Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,998 | Reviews: 1,469
3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

poured into a pint glass,this beer is a hazy golden color with a nice head that leaves a good amount of llacing.smell is fresh cut grass and lemon with a little bit of earthiness to it.taste is floral hop bitterness with a slightly tart wheat flavor.finishes very crisp and clean.mouthfeel is slightly effervescent from the bottle conditioning i presume and light.

overall,a really nice summer beer.would make a great session beer.it sucks that i have to go to indiana to buy this.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Gumballhead pours a light gold or straw color with an inch of stark white head thats bubbly and thick and sticks to the inner walls of the glass with sincerity.

The aroma is very hoppy, not at all like a cat who smokes. Its a nice citrusy fresh smell and it makes it really hard to take several whiffs of this without diving in. Okay, screw it. It smells good ok!

Ahh, the first sip. Very smooth, lots of citrus from those amarillo hops and a very clean finish. Simple yet defined and delicious. Well worth the wait!

This is as good as an American wheat beer as your going to find, especially if you like a nice fresh hoppy wheat beer. I know I do. Its almost like summer is made for these beers or vice versa I guess.

Thanks to heliosphann for sending me my first bottle of Gumballhead! Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

I drank this in a pint glass from a tap.

The beer is a dark gold yellow with a light white head. There is decent but minimal lacing.

There is a not a strong aroma coming from the beer but you detect slight smells of citrus and flowers.

After the smell I wasn't expecting much, but boy was I wrong.

The taste is great, its lkight but sweet with a very subtle bubblegum finish.

This is a great summer sessional beer that I could drink all night a long.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a rich golden colour. Opaque and murky. Lots of yeast and some floaty sediment thingys. Moderate head, with nice lacing. The head stuck around for half the beer. Very hoppy aroma, high notes of citrus. Tastes of yummy hops and lemon hangings around for a little bit. Very tasty. Perfectly carbonated. Bites to the end. I could drink this all afternoon.

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - dark, cloudy yellow with a pretty small head

S - for an American wheat ale this smells ridiculously good. Wheat, lemon, and some grapefruit / citrus hops. Almost smells like an IPA, not a APWA.

T - some wheat and citrus give way to piney hops on the finish. Nothing overly complex but it is delicious.

M - full and extremely smooth.

D - great summer beer. Has the lightness of a wheat ale with a hop kick to it...very delicious. I just wish I had regular access to this brew.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A very nice pour. tight little head gives way to a hazy golden body.

smells very citrusy not quite ipa style though. Herbal and spicy smells to boot.

hmmm the taste is very interesting. very spicy, but also a little citrusy
not bitter or bold like an IPA.

very light with a good bit of carbonation. a very good summer brew. unique, but nothing that blew me away.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

I finally got to enjoy this beer this weekend at Murphy's outside Wrigley. A fresh keg to boot. I talked my whole group into getting one so we could "talk about it" It poured a bit more yellow then I anticipated but I'm not a stickler on color. I got a slight fruity aroma with lemon and pine needles. The head was intense and lasted for the first couple sips. The flavor was very earthy with hints of grass and plenty of lemon. Not as sweet as some wheats I've had but still nice. The carbonation was present with a nice bite on the wash down. I had a few more after my initial so I can say this beer has a great drinkabilty.

Draft. A darker yellow pour, some white head. Smell is quite floral, citrus, banana and pine. Good carbonation to off set the sticky nature of a wheat beer. Taste matches the aroma, a constant battle of sweet wheat malt, fruits and hops. The over hops for a wheat make this pleasant and drinkable. One of the different/better wheat brews I've had.

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a golden straw color with a nice thick off white head. Has a large 2-3 finger head that lowered to about a finger quickly and had noticeable lacing. Aroma has a nice hoppy citrus smell with a little lemon and grapefruit. The aroma is one of the most impressive qualities of this beer as it lingers the entire time it's drank. Tastes clean and balanced, not malty and has a slight bitterness. I would drink this everyday. Would love to homebrew a clone to keep around the house during the summer. If you couldn't decide between a nice moderately hoppy pale ale or a good wheat beer, this is definitely the beer for you.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

on tap @ 3F

Pours a hazy straw yellow color, with a massive white head. Leaves beautiful lacing from the wispy pillowy foam that floats on top, a very nice looking beer. The smell is almost pure amarillo hops, pure, raw and delicious really. I mean, there's a bit of grassiness, a kind of skunkiness, maybe some tartness - very leafy and floral. There is also a hint of pale malt and wheat sweetness. This smells as advertised, though if you were expected a wheat beer, you would be thrown off. The taste isn't quite as floral or leafy as the smell, there's not a lot of bitterness, which is good, not too much on the resin front, but the taste is of tart cherries, oranges, grapefruit, though lacking acerbic rind taste. The malts kind of provide a kind of fruit soda taste, like berries or plums, but the balance is actually quite nice. There is just a hint of some leafy, grassy hops, which is nice in some applications, but I'm not sure I wanted here. Good mouthfeel, light and crisp, a nice bite of carbonation, and the wheat provides just enough body, when combined with the resinous hops, to make this a very pleasant delivery. This beer drinks very well, and is very enjoyable. The relatively low ABV is nice in the afternoon, and this is one I could stick with for a while. It drinks very well right through the middle, and except for the tiny bit of overdone grassiness in the finish, an excellent beer. A beer that you must try out of novelty at least.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured to about a 1 inch head. Had some nice big bubbles. Head was slightly offwhite in color. Beer was a cloudy yellow. Head didnt hand around very long, but left some lacing with every drink. Smelled of grapefruit, piney hops, very citrusy. Smelled good. Had a stong citrus grapefruit flavor. Also that pine flavor going on. Slightly sweet. Maybe a hair bitter aftertaste. Felt good in the mouth. Carbonation was about right. At 4.8 alcohol, you could make this a good session beer. FFF makes some good stuff.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a hazy copper with a thin white head. Lacing is leaving thick bands on my glass.

Smell is very amarillo dominated. I thought for a second that I was sticking my face in a box of Fruity Pebbles, mmmm.

And the taste, holy crap is that stuff good. It's hop heavy with just tons of sweet smooth amarillos, but the balance is there most definitely. Citrus flavors move in and out on the tongue at different times.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and that sets it head and shoulders above all the other American wheat beers.

Drinkability is insane, one bottle was not enough, it is so good I and low abv and smoothness makes me just want to drink this all afternoon on the back porch. Summer beer of the year this year for sure!

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle (no freshness) into the ol' SN pint glass...I've had this homegrown brew many times in the summer and finally felt that it was time to review it...

Slightly hazy straw colored body with a bubbly and rocky four finger head that has some excellent sticky lacing. A sexy looking summer beer.

Loads of spicy hops and citrus notes. Massives hits of...wait for it...pineapple goodness. Very spicy and citrusy. So damn good...

ALmost like a beery pineapple juice...mild hops with a slightly bitter finish. A solid citrusy sweetness throughout.

Only downfall...low on carbonation with an oiliness in the finish that could use some work.

Can drink the piss out of this beer...

Very unique to the style...definitely not normal by any means. A great summer staple in Indiana, and if you are ever given the opportunity to have this on tap, take it. It's even better on tap.

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Another long day at the office. The boss was riding my ass in the morning, and my wife was riding my ass after lunch. Too much stress and too little alcohol pretty much sums up the day. I went out to my car at lunch and downed a bomber of Imperial Stout, and then put an entire pack of gum in my mouth to mask the alcohol. "I'm not an alcoholic," I keep telling myself, "I just enjoy craft beer. I'm a beeradvocate." After a couple hours I started getting anxious again. Another hour later, depression set in and my hand began twitching involuntarily. Symptoms of alcoholism? I don't think so, I'm just going through craft brew withdrawal. I just need one drink of craft brew. It's not the alcohol I like, it's the barrel aged complexity. "I would still drink it if it was devoid of alcohol," I tell myself. "I'm a beeradvocate, not an alcoholic." I was on my way home when the nausea and headache set in. "God damn it. I should have drank that magnum of barrel aged beer before I left work. What was I thinking? I can't go this long without craft brew!" When I got home, my craft brew withdrawal was more than I could bear. I opened the fridge and saw Gumballhead staring at me. Thank gods for craft brew. I pour the sweet nectar into my glass while my wife screams at me from the other room. "I just enjoy craft brew!" I tell her. "Please, honey, just let me enjoy my craft brew. I'm not an alcoholic," I say as I begin pouring the Gumballhead into my mouth, half of it spilling all over my face and freshly dry-cleaned suit. I just want to drift away to the land of craft beer, where there are no alcoholics, and drinking first thing in the morning is socially acceptable.

The beer appears straw golden and effervescent with a creamy white head. The retention is good and only a little lacing clings to the glass.

The aroma is floral with some grapefruit, lemon, and orange. I wasn't expecting a hop bouquet, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Some peppery spiciness is evident, as well as a tiny wheat malt backbone.

I'm greeted by citrus in the flavor: lemon and grapefruit. Some wheat is noticeable, and there's just a little sweetness. The bitterness is tame throughout, but is at a medium level in the finish. A little peppery spiciness is reminiscent of rye. The alcohol is nowhere to be found, but that's not surprising. For 4.8%, this beer packs a lot of flavor. The finish is wheat and citrus, leaving some lemon lingering on my palate.

The beer is light bodied with good carbonation

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A= pours a haz yellow golden color with a hint of amber in the middle. A small head rises out of it but lasts a little while with pretty nice lacing.
S= lotsa hops. Big citrus hop notes. Smells like someone already put a lemon or an orange in it. The citrus is then off set by a smooth sweet smelling wheat.
T= quite citrusy up font but taken over by the smooth semisweet wheat flavor. Somewhat grassy as well.
M= smooth as hell. Just a great wheaty mouth
D= extremely high. This is a very fine wheat beer and I would highly reccomend it to anyone.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Stumbled across a 6 pack while at a grocery store on my last trip to Chicago and knew it had gotten high marks, had to give it a try.
12 oz bottle, Poured hazy orange-peach colored. Yeast is added bottle conditioning, so obviously it will be cloudy. Shimmery, white head is solid and full, lots of lace strings.
Lots of tropical fruit smells, pineapple is most dominant, also sense some mango and citrus.
Great flavor, wheaty, fruity, and lots of hops.
Perfect summer-time beer, cool and refreshing. Light body, lemony citric finish. I could drink several of these, especially after a hard days work out in the sun.
This is very good wheat beer, with an extra kick of hoppiness.

Note to Self: Ranked #1 American Pale Wheat Ale
when I tried it.

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks Bob for the chance to give this one a go.

The first time around i was not impressed, perhaps i was expecting something different, so this is a refined edition after giving this beer a second chance. again, thanks for another bottle Bob.

A - this one poured out a cloudy golden color w/ about a half inch ivory head that stayed around for some time, and also provided some sexy lacing. this is possibly the best looking american wheat beer i've laid eyes on.

S - lemon, wet grass and wheat bread(duh) the hops give off a citrus and floral aroma. very interesting.

T - first sip imppression: heavy on the hops for a wheat(this is a good thing in my book) sweet caramel and wheat malts are battleing it out with the spicy hops. i absolutely love this combo, this beer is like an ipa brewed with wheat malt, as opposed to a "hopped up wheat"

Mf - tight lively and highly carbonated: this gives us a very crisp beer w/ a light body, that quenches w/ a passion!

D - exellent beer, great in the summer, but i could see myself drinking this one anytime really. (that is if 3floyd's showed Colorado more love, oh well)

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazed gold with a thin white film and just the slightest touch of lace. Lots and lots of amarillo in the nose. Very hoppy flavour for an american pale wheat, and again the amarillo dominate with a great fruitiness and sweet biscuit malt. Body is good - fairly light, but that's expected and it does help contribute to a refreshing and exceptionally drinkable beer.

Cheers Bry!

3.74/5  rDev -11.2%

This was an extra from d0b. My first trader and he really hooked me up. Thanks buddy. This was my first beer back after a horrible, horrible week.

I love the wackiness of the FFF labels. A perfect combination of playfulness, cubism and early '90's day glow.

Bottle undated. This was poured vigorously and did little. Barely any head formed and was shy to come back with some hearty swirling of the glass. Clear as day with a nice orange hued bronze color. With the slightest bit of husk particles clinging to the bottom of the head. A bit disappointing in this department. But looks aren't everything.

A bit different aromatically for a wheat beer. You really get more hops (Amarillo) than the grainy, banana, clove and estery notes you'd associate with a wheat beer. I like it but it caught me a bit off guard at first. The gets deeper and the dried fruitiness of the Amarillo hops really comes on strong as this warms.

On the palate this seems a bit light, transparent and ghost-ish. A kind of now you taste it now you don't beer. With all the hops in the nose you'd expect a carryover but they are barely there. With the wheat you'd expect the citrusy, grainy goodness, but alas there is little. The light lemon, rolled oat and cinnamon sugar spice is nice enough but very short of amazing.

I like the low carbonation and the broad feel to this beer. It lingers. It grows sip after sip, those light flavors grow and grow. And the brightness at the edges of the mouth is a nice touch.

Overall I think this may be a less than fresh bottle given the mildness of the Amarillo hops which I typically find to be very agressive when present and young. Why do people still not date the bottles they produce? Can't figure it out.

Bottom line not an "Extreme" beer but a well crafted one and one I would truly enjoy putting down a 6pk at a time. With the <5% ABV this also won't put a huge hurt on ya. Summer time fun!

Thanks again Dave for the great trade and the great beers. You are a champ!

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

A Summer Standard
___

A: Lovely slightly cloudy goldenrod with a fairly persistent white one finger head.

S: A load of tropical fruit, mostly mango, along with a solid measure of bitter hops... quite a bouquet.

T: The reverse of the nose... the hops take the driver's seat, while the fruit rides in the back. A bit of sweet malt lies bound in the trunk.

M: Light but not trivial... a hair grainy.

D: Limitless.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Picked this up at a liquor store in Chicago. Hard to find. I heard they are having trouble making enough of it, so it peaked my interest.

Poured 12oz. bottle it into my Duvel Apero glass.

A. Golden pale color, some sentiment visible. Unique appearance for a wheat beer. I was expecting a cloudy, Hefe theme, this was a refreshing change.

Aroma of hops. Lots and lots of Amarillo I imagine.

Mouth feel is soft and flavor of hops. I don't think I have ever had hoppier wheat.

Finishes smooth with some bitterness. Sweet and sour notes with hints of honey.

Overall I found this to be a very interesting beer. Original and inventive. I figure the funky package has helped with the success of the beer. Hipsters probably gravitate towards the cartoon character smoking a cigarette on the label. Nice beer, good for a session or two.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Bell's pint glass. Trade from gorby10826 (Thanks, Mike!)

A: Pours a clear straw yellow, more clear than I see in a lot of wheat beers. An unbelievably thick and fluffy head that, once it dissipated, left a nice layer of sticky lacing all over the inside of the glass.

S: Very floral almost to the point of perfume. My wife even commented that it smelled like some of her wine (not that she'd drink this, though!). Citrus and honey present in the aroma, more so than the wheat.

T: This is what I think a wheat beer should taste like. Clean and crisp, just enough hops, and it puts you in the immediate mindset of summertime. Slight grapefruit taste that lingers just the least little bit.

M: Nice balance with the carbonation. Very light feel to it, which is a nice compliment to the taste.

D: Very easy to drink. If I could get this where I live, I'd have it almost every day. Stupid PA.

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

It looks like a wheat beer--a nice blend of yellow and brown--with a paradoxical type of muddy clarity. A nice, thin film retains itself impressively for the head on a wheat beer. Nothing pourous and bubbly like an obnoxiously carbonated beverage, but a thin, respectable head with a retentive quality. Swirling the beer in my glass provides for impressive lacing. This strikes me as uniquely bold-looking wheat beer.

Wow--the smell is surprisingly pleasant and pleasantly poignant. I smell hops in this here wheat beer. It's also appealing like the smell of a fruit. Can I really smell peaches and cherries? Strawberries? I often scoff at ridiculously detailed aroma descriptions that indicate the presence of an ingredient cornucopia; I feel like the smell on this one, however, is overloaded. I don't know how it could smell more alluring. It smells like a friggin' orchard!

My initial taste is more a carbonation sensation than anything else. I can't believe I don't taste more than this. It's a stark contrast to what I felt was only a feeble attempt to smell all the flavor; instead, I find myself struggling to detect something distinctive. I taste maybe some lemon, and maybe some of the strawberry I earlier detected. The taste is okay, but after that smell, I can't help but be disappointed. It's astonishingly neutral like a (gasp!) Butt Light. It's better than that, but where is everything that makes this one smell like bubble gum? I've never experienced such a contrast. I guess it's better-than-average, but my main reaction to the taste is a letdown relative to my initial judgment.

As I continue trying to figure out what all was in that smell, I'm tasting grapefruit. This contributes to a mouthfeel of acidic carbonation. Unfortunately, it's reminiscent of soda. My very first Three Floyds beer, and I feel like I'm skydiving or something--I've jumped off a cliff. I'm more certain about the grapefruit, but less certain about the beer.

It's crazy drinkable. I've downed it pretty quick trying to understand it. It's a very neat beer and, as I come to terms with what this beer is, I'm very pleased with this Three Floyds selection. Many thanks to mynie for providing this selection. It's a really unique wheat beer. I may have gotten a little ahead of myself embracing the look and the smell, but it's undoubtedly an enjoyable beer.

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

A: Pale amber, with some dark chunks in it, what I am assuming is the yeast from bottle conditioning.. Nice white head.

S: Hops. Some grassy notes. What you would expect from a IPA, not from a wheat...

T: Mild hop flavor, with a nice grassy/ floral taste for the finish. Very nice, though a little watery, and hoppier than most wheats..

M: Crisp and Clean.

D: Pretty good, though I think this beer is way too hoppy for a wheat.. I appreciate the style, and creating something different, but if I wanted hops, I would get an IPA. ( and on a side note, not worth the hype.)

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Big thanks to woop woop for this one.

A: Poured a slightly hazy golden color with a finger of white head. Decent head retention and some lacing.

S: You can smell the gumball. You also get a nice amount of clean wheat. Really quite impressed how clean the wheat comes through.

T: Taste is very light but that is the point. Again the wheat really shines through. You do get a hint of the gum from the yeast. Really curious as to what they use.

M: Very light and refreshing. Perfect for a summer day.

D: Wish we could get this around here. This is a great warm weather drinker. With the low abv and high taste this has session written all over it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.