3 Monts Amber Ale On Lees - Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre

Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre visit their website
France

Bière de Garde |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: frank4sail on 08-22-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 144 | Reviews: 76

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%

Large format bottle poured into a tulip glass. Pours a golden amber hue with some fizzy off-white head that starts off billowing but quickly settles into a more manageable two fingers or so. Smells like rock candy, floral perfume, lemon rind, vinous fruit like champagne perhaps, straw-like musty hops. Palate is similarly light and floral, with some orchard fruit skin (apricot and nectarine), sour white grapes, sweet corn flakes, and more lemon discernible. The malts, yeast, and hops present in a simple, no frills fashion and I was expecting more complexity. Had to check the label to ensure I was indeed drinking and reviewing this brewer's "amber" offering. Yep. Not getting much in the way of caramel malt flavor. Light to moderate body and moderate carbonation. Finishes vinous and dry. Bit of an enigma ... Maybe my bottle was old. Would investigate further should an opportunity present.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a hazy brown tinted orange with creamy offwhite colored head, a few rings of lace on the glass.

Smell: caramel, sweeter bread, peach, mild earthiness, grain twang.

Taste: dried sweetened apricot, nectarine skin, sweetened bread, toffee, hefty earthiness, finishing with more dried stone fruit.

Medium-plus body, creamy carb, apricot jam finish.

3.84/5  rDev -4.2%

1 PINT 9.4 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a tulip glass
2011 (Price tag is dated 08/19/11)

A - It is amber colored with golden highlights. It is topped with several inches of rocky, eggshell head that clings to the side of the glass.

S - I get some faint spices, toffee, and bread. I get a little alcohol, too.

T - The taste is mildly spiced. There is a little funk.

M - It is highly carbonated leaving a prickly feeling on my tongue. Medium bodied.

O - I fear I may have had this one too long. I expected more spiciness in the smell and taste. It is still enjoyable and actually refreshing. I will have to revisit this one with a fresher sample to see if I screwed up.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter

A: Nice clear Aorangi color with a fluffy white head made if medium to small bubbles. High carbonation and decent lacing.

S: Malty, sweet, caramel and a bit of musty cork aroma that us earthy and pleasant.

T: Sweet and malty with a hint of spice from the yeast and a touch of booze. Also a bit medicinal sweetness that's something I've never tasted before, not a bad thing even though it sounds bad but just unique and couldn't explain it better. Pretty mutch very malty, bready and slightly fruity with some booze.

M: Bready sweet malt lingers with some booze but not warm. Fruit like flavors linger and make for a nice thick full mouthfeel that's gentle but unique and fulfilling.

O: A very interesting and true to style Biere de Garde. Sweet malt and slight booze balance very well and make for a very satisfying complex and unique flavors. If you see this beauty try t, you will not be disappointed and will be intrigued by its subtitle uniqueness and french farmhouse character.

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a light copper amber with a thin, white head. Smells of caramel malts, light booze, slight biere de garde mustiness, and not much else. Pretty subdued. Flavor is fairly faint as well. The simple character of the malts, caramel and toasty, is not what bothers me, rather the lightness of flavor. A bit boozy. I get a touch of fruit in the yeast. Finishes with a touch of bitterness. Flavor is a bit sticky with some lightly prickly carbonation. Overall, I'm enjoying the beer, but it lacks in presence like other stuff from this brewery.

3.81/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from Jaspers.
Pours a slightly hazy medium golden color with a huge white head that persists forever leaving copious amounts of lace on the way down my glass. Pear and plum with pepper and sweet sugar make up the bulk of the aroma. A light mineral and yeastiness rounds out the nose. The flavor is sweeter than I thought with the honey like and bready pilsner malt shining through. Light pitted fruits a touch of warming and a hint of pepper round it all out. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet slick mouthfeel. Nice brew, if it weren't a country tick I never would have picked it up, but I'm glad I did, I rather enjoyed it.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

750ml
$8.99
Sam's Marcey

3 Monts Grande Reserve pours a surprisingly clear deep golden with stream after stream of moderate sized carbonation bubble rising to the surface. A standard pour brought about a hefty, three fingers worth of microbubbled bright white head. The head eventually settled at a finger and left incredible puffy drink lines on its way down the glass. This beer looks appetizing to say the least.

Although the aroma is light it has an incredible depth. A hint of freshly husked grains is the first thing to greet my nose, this combines with a pale malty sweetness that's very candy like. The yeast brings about an incredible complexity laden with peaches, green apple, chardonnay and a slight earthy mustiness. The aroma of this beer just draws me right in, making me want a drink immediately.

The flavor follows the aroma closely. Very vinous with the mustiness coming through faintly throughout the entire drink. Mild fresh graininess mixes it up with the sweet pale maltiness. The grape character leads the way in the fruit department but the green apple and peach make solid appearances. This is a very well put together beer with a great depth of flavor.

The mouthfeel on this beer is excellent! The carbonation makes the body light and airy all the while being refreshing. There's a nice crispness and slight drying on the finish.

The light, airy body makes this beer incredibly easy to put away. I could see myself drinking this until the alcohol caught up with me. An incredible drinkability when the abv is taken into consideration.

I loved 3 Monts when I had it and couldn't find 3 Monts Grande Reserve for a long time now. Luckily I came across a few bottles and it's just as good as the original which is really saying something. The two beers I've had from this brewery leave me wanting more.

Reviewed: 6/22/08

4.25/5  rDev +6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
3 Monts Amber Ale On Lees from Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre