Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

An American Wheat Ale, Gumballhead is named in honor of the underground comic book cat created by Rob Syers. Initially a seasonal summer beer, now brewed year round due to demand. This beer helped redefine American Wheat Beers. Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness make Gumballhead a refreshing American Wheat Beer that doesn’t suck.

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Truh

New Hampshire

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Read some comics with this one on 8/9/2006. 1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bomber poured twice in an Arrogant Bastard shaker glass.

Extremely thin skim of carbonation with more density in the center, some larger bubbles. Very light amber hue, verging on golden, very clear with lots of small action going on. Very clean, light clover scent on the nose with some freshly dried straw thrwon in. Smooth, light hop wash on the mouth with some Mrs. Dash thrown in; as it warms, there is an Elmer's Glue cast that develops, oddly. Light body.

Wish I could find more of this around my area.

06-03-2007 18:59:39 | More by Truh
mdm46410

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with a tiny beige head. The head dissappears very quickly. No lacing. Aromas include orange, lemon, and a suprisingly big dose of hops. Flavor is very crisp with a lemony bite. A hint of banana in there also. This beer could almost be described as an IPA mixed with a wheat beer. The mouthfeel is very light and refreshing with a good amount of carbonation. A pleasent surprise in the wheat category!

06-02-2007 22:07:18 | More by mdm46410
prototypic

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: It's a transparent, light copper color. Head is foamy and about one finger. Retention was on the short side and lacing was light, as well.

Smell: It has a nice citrus aroma (some orange, lemon, and light grapefruit). Definitely has a bit of a grainy smell to it. Love the hops. Much stronger hop smell than some wheats.

Taste: Initially, it it has an earthy, grainy taste to it. It develops into a great citrusy sweet taste. Lemon and grapefruit mostly. It has a bit of a spicy kick. But, it works very, very well. Hops are excellent and give it a bitter taste on the tail end.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied. Carbonation is excellent. Definitely smooth and sessionable. Overall, it's a great beer. Clearly I have a new favorite for the summer.

05-31-2007 01:19:44 | More by prototypic
emerge077

4.25/5  rDev +1%

On-tap at the Map Room.
Fresh keg, 2007 batch released a week ago.

Pours a hazy amber, nice cap of foam. Tiny streams of carbonation.

Aroma of a floral and juicy citrus hop combination. Not as amped up as other 3F offerings thankfully. Sample at the brewpub seemed much more grassy and herbal in the nose.

Taste is light, big hop presence, slight bitterness. Wheaty in the middle with a nice residual sweetness. Aftertaste of mango, or apricot from the distinctive Amarillo hops. Bubblegum doesn't figure in much to me.

Very smooth and easy drinking. Can't wait for the six-packs...

05-17-2007 03:16:50 | More by emerge077
Beertracker

Oklahoma

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

I found the recently released Gumballhead on tap during my recent visit to the FFF Brewpub for the 2007 Dark Lord Day. I had a couple while waiting in line with the rest of the Dark Lord Hoard. The aroma is very citrusy (lemon balm, lemongrass, lime leaf) with a notable wheatberry graininess in the distant background. The flavor starts off very fruity with some sweet graininess that gives into a marked bitterness that's more expected in an APA, not a wheat beer... but hey, this is FFF we're talking about! The finish is smooth, creamy, and very satisfying. This is one hoppy little wheatie that has an extreme quaffability. "It's just not normal!"

CHEERS! Beertracker

05-10-2007 05:54:11 | More by Beertracker
Monkeyknife

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from the bottle a bubbly, hazy medium straw color. Rich creamy head dissapates to a quarter inch while drinking and leaves some nice clinging lace.

The aroma is very sweet and fruity.

Tastes of tangerines and wheat. There is definitely a bubblegum to it. Sweetness from the malt really goes well with the lighter hops presence.

Medium bodied and smooth. Lightly carbonated.

This is one helluva beer. I just wish I didn't have to drive two states away to find it. Who am I kidding...I'd go for it again in a heartbeat.

05-08-2007 20:59:44 | More by Monkeyknife
TheodorHerzl

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

I had this on tap on DLD at 3F's.

A: Even in a solo plastic cup the nice golden amber color shows nicely, with a small bit of lacing.

S: The smell is just amazing. A great floral scent, but almost sweet like candy hits your nose.

Taste: This was perfect. DLD is was hot and I was baking in the sun and as soon as it hit my tounge I was in love. Grapefruit at first, but then a silky smooth wheat flavor. Not as bitter as an IPA, but not a true wheat beer either, but I am very good with that.

M: Is very light and easy going down.

D: This is a perfect summer beer. I already see myself playing bags and drinking many Gumball's as the summer heats up.

05-01-2007 18:09:06 | More by TheodorHerzl
Absumaster

Netherlands

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks to dogfooddog for this.
Appearance is orange, slightly murky with a steady stream of carbonation and a very thin head.

Smell of citric hop, resinous and piny but not the usual grapefruit, rather lemony. The wheat gives the beer a nice smell, which reminds me of a Weizen with lemon, great!

Taste of citric hops which are lemony and moderate bitter and a little resinous and piny. The wheat adds a nice balance to the hops and really combine very good. I get a 7-up taste, but then bitter. Next to the wheat, there is a maltiness which I think is caused by a reasonable amount of pale malt. The wheat is probably 30% of the maltbill.
Carbonation was low and did not give a lot of fizz. Body is medium.

04-30-2007 10:30:13 | More by Absumaster
kennyo

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

purchased at the Foodery i Philadelphia. According to BA site this is a summer release so I woner if this is an old bottle. "Poured into a german whet beer glass, poured very nice with a small 1/2 head. I was a pretty picture. Gold color, a little hazy, no yeast but hazy. Aroma is sweet, some bbblegum, some lemon, not a bad smell. ead dissapered after a quarter of the glass was drunk. Lemon in the taste, sugar on the back of the throat, there is some crispiness to it.

First time That I ever had this beer, we can't get Three Floyds here in NY.

The Foodery is a little expensive so I'm sure I overpaid for this but it was worth it just to try it

04-29-2007 21:03:24 | More by kennyo
tapman

3.15/5  rDev -25.2%

A decent brew from the 3Fs, I expected more from this one, but its still a winner.

Honey colored. The head was white and thin. The lacing was also thin and light. It is so clear that I'm wondering how much filtering this brew goes through and why do the ingredients need to be filtered away, or is it might be purely cosmetic.

There is a Medium hoppiness to this brew mixed with wild flowers. The bottle says it is made with red wheat and I could see how the extra sugar in the red wheat could have influence on the sweet aroma of this brew.

The taste is sweet, like hoppy apple juice. Sure beats the hell out of some lunar based thin wheat macros out there, but there are many better wheat beers out there. If I had been blindfolded I would never have guessed. Still, this brew is interesting and very refreshing.

The carbonation is light to put it nicely. Carbonation reminds me of a macro, thin and snow white. Looks like sparkling apple juice.

On a hot day I could guzzle three or four of these 22ozers without thinking about it, but it pales to complex ales and robust weisbiers. Next picknick I go to will include at least one of these.

04-25-2007 23:38:47 | More by tapman
Solomon420

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

22 oz bomber...

Everything about this beer was simply awesome! The color was perfect, the smell was just a great blend of malty sweetness, fruity aromas, and hops. Its low alcohol content was apparent as no alcohol smell could be found. First sip and I was hooked. This is a damn good beer for the summer! its great tasting and low AC make this the premier BBQ session beer! I want more!

This is one of those beers that is just enjoyable to drink from first sip to the last. Gumballhead is a great tasting craft beer that doesnt need to be extreme in IBUs or AC to make it good, and I suspect if more BMC drinkers tried this one, they would be converted to craft beers for sure!

04-15-2007 01:32:23 | More by Solomon420
ncvbc

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Many thanks to jpm30 for the opportunity to try this refreshing beverage. Pours a straw, golden color with some haze to it. Medium sized head with a great deal of carbonation but it faded somewhat quickly. The smell isn't too strong, some nice fruit scents are what come first and a small scent of hops. At first I was taking sips of this beer and it was too cold to make a good judgement. I thought bland and carbonated but as it warmed it became clear what this is all about. Lemon zest with other fruits intermingling. I can almost taste a little honey, melon type sweetness. It literally improved sip by sip and seemed pretty phenominal to me. Mouthfeel was a little light and a little too carbonated but nothing too serious to fuss about. Drinkability makes this one choice for a nice summer day. I could down these without hesitation and still remember to enjoy them in the meantime. When I'm playing golf this summer I'll pray to have obtained a case of this stuff beforehand. YUM!

04-11-2007 04:27:06 | More by ncvbc
crayphish

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from a bomber into a Weizen Glass, the beer appeared a cloudy yellow copper, no head and sparse lacing. Smell is fruity hops, with a malt backing. Lemon zest. Taste is outstanding. Hoppy grapefruit, mellowed by malt and sweetness. Mouthful is exceptionally refreshing and crisp. I can't wait to sip one of these on a hot day. Very drinkable, a great wheat beer.

04-07-2007 03:18:15 | More by crayphish
hunteraw

China

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Really an exceptional beer. Received from mymrngjckt in Secret Bunny '07

Appearance: Hazy golden-amber in color, good-sized head, retention and lacing.

Smell: I already know it's going to be good. Much more hops than I was expecting in a wheat ale, but not overwhelming. Sweet, fruity hops in the nose. Light, wheaty malt base - I find myself looking for the typical wheat aromas and do detect a tough of bubblegum.

Taste: Wow, great stuff here. Plenty of hops flavor on top of a light, wheat, somewhat fruity base. Again, I find a tough of bubblegum at the swallow that reminds me this is a wheat beer - and the non-beer drinker that tasted with me agreed, definitely bubblegum. Great balance, the amount of hops lets it avoid becoming cloying. Easily my favorite wheat beer to date.

Mouthfeel: Wheat gives it a nice smooth mouthfeel. Finishes dry and acidic, improving drinkability. Medium body, good carbonation.

Drinkability: If all Three Floyds beers are like this, maybe I should consider a move to Indiana. Really exceptional, this one. Only 4.8% alcohol? Very sessionable.

03-23-2007 20:07:49 | More by hunteraw
Duster72

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured into a weizen glass a bright gold color that is relatively clear with little head (maybe this isn't the freshest bottle, but with no date code, I can't tell). Minimal lacing. Smell is very mild -- some citrus, some hops, some wheat. Taste is outstanding. Great mix of fruit, wheat, and hops. More refreshing than most wheats. Hops give a very nice finish. Not as cloying as some wheats. Exceptional drinkability -- the 22oz bomber left me wanting another, and if I had one on hand, I would have had another.

03-19-2007 11:10:09 | More by Duster72
GPHarris

Alabama

4.38/5  rDev +4%

a - poured a four fingers thick head into a large weizen glass. body is clear and golden, very vibrant looking. the head is thick, pillowy and white that leaves a thick lacing and sheeting throughout.
s - understated hops and malt. hints of pine and sweet gum.
t - orange and lemon zest.
m - creamy and slick mouthfeel that finishes very clean.
d - this is as good a summer beer as there is. it begs you to take long deep quaffs and with the low ABV i could drink this all day long on an alabama summer's day...

03-09-2007 14:27:12 | More by GPHarris
Tyrawlings

22 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Luminous gold in color. Crystal clear. White two fingered head stays for half of the sample. Nice lacing.

S: Herbal. Citrus fruit. Medicine. Tea or earthy smell.

T: Bitter medicinal flavor from Amirillo hops that present a nice bitter bite. Tea like flavor is followed by a soft blanket of sweet malts. Lemon zest or grapefruit pops in and is finished off by a nice tight crisp bite of wheat. Very earthy finish.

M: Clean and slightly oily. Medium carbonation. Slickness covers the tongue.

D: Bolder than most wheat beers that I have sampled. Very clean and refreshing. A summer picnic brew if ever there was one. Enjoy in the sun.

03-09-2007 01:06:25 | More by Tyrawlings
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

Bomber courtesy of Viggo via trade thrown in as a nice treat!!
This was a very different, unique and highly quaffable/enjoyable wheat beer. Being a hop head, I found the hop levels to really work well with this brew. Even though bottle conditioned, the clarity of the beer was high. The head was a proper fluffy white. The smell straight from the bottle was what really got me. Fantastic. This beer must kick ass when its fresh and on tap in the summer.
Finish is probably the dryest I've experienced with a wheat due to the hops. Very clean.
I could drink quite a few of these babies in row and it was pleasure to get my hands on one. My first FFF beer and it was a great start.

02-24-2007 22:34:31 | More by oakbluff
Newglarusguy

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +1%

I may have found the perfect summer beer. Perfect for me, anyway, and anyone else who is a big fan of hops. It's ingenious, really. A hoppy wheat beer. Why didn't I think of this? I love my IPA's, but they're a little heavy for the summer months, so I tend to move towards wheats/hefes. This beer gives you the benefits of wheat...a little lighter, a little more crisp, but you get to keep the hops! I've taken off points of other beers for not being within style guidelines and think I need to be somewhat consistent or this score would be even higher. The IBU's on this one would certainly exceed the norm, but if you're going to stray from the guidelines do it on the side of hops as far as I'm concerned. Very well done!

02-15-2007 02:27:04 | More by Newglarusguy
goschool

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Score! I get to drink a hoppy beer and use my weizen glasses at the same time.

Appearance: This one pours a slightly cloudy light orange with plenty of frothy white head.

Smell: This smells like a more refined batch of Stone 9th Anniversary. Pine hops overpower the soft wheat aroma.

Taste: Again, piney, most likely Amarillo, hops take center stage. There's plenty grapefruit and a bit of tropical fruit in here as well. This isn't IPA hoppy, but it's super-bitter compared any wheat beer I've ever had besides Stone 9th. Wheat is slightly easier to locate in the flavor profile, which makes this refreshing and an oustanding (If it were semi-readily available and cost $3.99) hot summer day thirst quencher.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is light to medium-bodied and as smooth as I can imagine a beer with Amarillo hops ever being.

Drinkability: I like what FFF's is doing in this beer, but Amarillo hops have yet to truly impress me. Gumballhead with mostly Centennials would be tremendous. It's still very refreshing and quaffable.

02-12-2007 18:59:09 | More by goschool
cheers2beers

3.83/5  rDev -9%

Served from a Bomber into a mug.

Apperance: Pours a slightly hazey yellow/orange. Small one finger head with scattered beading. Not much head retention but a nice collar is formed.

Smell: This has the aroma of citrus hops and I will say that I was not expecting that from a wheat beer. A little hay and an ever so gentle suggestion of bananna. Smells pretty fresh.

Taste: The citrus that I smelled have now changed to a very grassy hop flavor. I am also tasting some sort of mineral quality. Very modest malt bill that is only mildly wheaty. This has a bitterness that hangs around like im drinking an IPA. This is interesting but not true to style IMHO.

Mouthfeel: Thinner side of medium and very pleasant. Has an almost powdery or chalky feel on the palate. Leaves an oil slick on the back of my tongue.

Drinkability: This beer has to score very high on drinkability because of its full flavor. This offering is a good beer, just not good for a wheat.

Cheers2Beers

01-26-2007 23:32:26 | More by cheers2beers
kajerm

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

poured from a very colorful bomber into a weizen glass with an almost nonexistent white head but loads of carbonation. the color is more pale ale than wheat beer, and I'm a little surprised at the clarity of this "bottle-conditioned" wheat beer. it's a little cloudy but I can still read through it.

the smell is all hops, powerful and citrusy-- simcoe, maybe? flavorwise, again, the hops are just kicking my ass, and this isn't necessarily a bad thing. the wheat gives it a nice creamy mouthfeel that's very unusual for a beer this ridiculously hoppy. after a few sips, the wheat/malt come out very very subtly before the hops kick back.

did I mention this beer was hoppy?

lingering bitterness, fruitiness, and wheat texture make for a really nice aftertaste. if it went into my mouth the way it tasted after it left, it'd be all fives for sure.

01-26-2007 01:33:58 | More by kajerm
OStrungT

4.63/5  rDev +10%

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color, with a very thick head. The white head fades very slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer has a crisp citrusy aroma. It smells slightly spicy. Some cloves are present. Also, I smell some banana. It has a very slight sweet malty caramel aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Citrusy up front, with some grassy hop flavor as well. It has a mildly spicy flavor. Banana and cloves are present.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It goes down smooth, leaving a citrus like aftertaste. It is perfectly carbonated.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It is low in alcohol, and it is mild. I could probably drink this beer all night.

Overall: Thanks very much to ggaughan for another great beer. I liked this one a lot. I would drink it more often if I could get it.

01-22-2007 05:02:15 | More by OStrungT
TexIndy

Poured from a 22oz bottle with no dating info. Was a hazy golden yellow color. Had a small head that quickly dissipated to a constant film. Some lacing and good carb. The aroma is heavy on the hops along with the citrus notes. Heavy on pine. The mouthfeel is good but not as good as other wheats. The taste is also pretty good. Starts off very hoppy with a good bite of bitter but finishes smooth. The only issue I have is that it's not what I what/expect when I get a wheat. I'm expecting some much smoother and obviously less hoppy. As such, this is a great beer but not a great wheat in my book. Still, highly recommend because whatever you call it it's still good (4, RR, T, Y)

01-14-2007 03:35:07 | More by TexIndy
montageman

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Received in a trade with McAllister (thanks, dude).

This is my first experience with Three Floyds since I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in Michigan. I'm glad I finally got to try one of their brews.

Poured into a pint glass - vibrant yellow like sunshine in a glass with a nice white & foamy head that sticks around for a while. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles are floating to surface as well. Smell is citrusy with a some floral character. Reminds me of summer - light and refreshing. Taste is crisp and refreshing - lemon and bread upfront with a hoppy kick in the back. Very complex and different from any other wheat beer I've tried. Mouthfeel is perfect and emphasizes the strong characteristics of this beer. I could drink this all night long. Perfect for a long summer day. Highly Recommended.

01-09-2007 02:08:16 | More by montageman