Indie Pale Ale - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Indie Pale AleIndie Pale Ale

good

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Finally an American IPA from us. This beautiful red-orange ale has a full malty body balanced by a fruity apricot/grapefruit nose. Mounds of dank Summit hops in the whirlpool and dry-hop additions provide a delicious finish to this East meets West-coast ale.

(Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 12-26-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Indie Pale Ale Alström Bros

cstowell21, Jan 27, 2014

JHendu, Apr 11, 2013

beernads, May 08, 2013

Jlivecc, Jan 21, 2014

lostinfla, Apr 15, 2013
2.03/5  rDev -44.4%

In all fairness to Cisco, I had one of these after 2 of my favorate double IPAs, so my taste buds may have been numbed. I found Cisco's Indie Pale Ale very carbonated, gassy, dry and relatively flavorless. It has the characteristic bitterness of an IPA, but not the fullness of body and flavor.

BlackFitzwilliam, Apr 01, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -42.5%

12 oz. bottle. No bottle date.

Dark copper body with bronze edges. Finger of thick, creamy, light khaki head. A darker IPA. Butterscotch and soapy hops on the nose. Smells off and/or old. Just bought this from a very reputable beer store though...

Toasted malt and slightly tart citrus up front. Tartish fruit and butterscotch malt fill in. Slightly resinous, citrusy hop bitterness picks up. Finish is drier. Light-medium body with a thin, watery feel. Meh to bad. Can't really tell if this is infected (might be slightly), but it's definitely not good.

alexgash, Sep 01, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

Noelito76, Sep 20, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -37.5%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy light tea color with a small off white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is subdued - some sweet (almost nutty) caramel malt with a little melon and some grassy hops.

The flavor is off to me - a little sweet caramel malt and a lot of metallic hops that leave a tarry aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and kind of watery.

Overall, it's got a good amount of bitterness, but the flavors taste very off to me.

Beaver13, Jul 14, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -37%

12oz bottle from a $12 sixer, what a mistake. I liked the cisco bombers I had so I took a chance. Dark orange color, good head and lace. Smells a little hoppy but mostly breast malts. Flavor is very bitter but almost metallic and the alcohol is noticeable. Overall I did nit care for this and one day I will learn not to buy east coast IPA's, they suck.

ArrogantB, Sep 28, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -35.6%

Grabbed a single can to tick...
No freshness date on here...
Served in a nonic.

Dark, rusty, coppery colored body with a big fluff of head rising nearly 3 fingers but settling rather abruptly into a thin film. Some spotty chunks of lace were left behind. Too dark for my taste, though not bad looking in its own right.

So this is an American IPA? I would have guessed English...

Caramel and toffee with some toasty bready malt. Very mild hoppiness.
Very mild bitterness too.
Quite dry finish. Roasty malts dry.

Feels medium bodied and decently carbonated.

Overall-- I don't know if this is a mediocre beer or I got an old can... Sadly, the lack of any kind of freshness dating means that this review will stand until I try this beer again.

AleWatcher, Nov 04, 2012
2.36/5  rDev -35.3%

Johnct, Aug 07, 2014
2.45/5  rDev -32.9%

Cisco Indie Pale Ale had a rough start from the time the cap came off. The bottle began to foam out the neck (after being refrigerated for a day) and took about two minutes to relax. While only about 2 ounces of the 22oz. bottle foamed out, it raised questions on sanitation of the equipment at the brewery. The beer poured a nice orange, unfiltered, cloudy color with an ivory head of large bubbles. The smell had a strong aroma of floral hops and a slightly sour note on the back of the nose. The taste was dominated by the bitterness of the hops and was not balanced well. Now, as a home brewer and a huge IPA fan I appreciate a good hop-bomb IPA, but I also know a good beer is balanced. This IPA, as described well by my wife, was as if a few guys were home brewing in their yard and tried to figure out how many hops they could shove in to a batch. Now, I am not here to bash a brew; this beer had a nice body and was as drinkable as a deep IPA can be (a few of these and it's nap time). I would like to see better balance in this beer; the choice of hops for Indie Pale Ale is unique and flavorful, and a balanced malt character would make this a true must-try brew. However, as it stands, a few sips of this beer tell the story.

DevilDogBeer, Aug 08, 2009

Robeerto89, Jul 16, 2012

Goldfishman, May 21, 2012

jk3, Feb 05, 2012

Cris4545, Mar 05, 2014

OUJayhawk1799, Sep 14, 2013

robmoak, Nov 13, 2012
2.54/5  rDev -30.4%

Maybe it's the summit hops, but I just don't like the taste of this brew. Dank is a good description for the hops. Not a lot going on here besides the grapefruit like bitterness. I bought a 12 pack and it's a bit of a chore to drink. Suffice to say, a 12 pack is enough to satisfy my curiosity of the brew.

LarryV, Aug 06, 2014
2.54/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured into pint glass. Slightly hazy copper. Thin off-white head, with some lacing.

Nose is super sweet. Sugar and hops. Ethanol.

Taste is not great. Un-balanced hops. Grains and metal. Kind of artificial and chemically tasting.

Can't recommend this one.

shivtim, Feb 12, 2014
2.55/5  rDev -30.1%

Served in a flared pokal at Bliss.

Always good to see a new brewery come to the area. (Though I've already had a couple o' these guys, thanks to my time in NoVa...) This "first impression" pours a hazy sunset goldenrod topped by over a finger of very lightly off-white foam. The nose is initially a blast of slightly dank onions, followed by a wave of musty wheat, then one of light lemon zest and sweetgrass. Hoofah, this stuff does not treat my 'strils well at all. The taste tones the onions down a notch, but not enough for it to matter all that much. The wheat and citrus are still there as well, slightly stronger, but they can't quite balance out the onion. Damn shame, really. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda dry finish. Overall, I was not at all a fan of this brew. ...That's all I've got...

TMoney2591, Nov 14, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -27.4%

12oz bottle taken home from the American Craft Beer Fest and poured into my Duvel tulip.

Indie Pale Ale pours a somewhat hazy amber, with tangerine spots around the edge of the beer when held up to light. There's about three fingers of ivory foam forming the beer's head, and it hangs around for a quick minute before fading and leaving spotty lacing. Especially as the beer warms, the advertised "mounds of dank Summit hops" come through in the nose, and for someone who gets a pronounced onion flavor/aroma from Summit hops, this isn't a good thing. If I strain I can appreciate a little bit of tropical fruits and even mint (I've seen other name mint in reviews of IPAs before, but never found it myself until this beer). Still though, onion is the predominant aroma. It's still in charge, but a little less dominant in the flavor. I can definitely appreciate some tropical fruits, mangoes and peaches. The bitter onion aftertaste that lingers though drops the flavor score below average. The body is fine, mid to light for the style, but the carbonation is just a little bit too dull. I hate to come down this hard on a beer for something that's more a matter of individual preference than execution of style, but I just can't get past what Summit hops do to a beer for me.

axeman9182, Jun 13, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -25.2%

Label says best before date printed on bottle. Be damn if I can find any date on the bottles of the six pack I purchased.

Pours a dark orange amber with some sediment stirring in the beer. A nice head forms and slowly settles to a thin cap. Quite a bit of lacing is left down the glass.

First impression of the aroma tells me this is an old IPA with too much caramel/crystal malt. Not picking up any hop aromas.

Definitely old. Cisco just appeared on my local store shelves so I assumed it was fresh. Also shame on Cisco for not making sure their bottles are properly dated before they left the brewery. That is why I am going to review it and give it the score this example deserves. Kind of tastes like a beginner homebrew. The bitterness is there, but none of the hop flavor payoff. Too much caramel malt as well. A little alcohol is noticed in the finish.

Good carbonation and the body feels substantial. Nice soft texture. Too bad this could not be paired with a better beer.

Will be the last Cisco beer I buy. Send fresher product to your new markets and make sure your bottles are dated. If it was dated and I bought old product, then shame on me and the retailer.

morimech, Oct 20, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

Nickfellow007, Aug 14, 2012
Indie Pale Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.