Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Obtained in a trade (thanx Brundo4!) 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.
Light golden amber with a one-finger head which quickly settled to a coating. Lacing was thin but lasting. Nose was lemon zest, wheat and floral, with a sweet bready undertone. Good carbonation. Taste follows the nose. Hops are there and up front like an APA or IPA but they are quickly beaten back by the malty sweetness. The aftertaste remains sweet but with a nice dry finish. Mouthfeel was smooth, thin and pleasantly sticky. At a little over 4%, this beer is definitely sessionable. Yep, already I want more...

4.42/5  rDev +5%

A - Pours a golden straw color with a very slight haze to the body. This is topped by a bright white one finger head that recedes to a thin cap after a few minutes, but still leaves a nice spotty lacing.

S - Smells very citrusy, Pineapple and grapefruit seem to be the prominent aromas. Smells delicious!

T & M - Light bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. The citrus hops are beautifully represented in this brew...not overwhelmingly so, but this is not an IPA. Hop and wheat play so well together in this beer. (On retrospect, I don't think I've ever had a wheat beer that had such a hop representation...and I think I like it!)

D - This is a brew I could drink all day long in the Summertime. FFF outdid themselves brewing this one, and I wish it was more readily available in my area. I will certainly be recommending this to my friends!

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Great hazy wheat appearance, slight head, mid range to dark yellow color.

If you've smelled a better floral hop aroma in a wheat beer, let me know. Can't think of anything comparable beyond Sumpin x2.

Phenomenal hop quality in a wheat beer, again reminiscient of the Lagunitas product, maybe superior, regardless we're talking about the best 2 in the world. Would guess dry hopped Amarillo for days. Good dry finish in the mouthfeel. Could drink forever. Little more citrus orange than the grapefruit feel. About a 60/40 split.

Would have given it another .5 if didn't have to deal with the hassle of getting the beer.

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%

12oz. bottle courtesy of honestdave tnanx bro

A: poured a golden yellow into my tulip with a 2 finger head and left some good sticky lacing on my glass.

S: has some nice hoppy floral aromas that seems to balance out well with the malts in the nose. I also got hints of caramel and citrus zest as well. Very pleasent smell to this beer.

T: a creamy citrus flavor hit my palate first with slight hoppy bitterness which had not too much malt charater to it.

M: light to meduim body with very little carbonation but had a creamy texture with some crispness.

D: was kinda flat for the style but I always enjoy a FFF beer. Overall had a good nose and a decent flavor. Wouldn't mind having some more.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Golden-yellow with an orange tinge. Slightly cloudy. A really aggressive pour yielded a very thin head that's already fading.

S - Amarillo hops are awesome. The smell is just incredible. Huge grapefruit notes(smells like someone is zesting one under my nose). The wheat comes through as well, but it definitely sits backseat to the hops.

T - Bitterness is handled really well with Gumballhead. It's there upfront with lots of grapefruit(lots of pith) and some light orange, but as the wheat comes into play it smooths things over and mixes to create an almost half and half finish between bitterness and sweetness.

MF - At 4.8%, Gumballhead still has a full body for the ABV. Creaminess from the wheat and the right amount of carbonation keep things just right and pointed in the direction of...

D - Amazing. Seriously, I could drink this all day without getting tired of it. Easily the best American Wheat beer I've had. Too bad Three Floyds beers aren't available anywhere close to here.

4.49/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw color. One finger of head leaving little lacing.

S: Mango, tangerine, and citrus hops. What a surprise for a wheat beer! No cloves or bananas, just good ole Amarillo hops.

T: Citrus and lemon hops bring a nice bitter kick to the beer. Is this really a wheat beer? I guess the slightly bready finish leans back towards the style. An excellent wheat beer for hopheads though.

M: Feels like an IPA. Resinous hops that stick to the tongue. Moderate carbonation and medium to light body.

D: The best (although I may be hop-biased) wheat beer I've had to date. Great summer beer. Easy drinking and leaves you wanting more.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

a - Very light gold
s- Excellent dank hoppy smell, with some sweetness behind it
t- Mouth watering citrus, maybe a hint of bitter
m- Thin but I think that is correct for this beer and its abv
d- Goes down very very easy. I imagine a six pack of this could be killed quite easily. I'll let you know how it goes...

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Got this one as an extra from NorthsideFred, thanks again man!

Consumed 3/24/2010- from notes.

Brown 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Pale hazy yellow with faint streamers of carbination bubbles heading up. Topped off with a soapy one finger white head that faded pretty quick to a patchy skim.

S- Citrus and a little grassy/floral note.

T- The citrus seems stronger, the grassy seems weaker and there is a little spice bite here and there. Also a little sweetness every now and then.

M- On the light/medium border, mild carbination tingle.

D- Seemed pretty easy to drink, not my favorite style but I'd probably pick up another if I ever come across it again.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Pours a nice hazy light orange. Disappointingly short white head maintains moderate retention and some decent lacing. Not particularly impressive, but good looking nonetheless.

Smell is purely Amarillo. Perfectly ripe orange with a dank twist. Maybe a slight wheat tang, but that could be the pour of suggestion at work.

This is a tough beer to rate on flavor. I get the feeling this beer tastes EXACTLY as it's intended to, but it doesn't have a lot of depth or complexity. This is a ridiculously smooth, ridiculously Amarillo-forward wheaty pale ale, and it couldn't be more successful at that. Ripe orange, tangy sweet wheat, and just a bit of pine on the finish. Very, very, little bitterness. Might be missing a little something that another hop variety could provide.

Very light in body with minimal, fine carbonation. Nice and clean.

Uber refreshing, delicious, low in ABV, and goes down like water. This beer IS drinkability.

3.4/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Golden yellow color, veiled like a wheat beer with almost no head

S: Citrus, floral, but overall very very faint.

T: Citrus, with a very small amount of bitterness.S eems to be some other fruits, beside the citrus. Like the smell... not very strong taste.

M: Medium to thin body. Small to medium amount of carbonation.

D: Definition of a session beer. Could put back quite a few on a hot summer day. Overall I really don't think it lives up to the hype of one of the best wheat beers out there.

4.49/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a very pale orange with a fluffy 2-finger white head. Eventually a ring, leaves barely any lacing. Quite a bit of sediment floats in a standstill. Although this looks like a pretty typical pale wheat, the smell and taste is anything but. Lots of fresh, fruity hops, orange peel, and pine. The taste is excellent, I'm getting citrus, pine and lemon. Nice caramel malt and an amount hops that could be sufficient for an IPA, I'm already getting hop burps after a few sips. If you're really looking for a wheat taste you will probably be disappointed, I'm not getting any until the end, a nice fruity wheat finish. Gumballhead is easily a stand-out in a usually dull style, there is so much flavor and body here for a 4.8% beer. SO drinkable. Drinkability is through the roof, I finished this very quickly and enjoyed every second of it. This may be the ultimate session beer, if I ever am in their distribution area I will try to pick up a case of it. Three Floyds is definitely solid in my book right now. Thanks to sportscrazed2 for sending this out my way.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

I picked up a case of this at DLD 2010. So this should be some what fresh. A 12oz. bottle poured into my new 3F pilsner glass that I also picked up on DLD.

A: Pours a hazy straw yellow with very little head. Some lacing in the glass left behind the entire beer.

S: Smells great with those amarillo hops just jumping out of the glass! To me this beer just smells fresh. I'm also picking up sents of pine and flora.

T: This beer taste amazing! Crisp lemony tatse all the way threw with a crisp finish! Slightly bitter tatse at the end.

M: Medium bodied, more on the thinner side. Well balanced beer with small carbonation.

D: Very high drinkabilty! I think this beer is perfect for any occasion! This is the beer that got me into craft beer, so i'll be drinking this one till the end. Always stocked in my fridge!

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a clear yellow/golden color. 1" head in a pint glass drops to a film quickly.
Smell is a huge blast of hops resin with a touch of malt behind and maybe some lemon.
Taste is much better balanced. Malty, hops, pepper with hints of banana and alcohol.
Medium-bodied, slightly fizzy up front but finishes smooth and malty with a banana aftertaste. Pretty good and a nice transition brew from the megas to real beers.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Got this one as an extra from a generous trader! Drank from my CCB snifter.

A- Pours hazy gold in color. A big white head from a semi-aggressive pour. Nice retention and some moderate lacing left behind.

S- Piney hops up front with hints of citus that follows. A sweetnees is present, would almost guess honey. Very floral!!

T- MMM...nice mellow hops. Not overly aggressive or bitter! It's perfectly balanced with malts, slight citrus take, and what I'm guessing is honey. Not a big wheat presence. As in the nose, I'm def getting a strong floral presence, I believe it's lavander.

M- Nice and refreshing. A nice clean finish that leaves me wanting MORE and MORE of this beer.

D- Unlike any wheat brew I have ever tried. It's EASILY my favorite. Might not be the poster beer for the style, however, it's 10x better than any wheat I've had before. This would def be a go to brew for me! I could drink this all day!!! PERFECT 5 here!

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Great beer! The hoppy wheat thing works perfectly here! Poured with a nice fine foamy frothy off white head and good lace. Color is a clear amber. Aroma is malty hoppy and fruity. Flavor's similar. Body is excellent ditto carbonation. Finish is a tad sweet but very well balanced. Very drinkable. Session beer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

A. Slightly cloudy, straw to light amber appearance. Nice fluffy white head that laces beautifully and hangs around nicely.

S. Bready malt and a tropical fruitiness are dominant. There's also that indescribable signature FFF spiciness.

T. I don't get the wheat characteristics you'd expect from this beer - it tastes like a nice APA with some spiciness and lemon. Not sure why it works so well but it does.

M. Medium bodied with good carbonation. Goes down easily.

D. High drinkability here. Nice complexity too for its measly 4.8% ABV. If this stuff was a couple bucks cheaper a 6-pack, it would have a permanent spot in my fridge during the summer. I need to do a side-by-side comparison between this and NG's Crack'd Wheat for fun.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Thank to beerwolf77 (again!) for this awesome extra. Before I even pour this, I have a distinct feeling that I want at least 2.

A: Pours a transparent (but slightly cloudy) pale gold color with small chunks of yeast floating around. The head is thick, fluffy, dense and creamy in appearance. Lots of foam sticks to the glass. Retention is decent, lasting only a minute or two

S: Delicious hops greet the nose immediately. Resinous, floral, bitter, and fruity. Pineapple, apple skin, grapefruit, and peach. The wheat malt balances the hops very nicely, lending some toffee, caramel, and brown sugar notes. Almost even a little perfumey as it warms.

T: Holy smokes!The wheat malt is more prevalent than in the nose giving you some, well, wheat flavor. Grainy and wheaty. The hops have a strong citrus kick (lemon/grapefruit) as well as some peach and apricot flavors. Honey is also pretty noticeable and adds a sweet flavor to the lively, twangy hops. The brew gets a little bready/wheaty after it decants for a while. Amazingly balanced, and pretty mellow other than the citrus bite, and really delicate.

MF/D: Higher carbonation, which seems to be typical of the style, and of light beers in general to get all those flavors to your senses. Clean and refreshing finish with a lingering honey flavor.

Amazingly refreshing and clean, the ultimate session beer, along with Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss, and I can only imagine this to be the best tailgate beer. My only regret is living outside of the FFF distribution range.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

I only had one bottle of this left in the fridge after a party...
A - Pours bright gold
S - Smells very citrus/pine forward, hint of vanilla
T - Refreshing, smooth, clean, finishes crisp with a lemony tang at the back of your tongue. It's nice.
D - This is damn drinkable... I only wish I had a second.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Fresh bottle shipped to me thanks to Justin. Gumballhead pours a fairly bright gold with a slight haze and a nice thick white head, though not as big as most wheat beers, it still looks real nice with lots of retention and lace. The aroma is fresh and hoppy with pine with a bit of a lemony twang and some vague caramel hops. The wheat does not come through much in the nose, but it would be hard pressed to overpower the hop aroma. The aroma is very good, though it is a dead ringer for an XPA moreso than an APWA.

The flavor pops amarillo, piney and citrusy hop notes with a background of caramel malt. The finish has floral notes, lingering bitterness (a bit out of place for a wheat, again) and somewhat dry cookielike malt finish too. This is one of those beers that in a BJCP competition would totally flunk out of the style guidelines, but I can't really hold that against it because this is a delicious beer. The mouthfeel has a bit of that milkshake thickness from the wheat with a prickly carbonation that isn't quite spritzy. The wheat adds good body for this sessionable brew. Drinkability is very high, flavorful, very hoppy, not palatewrecking, though intense for something in this category. I'll go ahead and call it a good thing though.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Another traded to me by Dmahaffa.

Poured out of a 12 oz glass into my 12 oz Stone IRS snifter

A - Pours a murky orangish color with a finger width of frothy white head. Some nice lacing is left on the glass.

S - Smell is sweet. Some lemony zest mixed with freshly baked bread. It's good.

T - Taste kind of follows the nose. Lemon fiavor mixed in with some sweetness from a fresh bread like taste or something like that.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation. Maybe a touch watery.

D - Very easy to drink. I could get used to this...if I lived where this was distributed. Great sessionable beer.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

I ordered this one on draught with little knowledge about it other than the reputation of the brewery. I certainly enjoyed it, but I never would have guessed that this was a pale wheat due to the hop character that is much more amplified than is typical for the style.

The color is a slightly hazy golden yellow with a thin cream-white head. The hops come through in the aroma with a dry citrus scent that lays on top of an underlying fruit sweetness. That same balance is evident in the flavor as well, with a lemony hop flavor contrasting with a light fruitiness. This one is fairly light bodied, which combined with the light but pleasant flavors makes this one an easy drinking selection.

Overall, the Gumballhead drinks like some kind of hybrid between a wheat ale and an American pale ale. The hop flavor and aroma don't overpower, though, but merely makes you stop and think about what you are drinking.

2.77/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours into a pint glass.

A - Pours a cloudy brightish yellow color with a white head that produces a bit of lacing.

S - Light hops right away, some sugary sweetness and citrusy scents too.

T - Really light tastes of hops, lime zest, and water. Didn't know anything about this before I tried it, very light tasting beer.

M - Typical light beer mouthfeel.

D - This just doesn't have enough flavor for me, way to light tasting, it is nice and refreshing but definitely want more flavor.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

A- fours a hazy golden color, with bits of unfiltered wheat and yest floating around. a good sized foamy white head floats atop this beer, settling to leave spotty lacing.

S- Citrusy lemon and grapefruit zest is apparent right of the bat, there's some spicniess there as well present with cloves being most noted. some sweet pale malts come through here and there as well. and i dunno if its because of the name playing mind games, but i can almost get a pink bubblegum aroma in there too.

T- Good citrus qualities right of the bat that fade to a bitter citrus before the spices and malts come to play. finishes with another burst of citrus from the hops along with a nice hop bitterness.

M/D- light bodied, good hearty carbonation make this beer one that would be great to enjoy on a nice hot summer day. one of the tastier wheat beers i've had. truely enjoyed.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

12oz bottle poured into a UFO wheat beer glass.

A - Pours a nice golden color with good clarity (just the slightest of wheat haze). Two fingers of loose white foam sits on top with decent staying power that falls to a thin layer of of foam on the surface. Lots of nice effervesence rises from the bottom of the glass.

S - Lots of crisp lemon up front with some orangey citrus too. Only a small whisper of wheat aroma, a touch sweet, some light clovey/spicy smells too.

T - Light and refreshing, nice crisp bitterness that is solid but not overpowering. Slightly sweet wheat and barley malt underneath. Some lemony citrus flavor too.

M - Mouthfeel is thin, just above the watery level with a medium-high carbonation level giving a nice prickly sensation.

D - This is an amazingly drinkable beer. Hops are crisp and bitter sitting on top of soft malt flavors. The nice lemony touches really round things out. Extremely smooth and easy drinking, goes down as easy as water...perfect craft beer for spring yard work. Excellent.

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Poured a hazy golden base with a minimal bubbly white head which dissipated rather quickly leaving a foamy ring.

The citrus is the overpowering smell but some hoppy undertones creep through if you spend some time with your schnoz on the rim.

Taste is easy..pure heaven. To be specific, there is a citrusy, grapefruity-thing going on up front which fades to a mildly bitter aftertaste. Easily one of the better beers I have tasted of late.

You can definitely feel the carbonation but it isn't overpowering....certainly not inappropriate.

Drinkability is almost as easy as taste....I could drink this constantly until my stomach explodes, it's just that good.

Definitely a beer to pour cold into a cold glass on a HOT day. I dare say it is the most "refreshing" beer I have ever experienced.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.