Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Petersons Restaurant (Indianapolis)served in a pint glass

A-Yellow/Orange/Gold color, slightly cloudy. About one fingers worth of foamy white head with a fair amount of lacing.

S-Complex mixture of smells. The aroma is heavy with citrusy hops with some wheat malt undertones. I also detect a slight banana smell.

T-The hops are much more pronounced than I would expect from a wheat beer. Fruity, not bitter at all, in fact this beer has a sweet base. Over all not what I would expect from a wheat beer...In a good way

M-Very wet, light, medium bodied...nice

D-I could drink this all night long.

Not exactly what I would expect from a wheat beer, but very enjoyable. I will definatately put this into my regular rotation. Kudos to Three Floyds

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

This is probably the best American Wheat I've ever had. Pours golden yellow, slightly hazy with thick and creamy white head. Great retention and lacing. Smell was strong of hops, which surprised me and well as a lemon citrus with some spice. Taste is citrusy, slightly sweet and fruity and a nice grassy, bitter hops. Smooth and light, leaves a bitter aftertaste. Overall a great beer and good example of the style. Would love to try fresh on tap!

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a nice golden orange color with a creamy smooth head.

Scent of bitter hops, apricot, citrus and grain. A simple and effective scent.

Taste of apricot, grain, hops and citrus. Again, there isn't much complexity, but this is one of the best Wheat Ales available.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a nice bite of carbonation.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Bought a 6 on my latest trip to Chicago. Poured to a golden orange with thin white head that lingered awhile and left okay lacing. Nose was an interesting mix of hoppy citrus fruits, ilke an IPA and a cookie dough-banana wheat. Mouthfeel was slightly bitter, yet full, and the tate resembled the flavors found in the nose. Although I agree with other raters that it's hard to call this a straight wheat beer, it was nonetheless a darn good summer cooler.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Got this crazo beer thanks to AgentZero, an awesome trader btw! Poured into an Allagash Tulip glass cause I thought it would look cool, and a good compromise between pint glass and weizen glass. So let's start this exciting review shall we...

A: Pours pretty bright colored with a creamy 1 finger head and slight popping bubbles, bright golden color with slight orange tinge, and a big weizen cloudiness that almost completely disappears after a minute. I'm afraid this thing is minutes from becoming radioactive with this ominous glow.

N: WOW amarillo hops! I almost get a touch of centennial too, but they're pretty similar, some nice citrus and alcohol add a nice touch to it, its also super spicey, almost like sticking my face in a vat of fresh amarillo hops. Touch of wheat and yeast round this interesting nose off. There's also some strange musty aroma that I can't really figure out. But, I could smell this thing all day. Alas, I have to sip it too...

A: Taste starts very strange, pretty fruity and juicy, lots of hop taste, low alpha hops, and creamy fruit. Slight wheat can barely find its way through the hop fog, but after your tastes adjust to the hops a little you can find the little subtle flavors. The juicy hop explosion in my mouth makes me want to call up the Fruit Snack company and market a new Gushers Hop flavor. The creamy juice runs down the back of my tongue and sweetens the sides making my mouth water even more in excitement for the next sip (Yes I'm still talking about beer, I'm married to a woman you jerk). There's still some interesting tropical fruit flavors, a big guava earthy bite and maybe some Passion fruit or papaya... slight spice that builds, and with all the hop punch, its barely bitter. Probably all very late hops that give it a huge wallop of hops and juice flavor but not much bitter.

M: Very juicy and liquidy (that's the only way to describe it, and if you try it you'll know what I'm talking about). Good carbonation.

F: More sweet fruits and juicy flavors linger on the tongue with delicate spice and bitterness. A slight malt and wheat also dry off the tongue. It just makes you want more and more, I could see pounding back a 4 pack of this noooo problem. Drinkability is huge, especially the thirst quenching aspect.

Final thoughts: I'm about 3/4 of the way through his beer already just reviewing it and sipping, sipping, sipping. This is probably the best session beer I can think of and a wicked unique experience. ALl the interesting flavors meld together very well, I'm surprised this beer hasn't been rated higher, perhaps people are looking for a huge bitter beer, or its just too unique for them. I think this beer is completely misunderstood. I've also only had a few FFF beers so far, and I'm a big fan. Their level of experimentation and consistency on great beers seems to remind me a lot of Dogfish Head. Keep on truckin you magnificent bastards.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Pours a yellowish-gold. Very cloudy in appearance, about a two finger head on my pour, quick dissapation with mild lacing.

S - Quite a bit going on here. Bitter citrus, orange mostly, with some wheat as well. Not quite would one would expect from a wheat beer, a little IPAish.

T - Starts out like an sweeter IPA, but doesn't finish with much of a bite. Expected it to go a little sour, but didn't do that either.

M - Pretty clean, on the lighter side of medium bodied.

D - Quite drinkable, almost a session beer, but I think the citris would get to me after a few.

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Another beer I'm shocked that I have never rated. While it's about a 30-40 minute drive to restock on three floyds products, it is always worth it.

A - Pours a hazy golden like a hefe with a finger of white head that dies down to a lacing.

S - A solid hop smell but also a smooth wheaty smell, with all the orange peel, coriander, etc. you coudl want.

T - A fantastic beer, all the hop bite of a pale ale, but the rich and smoothness of a wheat. Both the hops and the wheat share the palate equally and swirling it around the mouth gives you different tasts.

M/D - This is an exceedingly easy drinker for just about every season. The mouthfeel is rich, but it doesn't fill and coat the mouth.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

The color was a fuzzy gold with a moderate head that had little retention. The aroma was lemon, but had that wheaty/naner-naner smell too. The taste was a crisp, refreshing, lemony tang. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. The drinkability was very good. Love the bad-ass cat.

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Liked: Super floral aroma mixed with the wheat malt to create an almost pineapple fruitiness. The citrus quality carries into the flavor of the beer with some mild sweetness. It's nicely carbonated and has a decent dry finish.

Disliked: The beer was pale and had some noticeable break. The essential cloudiness was light. I didn't experience enough of the wheat character, even for an American wheat beer. I know it's supposed to be hop forward, but there are plenty of IPAs out there doing this job, and New Glarus Crack'd has more balance.

Ok all around. More of a second string for me, though. I'd like to try it on tap. Mild alcohol makes it sessionable. Gumballhead seems to age pretty quickly; get if fresh if you can.

Aquired by trade from Heliosphann

A - light golden hue with a one finger head that quickly dissapears once poured.

S - light orange with a faint wheat smell.

T - burnt orange with a slight peppery aftertaste.

M - a little burn, frothy

D - another nice brew from 3 floyds that I could easily drink a lot of.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Piraat glass.

Pours a light, straw-color...decent head and lacing on the glass. Cloudy/hazy...

Smells of bitter hops, citrus, wheat, grass...very colorful aroma here...and not what I would expect from a beer labeled as "Wheat" beer.

Taste is quite outstanding...not necessarily fitting into a category...very hoppy, sweet, yet bitter. Flavors of citrus, apple, maybe some banana, spice...lost of hops here...which seem to balance well with the malty sweetness of the beer...if not somewhat overpowering at times.

Mouthfeel is slightly chalky...thick...effervescent...it goes down quite well.

The wheat beers I've experienced all vary...and this one seem to stand out as a more drinkable variety...I really like what Three Floyds has created here. a hoppy wheat beer, but decently balanced and quite drinkable. This is a beer I could cuddle up to all night.

Took notes on this one a few days before I had my gallbladder removed.

app. not quite clear but not very murky nice balance and the foam sticks for ages good looking beer.

smell-Strong wheat presence along with a strong amarillo hop presence, lemony zest.

Taste- good taste! strong on the amarillo hops but also strong on the wheaty yeast like flavors leaves a pretty dry crisp finish making this a fine summer beer. My friend said this tastes someone mixed beer and pinsol , fuck that this is delicious

Mf and drink-crisp finish = drinkable beer , low abv , maybe a session beer , light to medium feel that is enjoyable to swish around in my mouth.

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

This poured a slightly hazy bright gold with a bit of white head. It smelled like fresh peaches and persimmons, with some grassy hops and fresh wheat and wild onions. It tasted like unripe peaches, with wild onion and fresh wheat and honey. It was watery with some carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a strange beer. It didn't taste as sugary sweet as the name suggests. It was clean and mostly enjoyable, with decent body, so it was pretty easy to drink. This beer was fun to try once, but I have no real interest in ever having it again. And I really don't understand the hype over it - this is a B+ beer at best. If you want an exceptional American Wheat Ale, try Little Sumpin' Sumpin'.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks Rhoadsrage on a awesome trade! I have been wanting to try this one for quite some time and missed it when it was in Ohio. Poured into a wheat glass pours a yellow red with a fluffy head that leaves nice lace on the glass. Smell is exceptional with citrus, tangerine, pear, orange, beautiful smelling beer. Taste is very impressive with low carbonation and a smooth taste of hops that are not overpowering but sweet and done right. Malt finish on the backend and a high drinkability. Overall this was a very impressive beer and one that went higher than my expectations. I have never been dissapointed with Three Floyds, can't wait to make a trip to the brewpub.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Received via trade from tburkhart.

P- 12 ouncer poured in to a pint glass. A dark cloudy yellow color with an orange looking tint in the middle. About one finger of foamy head that quickly dissipates to a thin layer.

S- I can already tell before I even take a sip that people weren't lying when they say that Gumballhead is the hoppiest wheat beer that they have ever had. Big hop citrusy hop aroma. Lemon and grapefruit peels, pine. It also has a very sweet, candy like aroma. The wheat smell stands out, but not significantly.

T- This is a really interesting beer, that's for sure. The wheat and big hop flavors both hit the tounge at the same time. I'm trying to figure out which one stands out more, but I'm going to go with the citrusy somewhat pineapple'esque hops.

M- Medium bodied, but highly carbonated. Really refreshing.

D- For a beer with a big hop flavor, it is very drinkable. Hmm to bad this isn't available in Massachusetts, because I'd be capable of drinking these even when it's 95 degrees out.

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

GLASS: Franziskaner Weizen Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
I believe this came to me from mjd83goblue. Thanks man!

Pours a crystal clear, light orange color with very mild golden brown tinting. Huge, frothy white head forms, then dissipates to a nice 1/8 inch surface covering after a couple of minutes. Lacing is in sticky little clumps.

Very nice presence of wheat notes here. Good bubblegum notes, though not quite as prominent as expected. Very welcoming notes of citrus hops. Loads of pineapple, some decent mango notes and a hint of ripe peach.

Serious wheat profile, as it should be. A tiny hint of caramel. Very good citrus hops profile, which is nicely balanced in this one. It's definitely hoppier than I prefer my wheats to be, but it's still quite tasty. Mild, almost hidden, hints of bubblegum flavor.

Medium body and medium to high carbonation give this an easy, smooth mouthfeel. There's a light bitterness around the edges, which is a negative, for me.

I can see how this would be enjoyed by many people and in great quantities, most likely. On a warm summer day, I could probably even drink a few of them. Maybe.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Served in a standard pint glass with one finger's worth of very white head. Clear amber in color.

S: Fragrance is light, but noticeable. A little fruity, a little banana, but mostly floral hops.

T: Some light, clean, crisp malt flavor with a decent bit of floral hops. Faint residual banana on the back end.

M: Clean and crisp. Light-medium in body with medium carbonation. Very refreshing.

D: As this is a quite refreshing beer, it is quite easy to drink, especially in the warmer months. I can say this is one of my favorite wheat beers, though that is probably because this is one of the least wheat beer-like wheat beers I've had. High in hops, low in fruity esters.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Big thanks to Wadsey for trading this to me.

A: Crystal clear golden color with an appropriate sized head. I was expecting something a little more cloudy.

S: Unmistakable smell of Amarillo hops.

T: There isn't much bitterness, but there's a lot of hop flavor and aroma. There's also an interesting candy-like sweetness, but it isn't cloying at all.

M: Creamy, silky.

D: If I lived in a state that Three Floyds was distributed to, I would buy this anytime I saw the thermometer creeping upward.

3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance: From the bottle it poured pale golden and extremely clear, with a nice-sized big bubbly head that quickly dissipated. A steady but moderate stream of bubbles arose from the nucleation points in the Sensory glass. I value clarity but this almost looked like a plain-jane industrial lager.

Smell: A slightly resinous and bitter hop aroma balanced by a light sweetness, not too strong but present enough to warrant a mention.

Taste: The ale is light on the tongue and very clean, with not very much sweetness. The decent amount of hop bitterness and the CO2 levels deliver a bright crispness and bitterness, and a very slight biscuit flavor is revealed in the mid- to end-palate.

Mouthfeel: The slightly high levels of carbonation and bittering hops leave the palate feeling a bit buzzy with a bit of dryness. It's decidedly un-sticky but also a bit bracing and slightly spicy.

Drinkability: It's definitely a low ABV thirst-quencher, but to call it a true wheat beer, even an American wheat, is almost a stretch of the definition. It tastes more like some saaz-hopped pilsners or APAs I've had than anything else. While an unfair comparison due to the ABV, an American wheat like Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' blows it away while having many of the same features.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Served to me in a pint glass, this was a very unassuming gold with a small frothy head. It looks very lager-ish.

S: Scents of grapefruit and orange, with some warm grain, and some grassy undertones.

T: Pine and citrus flavors, buttery orange muffin, oregano, it's complex and somewhat spicy.

M: Medium weight beer, a tingling burn, with a drying and lingering finish, slightly bitter around the edges.

D: I do get some of the alcohol, but it's a still a great summery brew.

Notes: Out of the three, I enjoy Lagunitas Sumpin' Sumpin' more, and Bell's Oberon comes in third.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Finally get to try this one, thanks justin for all the great three floyds beer.

Poured 12 oz bottle into a weisbeer glass. Poured straight down, which yielded 2 inches of foam cap that lasted a minute or so.

The appearance was okay, golden amber body that had some slight haziness, from the wheat.

Aroma is sweet and fruity from begining to end. Not overpowering in any way, every sniff is consistent, I detected ripe bananas the most.

The taste is good, for me the taste represented what I could smell. Mild touch of sweetness (banana, candy) followed by a good amount of bitterness for a pale ale. The sweetness and bitterness of this beer is balanced well, with good hop flavor thrown in as well.

Good mouthfeel, medium bodied, smooth, creamy, nice carbonation and just really refreshing.

The drinkability is exceptional. Perfect summer beer, I wish I could get this regularly.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz bottle in Sam Adams glass
Courtesy of Jason (thanks)

A: Dark, gold color, slightly hazy with thin white head, leaves quite a bit of lace.
S: Citrusy American hops, no malt character in the nose.
T: Very hoppy for a wheat beer, a nice level of bitterness with what seems to be a ton of late addition hops, slight caramel sweetness, no yeast flavors are apparent.
M: Crisp, not watery like some American Wheats, high level of carbonation.
D: Goes down very easy on a hot day. Not as heavy as some APAs, but has a lot of the same characteristics. A very good beer, I wish I could get this in KY. Thanks Jason!!

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz bottle poured in a snifter. Thanks to jchampl!

Nice hazy golden color with a big 2 finger fluffy head. Taste is nice and wheaty, with a bit of breat and yeast. Taste is somewhat light a good amount of carbonation. Sweet and tame. Overall a very solid wheat beer and I would seek it out if I was in the midwest!

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

This is one of my favorite main stay beers. I love they hoppiness of Three Floyds beers and this is a great example of a well balanced array of flavors. The beer is a refreshing wheat beer with a zesty hoppy after taste. This is a beer that I can enjoy several pints without getting bored/overwhelmed with the taste or feel full and bloated.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Many thanks to Pullen for giving me this beer! Pouring into Czechvar glass, out of 12oz bottle. No best by date.

A: Gorgeous lemony golden hue! Pillowy head already showing great lacing, but dissipating a little quicker than I would like. Nevertheless, the beer has just the right amount of cloudiness to tell me it is a wheat beer. Not perfect, but nice.

S: Is this a wheat beer? Smells like delicious hops! Amarillos give it a nice lemony citrus nose, not very true to the style, but thats ok we're in America right! Definitely fresh cut grass made more complex by faint aromas of banana, apple, and oranges.

T: Orange peel, lemony hops, and a faint wheat/breadiness coming out on the palate. Finishes with the amarillos, crisp, fresh and just a faint hop kick. Not typical of the style, but kind of nice. Doesn't live up to the hype delivered by the nose, but that's ok, wheat beers usually don't deliver huge here.

M: Nice and refreshing medium body. Great carbonation with an underlying creaminess lending it to a soft mouthfeel. Great for summer!

D: Bring on the summer heat and the bbq's! This is the one to break out on your ipa loving friends who claim wheat beers belong in Europe. Very drinkable, crisp, wonderful wheat beer characteristics, but a nice presence of hops! Loved this one as it is 85 outside!

Gumballhead from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub