3 Monts Flanders Golden Ale - Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre

3 Monts Flanders Golden Ale3 Monts Flanders Golden Ale

Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre visit their website
France

Bière de Garde |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 3 Monts Flanders Golden Ale Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

It was a pain in the butt to get the cork out of this with it’s metal strap. When I finally did, this poured much lighter than I’d expected, even for a "godlen ale" ... very light yellow, with a fizzy appearance and light white fizzy head. The aroma is damn near American macro-like, starchy and stark. Likewise, the first impression of this beer almost suckers me into thinking "American light lager" ... but there is a stronger undertow here, a more boisterous cacophony of flavors and a clearly more muscular pull that develops and develops and develops the more I drink. Quite a nice strong, yet beguiling ale. (#2801, 4/20/2007)

Braudog, Apr 21, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a very slightly cloudy golden with a decent pure white head and not much lacing. The smell is fairly light and surprisingly pilsnerish with light floralhops and light tangy malt and the typical lager yeast smell. The taste is somewhat similar, with some added notes of light banana on the finish and some pronounced alcohol. The mouthfeel is fairly light and creamy- could be slightly crisper for my taste. Fairly drinkable, but a little boring.

Georgiabeer, Apr 09, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3 Monts
750 ML brown bottle with a unique cork design
Order: 3033
#18-13 on the cork
Served in an Allagash tulip glass

Appears a tad hazy. Light mustard yellow in color with a mountainous head on top. Patterns of fluffy sticky lace patterns decorate the glassware. Little carbonation bubbles race to the top.

Very aromatic with whiffs of cloves, light fruit and a funky mildew accent. Barnyard funk. Unique.

Spicy and herbal with a hint of bubblegum. Flavors of a crisp Granny Smith green apple, honey, cloves, spices and sweet sugars. Interestingly dry and very fulfilling with a mini hop snap on the finish.

A complex and enjoyable Biere de Garde and my first for the style. Reminiscent of a dry Belgian Triple with a Lambic flair. Recommended.

Hibernator, Mar 04, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Bière de Garde? What the hell is that?

Pours pretty as all hell. Wonderful dark orange crayon orange with a giant white head that shimmers and sparkles and it ain't never gonna fade up and die.

Smells of very sweet, rich Belgian fruit yeast and moderate malt. If I hadn't logged into this here website, I'd have sworn this was either a very rich dubble or an exceptionally smooth trippel.

Tastes of crisp, rounded and smooth generic fruit up front. Almost synthetic, it's got so little burn to it. Not a bad thing, though. Refined, not synthetic. Just because something is neither harsh nor crude doesn't mean that it's not geniune. This slips into a sadly bland middle of seltzery yeast that's tempered by only a slight gasp of fruit, and the end is a rush of bready malt and a light, wonderfully lingering and spicy european hop.

There's a hell of a lot of stuff going on in this beer and nearly all of it is excellent. Maybe a tad bit uneven at the end, but at 8.5% it's hard to imagine packing more Belgiany goodness into such a moderately sized beer.

mynie, Feb 25, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Nice hazy yellow pour with big cloudy head- nice lacing. No real malty aromas- very spicy and alcohol is there. Slightly odd character on first taste, and there is a dry finish with a touch of oily hops. The spices overwhelm and do well to cover up the alcohol content. Not too yeasty like expected but there is a tartness from the malt/phenol combo. Crisp and clean with some great and unique flavors.

kernalklink, Feb 04, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

2/1/2007 $6.99 750 mL 8.50% No best by date, but stamped ORDER #3040.

Appearance:

After struggling to get the damn cork out (oddest attachment I've ever seen), this pours a nice golden hue that is slightly opaque, and topped by a quarter inch of tight white head.

Aroma:

Has a nice barnyard/acidic funk that is underlaid by a subtle sweetness.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

This begins with a nice peppery effervescence imparted by the fine carbonation. Flavors are a mildly sweet fresh pear which is tempered by a bit of acidity. The barnyard funk from the aroma doesn't make it into the flavors at all, and the relatively high ABV is expertly masked as well. This is a disturbingly easy to drink ale. Seek it out, you won't be disappointed.

cbl2, Feb 01, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured a pretty pale gold into a tulip. Large 4 finger head which left lots of lacing. Continued for subsequent pours. Thought that the cork was going to be a problem, but it came out easily enough with a bit of coaxing from a corkscrew.

Nothing remarkable in the smell here. Reminded me a bit of a Saison, but not so intense. Taste also less than remarkable. Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer and I finished the bottle. Very uniqe taste. Mildly sweet going down, but leaves a lingering bitterness on the tongue. Very balanced.

Highly carbonated, but this eases up after a while making the mouthfeel and drinkability better for me. The alcohol is well hidden. A good beer all and all, and one I would drink again if offered, but there are many more beers I would rather spend my money on. A unique enough taste that I would recommned trying this one.

Onibubba, Jan 11, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Originally reviewed on October 27, 2006. 750mL. Wispy aroma of tart bananas, almond paste and lemon rind. Wispy and very sweet smelling. Phenolic in a good way. Bright. Pour of golden hue, with super creamy fine froth, off-white. Flavor is a bold fresh spicy lemon zinger and bright white teas. The estery attitude bowls over the rising alcohol notes in a furious percolating battle for top spot. The gentle pale fruits of pear wine, cinnamon bark, plum sauce and Meyer lemons steep in a sweet syrup. A floral bouquet grabs the sugars and balances with a firm slap. A nice rendition, with great complexity, smooth drinking and lucious character.

CharlesDarwin, Dec 15, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

I am not very familiar with the Bière de Garde yet. I have had a few, and this one is different from the American representations that I have had. This beer is remarkable approachable and easy going.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful light gold with a mountainous rocky white head that lasts and lasts. When it finally fades [in my tulip glass] it leaves behind walls of lace. There is a tremendous amoutn of carbonation energy in this beer. A stream of bubbles rising from the nucleus point in the glass and dozens of addition streams of carbonation fueling and sustaining the head.

Smell: This is a unique aroma because it reminds me a lot of a the yeasty character of Belgian Ales but toned down a notch with the malty fruit attribute of a blond making it surprisingly approachable. Further inspection reveals some earthy vinous notes as well.

Taste: Sweet lightly toasted buttery malts with fruity esters, honey a squirt of orange juice and plenty of boozy sugars [rum like]. Vanilla and cloves are flavors the seem to emerge after the beer is through the palate it seems they were left on my cheeks and seep back out on to my taste buds, creating a seemingly never ending flavor. yum. The after aftertaste has a mutually sweet yeast character and dry farmhouse attribute that simply leaves me moving on to think about mouthfeel.

Mouthfeel: It is quite carbonated and fluffy in the mouth. At first I wasn't sure I liked it but as I figured out the small sip three step swirl it in the mouth a bit and swallow routine, I found the over carbonated body entertaining.

Drinkability: This is certainly a complex beer with plenty of enjoyable flavors but is it drinkable? Well, it is not a party beer but at dinner a few glasses will go down *very* easily.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Nov 18, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -16.5%

The colour is golden yellow. The gigantic white head is compact, the lacing is intensive.

The smell got a yeasty note of wheat dough, American hops and band aids.

The taste is relatively mild and earthy with a mild bitterness. The aftertaste is mild with some yeast.

The carbonation is medium strong with medium sized tickling bubbles.

bark, Oct 29, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a clear gold with a bubbly white head. Plenty of carbonation keeps this well retained. A thick coating of lacing is left behind as the beer is drunk.

S - Green apples, pear, clove, phenols, pepper, slight farmyard.

T - An initial fruitiness with a dry backbone becomes spicy toward the middle. The farmyard character makes a brief appearance at this point along with some pear. This finish is dry/sweet, with clove and alcohol spice (although it isn't overbearing).

M - Medium body and lively carbonation. Mouthfeel is incredibly creamy.

D - The high carbonation hinders the drinkability, but overall this is a fantastic beer.

haz77, Oct 23, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

750 ml bottle with a funky wired cork. I didn't have a problem with the wire, it was actually the cork I had the problem with. I couldn't pull it out, so I decided to take it out with one of those wine corks and pull it out like a fancy bottle of French wine. It worked! I found out that 3 Monts is named after the 3 hills that surround the village and provide the only point of view in the rather flat landscape of the Flanders region of France. The large oval label shows that. It shows a picturesque landscape of those open fields on the 3 hills as well as 4 trees, a windmill, and a small French village in the background. It would have been better if they put more color in it than the dull yellowish brown color they have. There is a medium sized back label that has the Govt. warning and an order #, which mine is Order # 3038. I guess the back label means more to the distributor than to the drinker. A date would have been better, but not all bottles can have that.

Appearance: When poured into an oversized wine glass, the beer was an extremely nice golden amber color. The label wasn't lying when it said it was going to be a Golden Ale. When it was poured, the beer was nothing but a pearl white head of foam. When it finally settled down, the beer still had that nice head of pearl white foam, as well as white foamy rings and plenty of pearl white lace around the glass. A small skim of that foam still remains after the beer is almost all gone. It doesn't seem to want to leave. I can't say enough good things about this appearance.

Smell: I like the aroma of this beer, but there really wasn't much going on there. What was there was bread malts in the beginning, juicy fruits in the middle (which notably the most predominate aroma was the golden delicious apple), and a very subtle aroma of pepper, citrus hops, and some yeast at the end.

Taste: If you smelled this beer then you'll know what it tastes like. The taste flavors are in the same exact order and the aroma flavors. The bready malts in the beginning, the ton of juicy fruits in the middle, and the pepper, citrus hops, and yeast at the end. There was only one small difference between the smell and the taste was that the taste was very dry. I took a short break from this beer and put the rest of the beer in the fridge. When I poured the rest into the glass, it tasted almost exactly like a dry white wine. If you did what I did then you could probably confuse people that this is a dry white wine, only if they didn't look at it.

Mouthfeel: When I read that this beer clocks in at a 8.5% ABV, I thought this beer doesn't even show a lick of that ABV. Hell, after drinking more than half the bottle, I couldn't even feel it go to work. I don't know how they did it, but they did it. Other than it being very sneaky, there was only a very subtle aftertaste of citrus fruits. It was there, then it wasn't.

Drinkability: I'd say it's about damn time I decided to open this beer up. I don't know how long I've had this, but it's been at least a couple of months. I don't know what I was waiting for, but I'm glad I decided to open it. If you can get past their wired cork, then you're in for a nice treat. If you like a beer than can turn into a dry white wine, then by golly pick this one up.

AltBock, Oct 09, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

750ml bottle, with metal pin holding the cork in place. Took some effort to open it. But it was worth it.

Clear, yellow, beer, with a fluffy white head.

Gamey aroma, almost brie-like, nutty. Warms to honeycomb, floral hop.

Initial flavours of complex specialty malts, cereal grains, grassy hop. Honeycomb again evident as it warms. Musky, bubblegum ester, tropical fruit. Buttery aftertaste, with a hint of cashew.

Big effervescent explosion, medium creamy body. Medium bitterness, and subtle alcohol heat.

At $12 AUD, this is very good value. Would make a more than suitable substitute for a chardonnay at the meal table.

vancurly, Oct 07, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +2%

Weird-ass cork on this 750ml. Forget what I paid for it.. $6 I think. Easy pour with a very fluffy head, kinda reminiscient of a slurpee after you've sucked all the syrup out of the bottom. Lots of carbonation. Very pale, very clear. Still about an inch of bubbles a minute after pouring.

Smells like a stinky wet dog. Nothing tos peak of here. I think I'm in for something watery. Might as well get started before it goes flat.

Deceptive start. Foam tickles the tongue. There.. got rid of some of it. Sweet and tart/sour, with just enough hops to round things out. Very interesting. Excellent creamy mouthfeel. Somewhat deceptive considering the 8.5%. Reminds me of oily italian bread. None of the yeasty sugary feel I am used to from beers this strong.

The only thing I ddin't really like about this beer was the aroma, which was rather dull, if not somewhat offensive. A great beer to throw in between more complex brews like abbey and pale ales or stouts. Not utterly complex but just a very relaxing, tranquil brew with just enough of a nectary/sweet feel to keep you interested. I think I'd prefer it in a 12oz or pint bottle, but I'll just have to share some instead. :)

Lupin, Sep 13, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +2%

Pours a lovely rich golden color with a thick white head. Initial smell and taste is of that delicious farmhouse 'yeastiness' I'm so fond of in Jenlain, although much less prominent. A little spicy on the tongue. Though a little more subdued in flavor and richness that other BdG's, this is a very well balanced beer. Extremely enjoyable- almost like a Duvel/Jenlain hybrid.

fartingdog, Sep 06, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured to a golden color with thick white head that dissipated by mid-glass and left little lacing. Ironically, this is the first beer I’ve had where the head on the beer inside the bottle was bigger than that in the glass. Aroma was grassy floral hops. The flavor was more of the same, but a malty sweetness crept in to tame this down and leave a well-balanced, smooth finish. I’m not sure why this brewer chose to secure their beer with a cork and huge metal staple, but the 3 Monts made removing it worth the work.

kimcgolf, Sep 06, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

I bought this in Strasbourg, France along with the glass to accompany it. This is my first time tasting this style. It pours a lovely golden color with a thick white head which partially dissipates but leaves laces around the glass. The carbonation was going mad crazy in the glass, quite a spectacle to watch. I wasn't too impressed with the smell. The taste starts out with sweet flavors, notes of caramel and honey at first. Then it moves to bitterness from the hops which is quite nice. It has a very light mouthfeel, but the taste lingers a while after taking a sip. This beer is very drinkable.
Overall I thought this was a very nice beer. I'm not too into this style, so I don't think I will buy it again very much.

RobertDwight, Aug 19, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ripe lemon with the finest particulate haze imaginable. Like most high quality beer from this region of the world, the cap is a thing of beauty. It was huge to start, shrinking to a more manageable three fingers within the first several minutes. Chalk white in color with surface pits that cause it to resemble a torn piece of rustic bread, the foam is sticky enough to grace the glass with a respectable amount of chunky lace.

I haven't had a lot of Bieres de Garde, but most of them smell good to me in an exotic sort of way. 3 Monts is no exception. The first thing that strikes me is how spicy it is. Cardamon, clove and white pepper emanate from the glass in advance of all else. Funky farmhouse scents are at a minimum.

The flavor follows the nose directly, but fleshes it out and improves on it considerably (the drinking is so much enjoyable than the sniffing). Beneath '3 Monts' on the label are the words 'Flanders Golden Ale'. I only mention it because if there's one word that describes the flavor of this beer it's 'golden'. It's bright and sunny and golden fruity and... I don't know, it just tastes like the color gold. In the same way that some IPAs taste green and some stouts taste black, I guess.

The fruits in question are Golden Delicious apples and, especially, not-quite-ripe pears. Despite the fact that the pale malt backbone is more than sturdy, the beer leans toward bitter, dry and crisp. As is often the case, it becomes more so from the start of each mouthful to the finish. The spice load is nigh on perfect. It's aggressive enough to be the focal point of the entire beer, yet not so pushy as to limit enjoyabillity or drinkability.

The fact that the 8.5% ABV isn't completely masked doesn't bother me in the least. It's far from overwhelming and gives the beer a seriousness that only adds to its allure. The mouthfeel isn't light and airy, nor is it full and sticky. It's somewhere in between and is perfectly matched to the flavor profile. The lower than expected bubble load works; just as a higher than expected bubble load would have.

3 Monts (3 Mountains) is very good beer. Even though I haven't had enough examples of this style to speak with great authority, I feel pretty confident in saying that this one can hold its own with some of the world's best. It may not be at the absolute peak, but the Biere de Garde summit is in sight.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 21, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

Consumed at “Het Waagstuk” on the Stadswaag, Antwerpen.

Served in a 750ml bottle, drank out of a tulip 3 Monts.
Rapidly developing snow white head. But it disappeared just as quick. A few strings of carbonation run through the golden clear brew.
A dry bitter nougat like scent, honey and almond. Nicely hopped.
At first strong carbonation fills the mouth. Followed by full bodied malt, yeast and hop. Caramel like sticky evolution. Strong alcohol underlying.
Aftertaste is alcohol, pepper and yeast / hop.

Bierschenker, Jul 07, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

This must have been the most difficult-to-get-into bottle of beer that I've ever had. Maybe it's 'drunk-proof'?

Pours a bright yellow, with a fluffy white head that sticks around for quite a while. Smells almost a bit like a Pilsner Urquel -- those hops. You know what I mean. Doesn't taste much different, either. A lot more mouthfeel. Heavier body, and a bit of an alcohol bite, but this sure tastes like a relative to a PU.

DaveFL1976, Jun 06, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Doesn't taste as interesting as the bottle looks. Ther color is pale yellow. It pours with a lot of foam and bubbles smelling of flower and spices. The inital taste is dominated by a sweetness, alcohol and metal. It's followed by bread and citrus and a dry bitterness. In Sweden we have a kind of artificial candy called "foam banana" and this taste is also there. After the bottle was finished I walked around with a sour taste in my mouth. All and all it's not a bad beer but it's nothing to go out of your way for.

JanM, May 05, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

A - wow is this pale, a very pale yellow in color, however it wells up a very thick white forthy head that settles out at a finger thick

S - hmmm, a very good aroma, a hoppy, honey sweetness, balanced with a crisp clean aroma

T - WOW, really well-balanced, there is a delightful honey sweetness balanced against a hoppy bitterness, even a slight hint of berriness in back, like blackberries, i dunno maybe im crazy

M - very well balanced, sweetness, bitternes, what more could i ask for, hmm, a great beer from France, down go my predispositions

D - high, a great beer, i could drink this i much higher volumes, if youve never tried this, but have seen it at your liquor store, GO BUY IT...NOW!!!

sinstaineddemon, Apr 04, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

i think i bought this at arrowine in arlington; i've had it for a while...hope it's still good

crystal clear pilsner color with the whitest of white heads on top. it's fluffy and sudsy, but fades fairly quickly

spicy...aroma and flavor. BdGs are still my chimera but i'm not sure this is what i expected. it tastes a little funky to me, but judging by the other reviews i think this bottle is still good. bitter for a belgian; makes me think of orval

noble hop flavor and complex spicing, with ample carbonation and a decent malt backbone. meh...it's good. i'd like to get my hands on the special reserve

bruachan, Mar 12, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

Undated 750 that is corked and banded. Purchased from Bello Vino in Ann Arbor and poured into a Piraat tulip.

Clear sparkling apple juice under a tall head of white. Very strong retention with lots of webby lace. Beautiful!

The nose is a little musty with some grass and fruits from the yeast.

The medium mouth has a lot of lively carbonation and finishes very clean. Dry upfront with some tart spiceness towards some fruits and a little funk. A little chalk flavor and some wood as well. Nice dry finish with a little spicy fruit and a hint of alcohol in the finish.

A solid beer. I will be buying more in the future. I'm enjoying this with a small plate of edam which really seems to bring out the fruit notes in the beer.

ypsifly, Mar 03, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

The appearance was golden in Colour, great froth 'trying to hide up your nose' kind of head.

Smelt of honey, spice, fruity, earthy.

Tasted of pear, spices, malty, all the things you'd expect me to say.

This is just one of those beers you wish you could afford more often. I picked it up for $13.95 for 750ml which is a little too much for one beer in my humble opinion.
A very solid beer though.

Anonmatel, Feb 21, 2006