach, without any coastal weather would make something with this level of refreshment. I don’t sit around reading Sherpa books, I don’t go rotating city crops in urban los angeles, because I KNOW MY PLACE. It just is not fair that Indiana makes a beer like this and then withholds it from the west coast. It is akin to the aesthetics of Mormons. Patent base denial.

Narrative: Parents were a little skeptical of Gumbalicitus, a shiny new fangled prescription drug for unruly Midwestern children. Settlers used to call it wind sickness, but they soon learned that it was an irascible desire to leave locations of concentrated boredom. That is, until this new drug arrived, served in 12oz doses, the highly enjoyable cocktail drug apparently makes even the flattest, most agricultural areas completely tolerable. Iowa parents noted that their students even volunteered to stay in-state upon being prescribed this barbituate calming drug. Side-effects include narcolepsy, contentment, desires to attend comicons, Xbox live subscriptions, and consumption of Hot Pockets. Gumbalicitus is only to be provided to those in need. Anyone living within 90 miles of the Pacific Ocean should not take this drug as it may result in an endorphine overload, burning out the neural cortex. SHIPPING IS STRICTLY DISALLOWED TO CALIFORNIA.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Listen. I, as a, small minded, standard, do not care for wheat beers. I respect them I just don't love them. So when I had a couple of these Gumballheads I was not expecting too much. The great hops and red wheat combine like chocolate and peanutbutter(figuratively) to make a badass easy sipping beer that has a lot of grapefruit, Lemon, and peach notes. I loved it. In fact I want to go back and change my review scores...done. So three floyds (not sold in my great state) your winning streak continues in my book. Good Day.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

From my weekend notes: This bottle has a heart of gold, like any good eighties comic underworld character. Smells nothing like a wheat ale, but still incredibly satisfying. Dripping with citrus, piney hop madness, this killer nose relays perfectly into the wheat-beer anchor of the brew. The orange marmalade hops blend with the clovey, grassy malt, creating a benchmark American Wheat Beer.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Got this in a trade from Beerwolf77, popped my three floyds cherry, with a bang!

been looking forward to trying this, and I sure wasn't dissapointed, I just now discovered that there is such thing as a wheat beer with a hopkick, This hits the spot

Poors a dark yellow, tad but cloudy, but that might be the condensation on the glass playing tricks on me. Barely any head, and what was there was gone fast. Lots of grapefruit in the nose, gives it a nice hop scent, barely smell any wheat in this.

Tastes insanely refreshing, very fizzy but that goes along with the fresh fruity flavors, wheat up front, bitter hoppyness in the back.
As a 5.5% brew, I'd love to see it here in MS, I'll have my next bottle side by side with a tallgrass Halcyon, which according to my husband is better. Tastewise it's a close call, but I give this brew my vote!

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Ah, Gumballhead. We finally meet. The more I read about you, the more I thought that you might be the perfect beer for me. Alas, we're thousands of miles away, but repeat trader BA redbird brought the hookup. This one pours a slightly hazy golden color with huge carbonation and two fingers of head that quickly settle down. The aroma has a huge hop presence for an American Wheat, the piney hops and grapefruit are really the stars of the show. Some wheat and juicy citrus are hanging around too.

The taste on this is much more restrained than I imagined based on the nose, but it's still very delicious. Instead of the hop attack that I thought I'd be getting, I got a nice and smooth citrus (lemon and grapefruit mostly), hop, and wheat kick. This trio just walks in thandem all the way through the finish, with the wheat and lemon fading first, then the grapefruit, leaving a nice lingering hoppiness. The mouthfeel is very good, it's smooth and has a lively amount of carbonation. The drinkability is exceptional. Overall, this is just an extremely well crafted summer beer that I'd currently be drinking a lot of if it were in my area. But alas, there's only one.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Got this in the refreshing summer BIF. Thanks man. Had it before but never reviewed.

Poured into a small pint style glass it pours a crystal clear golden color with a white film head. Little lacing.

Aroma is slightly wheaty with a bit of citrus hops. Smells pretty good.

Taste is the same. Nice wheatyness but with a nice hop flavor and a slight bitterness in the finish. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is nice and wheaty. Good carb.

Overall a good beer. Not amazing but good. Wish I could get 6ers of this. Don't know why the bros only gave it a B.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

This is a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The bottle is about 10 months old it slipped through my cellaring system, not sure what to expect, but here goes.
On the pour the beer looks great with bright clear gold color and 2cm bleached white creamy head foaming up and fading gradually leaving minimal tight lattice as it recedes. Head finally ends up a wispy surface layer with a slightly denser edge.
Aroma is gentle graininess and some citrus notes orange and grapefruit mostly, but some general sweetness too.
First sip reveals a light to average body with fine rolling carbonation that just beefs up the texture a little. Very easy drinking beer on the physical attributes.
Flavor is fairly mild but enjoyable, with grainy malt followed with some general sweetness, again some orange and a little wheat twanginess. The beer goes down really easy and has held up remarkably well in my cellar for 10 months.
I enjoy this brew and could see drinking several of these on a hot summer day.
Definitely a beer to obtain again!

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Great wheat ale

A - nice orange and decent head

S - nice fruity smell of a wheat ale and cirtus smell from hops

T - good fuity taste of wheat beers, with the citurs aftertaste ending in a slight bitterness of the hops

M - smooth taste ending in a slight bitterness could drink a lot of these

One of my favorite wheat beers when I want something slightly more bitter

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours light orange with a bit of haze, head was fluffy white at first, but disappeared quickly, leaving a ring.

Get that wheat/bubblegummy aroma along with quite a bit of hops; very interesting.

Taste is hoppy as well, citrus and bubblegum in the background.

Felt a bit watery, but a good beer overall.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Gumballhead turned out to be much nicer than I thought it'd be. The pour was a hazy yellow color with a nice looking fluffy white head on it. The smell of the beer was hoppy, wasn't expecting that but I like it a lot. The soft aromas of grains and wheat are also in there. The taste of the beer has a wheat flavor upfront that is quickly kicked away by a rush of citrusy hop flavors. Kind of reminded me of HopSun from Southern Tier but on a better scale. The mouthfeel was smooth and yet had a good tingling finish. Overall this beer is a very nice release from 3 Floyd's. I'd buy this if they'd only distribute to PA again.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

A - This beer pours a brilliant yellow-gold-straw color, with limited head that disappears quickly and leaves very minimal lacing on the glass. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - This beer smells great - citrus (grapefruit maybe), orange, and wheat come through. Doesn't smell too hoppy (and with 28 IBUs that's no surprise)

T - WOW! You can definitely taste the wheat malts, which balance out the hops in this beer SO well. The hops are citrus-y, grassy, and slightly piney as well. You really get a taste of maybe peach coming through along with the grapefruit and orange mentioned in the smell. The finish on this beer is somewhat bitter, but not overly so.

M - The mouthfeel on this beer is very light and extremely carbonated, which I thought would be a turnoff but it fits SO well with this beer. I am sure that the gravity is pretty low on this beer, due to how light I am sensing it to be.

O - I am completely in love with this beer. This beer drinks like a wheat but has the taste of a pale ale as well. You could seriously drink this all day, and the ABV is not ridiculously high to prohibit you from doing so on a fine summer day. This beer just fits well...its elements come together very well to form a nice cohesive experience.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Gumballhead is by far the most popular Three Floyd's offering amongst my local bars, stores, and friends. It's always described along the same general lines: big, sweet, and universally enjoyable. Now, I've found that a lot of Three Floyd's stuff is better on tap, which is the reason I've held off on reviewing it until now. After giving it more than a few tries in bottles, I was graced by its on-tap presence at Buffalo Wild Wings in Brownsburg, IN. It's sad that a big chain like that has the best selection in town, but it is what it is. Here's my thoughts:

A: Wow! The body is a beautiful gold, shining and shimmering in even the dimmest light. It's eye-catching, to say the least. Medium carbonation send a bubble stream up from the bottom of the glass, enhancing what's left of a thin white head. Very slight retention.

S: Lovely floral hops are first to hit. Sweet and forward, these notes drift seamlessly into the underlying wheat; so seamlessly, sometimes, that it's hard to differentiate the origin of some of the aromas. After a few more moments of scrutiny, though, the wheat contributions become clearer beneath the hops so present: bright grape/berry note, with some darker ocher undertones. The yeast, also relatively hidden, give a fresh-baked wholesomeness to the nose to finish it off. Mild, but friendly.

T: What light wheat! An awesome taste of calm citrus and natural sugars don’t have to plead for attention – they just grab it. It’s as robust as they come, but not in a way that is at all overdone. This is what FFF does best: flavor so big that it’s on the precipice of being too much, but never extends to a displeasing level. Essentially, they have balance all figured out. Hops are next with a strong performance. They are nothing but a genuine example of citrus goodness, even though they only play a supporting role to the rich, upfront grains. The aftertaste is crisp and clean, mostly due to the balancing chewiness of the yeast at the back end. The only thing I can think of as a negative is the slightly oily feel that reigns over the palate as a whole. I'm not quite sure what it's from, but it's consistently present. It makes it less drinkable than some of its counterparts in the same style - not undrinkable, mind you, just slightly less drinkable. Other than that, though, everything's superb!

M: Medium carbonation is just right: enough to juxtapose the smooth, wheaty palate, adding a new dimension, but not so much that it overstates the presence of the carb.

O: FAVORITE. WHEAT BEER. EVER. And this one’s going to be hard to beat. Really, the majority of the beers that I’ve had in this style have been lackluster. There’s just no getting around the processed, adjunct-like taste that comes with so many American wheat beers. It’s sad, because this style has so much promise. Three Floyd’s, though, takes full advantage of that potential to create a nothing short of joy in a bottle. I think the brewers themselves captured my sentiments exactly on their website: their beer lineup page describes Gumballhead as “a refreshing American Wheat Beer that doesn’t suck,” and that it “helped redefine American Wheat Beers.”

I’ll drink to that!

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

A - 12oz long neck poured into a snifter, gives a golden transparent color that has a very minimal amount of floaties moving around, 2 fingers of light head that recede to a solid fluff while showing good retention with lace all the way down.

A - not much of a malt presence in the nose, strong citrus notes of lemons and oranges with a solid hop presence, great aroma overall maybe a touch of pine.

T - big hop presence, grassy and a straw flavor then taken over by the citrus hops that were similar to the nose but a much stronger orange peel influence along with some pine and a pineapple finish much closer to the apa style than wheat, alcohol is not around and this is extremely refreshing i definitely would get this on the reg if i had the opportunity.

M - medium body, medium carbonation, slight prickly feeling on the tongue.

O - very refreshing very easy, i like the different malt influence, very good beer disappointing im having my only one i feel like i could get a keg of this for the summer if not year around...definitely recommend this to all that have the opportunity

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Zrab11 for this one

Light, clean golden color. Small but persistent white foam head. Medium density. Personally, I'd like to see more haze...but I can be an idiot

Aroma is hops forward. Snappy, dry. Very slight toasted bread in the background.

Is there such a thing as American-India Pale Wheat Ale? This has a ton of hops in it, or perhaps more than malt on the ratio scale. Citrus and zesty. Damn, it is good. The flavors aren't all that powerful and the snap/dryness is up front and fades rather quickly on the end. Refreshing.

Good feel. Gives you a jab of hops then goes.

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Bottle poured into a tulip Glass

Pours a straw yellow with little carbonation or head.

Smell has a hint of the grapefruity hops back end

Taste has hints of the citrus hops and a very smooth finish.

One of my favorite wheat beers. A great beer for someone who likes something like 312 but wants more flavor and hops

A summer favorite.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.