Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,003 | Reviews: 1,469
3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Lots of big hop and yeast chunks are visible after the pour! More than in my homebrew DIPA. Sweet! It's also quite active, and eventually the sediment settles and it has pretty good clarity, especially considering how it started. The thick white foam on top hung out for a bit, then settled to film and ring. More golden than yellow in color.

Bright, citrusy, amarillo hops are balanced perfectly by the wheaty malty sweet body. Smells way bigger than it is. Inviting and intriguing.

Like the nose, but not as rich and deep. The same amarillo/malty/wheaty mix, but just good, not exceptional. Bitterness is mellow.

adequate carbonation, thin/medium body, crisp finish.

This beer has alot of the hop character, especially in the nose, of a good IPA or APA, but without the bitterness and as much booze. A great, easy drinking stepping stone toward the hoppy end of the beer spectrum.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

A:Pours a see thru golden color with a thick white head with excellent lacing left down the glass

S:Not what you expect, nice wheat undertones with a big hop aroma followed up afterwards

T:Nice wheat tones up front and in the middle with a attack of hops on the backend that then take over the palate.

M:Excellent body with near perfect carbonation, palate is once again dominated by those hops that seems to pull this brew together

D:Hands down the best wheat brew out there, doesn't even taste like any other wheat beer I have ever had. Easy drink with great taste and aroma, could drink this all the time and usually do. Get your hands on some

3.59/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks to Steve for this in my recent box of goodies! I've been waiting to try this one.

Gumballhead pours smooth, with a small head, and then sits a little hazy and straw colored. The aroma features the citrusy amarillo hops they note on the bottle along with tons of wheat.

It tastes like wheat, starts and finishes with hops, and is most definitely pale. Gumballhead feels light although it has a good alcohol content, and it's surely an easy drinker.

I can give it props for doing the style well. Just doesn't seem to be a style that I much enjoy. Ho hum.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Light yellow/gold, very small carbonation bubbles, white head with decent retention.

Aroma: You can smell the wheat immediately, some light hop aroma with slight citrus notes

Taste: more hop flavor than I remembered, grapefruity, some hop bitterness in the back of the throat, aftertaste is of hop bitterness and dry

Mouthfeel: light body, highly carbonated with small bubbles

Overall: Such a tasty beer, I'm not usually a huge fan of American Wheats but Gumballhead is hopped up enough. These will be great once summer comes around again, perfect to bring to the beach or just drink sitting around.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

A- Pours a golden body with a white head.

S- Smell of hops and a scent of grass..

T- Taste of wheat and hops and a hint of grass but this works great.

M- Semi dry with a grassy note with hops linger through out sip.

D- Very Good. My first Hoppy wheat beer and it's hoppy. Very tasty beer. I need to get some more. ISO ISO...

Cheers...

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this brew serveral times over the last year but only getting around to reviewing it now care of a bottle from adamb0719. Thanks Adam! Reviewed on 12/13/10.

Pours a crystal clear light golden yellow color. A white head composed of large fizzy bubbles forms and fades quick hanging close to the edges of the glass. A thin patch of lace resides atop this brew and forms some spotty lacing on the glass.

The aroma is grassy hops that also includes a bit if fruited smell and citrus. Notes of orange and tropical fruits are evident. A light grainy backing of wheat sweetness fills in the back portion of the nose.

The taste is grassy, leafy hops upfront with bitter citrus rind. Mid palate includes fruit flavors before turning herbal and bitter with wheat and other grainy tastes. It finishes with a lingering grain flavor and herbal hops.

Light bodied and modestly carbonated. This is a very drinkable beer that I would go to all summer long if it was regulary available. Surprisingly I found this bottled offering to be much more enjoyable then when I had it on tap back in April.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Nice golden hue with a thin head; bubbly; lacing is okay

S: A surprising alcohol presence; grainy with a fairly subdued hop presence: piney and oily

T: A great hop bitterness; lots of pine and hop oils but a pleasant grainy malt presence sits below; a refreshing beer

F: Good carbonation; nice even mouth feel

D: Very drinkable; great refreshing and easy drinking beer

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a fluted glass. Served ice cold.

This wheat beer poured a full 1 and 1/2 half to 2 fingers of frothy/eggnog like foam. I sometimes blame my pouring style but feel this head was intentional by the brewmasters.

The color was an almost clear honey/dark hued yellow. Slightly cloudy but that vanished rather quickly.

Despite the description written on the bottle I heartily digress that lemon is the key smell or taste dominant in this wheat beer. I attribute both the smell and taste as a harmonious blend of grapefruit and very filtered water. If you can imagine the old grapefruit juice cans (made of steel) with a steel foil tab. That's the aroma. Not to demean the beer--I find it to be excellent and delicious but was reminded of the old cans of grapefruit juice when I tasted it.

I found the beginning and the finish to be even. There was no change or crescendo in initial taste to swallow. This is odd to me as I find almost all beers to dramatically change in taste both during and after the drinking process. This quality combined with the fruity/wheat yumminess proves to be an excellent drinking beer. I will seek this out again with vigor. Highly recommend.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

bottle courtesy of daveonba, cheers dave!

a- bottle poured into a weizen, slight haze golden honey brown coloring, one plus fingers fade quickly to a layer of large and small bubbles.

s- wow. bright pink grapefruit, zesty lemon - very apparent, wheat is on the back burner here and i'm not minding in the slightest.

t- lemon, hello again, highly bittered, zippy grapefruit juice and pith, really really tasty.

m- medium, slick and coating.

d- gumballhead breaks the mold for what a apwa can be, this is definitely up there with little sumpin sumpin, i get more bitterness here than in alpha king. this is very drinkable - if i had access to this brewery this would be a staple in my fridge for sure.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

I had this beer on tap at the Houlihan's in Shererville, IN.

A: clear, bright yellowish amber, big, fluffy white head, excellent retention, great cap & lacing.

S: floral and citrus hops, sweet wheat bread, hint of bubble gum, grassy and piny notes.

T: sweet wheat bread and bubble gum up front, lemon and orange citrus, floral, grass, and hint of pine in the middle, grassy note predominates the finish, along with a floral note.

M: light-bodied, watery to silky, moderate+ carbonation, finish is herbaceous.

D: reminded me of a light version of their Pride & Joy.

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

A fantastically refreshing wheat beer with a stunningly assertive taste.

Pale yellow colour with a very light haze. Poured an awful lot of head - not sure whether that's a sign of too little or too much bottle aging yeast, or if that's just the way this beer is - unfortunately only have the one bottle.

Subtle aroma, but followed with an eye-openingly brilliant taste. Amarillo hops, lots of them and beautifully done. Definitely a beer I will seek out again.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to a beer-minded buddy who happened to be traveling past the brewpub and picked up a 6 for me. Something I've wanted to try for a while.

A- pours a translucent golden color with lots of little bubbles rising from the glass. Only a small head that settled quickly.

S- nose was all citrus, but this also seemed to fade quicker than normal... it was nice when it was there, maybe I just got used to it quicker than normal.

T- nice solid citrus profile here, starts grapefruit and ends lemon, but there's no real aversive bitterness here, yet it's still hoppy, one of the few beers I've had that is able to achieve this. Also a touch of wheat to it, almost like the crunchy shell of a good french loaf.

M- sparkles on the tongue with a just right amount of carbonation. Flavor stays with you for a while, but it's consistent throughout and I wouldn't call it an aftertaste due to the fact that it doesn't change.

D- very drinkable brew that I will enjoy finishing the 5 I have left. Definitely worthy of a try, but I'm not sure it lives up to all the hype it gets.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Favorite of the American Wheat Ales!! I've heard this many times and know for a fact My gf is not a beer lover but will easily take one of my Gumball Heads!!

The color is Golden with slight orange pours a 2 finger head that dissipates into a half rocky head that climbs down the glass!!

Taste is hops with some lemon breaks up the dryness you get from other wheats! Carbonation is great

I could easily drink a 6pack of this and love every drop! This is a great wheat ale but one of the hardest to find even though I work at a liquor store we only get a limited supply so if you fall in love, stock up!!

4.71/5  rDev +11.9%

First off I just now realized that I have not reviewed this beer and this is funny because it is one of my favorittes and the craft beer that turned me onto this wonderful hobby of ours.

The appearance rocks! huge head and a golden orange body and is consistent with its color. The bubbles shoot up to the whip cream like head.

Smell is citrusy hopps and fills my nose with almost a lemony smell

Taste is amazing. It is a hoppy taste with out the bitterness. This beer makes me feel like it is summer.

Mouthfeel is great the only reason it isnt a 5 is because of it being just a tad light

Drinkability on this one is the highest I have ever had. I could drink one of these everyday and have to be pretty self diciplined not to just drink the whole six pack.

I have to applaud three floyds for having one of the best beers I have ever tasted

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Second Three Floyd's I've had a chance to try.

A - Very straw like color. head is almost non existent. Beer is very clear. Particularly because it is a wheat beer. No chill haze and no protein or yeast haze.

S - Citrus hops and slight grain. Not very aggressive.

T - Wow, the hops really come forward. Great orange citrus flavor. Graininess and bitterness at the finish. Very slight fruity esters.

M - Thin, not very carbonated and very session like.

D - Very drinkable and refreshing. This would be great on a hot summer day. Too bad it is the middle of winter in Ohio.

Overall I really like this. It is a thinner, smaller pale ale. Hard to even tell that there is wheat in there. Just a graininess in the finish. I don't detect any specialty grains at all. This is a simple refreshing summer beer for those that love American hops.

3.57/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On draft at Rich O's Public House; 16 oz pint served in a traditional tumbler glass

A: Golden, crisp, very clean and clear body; fairly thin white head that quickly recedes; lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Maybe my nose wasn't working, but this seemed rather tame on the nose; slight grainy notes, followed by growing pine and resin notes from the hops; aromas seem to wake up as the beer warms, but I wasn't getting a lot of the bouquet here.

T: Taste is much more assertive than the nose - much stronger here with a very hoppy punch up front. Pine, grapefruit notes followed by a quick dose of maltiness in the form of sweet biscuit notes that try to balance out the hops. But that citrusy pucker from the hops returns to win over the aftertaste. Interesting, yet I can't help but feel like I'm not getting all of the wheat aspect of this pale ale - perhaps a flash of it here and there, but the hops seem to want to drown out the wheat with bittering, resiny notes that linger beyond each sip.

M: Slick on the palate; nice carbonation that bites through to keep things relatively light.

D: Easy drinking and packing decent flavor for just 5.5% ABV.

I must say that I'm not entirely sold on this beer. Don't get me wrong - there wasn't anything unpleasant about this beer, but as a pale wheat ale, I just was not getting as much of the wheat side as I expected. The balance seemed to swing more towards an IPA, if anything. It definitely has more flavor than your average American-style wheat beer thanks to the hop presence, so I'd say it sits above the likes of Sam Adams Summer Ale or GI's 312. But the question - Is it worthy of all the hype it receives? I'm not sure I can say after one tasting - will have to try another bottle to see if does enough to change my tastes or my opinion.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a very nice honey tinged amber color. This beer carries only the slightest hint of the cloudiness that is usually associated with wheat beers. It seems to have low carbonation and as a result has only a little bit of a bright white head. What little head there is leaves pretty nice lacing.

The aroma is quite interesting. Very clean with a nice lemon zest character as well as a bit of tropical type hop smells, clean malt sweetness and just a hint of wheat.

The flavor is much like the aroma. Nice and clean with the wheat being only a subtle component to the brew. It has a very nice lemony citrus hop character, as well as more of the tropical fruitiness. Perhaps a bit of cracker like flavors as well. This is very refreshing.

The mouthfeel is on the light end of medium for this beer, with a carbonation that is spot on. Not too vigorous or gentle, it seems to hit the sweet spot. Speaking of hitting the spot, this beer finishes wonderfully with a nice, slightly zesty flavor left on the tongue.

This is super drinkable and by far the best American wheat beer that I have ever had. It makes me wish that more breweries were making wheat beers like this. Yet another great beer from Three Floyds.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from bottle into Pint Glass

A - Beer poured with a gold clear body; one finger frothy white foam formed and dissipated relatively quickly; saw a higher than usual amount of sediment floating in the beer; active amount of carbonation; good amount of lacing; slight oily appearance

S - Flowery aroma blast; hyped up with hop back-end; finishes with a great crispy scent; orange, lemon and other fruits come up too (peachy)

T - Refreshing citrus-flower and hop taste; nice touch of hops and other fruity ingredients; hint of biscuit malts taste; fantastic blend of citrus flavors; taste moves around your mouth stimulating all your taste buds, washes over your tongue and finishes off with a slight hop bitterness and a mild dry aftertaste

M - Full of flavor; creamy consistency; oily mouthfeel; smooth feel with a mild amount of carbonation

D - Just a fantastic drink; one of my personal favorites; I could have quite a few of these and be very happy; FFF brewers did a fantastic job coming up with a unique blend of ingredients to produce a memorable beer

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

onto my second FFF beer this evening. I have my fingers crossed that I enjoy this as much as I did Alpha King

A- a ridiculously carbonated unfiltered golden yellow body that has a solid white head of foam on the top. There is some stickiness of lacing, but not overwhelming. The brew looks like the Gatorade of Craft Beer... thirst quenching for the warm weather

S- strong citrus hops and lemon zest are all over the nose of the brew. The hops are an explosion with the scent. There are some biscuity themes that no doubt highlight the wheat component of the brew

T- home run! The lemony taste is tied together with the citric hop bitterness. The brew is dry at the end and crisp at the same time at the end of the brew. Plain and simple... it's just tasty

M- good flavor that is crisp, carbonated, and good with coating on the mouth

D- Gumballhead is another unbelievable brew from FFF. I challenege anyone to find a better drinkable brew for a resfreshing drink. I will try to find more of these somehow, someway!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Gumballhead, my favorite beer. Love that its brewed here in Indiana as well, which makes it readily available. Pours a light bronze color with a light head. Leaves a lacy trail. The taste is wonderful. The wheat is prevalent and delicious. A great beer overall, enjoyed year round. Really though, with FFF, you can't go wrong.

4.06/5  rDev -3.6%

I received a 6-er of this from a trade with Atown from Illinois and I was quite pleased with the trade and this beer. I wish I was drinking this in the summer, because this looks quench-tastic. A slightly hazy golden color with bubbly carbonation floating through my glass. The head was about 3/4 of an inch and of average density. Unfortunately the head dissipated quickly after the first two sips. If I were to judge the style of beer by smell alone I would be convinced that this was a straight-up IPA. I did not detect any wheat in the nose. (though I'm no bloodhound) The taste was good, but not what I expected, which made trying this beer fun. It has interesting depth with the hop/wheat combo. The emphasis is certainly on the hops, and they have a pine flavor to them which I really liked. The wheat played second fiddle in this brew to the hops. The more subtle flavor of the wheat may be a letdown if you are looking for a good wheat beer, but if you enjoy wheat beers and IPAs then its a fun blend. Mouthfeel is medium to light and its pretty crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a very drinkable beer. A good middle ground between two of my favorite summer styles.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

APPEARANCE: Thick, bubbly head poured from the tap at the Morseland in Rogers Park, Chicago. Yellow and slightly cloudy.

SMELL: Grapefruit and hops come through in this powerful nose.

TASTE: Delicious beer. Grapefruit, hops and a hint of wheat provide a very full-bodied flavor that hits you up front before mellowing on the back end. A mild, hoppy aftertaste is left behind.

SMELL: Interesting feel. Not too strongly carbonated, the light tickling bubbles that were present seemed to melt on their way down.

OVERALL: This is an easy beer for an IPA drinker to drink, but probably not what most wheat beer drinkers would have in mind. It is bold, strong and delicious.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Draft poured into 3Floyds pint glass at Chicago's own Local Option.
One-finger, pale yellow head sits atop clear, saffron liquid.
Heavy (for a any wheat beer) hop nose with citrus, orange and mild spices.
Wheat balanced citrus with nice hop presence separates this brew from your standard wheat offering. Complex, medium body with plenty of lingering bitterness mellowed smooth from lips to tongue.
My favorite wheat beer and like most 3Floyds products deviates from the norm into areas that produce pleasant surprises.

4.07/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz bottle to tulip. No date or batch number. Gifted to me by a great bartender at my local. Sampled 10/25/10.

A: Three fingers of bright white foamy head erupts on the pour and lasts for a good deal of time afterward. Complete sheets of lacing coat the glass initially but dry up quickly and leave little evidence that they were ever there. The body is clear except for a light blurry haze and is golden-orange in color.

S & T: Simply put, this nose is fantastic! The malts are practically non-existent and it allows the hops to come through withot inhibition. Juicy citrusy aromas and flavors of grapefruit, orange and lemon mixed in with just about every glorious tropical fruit that you can think of, namely mango, pineapple and peach. A distinct bubblegum aroma comes through as well. Moderately sweet, the bitterness is kept to a minimum (thanks to the Amarillo hops) while the aroma and flavor are abundant.

M: The lack of malts hurt the mouthfeel and the endurance of flavor. I realize that APWAs are meant to be light, refreshing quaffs but Gumballhead, in my opinion, would benefit from a slightly beefier body and thicker texture. Just slightly. The amount of carbonation is average or below and leaves a little to be desired as well.

D: Despite the low mouthfeel score, Gumballhead is still an excellent brew and I would purchase cases of it during the summer months if only FFF would distribute to PA, the greedy SOBs.

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to TCGoalie for the bottle. Reviewed from notes crafted on 11/17/10.

Gumballhead pours a bronzed-gold with a light khaki head into a sniffer. An ominous swirl of misty foam remains on top of the attractive brew as medium-sized carbonation bubbles rush to the surface. The lacing clings to the sides of the glass in the shape of small dots and streaks.

The Amarillo hops are the first noticed and biggest presence in the smell. Those combine with a slightly spicy wheat aroma and result in a very tangy citrus aroma of lemon, tangerine, and lime. There is a sourdough bread and biscuit scent supporting the hop and wheat aromas.

The wheat and hops marry so well in my mouth that I cannot separate the two flavors. The grainy, spicy wheat and the lemon-lime citrus hops arrive on my palate simultaneously and play all over my mouth. The finish is distinct hop bitterness and is a fitting palate cleanser. The lemon- lime flavor of the hops sticks with me as the bittering hops pucker the sides of my palate.

A combination of a medium- bodied creaminess and a zesty pucker constitute the mouthfeel. This is a fine and intriguing combo and makes my mouth quite happy. The carbonation is just right for this brew and rounds off a delightful mouthfeel.

Certainly one of the most interesting American wheat beers that I've had, Gumballhead is a beverage that I will certainly look for again. Maybe it's just because I like hops so much, but I'd say it's my favorite wheat beer that I've tried so far. Yet another winner from 3 Floyds.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.