Cranberry Woods - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Cranberry WoodsCranberry Woods

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: MacQ32 on 04-06-2014)
Reviews by Dope:
4.06/5  rDev +4.4%

2013 batch, just released.

A: Cork explodes out of the bottle immediately, shooting foam everywhere. I filled a Duvel tulip and another glass and it continued to foam out all over my desk and floor. Slightly annoying. It's a VERY murky reddish-brown pour with an enormous (obviously) fizzy tan/red head. Loads of sediment. It pretty much looks like reddish mud. Head fizzes out very quickly, leaving zero lacing. Zero head retention.

S: As expected, sour cranberries. Acetone and even some vinegar? Lots of leathery, oaky tannins.

T: Yup, sour cranberries. Not super teeth chatteringly sour but quite tart nonetheless. Vinegary in the middle and then leathery in the finish. Cranberries linger in the aftertaste with lots of oak and more tannins.

M: Crisp and tart. Medium bodied.

O: Quite a good sour if I say so myself. Don't get too many cranberry sours, this is a nice departure. Tart and crisp, really refreshing. Not brutally sour, but not sweet either. Nice balance. The unholy amount of murk and sediment in this one does detract from the drinkability, I will note. And I do mean unholy, you cannot see through this beer even when there is just a sip left in the glass.

Dope, May 03, 2014

JakerLou, May 05, 2014

acurtis, Saturday at 10:47 PM

MB4slow, Jul 04, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from 750mL into a goblet.

The pour produces a ton of fizzy head and gives the beer an immediate champagne appearance, but it quickly dissipates. A cloudy amber body reminds me of an unfiltered apple cider and this beer looks to have the same texture. It also has an aggressive carbonation that stirs the beer up and sends bubbles to the surface and then outwards.

Cat pee would be an appropriate description here. This beer smells weird. I'm also getting nail polish or something else I wish I wasn't smelling. Then there's some light fruitiness and clear aroma of cranberries.

Certainly this beer has the cranberry flavor and a cider-like quality, but I'm still getting that funky weirdness. It's less offensive on the tongue, but I'm not crazy about it. There's some nuttiness and a white grape flavor in there too.

The same fizziness when I cracked the bottle is very evident on the tongue. The beer is more tart than sour and has a good crispness. It's pretty easy to drink.

Cranberry Woods grew on me. The smell is pretty offensive, but if you can get past that, it's light, tart and enjoyable.

ONovoMexicano, May 18, 2014

Kmlund, May 12, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -10%

GRG1313, Jul 28, 2014

trevorpost, Jun 01, 2014
3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Picked up a bottle at Holiday Wine Cellar...

Was really looking forward to this due to reviews and was excited to finally crack this one.

Well, this thing is an oak bomb. There are some cranberry notes, but all you really taste is oak, oak, oak. I like it when a beer has a nice barrel presence, but that's the majority of what this is. Yes, I know the name is Cranberry Woods, but this should be called Wood Woods w/ Cranberry.

dvmin98, Jun 17, 2014

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

ygtbsm94, Aug 04, 2014

Boston_Steve, Apr 18, 2014
3.16/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance: Strawberry-blonde, extremely cloudy and completely opaque. The beer almost appears as if it has fruit puree blended in; it has a thick appearance. A 2-3 finger creamy white head when poured that dies out completely in a matter of seconds without a trace. Lots of tiny bubbles upon close inspection. Not a very appealing beer visually.

Smell: Slightly sweet berry scent combined with that typical "sour" beer scent. The sour scent was most prevalent. I found the smell too funky and not overly appealing to me. The smell did NOT entice me to drink the beer.

Taste: Starts off acidic then the taste progresses to become mildly sweet with the flavor of the cranberries coming through and finishes with a mild funky, sour taste. Different.

Mouthfeel: Starts of with a slight tingly sensation on the roof of your mouth from the acidic flavor and carbonation, sour on your tongue and the back of your throat with a slightly dry finish. Medium body that feels kind of thick and heavy.

Overall: An interesting beer; I appreciate the uniqueness. I really had high hopes for this beer as it is relatively local to me and I love my sours. However this beer was just okay for me. It was a little too funky for my personal taste. I have had much better and do not see me ever purchasing this again.

sprat1960, Jul 16, 2014

Davepoolesque, May 04, 2014

SocalKicks, Jun 04, 2014

vermilcj, Jun 28, 2014

polishkaz, Jul 13, 2014
Cranberry Woods from Cisco Brewers Inc.