Razor Hoof - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Razor HoofRazor Hoof

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 08-23-2013

Brewed with our friends in the epic band High on Fire, this heavily hopped saison is worthy of razor hoof.

Corpse wolf now raised.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.96/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Let's take the metal influence of this beer's label and High on Fire band collaboration and put it on hold for what is...these brewers like heavy music and heavy beer that's a given based on the history I have with them. This beer appears a deep cloudy copper body with light khaki head flowing forth! I'm going to light up a Drew Estate Unico series Feral Flying Pig as I drink this beer a cigar that has every opportunity to be metal whenever it wants to be. Aroma has hints of bready malts that linger with each sniff, it's actually an alluring beer it doesn't hit me up front with whatever it wants to be. With those beautiful malts I get citrus tones, and hints of Belgian style spice not a bad mix by any means. Dried apricot and other fruits explode on the nose and palate it has those characteristics that I enjoy in their hoppy offerings along with a muted breadiness and yeast character that continues to amaze me every time I try it. Each gulp adds complexity of the bready yeast notes and herbal spicy hop additions...definitely complex ale. Tropical fruit big malt layers binds a hoppy American Saison just about perfectly with any beer I've had in this style thus far. Mouthfeel has even flowing carbonation but the body gives it an oily texture that bounds to the palate the way that I want it. Overall drinkability is good I've had two over the course of today I can say that it's consistent and has not changed.

3.17/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

650ml bomber poured into tulip 5/10/13, thanks MasterSki and Sean9689 for the bottle

A murky brownish orange, some random chunks being pushed around by a stream of bubbles that feed a dense finger of tan foam that leaves two partial rings followed by a few random patches

S smells like a apple orchid just before the big freeze where everything smells like rotting apples and leaves decomposing, I get some caramel and citrus but its overwhelmed

T some faint tropical notes with lots of brown sugar and caramels, tastes like an old IPA but its an improvement over the nose

M thick and syrupy, enters silky and creams up a little from the bubbles than ends up flat, sweet caramel apple finish

O the smell ruins this one for me, if you've ever lived beside an orchid you to would find it hard to shake

no problems finishing the bottle but I could've used a friend or two to take it down, nothing really impressed me and I just couldn't shake the nose, not what I was hoping for from Three Floyds, not all that saison

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Bell's tulip. The beer pours out a dank, murky burnt orange with a big fluffy white head. Excellent retention and massive lacing. The nose has lots of sweet, over-ripe citrus fruit notes, primarily apricots and oranges.

The beer has a medium body with a sweet flavor profile and a slick, oily feel. Lots of fruit sweetness up front with big hits of pineapple, peach, and nectarine flavors. A fairly well-tempered hop balance greets you at mid-palate, but never really overwhelms all the sweetness. Finish is sweet and a sticky, fruity flavor lingers behind. Not the easiest beer to drink as it lacks balance. All those hops promised on the label clearly did not show up as expected.

Good beer, but definitely not what I would call a good Three Floyds beer. There are no dry floral notes nor is there any funky acidity as one typically finds in a Saison. Moreover (and I never thought I would say this about a Three Floyds beer), it needs more hops. This one tastes more like a Tripel than a Saison. I will always buy a new Three Floyds beer I have never had. They're one of only 3 breweries I have access to whose beers I will buy without hesitation (Founders and Great Lakes are the others). Not sorry I bought it, but won't buy it again.

3.66/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber picked up at the brewery a couple weeks ago.

Poured into a tulip at about 50 degrees. Large, dense, beige colored head over a very cloudy, dark amber body. Great head retention, and tons of lacing.

Aromas are full of canned pineapple juice - very tropical - along with some papaya, and red apple. Little bit of bready yeast in the background, and a touch of Fall spice. Pretty inviting.

Mouthfeel is awfully smooth for a Saison - bordering on creamy. Light zest from the carbonation, but not much. Flavors don't have the teeth of the aromas, as they do pick up mostly dull apple skins, and old peach. Light bitterness in the finish. Malt comes through a little heavy for my liking. Touch of wet hay accompanies the finish.

Would've liked more brightness and herbal/floral qualities, but it's still a nice, drinkable Saison, given the ABV.

3.85/5  rDev +11%

Poured into a tulip glass, the beer is a dark chestnut brown color, with a large head of fluffy foam. Sheets of lace form inside the glass, ever present lasting skim on the surface. As it settles there's a layer of suspended sediment in the lower half of the glass.

Aromas of dried fruit sweetness, papaya, cantaloupe, some Belgian yeast adding an element of spice complexity.

Bready malt figures big in the taste, along with a light fruity sweetness of orange and cantaloupe, dry in the finish with a lingering peppery spice. Medium bodied, smooth with a creaminess and spicy bitterness. More malty that most saisons, but enjoyable for what it is.

3.52/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A actually a really nice looking beer. Deep cloudy orange color with a thick white head. Nice lacing

S at first there was some citrus, a hint of pineapple juice actually but then it gave way to some funky dark fruits and malt breadiness

T not like any saison I've ever had. Its not bad, if I didn't know any better I might think I was drinking a very mild Belgian quad or something similar. There is some nice hop bitterness. The more I drink it the more I like it.

M pretty standard. Not much else to say really

O wasn't expecting much from this based on the reviews. This was a brewery only release but i purchased it a my local bottle shop so I'm guessing its not selling very well over at the floyds. Not something I'd seek out but it was interesting. Nothing off putting.

Bottom line: a decent beer although I'm not sure this is technically a saison

2.91/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

In conjunction with the band "High on Fire", this dry-hopped Belgian-style Saison is projecting an image of dry earthiness with fruit support upon a champagne-like bubbly nature and then exacerbated with bright hop aromatics... yea, none of that happens.

With a pour of deep amber and significant haze, its appearance is further muddled with only creaminess as if it were an Amber Ale. But with strong retention of its ivory-stained head and broken collars of lace, the ale sends strong aesthetic signals- just not consistent with Saison.

The prominent scent of bruised apples take center stage as the nose draws near. But then a mildly toasty, dry caramel scent backs up the fruit with a malty counterpart. But where's the earthy spiciness of Farmhouse Ales? Where's the spice? Where's the hops?

Its taste fares only slightly better as the beer's taste offer more than just bruised red apples- it also offers up mild toasted acidity, coupled with bread crust, light toffee, pepper, husky rye-like character and an earthy "stemmy" taste that's sharp and biting. Still, the complex vinous character is sorely lacking. So is the promised hop character that's basically a no-show.

Without an exact zesty character, the beer's body is semi-creamy and earthy with residual sweetness that keeps the beer heavier on the mouth than is what's desirable for its style. It simply labors onto the middle and late palate with dull oxidized taste and stagnant attempt to dryness.

Regardless what style its proclaimed to be, Razor Hoof really fails to meet the criteria of Saison in any regard. But as a nondescript ale, the bruised apple character provides such strong detraction that its hard to dismiss.

4.12/5  rDev +18.7%

Brewed with High on Fire. Based on my recent visit and beer haul from Munster IN it seems that all 3 Floyds does is hang out with metal bands, tattoo artists and grow beards.

Opaque, rusty dandelion color. Foam on my glass like it was applied with a paint roller. Reeks of sharp lemongrass (centennial?). Some peach ring in there too. Big, full body. Sticky, sharp, fresh cut grass hops all over the palette. Lots of caramel and extremely hoppy for a saison.

Not at all true to style but badd-ass nonetheless. Like it better than I like the band.

3.33/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to ajwatt for the bottle.

This is one unusual saison. It's cloudy and foamy, which is OK, and it smells like orange rinds. If it's possible to smell like orange pith, then this beer smells like orange pith. It certainly tastes like it. There's a little something else in there, like caramel. But it's only hinted at. This is dominated by orange pith, with a slight tartness and lingering bitterness. Maybe there's some melon in there? It is not a saison by my standards, but I would be hard-pressed to label it, regardless.

In the end, this is just an oddity. It's not unpleasant, but it's weird.

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Let's keep it simple. I love fff. But this is NOT a saison, not even close. It's an old ale if anything. Very simple beer... Lots of caramel malt. Abv well masked. Not a multidimensional experience and certainly not the typical FFF hopbomb. But aptly named, Razorhoof will slice and dice your ass with plenty of malty goodness. I definitely suggest this as a house beer swig, but I wouldn't hunt it down as a collector unless you like sugary beers to throw in the cellar. Happy Ales...

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle opened on 11.19.13

A - Pours a clear light brown-orange with a large foamy light tan head with solid retention.

S - dirt and Garbage.

T - Malty garbage and rotten fruit.

D - Decent carbonation with a medium body.

O - This bottle is bad, very very bad. I had this on tap at FFF in September, and I though enough of it to buy a bottle. The bottle was very bad. The score will reflect my best experience with this brew.

4.79/5  rDev +38%

In my opinion this was a great saison from three Floyd's. I typically don't care for the saison style but I try and support three Floyd's being from indiana. There is never any bias when drinking their product, I judge realistically and I believe this saison is one of the few best I have tried. A great fruity aroma and smooth finish. Light hoppyness made this farmhouse ale/saison a must try.

1.57/5  rDev -54.8%

Served on draft at Three Floyd's.

Total malt-bomb. Murky, unattractive, zero hops, no farmhouse qualities. Just an awful sweet cloudy mess.

I'm not usually a beer-hater, but this was simply terrible. I got through a third of the glass and I decided to ask the bartender about it. I asked if he had had Razor Hoof and if he likes it. He said yes he had it, but it wasn't his thing because he doesn't like Saisons.

It's labeled as a dry-hopped Saison. I told the bartender I really don't care for it at all. He said it's probably because it's dry-hopped and too intense for me. I said, well I don't get any hops whatsoever - it's a total malt-bomb. To that he said "yeah, I can see that".

Uhhh....how can you tell me the beer is intensely hoppy and then agree that it's a malt-bomb?! I asked him if it would be possible to get a half-beer of something else because this wasn't anything like the beer was described. His response was "you can buy another beer if you want". Cool, dick. You don't know anything about beer based on the way you described this, and you're rude to your customers on top of it. This is turning into a typical "Three Floyd's bad service" rant, so I'll end it there.

Verdict: Just terrible.

2.87/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A - Hazy cherry brown and copper body with an off white head

S - Light lemon, spice and wet socks with really not much of a nose 2:75

T - Bitter hops crossed with lemon. A light funk, banana and clove linger in the finish. Bit boozy as well. Light spice and some bitterness from the hops cones thru near the end

M - Really thick with minimal carbonation.

O - Too much going on with the saison aspects hidden by the hops but the hops not able to shine thru with the Saison

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at FFF Brewpub right after they kegged it for the first time.

A: Looks fairly cloudly, murky even. A looks darker and cloudier than your usual saison.

S: Hops, and more hops. Not use to so much hops in a saison nose but I am diggin it! Hoppiest one I've come across, love it.

T: Interesting! Has a very unique flavor that I can imagine 20 different people would all have a different flavor to pinpoint this one. Very interested beer, worth seeking out!

MF: Smooth and easily drinkable, you wouldn't guess this to be 8.5%!

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to drink this beer but it's not one of the best FFF beers, that's for sure. Worth seeking out, not world class.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Razor Hoof from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.