3 Monts Flanders Golden Ale - Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre

3 Monts Flanders Golden Ale3 Monts Flanders Golden Ale

Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre visit their website
France

Bière de Garde |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 3 Monts Flanders Golden Ale Alström Bros
bark

Sweden

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%

The colour is golden yellow. The gigantic white head is compact, the lacing is intensive.

The smell got a yeasty note of wheat dough, American hops and band aids.

The taste is relatively mild and earthy with a mild bitterness. The aftertaste is mild with some yeast.

The carbonation is medium strong with medium sized tickling bubbles.

10-29-2006 19:55:09 | More by bark
haz77

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%

A - Pours a clear gold with a bubbly white head. Plenty of carbonation keeps this well retained. A thick coating of lacing is left behind as the beer is drunk.

S - Green apples, pear, clove, phenols, pepper, slight farmyard.

T - An initial fruitiness with a dry backbone becomes spicy toward the middle. The farmyard character makes a brief appearance at this point along with some pear. This finish is dry/sweet, with clove and alcohol spice (although it isn't overbearing).

M - Medium body and lively carbonation. Mouthfeel is incredibly creamy.

D - The high carbonation hinders the drinkability, but overall this is a fantastic beer.

10-23-2006 08:38:07 | More by haz77
AltBock

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

750 ml bottle with a funky wired cork. I didn't have a problem with the wire, it was actually the cork I had the problem with. I couldn't pull it out, so I decided to take it out with one of those wine corks and pull it out like a fancy bottle of French wine. It worked! I found out that 3 Monts is named after the 3 hills that surround the village and provide the only point of view in the rather flat landscape of the Flanders region of France. The large oval label shows that. It shows a picturesque landscape of those open fields on the 3 hills as well as 4 trees, a windmill, and a small French village in the background. It would have been better if they put more color in it than the dull yellowish brown color they have. There is a medium sized back label that has the Govt. warning and an order #, which mine is Order # 3038. I guess the back label means more to the distributor than to the drinker. A date would have been better, but not all bottles can have that.

Appearance: When poured into an oversized wine glass, the beer was an extremely nice golden amber color. The label wasn't lying when it said it was going to be a Golden Ale. When it was poured, the beer was nothing but a pearl white head of foam. When it finally settled down, the beer still had that nice head of pearl white foam, as well as white foamy rings and plenty of pearl white lace around the glass. A small skim of that foam still remains after the beer is almost all gone. It doesn't seem to want to leave. I can't say enough good things about this appearance.

Smell: I like the aroma of this beer, but there really wasn't much going on there. What was there was bread malts in the beginning, juicy fruits in the middle (which notably the most predominate aroma was the golden delicious apple), and a very subtle aroma of pepper, citrus hops, and some yeast at the end.

Taste: If you smelled this beer then you'll know what it tastes like. The taste flavors are in the same exact order and the aroma flavors. The bready malts in the beginning, the ton of juicy fruits in the middle, and the pepper, citrus hops, and yeast at the end. There was only one small difference between the smell and the taste was that the taste was very dry. I took a short break from this beer and put the rest of the beer in the fridge. When I poured the rest into the glass, it tasted almost exactly like a dry white wine. If you did what I did then you could probably confuse people that this is a dry white wine, only if they didn't look at it.

Mouthfeel: When I read that this beer clocks in at a 8.5% ABV, I thought this beer doesn't even show a lick of that ABV. Hell, after drinking more than half the bottle, I couldn't even feel it go to work. I don't know how they did it, but they did it. Other than it being very sneaky, there was only a very subtle aftertaste of citrus fruits. It was there, then it wasn't.

Drinkability: I'd say it's about damn time I decided to open this beer up. I don't know how long I've had this, but it's been at least a couple of months. I don't know what I was waiting for, but I'm glad I decided to open it. If you can get past their wired cork, then you're in for a nice treat. If you like a beer than can turn into a dry white wine, then by golly pick this one up.

10-09-2006 00:00:57 | More by AltBock
vancurly

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

750ml bottle, with metal pin holding the cork in place. Took some effort to open it. But it was worth it.

Clear, yellow, beer, with a fluffy white head.

Gamey aroma, almost brie-like, nutty. Warms to honeycomb, floral hop.

Initial flavours of complex specialty malts, cereal grains, grassy hop. Honeycomb again evident as it warms. Musky, bubblegum ester, tropical fruit. Buttery aftertaste, with a hint of cashew.

Big effervescent explosion, medium creamy body. Medium bitterness, and subtle alcohol heat.

At $12 AUD, this is very good value. Would make a more than suitable substitute for a chardonnay at the meal table.

10-07-2006 00:54:09 | More by vancurly
Lupin

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Weird-ass cork on this 750ml. Forget what I paid for it.. $6 I think. Easy pour with a very fluffy head, kinda reminiscient of a slurpee after you've sucked all the syrup out of the bottom. Lots of carbonation. Very pale, very clear. Still about an inch of bubbles a minute after pouring.

Smells like a stinky wet dog. Nothing tos peak of here. I think I'm in for something watery. Might as well get started before it goes flat.

Deceptive start. Foam tickles the tongue. There.. got rid of some of it. Sweet and tart/sour, with just enough hops to round things out. Very interesting. Excellent creamy mouthfeel. Somewhat deceptive considering the 8.5%. Reminds me of oily italian bread. None of the yeasty sugary feel I am used to from beers this strong.

The only thing I ddin't really like about this beer was the aroma, which was rather dull, if not somewhat offensive. A great beer to throw in between more complex brews like abbey and pale ales or stouts. Not utterly complex but just a very relaxing, tranquil brew with just enough of a nectary/sweet feel to keep you interested. I think I'd prefer it in a 12oz or pint bottle, but I'll just have to share some instead. :)

09-13-2006 00:02:50 | More by Lupin
fartingdog

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Pours a lovely rich golden color with a thick white head. Initial smell and taste is of that delicious farmhouse 'yeastiness' I'm so fond of in Jenlain, although much less prominent. A little spicy on the tongue. Though a little more subdued in flavor and richness that other BdG's, this is a very well balanced beer. Extremely enjoyable- almost like a Duvel/Jenlain hybrid.

09-06-2006 02:28:55 | More by fartingdog
kimcgolf

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured to a golden color with thick white head that dissipated by mid-glass and left little lacing. Ironically, this is the first beer I’ve had where the head on the beer inside the bottle was bigger than that in the glass. Aroma was grassy floral hops. The flavor was more of the same, but a malty sweetness crept in to tame this down and leave a well-balanced, smooth finish. I’m not sure why this brewer chose to secure their beer with a cork and huge metal staple, but the 3 Monts made removing it worth the work.

09-06-2006 01:46:45 | More by kimcgolf
RobertDwight

Iowa

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

I bought this in Strasbourg, France along with the glass to accompany it. This is my first time tasting this style. It pours a lovely golden color with a thick white head which partially dissipates but leaves laces around the glass. The carbonation was going mad crazy in the glass, quite a spectacle to watch. I wasn't too impressed with the smell. The taste starts out with sweet flavors, notes of caramel and honey at first. Then it moves to bitterness from the hops which is quite nice. It has a very light mouthfeel, but the taste lingers a while after taking a sip. This beer is very drinkable.
Overall I thought this was a very nice beer. I'm not too into this style, so I don't think I will buy it again very much.

08-19-2006 18:31:30 | More by RobertDwight
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%

Ripe lemon with the finest particulate haze imaginable. Like most high quality beer from this region of the world, the cap is a thing of beauty. It was huge to start, shrinking to a more manageable three fingers within the first several minutes. Chalk white in color with surface pits that cause it to resemble a torn piece of rustic bread, the foam is sticky enough to grace the glass with a respectable amount of chunky lace.

I haven't had a lot of Bieres de Garde, but most of them smell good to me in an exotic sort of way. 3 Monts is no exception. The first thing that strikes me is how spicy it is. Cardamon, clove and white pepper emanate from the glass in advance of all else. Funky farmhouse scents are at a minimum.

The flavor follows the nose directly, but fleshes it out and improves on it considerably (the drinking is so much enjoyable than the sniffing). Beneath '3 Monts' on the label are the words 'Flanders Golden Ale'. I only mention it because if there's one word that describes the flavor of this beer it's 'golden'. It's bright and sunny and golden fruity and... I don't know, it just tastes like the color gold. In the same way that some IPAs taste green and some stouts taste black, I guess.

The fruits in question are Golden Delicious apples and, especially, not-quite-ripe pears. Despite the fact that the pale malt backbone is more than sturdy, the beer leans toward bitter, dry and crisp. As is often the case, it becomes more so from the start of each mouthful to the finish. The spice load is nigh on perfect. It's aggressive enough to be the focal point of the entire beer, yet not so pushy as to limit enjoyabillity or drinkability.

The fact that the 8.5% ABV isn't completely masked doesn't bother me in the least. It's far from overwhelming and gives the beer a seriousness that only adds to its allure. The mouthfeel isn't light and airy, nor is it full and sticky. It's somewhere in between and is perfectly matched to the flavor profile. The lower than expected bubble load works; just as a higher than expected bubble load would have.

3 Monts (3 Mountains) is very good beer. Even though I haven't had enough examples of this style to speak with great authority, I feel pretty confident in saying that this one can hold its own with some of the world's best. It may not be at the absolute peak, but the Biere de Garde summit is in sight.

07-21-2006 22:59:11 | More by BuckeyeNation
Bierschenker

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

Consumed at “Het Waagstuk” on the Stadswaag, Antwerpen.

Served in a 750ml bottle, drank out of a tulip 3 Monts.
Rapidly developing snow white head. But it disappeared just as quick. A few strings of carbonation run through the golden clear brew.
A dry bitter nougat like scent, honey and almond. Nicely hopped.
At first strong carbonation fills the mouth. Followed by full bodied malt, yeast and hop. Caramel like sticky evolution. Strong alcohol underlying.
Aftertaste is alcohol, pepper and yeast / hop.

07-07-2006 11:24:30 | More by Bierschenker
DaveFL1976

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

This must have been the most difficult-to-get-into bottle of beer that I've ever had. Maybe it's 'drunk-proof'?

Pours a bright yellow, with a fluffy white head that sticks around for quite a while. Smells almost a bit like a Pilsner Urquel -- those hops. You know what I mean. Doesn't taste much different, either. A lot more mouthfeel. Heavier body, and a bit of an alcohol bite, but this sure tastes like a relative to a PU.

06-06-2006 02:04:19 | More by DaveFL1976
JanM

Sweden

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

Doesn't taste as interesting as the bottle looks. Ther color is pale yellow. It pours with a lot of foam and bubbles smelling of flower and spices. The inital taste is dominated by a sweetness, alcohol and metal. It's followed by bread and citrus and a dry bitterness. In Sweden we have a kind of artificial candy called "foam banana" and this taste is also there. After the bottle was finished I walked around with a sour taste in my mouth. All and all it's not a bad beer but it's nothing to go out of your way for.

05-05-2006 18:04:54 | More by JanM
sinstaineddemon

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

A - wow is this pale, a very pale yellow in color, however it wells up a very thick white forthy head that settles out at a finger thick

S - hmmm, a very good aroma, a hoppy, honey sweetness, balanced with a crisp clean aroma

T - WOW, really well-balanced, there is a delightful honey sweetness balanced against a hoppy bitterness, even a slight hint of berriness in back, like blackberries, i dunno maybe im crazy

M - very well balanced, sweetness, bitternes, what more could i ask for, hmm, a great beer from France, down go my predispositions

D - high, a great beer, i could drink this i much higher volumes, if youve never tried this, but have seen it at your liquor store, GO BUY IT...NOW!!!

04-04-2006 05:18:36 | More by sinstaineddemon
bruachan

District of Columbia

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

i think i bought this at arrowine in arlington; i've had it for a while...hope it's still good

crystal clear pilsner color with the whitest of white heads on top. it's fluffy and sudsy, but fades fairly quickly

spicy...aroma and flavor. BdGs are still my chimera but i'm not sure this is what i expected. it tastes a little funky to me, but judging by the other reviews i think this bottle is still good. bitter for a belgian; makes me think of orval

noble hop flavor and complex spicing, with ample carbonation and a decent malt backbone. meh...it's good. i'd like to get my hands on the special reserve

03-12-2006 03:35:28 | More by bruachan
ypsifly

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

Undated 750 that is corked and banded. Purchased from Bello Vino in Ann Arbor and poured into a Piraat tulip.

Clear sparkling apple juice under a tall head of white. Very strong retention with lots of webby lace. Beautiful!

The nose is a little musty with some grass and fruits from the yeast.

The medium mouth has a lot of lively carbonation and finishes very clean. Dry upfront with some tart spiceness towards some fruits and a little funk. A little chalk flavor and some wood as well. Nice dry finish with a little spicy fruit and a hint of alcohol in the finish.

A solid beer. I will be buying more in the future. I'm enjoying this with a small plate of edam which really seems to bring out the fruit notes in the beer.

03-03-2006 03:19:25 | More by ypsifly
Anonmatel

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

The appearance was golden in Colour, great froth 'trying to hide up your nose' kind of head.

Smelt of honey, spice, fruity, earthy.

Tasted of pear, spices, malty, all the things you'd expect me to say.

This is just one of those beers you wish you could afford more often. I picked it up for $13.95 for 750ml which is a little too much for one beer in my humble opinion.
A very solid beer though.

02-21-2006 11:06:27 | More by Anonmatel
EPICAC

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

This is my first Bière de Garde. It came in a standard 750mL brown glass bottle. The cork was held in place by a metal bracket that I had to pry off with a pair of needle-nose pliers, the cork then had to be removed with a corkscrew. I let the beer warm for about 45 minutes (ideal serving temp 45-50ºF), but closer to 40ºF. I served the beer in my two New Belgium snifters, which I felt were a reasonable substitute for the recommended tulip, or oversized wine glasses.

Appearance: It pours a hazy golden color, with a champagne-like carbonation. A thick white head tops the beer, and slowly diminishes to a thin layer.

Smell: A sweet aroma with a very subtle hint of apple.

Taste: Spices upfront, with a light bready sweetness at the center. The sweetness carries to the end. A warming sensation from the alcohol is also evident at the end. There's a mild bitterness throughout.

Mouthfeel: Has an initial prickliness that gives way to a smooth, medium bodied feel.

Drinkability: Smooth, and refreshing. This beer would be easy to drink a lot of.

Overall: This is my first Bière de Garde. I think the bottle might have been a little old. Maybe I would have been more impressed with a fresher bottle. I do like the complexity that isn't present in other styles of golden beers.

01-19-2006 21:22:30 | More by EPICAC
KALIKGOLD

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

I purchased some of these babies at a Piggly Wiggly for a little under $7.00. I know, expensive, but its a good occasional brew. I am new to Biere de Garde, and I now am in love with it. It is in a brown bottle with an oblong golden label and an annoying metal strap ontop of a cork. When you get through the "obstacle course" of entry containing the mines and "booby-traps" you can enjoy this tasty beverage. I poured this golden ale into a snifter and had about an inch of head that leaves pretty quickly. The carbonation was perfect to me, lots of bubbles espcially in a snifter. The smell was great, like honey, brown sugar, medium hops and a goon malty smell. Now for the taste... This is a good beer, pretty hoppy and almost like candy. Pretty sweet but not overpowering, a good ratio of sweetness. kind of fruity, as it got warmer it had an after taste of an apple maybe, just a hint of a delicious golden apple, also as it warmed, i noticed that the warmer it gets, so does the throat most likely because of the alcohol which is very evident from the beginning. The 8.5% ABV will creep up on you quickly, I was giggling like a schoolgirl after about 2 in a row. This is a great beer and is probably now one of my favorites, I like the beginning the middle and the end of this beer, well not the end because that means it getting empty, but you get the point, I highly recomend this beer to anyone.

12-07-2005 02:53:12 | More by KALIKGOLD
taez555

3.18/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured a crystal clear yellow body with a thick bright white head.

Nose had a touch of biscuit, some alcohol. Mild hints of yeast and an array of very subtle spices.

Taste was medium bodied and very smooth. Large bubbled carbonation with a distinct hop bitterness. Touches of spice and yeast flow throughout. Malt base had a very mild almost biscuit taste, but leaned more towards just a very clear classic Belgian malt. Ended very clean and rather forgettable. Very subtle tastes.

I don’t know, I wasn’t really crazy about this beer. It seemed like a mellow saison mixed with Bud. A decent beer to pair with certain foods, but I’d probably take something with a little more bite next time.

12-02-2005 17:35:25 | More by taez555
kkipple

South Carolina

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Bought a 750ml bottle for $6.50 at my local beverage shop. Dark brown container is more akin to a wine bottle with a cork and big oval label. Once the cork was popped, the beer was poured into two pilsner glasses.

3 Monts turned out to be a clear golden ale with a decent half inch head that disappeared after a few minutes. Lots of bubbles. Looked like a deep yellow champagne actually. Nice to observe.

The aroma was excellent, a honey-sweet, floral smell with a tinge of hops and malt. My favorite part of this brew.

Taste was crisp and refreshing. Hoppy and slightly sweet, with a nice warm aftertaste (due to the 8.5% ABV). Almost too easy to drink. I'd be wary of consuming an entire bottle on an empty stomach. Tasted a bit fruity too, especially as it warmed. Aftertaste was smooth and warm. Very pleasant.

3 Monts is a good beer, but I doubt I'd drop $6 for one regularly. For that price there are ones I prefer more. If you could buy this stuff in 12oz bottles around the $2 mark I'd be all over it. That said, it is absolutely worth trying once or twice and makes a nice treat.

11-03-2005 16:52:05 | More by kkipple
doubleipa

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

This bottle has been cellared for a year and a half. First off, there seems to be virtually no difference between the cellared and fresh bottles I had. This review is with respect to the cellared bottle.
Aroma is spicy and yeasty with a bit of bread. Poured a decent frothy head with good lacing. The head soon vanished leaving a bright yellow, clear body. Initial flavor was sweet and acidic that become moderately acidic. The body was light to medium with soft carbonation. Biere de garde's aren't my favorite style even though I love saison's. Go figure. I think I don't care for the aftertaste. However, as this style goes, this is good representative

10-27-2005 13:00:46 | More by doubleipa
lagrin

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured a deep gold color with a thin but long lasting head and nice steady stream of tiny carbonation bubbles.

Aroma of malt with overtones of hay and fruit.

Malt is definitely noticeable in the taste but it takes on much less of a caramelized flavor that is apparent in other beers. A soft and very pleasant bitterness towards the end that is intertwined with an funky combination of higher alcohols, more malt and yeast. Slight acidic twang and warming sensation is felt towards the back of the mouth. As I get closer to the bottom of the glass, the malt seems to become even more pronounced.

Very enjoyable. I didn't expect to like this one so much.

10-16-2005 00:58:32 | More by lagrin
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Got this bottle from the Beer Circus in East Croydon, London, two months ago. But I didn't pay attention to the fresh info. when purchasing it; only until now have I finally figured out that it's past the suggested BB date (03/2005) by more than six months already!!

A: in a goblet it pours a clear, beautiful yellow-ish pale golden hue, coming with a paper white, extremely tight and frothy head that seems to last forever, plus an extremely gently carbonated body.
S: besides a fine aroma of subtle German lager malts, the soft red-apple-peel-ish
perfumy aroma climbs up the nostrils; the texture is ever so soft and light, combined with a continental noble-hops' slightly spicy+grassy note, white grape-skin kind of vinous aroma, a touch of diacetyl, a touch of sour-dough, even refreshing scent of primrose plus not-too-strong vanilla-flavouring, and a tinge of potato-starch kind of root-vegetable's rough sweetness (almost like a piece of slightly oxidised peeled potato)... The nose is as complex as subtle, taking great patience to explore fully - as soon as any single element
hits the spot, the aroma transforms slowly by stealth!!
T: a creamy texture of toasted-bread maltiness caresses the palate along with mildly-sour grassy hoppiness, distinctive estery notes, a wedge of sweetened lime, and a slightly sharply sweetish pear-ish edge as of un-oaked Chenin-Blanc wine; simultaneously, a low-key alcoholic touch creeps deep down the throat, rendering a pleasantly warming touch... The finish also shows a lightly dry palate of hops along with more exotic fruit esters in line with a yeasty Belgian ale, but only just enough to provoke a bit more thirst and invite a bit more sips.
M: consistently lively and creamy, due to the lovely gentle, fizzy body; but, in the end, a slightly sticky mouthfeel reveals itself, and slightly spoils the overall soul-lifting texture I so very much like. Also, after being exposed to the air for a while, the focused flavour and texture tend to "thin out" a bit, and thus leaving a slightly thin palate in the very end - or, perhaps, I should've consumed it slightly faster?!
D: all in all, this is a delicious, easily likable and addicted beer indeed - I mean perhaps the best Biere de Garde among (only) half-a-dozen examples I've ever tried; this "expired" beer performs so well that I could only dream of the great potentials of the same beer that is slightly younger...

10-08-2005 20:34:44 | More by wl0307
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

750ml Bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast...

Poured a golden yellow colour... White head poured quite big and foamy but disappeared very quickly. Quite big beading...

Aroma - Very flowery, sugary, vanilla, earthy hints, banana...

Taste – Fruity, lemony, earthy, peppery. Sweet - but not as sweet as you would expect from the smell...

Feel - Very sharp, lots of carbonation....

Overall - An excellent Biere de Garde. Up there with the best...

09-26-2005 14:37:22 | More by mdagnew
xgrigorix

4.6/5  rDev +16.5%

Brown 750 ml bottle, corked with that wire thingy. No dates.

Pale straw gold. Bright. Intense lines of thin carbonation. A gentle pour produces a rocky white head of epic proportions. Head holds reasonalby well & leaves some patchy lace.

Hints of anise & musty earth. Hints of herbaly hops in the nose as well.

Somewhat sweet up front. Biscuit & baking bread. Some more anise & some sublte fruity notes. Herbal hops bring it home with a flinty dry finish. Medium body, fine carbonation. Sublime.

09-24-2005 04:02:31 | More by xgrigorix