Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

An American Wheat Ale, Gumballhead is named in honor of the underground comic book cat created by Rob Syers. Initially a seasonal summer beer, now brewed year round due to demand. This beer helped redefine American Wheat Beers. Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness make Gumballhead a refreshing American Wheat Beer that doesn’t suck.

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance - Poured a slighly hazy yellow/staw color. Little to no carbonation at all. The head quickly resolved into a thin ring with little residual. Rather stoic in body.

Smell - I'm not a big hop fan, but you can't help but love the grapefruit aroma of a well hopped beer. This is not slouch with a wonderful fruit-salad/grapefruit nose. Plenty of citrus to keep the hop-heads happy.

Taste - I was expecting a full hop "in your face" beer and was very much suprised to find a somewhat balanced offering. Don't get me wrong, if you don't like a strong hop presence than steer clear, but I think those malt-lovers among us will be pleased to taste more than just hop.

Mouthfeel - It's a wheat beer so don't make it more than it can be. Thin but crisp and very palate-cleansing. Very light on the tongue while at the same time not just a passing fancy. There is some body here.

Drinkability - I have five more, I'm sure I'll find good use for these. All in all, a very fine offering for not only the hop-minded, but also those who are willing to explore something beyond just the malt-minded brews.

Nesued, Oct 12, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a cloudy gold with thick 2 1/2 inch head that reduces to a thin sticky foam than laces wonderfully down the pint. Strong wheat and red grapefruit smell. Tastes like it smells, chewy wheat and suble grapefruit. It does not make your mouth pucker with sourness, but leaves a good fruity aftertaste. Mouthfeel is good, carbonation is just right, glides over the tounge and leaves you feeling refreshed. Definately a thirsty drinkers beer. It makes me wish that Three Floyds will come back to Wisconsin.

Homerbag, Oct 10, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden pour with tremendous white foamy head. Aroma is grapefruit and Amarillo hops. Flavor is very hoppy and citrusy. Mouthfeel is good and this is a very sessionable beer. This is one of the best wheat beers I’ve had. I wish this was available in Mississippi.

biggmike, Oct 04, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

12oz bottle received via I Want That BIF 3 from ClockworkOrange. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, forming a big ole 3" white head over the clear light golden brew. Forthy head fades ever so slowly, with lots of sticky lacing. Aroma is citrus and wheat. Taste imitates the nose, balanced between lemony bite and chewy wheat. Mouthfeel is smooth with the expected citrus bite, and drinking is very high. An enjoyable brew, but not as nice as I remember it being in the 22oz bottle a few years ago.

ppoitras, Oct 04, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a pale cloudy yellow color with a white head. Aromas that are citrusy and hoppy. In the taste, a dry wheaty taste and also, it is hoppy smooth. A smooth, dry mouthfeel and a dry hoppy aftertaste. A different wheat, with big hops. I enjoy the smooth dryness and again, anything with a nice hop presence is always good.

OWSLEY069, Oct 03, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

22 ounce bottle from Walnut Liquorette for $10.99

Too bad this is only a summer seasonal, but glad to find this bottle here

Hard beer to get in California, enjoyed this tonight while watching a movie and relaxing

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter

Color was a golden color with a nice red tint

The head was about 1/2 inch thick, but disappeared fast

Some lacing stuck to the glass the entire way through drinking

Sipped on this for about an hour and fifteen minutes

Smell was super dry, but amazing filled with amber

Taste was amazing and the smoothest wheat beer I have ever had

This has tons of amarillo hops and they provide a great bitter taste

Could have drank three bombers of this if I had them, taste was so good and did not seem to go away

Look forward to having more of this in the future

Very highly recommended

Floydster, Sep 22, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Served at the brewpub. They also have great fries.

A nice light golden color with a white head. It was crystal clear, which I'm not used to in a wheat beer. There was a very citrusy hop aroma with grapefruit shoving it's way to the front. The flavor is much the same. The citrus pushes it's way to the front but the slightly heavier wheat flavor emerges a bit later and balances very nicely. The wheat doesn't weight the beer down though and it still remains very light bodied. All around a great summer drinker.

drseamus, Sep 21, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Two inch head fell pretty quickly, may have been a bad pour or something??? Regardless, a film stays atop of the beer throughout the entire glass, coating the sides in thick chunks of lace. As for body, sort of an amber, very clear and somehow very enticing, though I'm having trouble putting why into words.

When I read "wheat beer" on the bottle, I thought I was in for a much different beer than I got. I have to say I was so pleasantly surprised too. I've been drinking a lot of wheat beers over the summer and I feel just about due for a rich, juicy assault of hops. I smell juicy, grapefruit-infested hops right out of the bottle, even with the glass a couple of feet away, the scent finds you. There are other sweet, malty characteristics to the aroma too.

Wow. I couldn't have expected this taste to be so well-rounded. I figured I was in for some wheat flavor, and I knew there had to be heavy hops, so I didn't know what was coming. My first instinct is to pay note to the wheaty base, very calming and smooth. This moves into the hops, they kind of come through toward the back of the tongue. Grapefruit and lemon are key in the flavor, pine coming through a bit and an almost rosemary-like taste.

Overall, sweet and refreshing. Very crisp flavors.This is exactly what I needed to drink. There isn't much for carbonation, and the body is moderately heavy. I'm going to be getting some more of this down the road. I wish it was available in my area, it'd be a terrific session beer IMO.

dogger6253, Sep 21, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Trade prize. I traded a Sixpoint Bolshoi for this and it rocked the little beer tasting we assembled last night. After a slight chill, it poured well into the fancy Sam Adams' glasses with a medium to small head which dispensed a gloriously hoppy aroma upon me. It came across more like an IPA as I went for the first taste and then the taste exploded in multitude of flavors that reminded me of places I had been and luxurious dinners in France. The flowing nature of the ale made it exceptionally easy to drink slowly and enjoy the contents. Oddly, the vibrant and hoppy elements in the aroma didn't translate into the taste, though the hops were present, they were not overwhelming-a good thing too.

Of course, I wondered what this might be like on tap or even with divine intervention, from a cask.

bonbright7, Sep 20, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Cloudy orange with a good amount of white head that turns to a thin foam as you drink.

Smell: Lemon, wheat, a bit of grass as well. Perhaps a slight bit of hops as well.

Taste: Much like the nose. Very good wheat with lemon and cirtus flavors. Finish brings a clean hop taste that linger for a few seconds after you swallow.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Good carbonation level. Leaves a good clean refreshing feeling in your mouth.

Drinkability: Very high. Tasy, smooth, refreshing. What more could you want. Very good beer that I'm glad I was able to try while it was still warm out. Could do a few of these in a row, which I find myself unable to say about some of my favorites, which are too big to do several of.

hellcatsjg, Sep 14, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Comic Book Guy Says, "Best. Wheat beer. Ever."

A--The head is puffy but not cloyingly dense or creamy...individiual tiny bubbles don't get subsumed in a big marshmellowy clump, as in some beers, yet the head rises a fair bit after the poor and remains even after the beer is half gone...

T&D...which won't take long, because this beer is oh so good. Grain tastes surge to the forefront--why don't more brewers use this magic red wheat stuff, which the GBH bottle lists as an ingredient?--and the citrus tastes that overwhelm many pale wheat beers are here nicely blended and balanced.

The mouthfeel is so luscious yet not viscous or oily...two traits that would overwhelm the subtle flavors of the beer.

I only bought one bottle (why? why? why?), so I expect that there are other flavors here to be found and enjoyed. For a wheat beer, it's fairly complex, but it's also light enough and straightforward enough to go down easily.

GnomeKing, Sep 13, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Dark orange color, lots of bubbles flowing up. Fluffy white head, rocky and fizzy at first but still retains well at a half inch. Very good lacing.

S - Strong hop aroma, very sweet but also spicy. A very present earthy wheat, sugary with a nice citrus aroma.

T/M - Starts with a lemony hoppy bitterness with a good sharp carbonation bite. A spicy, somewhat earthy, wheaty flavor comes in, then another wave of hoppy citrus. The finish leaves a lemony sweetness with a good hoppy bitterness.

D - Exceptionally drinkable at 4.8% abv., wonderfully complex tastes, sweet and refreshing. This is an excellent beer to have in the summer, or anytime. I'm glad I found this.

umustdrink, Sep 13, 2007

Thanks to JAYW for this brew.

Pours a clear/clean golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice huge two finger plus creamy/foamy white head, which then leaves some nice sticky lacing. The nose is malty, slightly hoppy, some spices, yeast, grassy, and slight caramel. The taste is nice, malty/hoppy, yeasty/grassy, slight spice, and some caramel. The finish is slightly dry and slightly bitter. Medium body. Drinkable, I'm glad I finally got a chance to try this one out.

Wasatch, Sep 13, 2007

Found at a local store that used to have little to no craft beer. Walked in there yesterday and about fell over! But that's for the BeerSpy report!

Poured into my new favorite Sam Adams glass, Gumballhead is vibrant gold with hints of orange. I think maize seems to be a fitting descriptor. Expected wheat induced haze only adds to the appearance. Little particles do swim around in the glass, but that's not always a bad thing. Light white head dissipates very quickly to almost nothing. Smells great! Hop nose is floral and seems to be perfect for the wheaty malt character. Tastes like I wish every wheat beer would taste. The wheats I have tasted seem to miss the hop character that FFF's has found with this beer. Of course, it is FFF's we're talking about here! Mouthfeel is hard to nail down. Seems a little watery, but at the same time I get the cloying feeling that most wheats leave on my tongue. This is an extremely drinkable beer and I don't think that these 6 are going to make it 24 hours in my fridge! Perfect Summer refreshment. And Spring... And Fall.

beergynt, Sep 10, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to Initiative for this one! This is the first ever Three Floyds brew I'm drinking, and I'm looking forward to the other Gumballhead bottle I have, as well as the Dreadnaught and Fantabulous he hooked me up with.

A: Pours a slightly hazy holden color with a half-finger of foam. Light lacing on the glass.

S: Upon opening the bottle, you're greeted with a nice refreshing hops smell - citric, clean, fruitiness and yes a little bit of gumball-like smell from which I assume the beer takes its name.

T: Damn, that is a tasty beer! Sipping it reveals a nice wheat/malt flavor that's ripe with a fresh hop taste - citric fruits abound creating a nice balance while still giving it a nice hint of bitterness.

M: This is smooth and very good for a wheat beer. Decent carbonation really makes it feel nice.

D: I wish I could buy this out here in MA! I'm not a huge wheat beer fan to begin with, but they did a damn nice job with this one. The hoppiness adds a great element you don't see in a lot of wheat beers, yet it remains nicely balanced.

YonderWanderer, Sep 08, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

This was poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams glass. It has a clear golden color with a modest head that settles fast. It has a very hoppy aroma with hints of fruitiness, but dominated by the hops. The taste is strongly hoppy, but not bitter, and slightly fruity like the aroma. It has a medium-light body with moderately high carbonation.

Overall, this is a decent, drinkable beer, but it's not really what I would expect at all from a wheat beer. While I can admire the boldness of the extreme hopping of a typically neutral style, when I go for wheat beer I don't necessarily want all the hops. Three Floyds has plenty of other offerings that are fantastic (i.e. Alpha King) when I want a hoppy beer.

Oh, the artwork on the bottle and more so on the 6 pack is strangely awesome.

scoobybrew, Sep 08, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle with no freshness taste. I really enjoy the art work on this bottle as well as the others from this brewery.
pours a golden to orange with a slight haze. Their is a small, sustained white head.
The smell of hops almost explodes from the bottle when uncapped. I do not recall smelling such a hoppy, fresh smelling beer like this one. The smell is of citric tropical fruits.
This tropical fruit smell is also evident in the taste. The taste almost reminds me of a tropical mixed drink with the orange and lemon flavor. There is very little malt flavor. This tastes like a highly hopped, flavored witbier. This is the most unique interpretation of an American Wheat beer I have tasted. I would not say this is my favorite style of beer, but I am glad I finally had the opportunity to try it. Due to the high acidity, I am not sure I would enjoy more than a couple at a time.

jkrich, Sep 07, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

Hazy orange appearamce with a lot of yeast residue floating in the glass
Smelled pretty good. Hoppy and malty
Taste: Hops, malt, crisp wheat taste
Mouthfeel was pretty decent. Crisp and smooth with a nice hop bite
Drinkability was ok. Not great, but pretty damn good for a normally bland style

bradford, Sep 02, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Presentation: 12oz bottle in a Weizen glass

BAside: thanks to a friend & fellow BA for the opportunity to enjoy this!

Poured with some energy, gurgling & snappy. Fantastic citrus nose, crazy full of ripe grapefruit & rind, some pineapple, dull lemon, with echoes of pine sap. Faint straw, old hay & even some ocean air add a floor for this citric party to dance on. With a little air the aroma sweetens, growing more floral. The head, a fat 2 finger's worth of thick, tight, sculpted antique white foam, has great retention and is well over a finger's worth of the same after a nice interlude. Lacing is sporadic at best. It resides overtop a slightly hazy, pale lemon yellow body with a cascade of bubbles rising slowly thru it....a treat for eyes & nose.

Crisp, clean, nicely dry, bursting with citric hops that are almost sharp to the tongue but yet oh so refreshing. My mouth is alive with grapefruit rind, traces of lemon, dull pine, all coming together in what could best be described as a icy hot explosion of taste & mouthfeel over a soft wheat base....just great!

I find myself slowing down and savoring, sipping, very, very atypical for a beer with less than 5% ABV. I enjoy beers that set a leisurely pace, but I'm not used to taste this big in a beer this "small", if you know what I mean.

The citric hops grow sharper in feel yet rounder in taste, more bittersweet on the palate as that crunchy mouthfeel intensifies the dryness with a straw quality. It finishes warmer, thicker with faint leather, yet clean and not filmy or coating, just a great, refreshing vitality as a echo. I am actually sad to see the last mouthful go.

Gumballhead is all the hype. Probably the best tasting & most enjoyable sub 5% beer I've ever had, and definitely one of the Top 20 beers I've enjoyed....period. A true testament to the potential that low ABV beers can have. This would be great with Thai food, Pacific Rim, a crisp salad, whitefish or chicken with citrus, and any zesty, lighter fare. Very impressed. Would drink this again in a heartbeat, and would highly recommend it to anyone....an outstanding beer by any standard!

BuckSpin, Sep 02, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This brew pours a hazy orange color. The head is large, billowy, and recedes slowly into thick lacing. The aroma is of citrus, banana, clove, and wheat. The taste has more wheat, and clove than the aroma, with only a touch of citrus. There is a slight bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is perfect for a wheat beer. It is meiudm bodied, with high carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is one of the best American wheat beers I have had. I would like to drink this more often.

KarlHungus, Sep 01, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a hazy light orange with a decent head that diminishes to a ring. The aroma is of sweet malts, bubblegum, sweet fruits and a hint of wheat. The taste is dominated by sweet fruits and bubblegum. The beer is relatively light bodied, but not as much as I'd expect for the style and strength of the beer. Overall, this is an enjoyable beer, but considering I'm not really a huge fan of the style, I wouldn't regularly shell out $5.99 a bomber for it if it were available in my area.

atsprings, Aug 30, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

On draft at the Comet. I do believe that I have found a new summertime favorite beer. A nice wheat with the patented Three Floyds twist. It poured a nice light golden color with a short lived small head. Smell is wheat, hops, and a hint of slight lemon. Taste is much the same, except with the presence of some well placed hops. Mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing, with just enough hop bitterness to it. A very crisp, well balanced beer.

FtownThrowDown, Aug 30, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I think I've found my favorite summer lawnmower beer.
22 oz out of a case , poured into pint glass. Cloudy with golden hue , nice rocky head , some lacing.

Smell is a nice citrus with a faint caramel.

This beer has a nice sharp almost lemonade bite that fades nicely to a small malt profile.

Mouthfeel is thin, crisp, nicely carbonated.

Drinkability of of this light beer is exceptional, the price may keep it out of reach more than the taste.

shroompod, Aug 28, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

22 oz. bomber, bought at the Lone Hill Liquors in Glendora, CA, this is summer, so I have a good feeling that this a pretty fresh bottle, have been wanting to try this for a long time, poured into a hefeweizen glass,

A: Pours a cloudy, straw yellow, not as cloudy as a hefe, with a medium, white head, but leaves excellent Belgian lacing.

S: Smells of fragrant, piney, grapefruity hops, with some grain notes and bubblegum.

T: The hoppiest wheat beer that I have ever had, great grapefruit and floral notes, almost tastes of wildflower honey, with some bubblegum, but the hops dominate.

M: Quite light, smooth, and refreshing, with scrubbing bubbles from the carbonation.

D: A great wheat beer, probably the best American wheat beer that I have ever had, probably not worth $10 a bomber, but would definitely seek it out again if I were in a part of the country where it is normally distributed, a great summer refresher.

Halcyondays, Aug 21, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

One of my favorite beers, and easily my favorite summer beers...

This year's is courtesy of Hero27... thank you!

12 oz. bottle pours a gushing, foamy white head that retreats to a firm layer of white foam that takes approximately forever to dissipate.

The beer itself is a gorgeous pale straw with just a hint of cloudiness.

Smells strongly citric, maybe even a touch floral. A hint of flour?

Light, crisp, refreshing... superb. Where a traditional hefeweizen's yeast gives that beer its character, here it is hops (specifically, the Amarillo hop), which is really something that more makers of bland, simple, American Wheats should be considering... Just a hint of pale malty sweetness up front that is overwhelmed by a pleasant, sharp, but short citric bitterness... grapefruit and rose petals there. Incredibly clean for all the flavor, and nothing that sits heavy on the palatte.

Beer is crisply carbonated, which works for me.

If drinkability is a measure of my desire for this beer... 5 might not be high enough. Not incredibly true to style, not as brilliantly complex and flavorful as lots of other beers, not so over-the-top with hops as to replace ones craving for a solid APA or IPA, but an excellent example of how hop-forward beers can be sessionable, and how hop-forward needn't always be a trait of only a select few styles.

Bravo.