Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,461 | Hads: 5,267
3.14/5  rDev -25.8%

A- Pours a clear, pale straw color with a frothy white head that you expect from a wheat beer.
S- The nose is pretty much all hops, and Pacific Northwest hops at that. Notes of grapefruit rind and pine resin stand out with just a hint of honey sweetness in the background.
T- Much like it smells, a resiny hop flavor greets the palate as you take your first sip. For just a moment you get to taste the sweetness of the malted wheat, but that quickly gives way to a bitter finish reminiscent of citrus rind. A very clean beer; whatever estery/phenolic contributions the yeast brought to the party (maybe a smidgin of clove?) were completely overrun by the hops.
M- A tad thin, but what you'd expect from an American wheat.
D- Very sessionable at 4.8% ABV.

Overall: I should start out by noting that I'm not a big fan of American wheats (without some kind of yeast contribution--like a Hefeweizen--or spicing--like a Belgian Wit--they just seem kind of pointless), and I'm not a big IPA fan, so it's not surprising that I wouldn't like what's basically a scaled-down wheat IPA. That being said, I've given plenty of IPA's good reviews and my mediocre rating of this beer isn't the result of my personal preference. Rather I think this beer is too one-dimensional. If you want to make a hoppy wheat beer, go nuts. However, I think it needs a bit more malt body to stand up to the hops. If you're a hophead looking for a lawnmower beer, this is for you. But if you're looking for any semblance of balance or complexity, skip this one. (1,531 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%

The appearance is at first sort of off putting. It pours a fizzy filtered yellow with a white head that fades fast, but once you get to the smell you know its a whole different ballgame. It smells of strong citrus hops and a nice wheat sweetness. The taste is similar to the smell and its just perfect. A nice hop bitterness with a sweet wheat after taste. Its more like a plain pale ale but with an added wheat sweetness. This is an exceptional beer. The mouthfeel is sort of thin but its ever so drinkable. I wish I could get this all summer in Texas! (553 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a very crisp, clear orange-golden color with very little head and an extremely faint lacing on top. No date on the bottle though, so I'm not sure how fresh it is.

The smell is excellent, hops come rushing up to your nose. Definitely citrus notes present.

Wheat taste up front with some bitterness and spice taste briefly in the middle. Ending taste is of hops with a degree of sweetness to it as well.

Mouthfeel at the first taste is actually dry and light to medium bodied. Some sharpness is present but fades away leaving a crisp aftertaste.

This is the first time I've ever had gumballhead and I'm wishing I could get it here. The drinkability seems very high to me on this one and I'd like nothing more than to have a 6 pack of this on hand at the moment. (770 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip pint:

Appearance and Smell:Poured a pretty translucent yellow/orange with a thin white head which liked to cling to the glass a bit. A thin white film kind of just sat on top of the brew after the head dissipated. Plenty of carbonation present. Smelled of sweet pineapple, citrus, with a bit of toasty wheat, and yeasty scent present. Really appealing heavy fruit scent to this.

Taste and Mouthfeel:Pretty light bodied brew. Carbonation helped keep it from seeming to thin. Tasted of bitter-sweet grassy citrus, and a bit of very subtle lemon and bread. Really pleasant hoppy aftertaste to this, it was pretty sticky on the mouth. The taste and feel really underwhelmed me after smelling this thing.

Drinkability:This seems pretty close to an ideal summer sessionable beer. Definitely a beer you buy 6 of instead of a single. This beer smelled nothing short of great, and I loved how a thin head stuck around all the way down on this. I'd probably get another six of this sometime in the summer, overall i wouldn't go out of my way for this myself though. Just the extremely sweet scent made the subtle flavors pale in comparison a bit too much. (1,187 characters)

Wheat beer? I wouldn't have known. It might be the volume beer I've drunk so far tonight, but it's a good hoppy beer, but definitely not a wheat beer, at least compred to like a hefeweizen. .

It's a solid hoppy beer. I apologize for the ratebeer style brief review, but I give this a solid 4.0 (294 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into tulip.

A- Slightly hazy glowing golden with a small white head.

S- The Amarillo hops are the first thing that hits the nose. Slight bready wheat towards present as well as orange. It's not as in your face as a white IPA so I think it is true to style.

T- Hops are on the forefront follows the nose in that it's not a punch to the palate but more subtle, dry, dank hop. The finish is just a slight touch of red wheat with a little yeast and bread. It's a very well balanced and a slight dry finish.

M- Light to medium mouthfeel with low carbonation makes this extremely drinkable almost dangerously so. Not too sweet or bitter with hops and the wheat really is a nice touch to round it out.

O- I think this ale along with everything I have tried from FFF truly lives up to its reputation. There's just a comfortable dankness to their ales and this one is no different. I will definitely be drinking this when the temperature is getting up there this summer. Cheers. (998 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Three Floyd's staple.... I'm very lucky to live in an area where I can find this almost anytime I want. If only I could say the same for it's cousin Zombie Dust.... But no complaints, this beer is amazing in its own right. (223 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a golden amber, with little head. Looks like a beer in a commercial, that's not a bad thing. Smells of citrus and hops, not overpowering. Excellent. Has a little bit of hop bite up front, with the wheat coming in later, but coming in really strong. A hint of something citrusy...grapefruit maybe? At less than 5% ABV, this is one you can sip all day. I just might. (403 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13.2%

A- Poured a dirty golden glistening body with a thick, creamy head that still exists to this day.

S- Wonderful citrus hops. Pine, lemon, and grass-like notes. Hidden in the background is the wheat and malty sweetness.

T- Immediate burst of Amarillo hops. Wonderful grapefruit, lemon, and peach-like flavors swirl around the palate. Aftertaste consists of the sweeter malt and wheat. Very complex for a wheat.

M- Very creamy and smooth with perfect carbonation

I'd definitely return. (486 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Had on tap at Kumas corner served in a pint glass.

The color of this three floyd's concoction was a nice dark yellow that was pretty clear and had very little foam at the top.

The smell of this one is a wheat and hoppy smell with more wheat than hops. It also has a fruity grapefruit characteristic.

The taste of this one is a nice citric hop flavor, followed by a surge of grapefruit/orange sweetness that combines with a wheat flavor that has a semi Belgian character to it. The sweet wheat flavor fades nicely to a good fruit aftertaste.

The mouthfeel of this one is fairly light to me with a crisp carbonation that is pretty easy to drink. I enjoyed my fantastic burger paired with this as it was a refreshing pause from the bacon and onions.

Overall this beer on draft is insanely better than the bottles version, I could not believe it actually was better after hearing so from a few friends. I am glad I tried this one on draft it definitely opened my eyes to how good gum ball head actually can be. Sorry for doubting the glory of the gum ball head. (1,062 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Finally get to try this one, thanks justin for all the great three floyds beer.

Poured 12 oz bottle into a weisbeer glass. Poured straight down, which yielded 2 inches of foam cap that lasted a minute or so.

The appearance was okay, golden amber body that had some slight haziness, from the wheat.

Aroma is sweet and fruity from begining to end. Not overpowering in any way, every sniff is consistent, I detected ripe bananas the most.

The taste is good, for me the taste represented what I could smell. Mild touch of sweetness (banana, candy) followed by a good amount of bitterness for a pale ale. The sweetness and bitterness of this beer is balanced well, with good hop flavor thrown in as well.

Good mouthfeel, medium bodied, smooth, creamy, nice carbonation and just really refreshing.

The drinkability is exceptional. Perfect summer beer, I wish I could get this regularly. (887 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Well, it is pretty swell.

Appearance is mostly yellow with a medium-bubbled head that steadily shrinks but covers the surface. Excellent lacing.

Scent rocks. Definitely gummy. Some clove-ish nutmegishness. Exciting scent that I can't say I've encountered elsewhere.

Taste is also pretty unique; wonderful would be an understatement. Not generally a fan of wheat beers because of the sweetness and the unencumbered esters. There is practically nothing about the flavor of this beer that bothers me, which surprises me with a wheat.

Mouthfeel is very mellow without abandoning any desired presence. Doesn't leave any lingering cotton on the sides of the tongue that less refined wheat beers seem to do. (I realize many wheat beer fans might not want the style so clean - but I personally prefer this approach.)

In the interest of legitimating this review, I just tried Zombie Dust and found it slightly overrated (though certainly very good); this, on the other than, deserves the attention it gets. Anyway, believe the hype. (1,031 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Pours hazy cloudy straw color with minimal head and lace

S - Fruity hops, Citrus, other various fruits

T - Some bitter hops that are balanced by some sweet malt, also some fruit is evident

M - Light in body moderate carbonation

D - Leaves your mouth feeling clean with a slight bitterness on the tongue, I would prefer Hop Sun for price reasons, but still an awesome beer. (388 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance: From the bottle it poured pale golden and extremely clear, with a nice-sized big bubbly head that quickly dissipated. A steady but moderate stream of bubbles arose from the nucleation points in the Sensory glass. I value clarity but this almost looked like a plain-jane industrial lager.

Smell: A slightly resinous and bitter hop aroma balanced by a light sweetness, not too strong but present enough to warrant a mention.

Taste: The ale is light on the tongue and very clean, with not very much sweetness. The decent amount of hop bitterness and the CO2 levels deliver a bright crispness and bitterness, and a very slight biscuit flavor is revealed in the mid- to end-palate.

Mouthfeel: The slightly high levels of carbonation and bittering hops leave the palate feeling a bit buzzy with a bit of dryness. It's decidedly un-sticky but also a bit bracing and slightly spicy.

Drinkability: It's definitely a low ABV thirst-quencher, but to call it a true wheat beer, even an American wheat, is almost a stretch of the definition. It tastes more like some saaz-hopped pilsners or APAs I've had than anything else. While an unfair comparison due to the ABV, an American wheat like Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' blows it away while having many of the same features. (1,281 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Found a big bottle at Andersonville liquors.

The light golden/orange brew has a small sticky foamy head.

A very nice aroma of hops citrus and wheat is a nice blend that encourages you to take a big sip of this fine brew.

This is a fantastic beer with great flavors. Hops and wheat blend is very tasty. Nice citrus with oranges and light lemons. Moderate amount of bitterness at the end finishes of a great beer.

Moderate carbination, and refreshing light mouthfeel makes this a very drinkable and enjoyable treat from a great brewery.. get this one. (562 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

I may have found the perfect summer beer. Perfect for me, anyway, and anyone else who is a big fan of hops. It's ingenious, really. A hoppy wheat beer. Why didn't I think of this? I love my IPA's, but they're a little heavy for the summer months, so I tend to move towards wheats/hefes. This beer gives you the benefits of wheat...a little lighter, a little more crisp, but you get to keep the hops! I've taken off points of other beers for not being within style guidelines and think I need to be somewhat consistent or this score would be even higher. The IBU's on this one would certainly exceed the norm, but if you're going to stray from the guidelines do it on the side of hops as far as I'm concerned. Very well done! (724 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft, appears light golden with half finger of head.  Appears very carbonated, but dies quickly. Smells of fresh grass and pines.  Complimemted by amazing floral tastes. The hops are not overbearing in the least. Very smooth taste and mouthfeel. This would make a great session beer. Very impressive.  (308 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks to kickinthechalice for this awesome, awesome beer... would honestly drink it everyday if I could actually get my hands on it! (So maybe it's better that I can't.... lol)

Appearance: Yellowish straw color, cloudy with a very thin white head that dissipates quickly. Kind of looks like a Bud regular actually, haha...

Aroma: Smells great. Pineapple right up front , along with some tropical and citrusy hops. There are piney hops in the back, but they are much less pronounced than the fruity tropical hops in the front. I can smell a tiny bit of wheat, but the aroma is definitely dominated by that great pineappley hoppy goodness.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Pineapple mixed with pine, nice slightly bitter hoppy bite and some kind of toasted wheat to balance it out. This is really good, kind of reminds me of Ale Asylum Bedlam! which I absolutely love. The mouthfeel is thin and nicely carbonated - I think it fits the style well. Overall, this is a great tasting and feeling beer.

Notes: Drinkability is definitely good. I could drink several of these, I only wish that I had that many to enjoy! For everyone who can get their hands on Gumballhead on a regular basis.... I am extremely jealous of you! (1,206 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's a summer day out on your back porch. If one of these is in a glass and 3 more are in your cooler you will be a happy camper. Hoppy for a wheat ale, which i personally love, with a great 3Floyds nose. I find that my non beer guests always enjoy this so it is a great party beer. (282 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -32.2%

IBU –
DATE – 2 June 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 oz Bottle
GLASSWARE – Goblet
APPEARANCE – Golden and clear with a nice stream of bubbles coming up right in the center of the glass, very thin head.
AROMA- Very hoppy and hints of sweet fruit
TASTE – a light citrus hop flavor, a little bitter as well, but in a refreshing way
MOUTHFEEL – Good carbonation, in fact maybe a bit too much. This is a very gassy beer.
CONCLUSION – For a wheat beer this taste more like an IPA. It is not bad, but when you are expecting a good wheat flavor and instead you get a hoppy flavor, well it just throws off the whole thing. I would drink this again now that I know what to expect.
-JH- (806 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

I am a little partial to this brew. Gumballhead really pushed me over the edge on craft brews. It is available on tap at most bars and is now my go to when I'm out with friends.

A - Pours a golden hue very cloudy with a nice head.

S - Lots of hops!!! Mandarin, orange zest and bouquet of happiness!

T - Big on the hops. This is definitely the amarillo hops. Personally one of my favorites. You get a wheaty influence and it once to take over, but the hops are just too much to overwhelm.

M - Pretty good body to the taste.

D - This is my summer beer! It is perfect for a hot day hanging out by the pool... (611 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

I had this on tap at the Three Floyd's brewpub and was quite impressed. I was told they use Amarillo hops in this wheat and that is one of the reasons I was very interested in trying it out. While technically it is an American wheat ale, it is unlike any other I have ever had. I tend to dislike standard American wheat ales finding them to be very bland and definitely needing the lemon wedge they are served with. This beer destroyed that stereotype. The amarillo hop addition gives this beer quite a bit of flavor. The hops have a citrusy, similar to grapefruit flavor to go along with their bite and it really makes quite an impression when drinking Gumballhead. I can find this beer in 22oz bottles, but most liquor stores want $6 / bottle, and unfortunately I just can't justify spending that kind of money. Great beer, but the limited production quantities keeps the price a little too high. (898 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours with a hazy orange body with a decent head. Can smell the grapefruityness of the hops in the nose. But what a taste - the palate is almost confused - the mellow wheatiness on the front with the grapefruitiness of the hops in the back makes for a VERY good beer. Eminently quaffable, with a lighter mouthfeel one would expect from a wheat beer more so than an ale. Highly recommended (from someone who is not a hophead). (425 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

into my weizen glass it pours a beautiful golden honey color with a nice two in pure foam head that leaves nice lacing down the sides of the glass. A beautiful looking beer. Smells of honey and wheat and mild fruit. A very nice taste as well. You can definatley tastet the honey and wheat. Mouthfeel is superb very light and crisp. I'm sorry i waited this long to crack this one open. I have to say one of my favorites (418 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a hazy copper with a thin white head. Lacing is leaving thick bands on my glass.

Smell is very amarillo dominated. I thought for a second that I was sticking my face in a box of Fruity Pebbles, mmmm.

And the taste, holy crap is that stuff good. It's hop heavy with just tons of sweet smooth amarillos, but the balance is there most definitely. Citrus flavors move in and out on the tongue at different times.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and that sets it head and shoulders above all the other American wheat beers.

Drinkability is insane, one bottle was not enough, it is so good I and low abv and smoothness makes me just want to drink this all afternoon on the back porch. Summer beer of the year this year for sure! (735 characters)

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.