Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

I often go by this particular style because I figure the Germans do it better with their traditional Hefeweizens. Alas, Three Floyds usually tends to do something interesting so I am pumped to try this one. Pour is a nice bright gold, with a finger worth of white head. Smell is pungent in a good way. I get lots of wild flowers, grassy notes, and lots of lemon. Taste is more oriented towards the hops, which do show a nice mix of grapefruit, grass and spice. The wheat is not really that apparent, at least to my palate. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, and endlessly drinkable. This is a beautiful creation from Three Floyds. It totally did something different with the style. This would do the trick as a Summer thirst quencher. Cheers

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I received this bottle in a trade from alleykatking. Thanks Josh!
Poured into my pint glass.

When held up to the light, it has the color of a blonde ale or light lager but with a bit of yeast. This is the lightest colored wheat I've ever seen. A sticky 2 finger brilliant head results and stays around for quite some time.

Smells awesome. Intense citrusy hops, lemon zest, and a touch of husky wheat. One of the best aromas I've ever encountered.

A combination of sweet malts and husky wheat with a sharp, herbal hop presence. Follow through finishes with a bit of lemon zip.

Crisp, clean, hoppy bitterness. Refreshing.

Off the charts drinkability. This is what I would want lounging on the beach all day. Pass on the margaritas, give me a Gumballhead. Highly recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

One of my favorite wheats ever.
A - Pours a beautiful gold with a great white head towering over the brew. Lacing pursues the beer down the glass.
S - Nice hop presence, some grass, mixes nicely with the fresh wheat smell coming off this. Get a bit of lemon peel also.
T -Very very crisp here. The wheat clarifies the hop oils even more than in the nose. Very strong grass with citric bits coming through. Very clean.
M - Nice body here. Leaves mouth slightly dry, but still satisfied. Floats gently over the tongue.
D - This is one to kick back all day.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

I remember the first time I had this. You could only get it in a bomber and only during the spring/summer. Thank god things have changed!

A- Nice half inch head from a pour into my pint glass. Lacing doesn't seem to cling to the sides like the other times I have had it. Nice golden color with a little bit of haze in it.

S- This is how a beer of this style should smell. Nice fruity hoppy smell. Makes my mouth water for sure.

T- Very crisp and refreshing taste. I love the citrus undertones. Notice when sipping starts off like a unfiltered wheat but ends up with a IPA style finish with the hops.

M- Light and refreshing for the mouth. Clean hop aftertaste.

D- This beer is one of my favorite session beers by far. I could drink this by the case.

I don't know where I would be without Gumballhead. This stuff is like my candy. Plus I always enjoy looking at the 6 pack boxes. So colorful and for that alone it should get a couple extra brownie points.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Really enjoyed this offering from FFF. Thanks twelvsies for the tasting!

Like all of the beers from them I've tasted, it has a nice hop aroma. Hazy copper appearance with thin pillowy head. The wheat is balanced nicely with the sweet hop flavor. Very refreshing and drinkable. One of my favs from FFF so far.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

The second beer in a recent east-coast Three Floyds tasting. Another stellar brew. Haven't delved into the more high-octane stuff from FFF but so far I'm really impressed at how they are able to make such sessionable brews that are still really hoppy, and in not-so-popular styles too. This beer is a slightly hazed light golden. Zesty hops hit first and combine perfectly with tangy wheat base imparting an almost citrusy lemon flavor. Yeah, it says that right on the side of the bottle, but it's also true, it does have a lemony tang often associated with Hefes. So light and crisp, totally refreshing, plenty of hops. Interesting. My kind of beer for sure.

the famed beer from the famed brewery. poured into a pint glas.

pale golden yellow color with a white head that initially sits majestically, then fades to provide a decent lacing & covering.

nice pleasant hop scent right out front but hindered by the grassy, yeasty scents underneath.

mellow, hoppy flavor in the foreground. slightly tangy aspect to it. the wheaty, wet grass flavor is a part of it. balanced

slightly light texture and unassuming. a little sticky around the mouth.

pretty good for what it is, refreshing and light. a good balance between the wheat aspects and the hoppy aspect. balanced, if not spectacular.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Serving type- 12 ounce bottled poured into a pint glass, no freshness date.

A- Pours a pale, almost clearish straw yellow. Nice medium head with a good head retention and some carbonation activity present after the pour.

S- Hints of hops and some fruit notes. A nice combination of citrus and wheat?(I have a little bit of a cold some I am not 100% sure about that, but it would make sense)

T- Nice hoppy beginning that has hints of the tell tale citrusy flavors and finishes with a dry malty mixture. Very nice flavor that I was suprised with seeing the beer before I tasteed it. I thought it was going to be a weaker beer but thankfully it suprises you with its flavor.

Got this in a Educators BIF from bergands and am happy to have gotten this. To me this seems more like an IPA than American Pale Wheat Ale, but I diegress. Good all around beer that if available here would be on my rotating beer list.

3.57/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

If there is one positive of working in Indiana, it is getting access to some good beers I don't get at home. I had wanted to try Gumballhead for a while, mainly for the name, but whatever.

Pours a somewhat sickly yellow with a decent head. Smells of lemon and lime, some wheat, and a nice little floral aroma. it smells more of flowers than bubble gum to me, but I can see the resemblance. Some mild hops as well.

Taste is good if not noteworthy. A little liight up front, until the wheat kicks in. This is followed by a pleasant hoppyness, which reminds me of the CL Xtra tripel actually, only a much more mild version. There is a nice light lime finish.

Mouthfeel is really nice. Perfect carbonation and texture. Very drinkable,but I think more than 2 might start getting boring.

Solid stuff

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Acquired in a trade with alleykatking...thanks Josh!

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. No bottling info is given and no abv info is given.

A-As I begin pouring this into my snifter, the yeast used for the bottle conditioning is very apparent as it flows out of the botttle. The beer is a hazy straw yellow that has a 3/4 finger white head that dissolves into a frothy ring encompassing a frothy center. Yeasty critters float throught the glass.

S-Quickly hit with a nice citrus aroma from the Amarillo hops. Pick up wheat smell and also get notes of what an Alka Seltzer tablet gives off as it dissolves in water.

T-Get a really quick zip from the citrus hops followed by a really nice malty backbone.

M-Very crisp with nice carbonation that hits fast. Medium bodied and thicker than what I am used to for a wheat beer. Bitterness from the hops sticks around.

D-Low abv and great hop flavor makes this an incredible session beer.

This was my first 3F beer and I was very impressed to have a low abv beer that met my thirst for hops. This would be a staple in my house if it was available in CA. It would make a great keg beer for parties.

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Pours 1 1/2 fingers of frothy white head that dissipates pretty quickly but leaves a nice lacing. The beer is a clear, pale straw color with a good amount of carbonation bubbles.

S - The nose on this smells more like a hoppy pale ale than an American pale wheat. It smells strongly of sweet malts and citrus. Very inviting and impressive.

M - Light in body with a near perfect carbonation leaving a nice crisp taste.

T - Great flavor! Has all of the best characteristics of a summer wheat beer with a nice dose of citric hops and a nice light malt backbone. It finishes nice and clean. This is one flavorful, refreshing beer!

Excellent. Typically I'm not a huge fan of this style. While this style is usually extremely drink-able, there is usually just not enough flavor to keep me interested. This beer has a perfect blind of refreshment and taste to leave you craving another. It's a shame I can't buy this in my area, because this would be my go to session beer hands down.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this at a little spot in Chicago was on of my first Three Floyds Beer. It did not disappoint it poured a great golden color with a small head and noticeable carbonation.

The smell was good had a hoppy scent with some spice to follow.

The taste was good with hop and citrus flavors throughout. very light and quite refreshing. You can definitely tell this is a wheat ale though no doubt about that.

The mouthfeel was nice and smooth crisp and a little tingly.

This is a very drinkable beer with the low alcohol content and great for warm summer days when you dont want something to heavy i would highly recommend this beer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Tried this as Bierra Paradiso in DC. Greg the bar manager recommended it. Very interesting. Drinks more like and aggressive APA or lighter IPA. I have to say his description was spot on and I appreciated the recommendation.

Nice looking beer. Two fingers if thick head with lots of structure sit atop a nice golden clear beer. The beer was very bright and only had a touch of carbonation.

Aroma was floral and fresh. The first surprise. Light fruits as well.

Starts as a nice light beer with wheat tones, then you are hit with the fresh almost perfumy hops. Just the right balance...leaning a little hoppy. Which I like. Finishes clean and crisp still with the subtle hop bitterness hanging around in the background.

Bright, fresh mouth feel with a light body.

Extremely drinkable. I'd like to have this around this summer.

Good stuff.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a bottle into a glass (also drink it on tap at FFFs...A LOT!). This beer is gold in color with a nice creamy head. This is my all-time favorite session beer...no question about it. You can smell the hops and also nice notes of fruit as well. The taste? Well, it's out-freakin-standing...wheat/hops/fruit...just plain good. Overall, one of my favorite session beers...when I want something refreshing, this is what I drink.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz single purchased for me by a friend at Keg Liquors in Indiana. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip glass.

A: Pours a very clear straw gold color with a frothy white head that is about half a finger thick. It has good retention and nice lacing.

S: A very nice fruity hop aroma that is a departure for most of the examples of the style that I have had. It definitely makes me want to take a sip.

T: A nice wheat backbone is perfectly balanced with a nice fruity bitterness. I typically do not care for pale wheat ales, but this one is very very tasty. This is one beer where the reputation of a Pale Ale being the little sister of the IPA really rings true. What a wonderful hoppy (but not bitter) version of the style.

M: Nice and creamy smooth. It has a nice medium body which seems a bit thicker than many in the style.

D: This beer goes down extremely easy. I wish I had another bottle to drink.

I really like this beer. I can tell the score is going to be one of my highest. Its one of the few times that a true session beer has really kept my interest. If I lived in Indiana, I could see this being a staple beer in my fridge. That says a lot, because I have never had a staple beer in my fridge.

4.63/5  rDev +10%

A- poured into a pint glass from a wonderful 12 oz longneck with a sick label, is a lovely lighter amber with a little bit of head and good lacing

S- can def smell the Amarillo (spicy aggressive hop) ,a little bit of wheat
T- very good carbonation, kinda a hybrid between an pale ale a wibier, very interesting and wonderful
M- great carbonation, very smooth , a beer that I could drink all day
D- out of the park, i could drink 10 of these no problem, very low abv

another home run from quite possibly my favorite North American brewery that I cant buy ( and there arent many in phillly)

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Wheat pale, not much head, ring is left.

S - Wow. TONS of hops. I can't see my way through them.

T - Creamy little wheat invaded by hops. A new concept for me. I like.

M - On the light side, subdued wheat, crushing hops. Pretty cool.

D - In spite of the overbearing hops, a drinker, for sure.

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a hazy yellow gold into my Great Lakes Pint glass. The pour produces about a half a finger of white foamy head that quickly flattens into a layer, providing a lot of thin lacing.

Smells of citrus and hops. Lots of fruit in this one and more hops than I expected. The first whiff makes me want to dive into this one.

Tastes like smells. Nice hops taste on the front with a fruity finish.

Mouth feel is very clean and crisp. Medium carbonation.

This is an ever so drinkable brew. I knocked this one down and was wanting four or five more. I'll be working a trade for more of this one.

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - The beer pours a light slightly hazy gold, forming a 1/2 inch white head that quickly fades. Very light spots of lace on the glass.

S - Very strong grapefruit aroma created by the hops, with a very light wheat aroma in the mix.

T - Wow, strong grapefruit juice flavor coats the palate!! The flavor definitely comes from the hops. Light lemon flavor associated with the wheat in the finish. Tastes like alcoholic grapefruit juice but so much better.

M - Light bodied and very smooth finish which is a suprise due to the high hop profile of this beer.

D - Fantastic and very unique flavor IMO. Light bodied but not in the way of BMC brews. Low alcohol level plus great tastes equals a highly sessionable ale. I wish this was more widely available.

3.67/5  rDev -12.8%

Looks like a heady Swiller Light with the easily identifiable nose of a 3F beer, a sort of candyesque gummy bear quality. As 3F beers are hit or miss for me, I'm apprehensive. Upon tasting, this beer is more hit, which is surprising. I don't typically dig wheat beers, but this offering hits hoopy and candy-like, easy drinking, and slightly watery. Hesitant of a serious rochambo, I'll dub this sessionable.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from GbvDave- thanks!

Pours a slightly hazy straw color with a one inch white head. I had heard that FFF has a reputation for over-hopping all of their beers, and this one was no exception. A citrusy hoppy aroma was pleasantly apparent. Not too hoppy in the taste, but refreshing nonetheless. A slightly lemon like finish, which is helped by the relatively high carbonation. A sure winner in the hotter months for sure- very drinkable.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

I enjoyed this after a meeting at The Crane Alley in Urbana. Hazy blond body topped by two pillowy fingers of white head; nice durability and lacing. The smells are rich and lively--plenty of citrus, ample spice, definitely veering toward sweet. I get orange, tangerine, and peach with pepper and coriander--lovely.

After such a nose, anything less than an excellent taste would be a letdown. Thankfully, Gumballhead does NOT disappoint. It's very fruity yet not cloying or syrupy. Light and smooth, this is a terrific representative of the style. Its exquisite texture is reminiscent of German wheats such as Ayinger and Erdinger, though a bit fuller in flavor. Gumballhead compares quite favorably, which says a lot.

Gumballhead left me highly impressed. I figured this would be a good APWA. Not only was it great, it was also one of the very best offerings I've ever had from Three Floyds. Tremendous.

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to roadhouse

Appearance: Poured with 1 cm bubbly off white head that dissipated to a very thin rim around the top after 2 minutes leaving almost no lacing. The beer is a clear yellow golden color.

Smell: Very hoppy for a wheat, some nice fruity character from the wheat and hops combined.

Taste: Fresh hops up front, then some malty grainy taste, then sweet and fruity, with some fresh grassy resemblance, and a nice lightly roasted taste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light bodied, small tingle on the tongue from the hops, no alcohol sting. Very crisp feel in the mouth.

Overall: Very good and different wheat! Easy to drink, very refreshing. Very well balanced with no alcohol presence.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

If I hadn't read the label, I would have pegged this as a Pale Ale (wheat wouldn't have crossed my mind). Twelve ounce bottle from Binny's in Orland Park, IL.

Pours a clear golden color with a nice thick head and medium lacing. Smells fresh and fruity and hoppy -- strong bitterness without excessive piney-ness.

Tastes follows the nose -- well balanced bitterness to sweetness. In some ways, it reminds me of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but some of the details are different.

Feels light and good in the mouth. Extremely drinkable beer -- very refreshing, very tasty, very interesting. I could drink it all night long and be quite happy.

3.28/5  rDev -22.1%

Thanks to stfun37 for this 12oz beer. It smells very lemony just as the label states. Golden yellow with some fizz at the top. This has a very strange taste some lemon but also slightly fishy, what the hell? There is something very strange about this beer that I just don't quite get.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.