Join our email list →

Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

American Pale Wheat Ale | 5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,490 | Hads: 5,508
3.64/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Just had this one at a funeral wake of all places. My pastor had some and brought it. Funny thing is, I think I'm the one who picked it up for him the last time I was in Indiana, where he's originally from.

Drank from the bottle. Could tell it was a pale ale from the smell/taste. Didn't realize it was a wheat variant at first, although subconsciously I knew it from the name. A little thinner than I would expect from either a pale ale or a wheat ale. Still, a good, drinkable beer. Wish I could say more, but wasn't really prepared to take notes or inclined to think about it really hard. And then, as I said, straight from the bottle, so not much for looks or aroma. Would like to try again some time so I can update my review.

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

3.5/4.25/4.25/4.5/4.25
Served on tap at Mikkeller Bar Bangkok.
Malty soft nose with a generous dose fruit and hint of hop. The mouthfeel is smooth and sweet and really full, with pleasant mango hops and a clean, long candy finish.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Three Floyd's staple.... I'm very lucky to live in an area where I can find this almost anytime I want. If only I could say the same for it's cousin Zombie Dust.... But no complaints, this beer is amazing in its own right.

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle into a goblet. Pours a clear yellow/gold with a sticky 1 finger head of foam. Smells of sweet fruit - grapefruit, orange, citrus, lemon. Also a bit of pine scent. Light body, very easy to drink. Initial taste is hops, pine, citrus, raisins, and wheat. Lots of wheat. Lemon on the back end with wheat still lingering. Very smooth from start to finish.

When people say this is a session beer, they mean it. I was lucky enough to get a 6 pack of this, and as much as I would've loved to save it and enjoy it throughout the weekend...I have to admit, I blew through all six in an evening. It's delicious, amazing, and very easy to drink. I'd be buying this constantly if it were readily available.

4.43/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was one of the first beers that got me into craft. So amazing. Hoppy but not overly so. Great balance and bursts of flavor.The wheat shows but more towards an ipa. Really a fantastic representation of the style.

A: less than a finger of head, golden, hazy

S: sweet, fruity, citrus

T: smooth creamy hoppyness, fruity finish, expected more fruity taste to translate from the smell.

M: well carbonated

O: Enjoyable, taste varied week to week - drink fresh

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2/3 - Monk's Pub (Downtown Chicago). I had this draft beer at Monk's pub. The smell, taste and feel were very strong. Not a very strong beer by way of alcohol content, but I really enjoyed the flavor. I ordered a second and was very pleased with both beers.I highly recommend- Great Job 3 Floyds!!!

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle dated 010815 at 42 degrees into hand washed and dried weizen glass
Aroma citrus, predominantly lemon-like, faint
Head enormous (>8 cm, aggressive pour), off white, frothy, slowly diminishing to 4 mm ring and frothy island
Lacing good – curtains of tiny to medium bubbles
Body yellow, clear, effervescent
Flavor somewhat astringent, somewhat grainy like a lager; no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 5, Aroma 4, Flavor 4, Palate 4.5, Overall 4.25

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

At times is overrated around here, which is a shame..It gets built up to be just something its not. Its not earth shattering but it is a damn good beer

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not what I was expecting but still very good. Seems more of a wheat pale ale rather than a pale wheat ale (if that makes any sense at all). An instant favorite.

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

one of the best session beers i have ever had!! great taste a pleasent earthy wheat taste just right amount snap at the end from the hops..a very well ballanced beer. i love this brew. sampled on tap and 12oz bottles far to many times than i want to admit..

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I tried this recently in a pint glass that was poured fresh from a tap. For some reason it was significantly better than what I tried from bottles previously. I enjoyed this beer and would definitely recommend it.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Perfect. Nuff said. You can't find another beer at this level in this style. I have had a lot of different beers and none really get close to the quality of this beer. Makes sense why it is hard to find.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this beer. Picked it up expecting it to taste like most wheat beers, lacking any real sustenance. I could not have been more wrong. What a refreshing beer for me, but also for the industry that I think is lacking in experimental wheat brews. The Amarillo hops are very apparent and the after taste proves it.

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear light copper with a one finger soapy white head that fades to a thin cap leaving some splotchy lacing.

Aroma really jumps out and it amazingly juicy. Great mango/tropical fruit nose with some hints of bread. Really can't get much better than this.

The flavor is just as awesome as the aroma. There is more malt than I was expecting but it perfectly compliments the juiciness from the hops. Tropical fruit backed up by darkish great with a touch of spiciness that almost reminds me of rye. Body is lacking but it just helps make this beer even more sessionable.

Overall, does it live up to the hype? I'm not sure. This is an amazing beer but Lagunitas really gives them a run for the money with their Sumpin' line. Nonetheless a very good brew that every beer geek needs to try.

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A really interesting beer for me as it is not what I would consider a standard wheat beer. It has the same notes as a wheat as well as a beautiful hoppy punch at the end to ramp up the flavor profile. Really nice and deliciously drinkable!

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Clear golden color with minimal head. Modest lacing. Hoppy aroma but not overpowering. Smooth start with pine/hop/pepper presence at back end. Crisp and light mouthfeel. Overall an excellent session beer.

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on 11/29/14.

A- Pours a clear golden color with a good amount of white colored head that sticks around awhile.

S- Tons of citrus hops on the smell. I would think it's an IPA.

T- Citrus hops up front along with maybe some banana and clove. The hops really dominate to me and I think it drinks like and IPA.

M- Light bodied, high carbonation, a good food beer.

Can't say I've had any other American Pale Wheats, but GumballHead takes the cake.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

I was so excited to try this based on my inability to obtain this locally, and the reviews on BA. It was my favorite hoppy wheat, but didn't live up to the hype imho.

4.44/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's a summer day out on your back porch. If one of these is in a glass and 3 more are in your cooler you will be a happy camper. Hoppy for a wheat ale, which i personally love, with a great 3Floyds nose. I find that my non beer guests always enjoy this so it is a great party beer.

4.19/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - pours hazy golden straw good lacing
S - hoppy with grapefruit and orange zest
T - light sweetness followed by zesty citrus hops
M - super drinkable and balanced malt profile

Solid. best wheat beer I have ever had.

All session beers should aspire to be this! Great color and aroma, taste is smooth as can be. Pairs well with food of all types, I like it with pizza a lot!

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

This American Wheat is a fantastic summer beer, refreshing and easy to drink. The nose on this beer is amazing as are most Three Floyds beers...the Amarillo hops shine through both in the aroma and taste. This beer pours golden and slightly cloudy with a light fluffy white head. I don't review beers that suck and I won't start now, outstanding AW that is worth a try if you can get your hands on some.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L- light orange color with much carbonation. One finger head.
Smell citrus with piney hoppy smell.
T- more of a pale than wheat taste, however very crisp and clean taste with the hoppy bite.
F- piney hop throughout with definite citrus and wheat taste. This comes together quite nicely.
O- Seeing more of these types and I like it.

4.02/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a nice golden color with a small amount of cloudiness. head is no more than a finger and disappates very quickly with no visible lacing. Aroma is very hoppy and lemony. Taste is definately hop, grapefruit and a touch of well balanced sweetness. Flavor hits right up front and leaves very quickly mid swallow. Hardly any aftertaste or lingering hop bitterness. Carbonation is moderate and feels good on the palate. Expecting more but am very pleased with my first taste of FFF.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.