Sankaty Light - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Sankaty LightSankaty Light

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  3.80% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-21-2005

4.44/5  rDev +28%

My local trader, tone77, beat me to the punch on this one! I scored a couple during a recent field trip to Pinocchio's in Media and thought that I should include him in my spree. The CANQuest (TM) is all about spreading the wealth and karma since so many have been so good to me so far.

From the CAN: This Ameri[CAN] Golden Lager is the lightest lager we've made so far. It's [sic] drinkability, crisp citrus hop elements, and smooth malty finish make it not too light but just right. Don't fall off the bluff!"

I will never grow tired of the former, auditory portion of the Crack & Glug! Bottles will never have the same cachet unless it is a caged, corked beer, but I do not open those nearly as frequently as I do CANs. For newcomers, the latter half is why I am NOT a ticker - CANs do not "tick", they merely "Glug!".

The Crack & Gllug was up to spec and I managed to produce a finger of bone-white head with limited retention in this oppressive heat and humidity. Color was a beautiful sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity and plenty of fizzy bubbles. Take that, Greg Koch! Nose smelled like all-malt (no adjuncts) and grassy hops and my heart began to go pitty-pat. I CANnot tell you the pain that I have endured at times in this madness, and especially from this style, AALs and AMLs. This actually smelled like real beer, even in a Light Lager version. Mouthfeel was actually pretty big, very foamy with big bubbles and the taste was of light malt and light grassy hops. Zounds! Finish was semi-dry and I was ready for another sip. I CANnot remember the last time that I thought that way of a beer of this style. Now, all of that said, I am not going to pack the cooler full of such CANs, however. I do not care how good it may be, I am not into Light beers. I probably could stand to lose some weight, but not by cutting back on flavorful beer. If you are accompanying me to the beach or elsewhere, I will happily put some in the cooler for you, but that's it.

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts and grains. Taste is crisp, malts, a touch of hops, more flavor than just about any light lagers. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a cut above for this style.

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a lightly hazy straw yellow in color with some very light hints of visible carbonation. The beer has a half finger tall white head that reduces to a thin film and a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate lacing is observed.

S: A very mild overall aroma for this beer. Light aromas of bready malts and just a hint of grassy & citrusy hops.

T: Flavors of grainy and bready malts with a very light amount of sweetness. There is aslo a light bitterness contributed from the grassy and citrusy hops. Overall, the beer is very well balanced.

M: Light bodied with moderate to high amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Very refreshing, very easy to drink, and very enjoyable... The low ABV makes this beer very sessionable and the lighter flavor and mouthfeel make this a great summer beer.

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

Beer review from 4/6/2012, on tap at the Lark in East Northport, NY: pours a cloudy piss yellow color with a foamy 1 finger white head that faded quickly and left decent spotty lacing.

Smells of sweet malt, light caramel, grains, floral hops, lemon and herbs; sweet and grainy overall, but the aroma just doesn't have any major accents or highlights to it...it's pretty dull.

Flavor is also pretty dull, with sweet malt, corn, light caramel, grains, light floral hops, lemon and herbs; typical lager flavor, but if this is from a "craft brewer" then it's a failure as it is just blah and almost devoid of hops that the craft movement is known for.

Mouthfeel is light, creamy and smooth, with very mild carbonation, a medium body and a grainy finish; extremely drinkable, this flows down like a 7-UP.

To me this beer basically sucked as a “beer experience” as I don’t see the point of a micro-brewery creating competition for Coors Light, Bud Light and Amstel Light; this was on par with a macro brewed light beer, and while the flavor was above average I just don’t understand why this beer exists. If you like this style then go for a Budweiser or another beer that you can find in a 7-11 or any gas station across America. This may seem like a harsh review, but it based on principal more than flavor. Perhaps this is helping Cisco fund it’s other beers as that’s the only reason I can think of for producing this drink.

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

3.52/5  rDev +1.4%

Had never seen this before and ordered one without really even knowing what it was. Something about Whale's in a red can. A light lager...egads!
Pours an ultra-pale straw color that even has that fain greenish tinge most light beers do. Lots of foam though.
Smell's like a full-flavored American lager, though. No issues there.
Wow - it has some flavor, too! Mild pale malts, a faint hop note, and a clean, but not too abrupt finish. While fairly mild, it doesn't really ever come across as watered down.
Super drinkable and extra mild. I might get some of these for summer.
Probably the best light beer I've ever had, or at least on par with Skinny Dip. Better than a lot of Int'll. macro lagers and a fair number of US "premium" macros, too.
While my score isn't that high, it just comes down to reviewing to style in this case. Still, this isn't not bad at all!

3.51/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Pale yellow with lots of visible carbonation and a nice creamy inch of white head and some soapy lace.

Light grainy aroma with a little bit of lemon in the background and little bit of grassy hops. Similar to the aroma this has a nice grainy flavor to start and a little bit of bitter hops to finish. It's actually pretty tasty.

The body is nice and light with good carbonation. I can't help to compare this to the big boys. Yes, this is a light lager but there's a heck of a lot more flavor to it. Not a world class beer, but one I'm sure I'll enjoy around campfires in the summer.

Sankaty Light from Cisco Brewers Inc.