Indie Pale Ale - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Indie Pale AleIndie Pale Ale

good

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 12-26-2007

Finally an American IPA from us. This beautiful red-orange ale has a full malty body balanced by a fruity apricot/grapefruit nose. Mounds of dank Summit hops in the whirlpool and dry-hop additions provide a delicious finish to this East meets West-coast ale.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Indie Pale Ale Alström Bros

2.11/5  rDev -42.5%

In all fairness to Cisco, I had one of these after 2 of my favorate double IPAs, so my taste buds may have been numbed. I found Cisco's Indie Pale Ale very carbonated, gassy, dry and relatively flavorless. It has the characteristic bitterness of an IPA, but not the fullness of body and flavor.

2.12/5  rDev -42.2%

12 oz. bottle. No bottle date.

Dark copper body with bronze edges. Finger of thick, creamy, light khaki head. A darker IPA. Butterscotch and soapy hops on the nose. Smells off and/or old. Just bought this from a very reputable beer store though...

Toasted malt and slightly tart citrus up front. Tartish fruit and butterscotch malt fill in. Slightly resinous, citrusy hop bitterness picks up. Finish is drier. Light-medium body with a thin, watery feel. Meh to bad. Can't really tell if this is infected (might be slightly), but it's definitely not good.

2.14/5  rDev -41.7%

Had at Boston Logan in a bottle at Cisco pub. It was damned near awful. It was really disappointing. Just some musty muted hop flavor with no depth or balance from the malt bill. The nose was similar, not much going on, and what was going on struck me as stale. Shoulda had the Lagunitas at the other bar. I did not enjoy it and will not have it again.

This is mostly a reminder to myself to avoid Cisco if I see them again. I had been in another pub of theirs once and I recall it being very average, and I am all about supporting local beer everywhere if is is decent. This supposed IPA they gave me today was not decent. I can only hope that it was somehow degraded from what it was supposed to be.

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

2.32/5  rDev -36.8%

12oz bottle from a $12 sixer, what a mistake. I liked the cisco bombers I had so I took a chance. Dark orange color, good head and lace. Smells a little hoppy but mostly breast malts. Flavor is very bitter but almost metallic and the alcohol is noticeable. Overall I did nit care for this and one day I will learn not to buy east coast IPA's, they suck.

2.33/5  rDev -36.5%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy light tea color with a small off white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is subdued - some sweet (almost nutty) caramel malt with a little melon and some grassy hops.

The flavor is off to me - a little sweet caramel malt and a lot of metallic hops that leave a tarry aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and kind of watery.

Overall, it's got a good amount of bitterness, but the flavors taste very off to me.

2.36/5  rDev -35.7%

Grabbed a single can to tick...
No freshness date on here...
Served in a nonic.

Dark, rusty, coppery colored body with a big fluff of head rising nearly 3 fingers but settling rather abruptly into a thin film. Some spotty chunks of lace were left behind. Too dark for my taste, though not bad looking in its own right.

So this is an American IPA? I would have guessed English...

Caramel and toffee with some toasty bready malt. Very mild hoppiness.
Very mild bitterness too.
Quite dry finish. Roasty malts dry.

Feels medium bodied and decently carbonated.

Overall-- I don't know if this is a mediocre beer or I got an old can... Sadly, the lack of any kind of freshness dating means that this review will stand until I try this beer again.

2.36/5  rDev -35.7%

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

Cisco Indie Pale Ale had a rough start from the time the cap came off. The bottle began to foam out the neck (after being refrigerated for a day) and took about two minutes to relax. While only about 2 ounces of the 22oz. bottle foamed out, it raised questions on sanitation of the equipment at the brewery. The beer poured a nice orange, unfiltered, cloudy color with an ivory head of large bubbles. The smell had a strong aroma of floral hops and a slightly sour note on the back of the nose. The taste was dominated by the bitterness of the hops and was not balanced well. Now, as a home brewer and a huge IPA fan I appreciate a good hop-bomb IPA, but I also know a good beer is balanced. This IPA, as described well by my wife, was as if a few guys were home brewing in their yard and tried to figure out how many hops they could shove in to a batch. Now, I am not here to bash a brew; this beer had a nice body and was as drinkable as a deep IPA can be (a few of these and it's nap time). I would like to see better balance in this beer; the choice of hops for Indie Pale Ale is unique and flavorful, and a balanced malt character would make this a true must-try brew. However, as it stands, a few sips of this beer tell the story.

2.54/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a flared pokal at Bliss.

Always good to see a new brewery come to the area. (Though I've already had a couple o' these guys, thanks to my time in NoVa...) This "first impression" pours a hazy sunset goldenrod topped by over a finger of very lightly off-white foam. The nose is initially a blast of slightly dank onions, followed by a wave of musty wheat, then one of light lemon zest and sweetgrass. Hoofah, this stuff does not treat my 'strils well at all. The taste tones the onions down a notch, but not enough for it to matter all that much. The wheat and citrus are still there as well, slightly stronger, but they can't quite balance out the onion. Damn shame, really. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda dry finish. Overall, I was not at all a fan of this brew. ...That's all I've got...

2.57/5  rDev -30%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into pint glass. Slightly hazy copper. Thin off-white head, with some lacing.

Nose is super sweet. Sugar and hops. Ethanol.

Taste is not great. Un-balanced hops. Grains and metal. Kind of artificial and chemically tasting.

Can't recommend this one.

2.58/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Maybe it's the summit hops, but I just don't like the taste of this brew. Dank is a good description for the hops. Not a lot going on here besides the grapefruit like bitterness. I bought a 12 pack and it's a bit of a chore to drink. Suffice to say, a 12 pack is enough to satisfy my curiosity of the brew.

2.64/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Lacked flavor to give it a place in top IPAs

2.64/5  rDev -28.1%

12oz bottle taken home from the American Craft Beer Fest and poured into my Duvel tulip.

Indie Pale Ale pours a somewhat hazy amber, with tangerine spots around the edge of the beer when held up to light. There's about three fingers of ivory foam forming the beer's head, and it hangs around for a quick minute before fading and leaving spotty lacing. Especially as the beer warms, the advertised "mounds of dank Summit hops" come through in the nose, and for someone who gets a pronounced onion flavor/aroma from Summit hops, this isn't a good thing. If I strain I can appreciate a little bit of tropical fruits and even mint (I've seen other name mint in reviews of IPAs before, but never found it myself until this beer). Still though, onion is the predominant aroma. It's still in charge, but a little less dominant in the flavor. I can definitely appreciate some tropical fruits, mangoes and peaches. The bitter onion aftertaste that lingers though drops the flavor score below average. The body is fine, mid to light for the style, but the carbonation is just a little bit too dull. I hate to come down this hard on a beer for something that's more a matter of individual preference than execution of style, but I just can't get past what Summit hops do to a beer for me.

Indie Pale Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.