Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,468 | Hads: 5,322
4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to Zrab11 for this one

Light, clean golden color. Small but persistent white foam head. Medium density. Personally, I'd like to see more haze...but I can be an idiot

Aroma is hops forward. Snappy, dry. Very slight toasted bread in the background.

Is there such a thing as American-India Pale Wheat Ale? This has a ton of hops in it, or perhaps more than malt on the ratio scale. Citrus and zesty. Damn, it is good. The flavors aren't all that powerful and the snap/dryness is up front and fades rather quickly on the end. Refreshing.

Good feel. Gives you a jab of hops then goes. (590 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks to cmsimeur for this bottle!

Appearance - Pours a hazy light orange, almost yellowish, body. Small white head with not such great retention. Not much lacing. Just a ring of foam.

Smell - Citrus hops galore. Like an IPA. Orange and grapefruit. Delicious. Maybe a hint of grain in the back, but certainly no apparent malt smell.

Taste - Hops and hops. Grapefruit and orange again. As with the smell, some grainy malt, but it's barely even a backbone to the hops. Finishes clean and slightly bitter, but not a lot.

Mouthfeel - It's almost too light. Extremely refreshing and easy to drink, but lacks the body to really retain the hop flavor in the finish. A bit dry in the end.

Overall - The quintessential lawnmower beer. Light and flavorful. Awesome. I wish I could have this in my fridge every day during the summer. (868 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

Nice, but nothing special. It immediately reminds me of Southern Tier's HopSun as a light an relatively hoppy wheat beer. The juicy, citrus hops are quite crisp but the malt flavor simply provides a sweet background for the hops. Overall, it's not that complex, but it's a refreshing beer for hops fans. (303 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Three Floyds
Gumballhead

Pours a light straw yellow. Very good clarity and decent head retention. Aroma of wheat, citrus and mild herbal qualities. In the taste, moderate wheat, and a good dose of hops. Hop flavors of citrus, tropical fruit (mango, pineapple) and mild pine. Still, the hops are in the background and don't steal the show. More wheat, with a grainy flavor and a touch of lemon. Mouthfeel is light/medium bodied. Overall, a really nice pale wheat, refreshing and enough hops to keep it interesting. (514 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer is exceptional. It pours a nice dark golden, with no haze, but also very little head. The nose is very nice- some nice crisp hops and some pronounced fruitiness. The taste is amazing, some nice hop bitterness and spiciness up front followed by a surge of juicy fruitiness that tastes almost like a gumball, followed by a nice clean but full wheat finish. The mouthfeel is rich for a wheat beer and a little less crisp than some, as it coats the mouth a little, but still quite good. I could drink this all night. The flavor keeps pulling you back for another swallow. Unique! (585 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a crystal clear medium golden color with a huge fluffy white head that persists forever. Holy hop Batman, I wasn't expecting such an aroma from this. Earthy pine and grapefruit atop a solid base of bready and spicy malts. The flavor is pine and resin atop a spicy yeasty earthy wheat base. Lingering spicy hoppy finish long after each sip. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet resinous mouthfeel. Wow, now that's a wheat beer. Mild phenols don't distract my sensitive palette and the hop flavor and aroma makes this quite interesting. (564 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes:

Pours a hazy golden yellow color with a thin, fizzy half finger white head that immediately disappears leaving only the smallest spots of lacing.

Surprisingly hoppy aroma for the style with a prominent earthy pine presence as well as hints of citrus and tropical. I'm picking up pine needle, grapefruit and lemon peel as well as some faint malt but not many characteristics of a wheat beer. Slight bread/yeast and citrus fruit but not much in the way of spice/clove. It smells great just not like a wheat beer.

Medium bodied with a good balance of earthy and citrus hops, crisp, light fruit, citrus peel and spice. There is some earthy pine needle and citrus/tropical fruit notes from the hops but it isn't as hop forward as the aroma suggests. The wheat beer characteristics are much more prevalent in the palate and flavor. Good balance of bread/yeast, citrus peel and clove notes. Clean, crisp and easy drinking with a slightly dry finish. (957 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Appears a cloudy pale golden color with a 2 inch white head that lasts for a moment. Huge bits of chunky lacing with small bits of carbonation can be seen.
Smell is of rich, blended red wheat with an array of citrusy hops jumping out of the glass. There are bits of ripe pear, and melon with a touch of vanilla deep in the aroma when the last remnants of the yeasty brew are poured out.
Taste is an interesting blend of full wheat and hops with yeast, pears, and citrusy hops. Refreshing at first but a tad chewy and filling.
Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied of the creamy wheat and bitterness that has a strange but pleasant feel. Creaminess mixed with bitterness that seems to overlap rather than clash makes this unique brew an excellent choice to try if for nothing else.
Drinkability is good but more than one in a sitting would be more than enough for me with the heavier body and the other choices you can find.

Finger licking good. (948 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Another long day at the office. The boss was riding my ass in the morning, and my wife was riding my ass after lunch. Too much stress and too little alcohol pretty much sums up the day. I went out to my car at lunch and downed a bomber of Imperial Stout, and then put an entire pack of gum in my mouth to mask the alcohol. "I'm not an alcoholic," I keep telling myself, "I just enjoy craft beer. I'm a beeradvocate." After a couple hours I started getting anxious again. Another hour later, depression set in and my hand began twitching involuntarily. Symptoms of alcoholism? I don't think so, I'm just going through craft brew withdrawal. I just need one drink of craft brew. It's not the alcohol I like, it's the barrel aged complexity. "I would still drink it if it was devoid of alcohol," I tell myself. "I'm a beeradvocate, not an alcoholic." I was on my way home when the nausea and headache set in. "God damn it. I should have drank that magnum of barrel aged beer before I left work. What was I thinking? I can't go this long without craft brew!" When I got home, my craft brew withdrawal was more than I could bear. I opened the fridge and saw Gumballhead staring at me. Thank gods for craft brew. I pour the sweet nectar into my glass while my wife screams at me from the other room. "I just enjoy craft brew!" I tell her. "Please, honey, just let me enjoy my craft brew. I'm not an alcoholic," I say as I begin pouring the Gumballhead into my mouth, half of it spilling all over my face and freshly dry-cleaned suit. I just want to drift away to the land of craft beer, where there are no alcoholics, and drinking first thing in the morning is socially acceptable.

The beer appears straw golden and effervescent with a creamy white head. The retention is good and only a little lacing clings to the glass.

The aroma is floral with some grapefruit, lemon, and orange. I wasn't expecting a hop bouquet, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Some peppery spiciness is evident, as well as a tiny wheat malt backbone.

I'm greeted by citrus in the flavor: lemon and grapefruit. Some wheat is noticeable, and there's just a little sweetness. The bitterness is tame throughout, but is at a medium level in the finish. A little peppery spiciness is reminiscent of rye. The alcohol is nowhere to be found, but that's not surprising. For 4.8%, this beer packs a lot of flavor. The finish is wheat and citrus, leaving some lemon lingering on my palate.

The beer is light bodied with good carbonation (2,495 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

22 OZ Bomber provided by Thaichile.

Pours a near clear orange colored ale with a bit of a white head. This truly looks like an AIPA in the glass.

Smell is mild sweet malt with a great deal of biscuit and cracker in it. There is a mild faint hop scent here that doesn't seem to quite make it up to pale ale strength. Faint citrus and pine but nothing too noticeable.

Taste is slightly sweet with a damn good citrus hop flavor in my mouth with a faint melon and lemon and tea after taste. Definitely sweet and strong on the hops, this is like Dreadnaughts little brother in a good way. There is a biscuit malt flavor here but this is most certainly a hops beer and one that I really dig.
Yummy tasty strong hops that is what makes this beer. This gets a 5, as there isn't another American Wheat beer in the same class, Sierra Nevada should taste this and fix their wheat beer.

Mouthfeel is good without being too thick for a summer beer.

This is in my book the ultimate lawnmower beer and simply the best American Style Wheat Beer by at least a factor of two, nothing else comes close. Only real defect is that the hops hide from your nose, but that might not be what you need in a summer beer. Best wheat beer in the USA, all the other brewers could learn a lot from this beer. (1,292 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Sampled at the Brickskeller the other night.

The beer pours a clear, honey gold color with OK head retention and decent lacing. On the nose, you can tell right off this is not your typical wheat beer, as I get a wonderful spicey, floral nose of hops. For a hophead like myself, this is very impressive. The flavor profile replicates the nose in this hoppy wheat beer, though interestingly I get most of the bitterness on the mid palate, with the beer having a smooth, fairly dry finish. The mouthfeel is refreshingly light, yet still very smooth and long. Drinkability is flat out perfection in this beer. It's literally lip smacking good, with a level of alcohol that would allow you to consume several without really feeling the effects.

Really an impressive wheat beer from this obviously very talented brewery. (817 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

What in previous bottles I've had was a peachy froth of capping, had fizzled out quickly with this one. What remains is only a thin collar, tightly bound to the outside circumference. To the light, the body takes on a lemon juice yellow colour. Away from the light, the beer shifts to a more enhance shade of sunset orange.

This smell should be a legal trademark of Three Floyds. A bursting bouquet, both fruity and sappy, that blooms with huge blasts of tangerine, grapefruit, and citrus. There are notes of pineapple and mango as well. This is island punch for the hophead!

The mouthfeel is crisp and tremendously refreshing. A perfect balance is struck between hops and malt, bitterness and softness. Just a tad acidic, which only adds to its quenching power. It passes over the palate almost too smoothly.

With every sip I take I can imagine myself doing 'snow angels' in a truck full of freshly picked hops. I lay there, on my back, swinging my arms up and down, the smile on my face ear to ear. A beautiful exotic woman brings me a hallowed out pineapple with a straw umbrella garnishing its side. From this I drink the most wonderful beverage - this is that beverage.

I read one reviewer of this beer say "... I'm really starting to become a fan of Three Floyds". Really? Just now? I was a fan even before I ever tried one of their beers! (Common, how cool is ALL their label artwork?) Drink one - any - Three Floyds beer and you'll be a fan.

These guys know how to brew; they are certainly among the best in the United States. If there's anything they may very be the best at it's brewing hoppy beers. Three Floyds has mastered this to the point of flawlessness. Point in case: the Gumballhead. (1,712 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle courtesy of korguy123, via LIF. Been wanting to try this one for quite some time, Three Floyds has my attention. Into a tulip.

Pours a clear golden orange, with a tinge of straw yellow to it. One and half fingers of head here, quickly fades to a very thin layer of head with a bigger collar. Aroma is a very pleasant citrus hop, led by some orange, nectarine and peach. A touch of lemon rind here as well, with some malty sweetness underneath it. Taste has a nice wheat character to it (well duh!), decorated with citrus hop profile that's exceptionally refreshing for the style. Follows the aroma pretty well for the taste. Mouthfeel is good, medium carbonation and very drinkable. Approximates the perfect summer beer, and is incredibly sessionable. (759 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

(Served in an imperial pint glass)

A- Pours a nice golden orange with a crystal clear body and a gentle carbonation. The head is a soapy white head with a collection of big bubbles mixed in.

S- All hops in this nose. Lots of green floral hops with some citrus and a hint of earthiness. A slight hint of pale malt is hidden in there aswell.

T- strong spicy hops with a hint of cat pee, but in a good way, if that makes sense. a bit of earthy citrus, more lemon, hops follow but are blended with a honey malt flavor. It also has a bit of softness from the wheat.

M- medium mouthfeel with just a hint of fizz from the carbonation. It has some astringency from the hops but not much.

D- This is a great beer for a summer session beer. It has the great hops coming through and a nice softness from the wheat that gives it a base to stand on. When I see this on the shelves I know summer is close. (910 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured a light copper hue with a one finger white foamy head. Good retention and lacing.

The smell was very aromatic citris hop. There was a good yeasty element as well.

The flavor was very clean and refreshing. Excellent citris hop balanced by a strong biscuity backbone. Clean doughy aftertaste. A very unique and hoppy wheat ale.

The mouthfeel was light and clean, but with a little to chew on.

Very drinkable and refreshing. An excellent all seasons ale. Thanks to orbitalr0x for this gem. (505 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

A 12 oz bottle purchased at Capone's.

A: The ale is a hazy, turbid color that, despite the particles, has a golden brilliance. A thick head over 2 fingers in size almost overtook my East End tumbler glass. As it receded, some bubbles stuck to the sides for a mere hint of lace.

S: The nose is a run of the mill wheat aroma except for one striking exception: the hops. The hop aroma is thick and medicinal with piney undertones.

T: The hops are the heart and soul of this beer. That's par for the course for IPAs, but a wheat beer? The hops are quite bitter, medicinal with a pine flavor that really grabs hold of the tongue. The wheat body adds very little, other than getting out of the way of the hops.

M: The wheat is slow to emerge, doing so only long after a sip is gone. The hops are tight, the real showcase of the ale.

D: The low abv makes this a good quaffin' beer but the harshness of the hops will limit mass consumption. (938 characters)

Thanks to JAYW for this brew.

Pours a clear/clean golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice huge two finger plus creamy/foamy white head, which then leaves some nice sticky lacing. The nose is malty, slightly hoppy, some spices, yeast, grassy, and slight caramel. The taste is nice, malty/hoppy, yeasty/grassy, slight spice, and some caramel. The finish is slightly dry and slightly bitter. Medium body. Drinkable, I'm glad I finally got a chance to try this one out. (470 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to korguy123 for this bottle!
Poured in to pint glass

A - Hazy dark yellow colour with hald a finger of bubbly white head.

S - The nose is a cross between a wheat beer and a pale ale. Citrus and piney hops are present along with a crisp citrus wheat beer palate. Very interesting.

T - Follows the nose. A nice crisp and bitter citrus hops taste up front with a crisp citrus wheat beer profile evident more so in the background. A good cross between the two styles.

M - Light body, lightly carbonated.

D - An excellent and unique beer and one that I would love to track down again. (597 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into a FW tulip. 6 pack from brewery, $10. Bottled 4 days ago.

Pours a crisp golden color with a nice inch thick white head. Terrific lacing too. Slight grapefruit on the nose...some lemon. Smell isnt that strong. The taste is a different story though as i got a ton of Amarillo hops right away immediately followed by grapefruit and lemon zest. Finish is more lemon zest and really not any bitterness at all. Definitely not typical for the style...this is very enjoyable. Mild bodied, mild carbonation.

Overall doesnt taste anything like a traditional wheat beer. I really dig it. Obviously, the freshness helped! (629 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 8/15/11
*From notes

A: A little surprised here, as this is a completely filtered sunshine golden. It looks a bit like an authentic Kolsch. A solid pour yields a one finger head which falls fast, and leaves minimal lacing.

S: Fresh herb box. Juicy hops are in there, but they're buried under sage, rosemary and grassiness that you can pick up on before putting the glass to nose. Wonderful.

T: Wow. The combination of flavor here is absolutely incredible. Massive quantities of fresh hibiscus and sage. The hop presence is killer - the balance of tropical fruit and bitterness is simply awesome. One of the most flavorful beers I've had the pleasure of tasting.

M: Much better weight then I'd expected, seeing as it's filtered. The carbonation is pitch perfect, and the overall texture and feel are superb.

O: Three Floyd's Gumballhead shocked and awed me. I'm not typically a fan of wheat beers of any kind, so you can imagine my surprise when this brew rocked my face. It's an eye opening experience, and easily one of the best low-ABV beer's I've poured into a glass.

On a sidenote, it reminds me quite a bit of Jackie O's Golden Spice. (1,187 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Three Floyds is giving midwest Brewing one heck of a reputation. These guys are fearless much like their art work for their beers. Gumball Head is by far my favorite wheat beer. The appearance is a clear yellow/golden color with nice carbonation that provides good white head that is lacing nicely. The scent is a wonderful bouquet spice and citrus formed by the Amarillo hops. The taste has a great citrus combo of lemon/grapefruit/apricot and touch of spice that I can't define. The mouthfeel is fine...session....no question. This wheat beer could be a pale ale easily. An absolute must try. (594 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5%

A- Pours a golden color. Half-inch head and a thin lacing left all the way down the glass.

S- Love the smell of this beer. Citrus, pine, and IPA-ish.

T- Good, not great. Nice balance of hops and malts.

M- Very crisp.

D/O- Wheats generally aren't my favorite but I could definitely imbibe on this and only this on a summer night in the not-to-distant future. Will drink again...thanks for the beer John! (407 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a clear, dark yellow color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells of strong citrus hops, slight sweet malt, slight yeast, hint of citrus, and a hint of floral hops. Fits the style of an American Pale Wheat Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. There is a strong bitterness. Tastes of strong citrus hops, sweet malt, yeast, hint of wheat, hint of floral hops, and an odd (candy flavor). Overall, good aroma, feel, and body. (497 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Crisp and clean, refreshing wheat beer with lots of flavor and good hoppiness not usually found in the style. Pours nearly clear, light amber/gold, with a two finger head, solid retention, and some patchy lacing on the glass. Aroma is citrusy, mostly grapefruit and pineapple, hints of pine, light graininess and wheat character. Not a huge nose but an appealing and clean one.

The flavor does a nice job of balancing very mild malty sweetness, some wheat character, and the flavorsome citrus of the hops while keeping the bitterness mostly restrained. Again there is grapefruit and pineapple and lesser pine resin notes but they don't dominate, merely enliven and compliment the other flavors. The finish is dry and the aftertaste is fairly short and leaves more of the hop flavor lingering than any particularly assertive bitterness.

Body is medium light; carbonation is medium, feel is crisp and smooth, lively without being fizzy. An easy drinking, quenching session brew great for a hot day or paired with a pizza dinner! (1,029 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz bottle received via I Want That BIF 3 from ClockworkOrange. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, forming a big ole 3" white head over the clear light golden brew. Forthy head fades ever so slowly, with lots of sticky lacing. Aroma is citrus and wheat. Taste imitates the nose, balanced between lemony bite and chewy wheat. Mouthfeel is smooth with the expected citrus bite, and drinking is very high. An enjoyable brew, but not as nice as I remember it being in the 22oz bottle a few years ago. (528 characters)

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.