Baggywrinkle Barleywine - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Baggywrinkle Barleywine
No picture uploaded.
good

good

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Barleywine |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 12-09-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baggywrinkle Barleywine Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Not sure if this was a "bad bottle" like some reviewers have complained about, but it did explode when opened...wouldn't stop foaming for quite some time, but we did manage to get a glass out of it...

A - Massive thick tan head, heavy lacing, dead yeast cells actually on the head, impenetrable hazy murky brown, sedement everywhere

S- Sweet fruity esters (pears, apricot), rock candy, alcohol stings the nose so much that I nearly gaged when I first inhaled deeply

M - Lots of alcohol here, creamy mid palate

T - Creamy malts, vodka, toffee, pears, sour apples, butterscotch

D - This was a rough one. It grew on us by the end of the bottle, but definitely one of the hardest barleywines I've ever had.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

I've been away from the big beers for a long while but with a return like this I'm sorry I ever left.

Picked this up at the Whole Foods in Greenville, SC. The bottle says 8.2% abv however by taste alone I could easily put this around 12%. Either way it's odd though as beers over 6% abv should not be allowed in the state until 2007. Anyway on to the review.

Appearance - 3
Poured a substantial tan-colored head which dissipated after 3 or 5 minutes. Very dark-brown with tinges of orange. Light does not penetrate through my pint glass. Little to no foam left around glass.

Smell - 4
Very sweet malt aromas; cider-like

Taste - 3.5
Overall very barleywine, distinct sweet malt and a slight fruitiness. At first the beer is balanced nicely with a light profile of bittering hops, however as the beer warms this is lost to the malt and alcohol content.

Mouthfeel - 4
The expected barleywine characteristics. Heavy-bodied, medium cabonation.

Drinkability - 3.5
Overall it's a smooth barleywine with little alcohol bite, however this brew is best when cold throughout the entire sitting. You may want to use a chilled glass.

This one is best as a dessert beer.

NOTE: No bottle number, batch, or vintage present

3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

10/15/2006 $8.99 750 mL 12.00% Limited release No. 1456.

Appearance:

Pours a murky dark brown with orange highlights adorned by over 3 inches of foamy tan head, which has me worried, since I've always had carbonation issues with Cisco beers.

Aroma:

A heady mix of plums, cherries, robust sweet malts undercut by some hot alcohol presence.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Chewy, sweet burnt raisin malts intermingled with a burst of alcohol. One glass of this is ok, but I'm struggling with the entire bottle, it's just too much of a not so great thing.

4.05/5  rDev +15.7%

Muddy orange color, with a wispy white head. Coconut, vanilla, frosted fruits, chocolate, caramel, cocoa, brown sugar and cake batter in the luscious and intoxicating aroma. Big gulps reveal an enormous chewy character, with a medium body. Flavor is malt accented, yet reveals interwoven flavors of toasted oak, vanilla and coconut. Hints of banana and fig on the mid-palate, which leads to a mildly vinous, nougat and caramel like finish. I find it delicious, but in a more subtle, gentler way. Not what you would expect from such a montrous beer.

1.18/5  rDev -66.3%

This is a tough one. 8.8% abv. on the bottle. The beer was overcarbonated and had way too much butter scotch aroma and taste (Not one of my favorite things).

I didn't get a good read on the mouthfeel because I really could not get past the taste.

This beer obviously had something very wrong with it. I wanted to say something good about it but I can't. I cannot finish this.

75-ml bottle split with a friend. Label says 2002. Gold plastic around the neck. Pop the cap.

This pours a hazy orangey/brown colour witha substantial head of dirty off-white head that lasts for a bit and than dies its death. Aromas are very sweet for a barleywine, malty and accentuated with sweet tropical fruits like pineapple, and mango, as well as bubble gum notes and sticky cotton candy hops. The taste is herbal and reiny with the sweet fruit mending well with the sweet hops, this is a real sweet tooth beer. The 12% goes pretty much unnoticed and this one is nice and light and fizzy on the tongue. Drinkability is good. This one is quite interesting.

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%

The beer pours a muddy dark gold color with a towering offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a rich, malty scent that boasts of roasted and crystal malts. It's got a nice burnt toffee aroma and as well as a high alcohol kick. The taste is decent also. It has a warm malty flavor that boasts of pale, crystal, and roasted malts. It goes down easy and finishes with some residual caramel sweetness. The mouthfeel is average. It is full bodied beer with way too much carbonation. This is an average barleywine. It looks terrible, but the taste is pretty good. I think their beers are way overrated. The price is way too high for the quality of the product. It's one and done for me.

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%

My bottle was marked with # 1499.
Pours a cloudy, silty, rust-brown color with a negligible head. Smells like an English barleywine. Fruit and alcohol. Malt, dried fruit (raisins), bread, caramel. It’s a rough smell, and not as refined as I had hoped. Maybe a little age will do this one some good. Deep, earthy (almost musty) taste. There’s lots of sweetness and hop flavor. It’s heavily tilted toward the malt. There’s a lot going on in there…serious warming, yeast flavors, toffee, caramel, grain, and tons of different fruits. A little chocolate flavor too? Pretty nice balance. Thick, almost chewy mouthfeel. Again, though, this one doesn’t come together the way I’d hoped. It’s strong, and has all of the separate qualities of a good barleywine, but it doesn’t come together in a complete package. Also, the yeastiness and chocolate were a little distracting. This one is strong and tastey, but it’s not rich, luxurious, refined, and complex…those are the qualities that I look for in a barleywine.

3.05/5  rDev -12.9%

It's a 1 Pint 9.4 oz bottle. I like the bottle and label. Classy. Limited release and my bottle is stamped No. 2458. I bought this last weekend at Half Time beverage.

Okay, the appearance of this is comical for me at first. I poured it into my Duvel tulip (freebee last weekend from half time when I bought this) and the head came up and out to the point where I had a 5 inch head on a 2 inch pour. Because of the shape of the tulip it looks like a mushroom cloud. Despite the fact that the head is hanging out above the top of the glass, it's not falling down on the outside of the glass. It's sticking together so I guess that's a good sign. The glass is brand new and I rinsed it well with hot water and let it dry thoroughly, so I don't think it's the glass. To chill it I put it in the freezer for about 35 minutes. Does that make beers pour with too much head? I don't know. I kinda like this look though. I just hope it doesn't mean I'm sucking all the carbonation out of the beer. Almost opaque but I can make out that it's very cloudy and reddish-brown when held up to a light. It's taking me forever to pour this thing but I'm ready to have a taste. That head is firm and persistent. Lots of nice lacing. After a while it does fall down for the most part but stays thick and consistent enough to never let you see the dark color of the beer while looking down into the glass. The head is a nice golden brown.

Smell is plum, chocolate, maybe toasted malt and generally typical barleywine aroma that I can't figure out how to describe.

Tasty at first but I'm having conflicting thoughts. The chocolate is there for sure along with raisins. But the alcohol flavor is a bit unbalanced. I like a beer with alcohol flavor but with this one it doesn't seem to be part of the brew. It almost tastes like grain alcohol, as if it's fortified rather than brewed. After I'm half way down I don't notice this as much.

Way too much carbonation for my taste. It has the same effect hitting my tongue as it did hitting the glass- almost explodes from the carbonation.

I don't know if I got a bad one or what. One day I may try this again. But there's plenty of other barleywines out there that I know and love so I don't need to risk it anytime soon.

1.95/5  rDev -44.3%

Picked up an un-numbered bottle from Super Saver in Somerville, NJ.

First the nightmare began when I popped the cap with hardly a *fwsk* then the pour: Dark stagnant midnight topped with nada.

Scents were of a sour lemon. Reminds one of a stout.

First swigs: Not worth much more time than to say porter meets lemon juice. Oh, and flat porter. This was a disaster. Actually, I was all happy bringing a bottle to a fellow BA barleywine appreciator and I only choked down the rest of the bottle to be a manly man watching the Flyers win.

If you tell me that this was a "bad bottle" I will stand by my review because this is the third Cisco bottle that I've bought in the past fw months and if thy are all like this, I've earned the right to gripe.

Only one thing makes this situation worse: I bought 2 bottles.

Last swigs: *GAG!* Boo hoo!

4.05/5  rDev +15.7%

12/20/05- Received as a gift from BA member Spinlock.

Presentation- 750ml bottle. No dates on the bottle, but assuming it's a 2004 release, as it has been aging for a good year since it had been given to me. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Murky milk chocolate colored pour. Maybe like a thick iced tea color. Solid and quickly fading head with minor lace.

Smell- Lots of stuff going on here. Tons of caramel with some vanilla, maybe a marshmallow scent as well. Butterscotch for sure and more caramel.

Taste- Kinda like a liquid caramello bar. Lots of milk chocolate flavor mixed in with truckloads of sweet caramel. Almost brandyesque in flavor. East coast style for sure. No hops in this guy.

Mouthfeel- Heavy mouthfeel as expected. Creamy, thick and slick.

Drinkability- Wonder what this one tasted like fresh? At any rate, it was different, potent and fairly tasty and flavorful. Would recommend.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

One of the most agreeable offerings I've had in a while. Supremely underrated.

For a number of months now I've been a huge fan of the Whale's Tail Pale. Red label, limited release no. 1242. Pours a color not unlike that of a box of Domino's light brown sugar. The head is thin, disappearing, all to my dismay, too quickly..

Remarkable taste. Really, really, light. The alcohol is masked outrageously well. The flavor is simple, elegant, and refined. Not so much fruity, not so much malty, just clean and engaging. Mild carbonation.

The thin mouthfeel and superbly-masked alcohol lends a dangerous drinkability to this one; quite possibly the most drinkable barley wine I've had. Not as savory as many other barley wines, but it goes down quicker and easier than everything else in its class. This one caught me off guard, in a very good way.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to PPoitras for the big bottle.
Pours to color of rusty water with a sheen of lace. Leaves just a residual hint of lacing.
Aroma has a belgian candi malt note with some very bready tones and some caramel notes.
Flavor has a pronounced yeastiness to it that seems a bit out of place but this quikcly replaced by a doughy, grainy bread note along with some caramel and really resined and somewhat piney bittering.
Mouthfeel is highly sweetened with some cnady sugar and molasses notes with some residual earthiness. Finishes pretty dry for a BW with even a touch of salt on the palate.
Drinkability is decent but this was sort of an odd duck. Kind of a Belgian Barleywine is what I would call it. Decent flavors that were a bit bitter cold rather than warmed.

3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

bottle #0001578 fall 04 release

what a murky, muddy, brown mess.

pours solid and syrupy into my glass.. head is there but limites, the beer's body is a true sign of strength.. fortitude! lacing is so viscous and barely moves.

aroma is purely barleywine. hoppy. burnt sugar screaming out at me. toffee and licorice among layers and layers of caramel sweetness. this beer says "i dare you to drink me"

extremely surprisingly light in taste. predominant thick biscuit breadiness and vanilla cream highlights.. butter leads to a bit of maltiness and that's really it. lacking in the flavor department. good for a dessert beer though.

ridiculous thickness limits drinkability. 6 months mellowed this beer, maybe too much? will try fresh again next year. would like a little less of an ice cream mouthfeel and aftertaste.

this beer wants to be weyerbacher insanity, but goes too far in an attempt to reach that level of complexity. good substitute for a meal perhaps.

4.05/5  rDev +15.7%

Well I have sat on this bottle for a while and finally decided to sit down and drink it.
I am sampling a 2003 vintage 1pt 9 oz bottle, in a snifter at room temp. The beer pours a clear mahogany with small fizzy, frothy, beige head that fades quickly to a thin edge and surface layer. Aroma is sweet and fruity with molasses, ripe pears and plums, some caramel and a big hit of hot alcohol.
First sip reveals a fairly thick chewy body with prickly and fine carbonation. Flavor is sweet with brown sugar and ripe pears mixing with some toffee. The beer finishes fairly hot and full of alcohol, some strong warming in the belly. Definately a sipper.

Oh, the next day I had one hell of a hangover and this was the only bottle I had. I am no light weight and drink almost every nite, but this brew gave me a killer headache the next day, maybe I should have listened to the label and shared with friends.

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

This 2003 bottle has been aged in my cellar for about 1.5 years. It pours a dark hazy mahogoney color with a creamy tan head. The strong aroma is filled with oak, apples and yeast.

Each sip of this smooth medium to full bodied beer has a soft fizz that covers the entire palate. The flavor begins with notes of apple, raisin, cherry and oak. Some toasted malt and yeast are present throughout and it finishes somewhat tart leaving an oak-y taste behind.

At first pour I detected some notes of candied sugar and thought my beer went bad. However, after it settled in the glass the true flavor came through. I'm used to my barleywines being very hoppy with strong alcohol flavors. This one was a nice change and reminded me more of a dark belgian ale.

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

This appears to be 2003 bottle I got from Marty’s. It poured a hazy copper to tan color with a light tan colored head, and a lace that stays for a few minutes. The nose is a complex mix of grapefruit citrus, and a wonderful boozy aroma. It reminds me of an old scotch or perhaps a brandy. They taste has a bright sweetness up front. Almost a hard candy in it’s intensity. The alcohol hits you almost immediately. Wow this is a powerful ale. I like more hops in my barleywine. This has a great balanced mouth feel, but loses a few points in it’s drinkability. I’ll have to try this years.

4.35/5  rDev +24.3%

Opening this bottle that I got as a "gift" from Spence in CT. Pouring this into "Trusty" my goblet, it pours pretty cloudy which was about the same color as the bottle, a deep dark brownish color. It gave off very little head, but a small edge layer, and it didn't appear to have very much carbonation.

Sniffing it, it has a pretty sour smell with fruity malts (sour plums or raisins) w/ enough alcohol to burn out your nose hairs!!! Wow, it totally made me pull back!

Upon tasting it, I was afraid the alcohol would burn most of the taste away. However, I got lots of fruit flavors (plums) and some spices (nutmeg or cinammon) and very little hops if at all. The alcohol hits at the finish and destroys your palette and takes no prisoners! It has great feel, with little carbonation and a nice medium body. It was even a little chewy as they describe on the bottle and it was quite easy to drink. A 750 ml bottle is enough for any one man, and maybe even something to share with a friend...thanks Spence!!!

4.22/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a thin white head leaving traces of lace. Cloudy amber color. Hardly any carbonation. Medium bodied. Nose is alcohol with a hint of raisins. I guess the ABV is all over the place - I have limited release # 0846 and the ABV is 12%. Starts malty and sweet - no sourness, smooth finish but with alcohol overtones. Very pricey $14.75 for a 750ml bottle from Colonial Spirits in Acton, Ma but definitely worth trying.

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

This review is of a bottle I purchased in March of 2003 and cellared for 1 year and 1 month. My bottle is labeled as being 8.8% alcohol, not 10.5 as listed. It pours a deep red with a fairly high amount of carbonation, with a thin head. Aroma is full of sour fruit - raisins, plums. Has some port-like notes as well. No hops at all in the nose. Taste is also full of dried fruit and malt, with a slightly bitter middle and an effervescent finish. Some hot alcohol in the finish as well - this beer must be more than 8.8% alcohol - perhaps it strengthened in my cellar. A bit too hot to score high on the drinkability scale, although it does give a nice warm feeling down the throat. A good English-style barleywine, although I do prefer the hoppier American varieties.

1.7/5  rDev -51.4%

This is the 2004 release of their barleywine. The label has changed from the one shown and the ABV is now 12% listed on the bottle. The nose is coconut, pineapple and scotch. In fact, it reminds me of a Pina Colada with a scotch float. Mouthfeel is very syrupy. I'm trying this at about 55 degrees. Taste is exactly as it smells(think Pina Colada once again), not a good thing in my book as I hate coconut...and scotch. I'm not sure what else to say about this virtually undrinkable...drink. I hate to call it barleywine. I will drink just about aything as I don't believe in pouring beer out but this one goes down the drain.

$14.95 for a 750 ml is alot for any beer. $14.95 for this one is criminal.

4.35/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ye gods. A barleywine from the heavens. I aged this beer for about a year before opening.
The beer pours a hazy amber gold, on the dark side (in more ways than one), with a light mist of head floating atop the evil fluid.
Gigantic aroma, with perhaps more hops and malt than I can take. Very agressive, yet beconing, like a succubus. It's one of those things you know is bad for you, but you do it anyways.
Flavor is just massive. Humongous hops and fruity maltiness. Grapefruity flavors from the intense hopping, with an apple/pear/plum estery background. Slight buttery mouthfeel. Alcohol is definitely present, permeating through the hops and esters, and joining the maltiness down the gullet. Silky and seductive, then bites you in the ass when you stand up. This stuff is dangerous.

2.33/5  rDev -33.4%

Pours a hazy orange-brown color, minimal head and very little visible carbonation in the body. Aroma is strongly alcoholic, almost like a weak scotch, some light caramel and sour apple aromas in there, too. Flavor starts with some sweetness, then turns sour, then the scotch like alcohol comes in and takes over. Body was very thin. Not a very impressive brew.

Pours out dark brown with a nice light head. As for taste... this is a good beer, but I'm only giving it a 2.5 compaired to other barleywines. This beer does not, I repeat, does not justify the high price. This is a subpar barleywine in a big bottle. Maybe it will age well, but for now this is just chaos in a bottle. The yeast, grain, hops, alcohol, and fruit flavors don't know what to do with themselves. Buy any other barleywine; your wallet will thank you!

3.93/5  rDev +12.3%

Sampled from a 1 pt 9.4 oz bottle.

Appearance: Hazy amber with small white foam.

Smell: Had a cilantro-like herbal aroma, probably from some kind of hops. Also aromas of oak, sweet malt, and the smell of alcohol.

Taste: Sweet flavor, but also an earthy flavor with some oak, and alcohol. Very low hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, clean, but a little thin in the body feel.

Drinkability: Good. An interesting barley wine.

Baggywrinkle Barleywine from Cisco Brewers Inc.