Razor Hoof - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.20% ABV

Brewed with our friends in the epic band High on Fire, this heavily hopped saison is worthy of razor hoof.

Corpse wolf now raised.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 08-23-2013)

3.34/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to ajwatt for the bottle.

This is one unusual saison. It's cloudy and foamy, which is OK, and it smells like orange rinds. If it's possible to smell like orange pith, then this beer smells like orange pith. It certainly tastes like it. There's a little something else in there, like caramel. But it's only hinted at. This is dominated by orange pith, with a slight tartness and lingering bitterness. Maybe there's some melon in there? It is not a saison by my standards, but I would be hard-pressed to label it, regardless.

In the end, this is just an oddity. It's not unpleasant, but it's weird.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

4.08/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Let's keep it simple. I love fff. But this is NOT a saison, not even close. It's an old ale if anything. Very simple beer... Lots of caramel malt. Abv well masked. Not a multidimensional experience and certainly not the typical FFF hopbomb. But aptly named, Razorhoof will slice and dice your ass with plenty of malty goodness. I definitely suggest this as a house beer swig, but I wouldn't hunt it down as a collector unless you like sugary beers to throw in the cellar. Happy Ales...

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

Bottle opened on 11.19.13

A - Pours a clear light brown-orange with a large foamy light tan head with solid retention.

S - dirt and Garbage.

T - Malty garbage and rotten fruit.

D - Decent carbonation with a medium body.

O - This bottle is bad, very very bad. I had this on tap at FFF in September, and I though enough of it to buy a bottle. The bottle was very bad. The score will reflect my best experience with this brew.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

4.79/5  rDev +34.9%

In my opinion this was a great saison from three Floyd's. I typically don't care for the saison style but I try and support three Floyd's being from indiana. There is never any bias when drinking their product, I judge realistically and I believe this saison is one of the few best I have tried. A great fruity aroma and smooth finish. Light hoppyness made this farmhouse ale/saison a must try.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

1.54/5  rDev -56.6%

Served on draft at Three Floyd's.

Total malt-bomb. Murky, unattractive, zero hops, no farmhouse qualities. Just an awful sweet cloudy mess.

I'm not usually a beer-hater, but this was simply terrible. I got through a third of the glass and I decided to ask the bartender about it. I asked if he had had Razor Hoof and if he likes it. He said yes he had it, but it wasn't his thing because he doesn't like Saisons.

It's labeled as a dry-hopped Saison. I told the bartender I really don't care for it at all. He said it's probably because it's dry-hopped and too intense for me. I said, well I don't get any hops whatsoever - it's a total malt-bomb. To that he said "yeah, I can see that".

Uhhh....how can you tell me the beer is intensely hoppy and then agree that it's a malt-bomb?! I asked him if it would be possible to get a half-beer of something else because this wasn't anything like the beer was described. His response was "you can buy another beer if you want". Cool, dick. You don't know anything about beer based on the way you described this, and you're rude to your customers on top of it. This is turning into a typical "Three Floyd's bad service" rant, so I'll end it there.

Verdict: Just terrible.

Razor Hoof from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub