Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Indie Pale Ale - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Indie Pale AleIndie Pale Ale

good

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 12-26-2007

Finally an American IPA from us. This beautiful red-orange ale has a full malty body balanced by a fruity apricot/grapefruit nose. Mounds of dank Summit hops in the whirlpool and dry-hop additions provide a delicious finish to this East meets West-coast ale.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Indie Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.11/5  rDev -43.4%

In all fairness to Cisco, I had one of these after 2 of my favorate double IPAs, so my taste buds may have been numbed. I found Cisco's Indie Pale Ale very carbonated, gassy, dry and relatively flavorless. It has the characteristic bitterness of an IPA, but not the fullness of body and flavor. (294 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -43.2%

12 oz. bottle. No bottle date.

Dark copper body with bronze edges. Finger of thick, creamy, light khaki head. A darker IPA. Butterscotch and soapy hops on the nose. Smells off and/or old. Just bought this from a very reputable beer store though...

Toasted malt and slightly tart citrus up front. Tartish fruit and butterscotch malt fill in. Slightly resinous, citrusy hop bitterness picks up. Finish is drier. Light-medium body with a thin, watery feel. Meh to bad. Can't really tell if this is infected (might be slightly), but it's definitely not good. (556 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -42.6%

Had at Boston Logan in a bottle at Cisco pub. It was damned near awful. It was really disappointing. Just some musty muted hop flavor with no depth or balance from the malt bill. The nose was similar, not much going on, and what was going on struck me as stale. Shoulda had the Lagunitas at the other bar. I did not enjoy it and will not have it again.

This is mostly a reminder to myself to avoid Cisco if I see them again. I had been in another pub of theirs once and I recall it being very average, and I am all about supporting local beer everywhere if is is decent. This supposed IPA they gave me today was not decent. I can only hope that it was somehow degraded from what it was supposed to be. (702 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -37.8%

12oz bottle from a $12 sixer, what a mistake. I liked the cisco bombers I had so I took a chance. Dark orange color, good head and lace. Smells a little hoppy but mostly breast malts. Flavor is very bitter but almost metallic and the alcohol is noticeable. Overall I did nit care for this and one day I will learn not to buy east coast IPA's, they suck. (353 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -37.5%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy light tea color with a small off white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is subdued - some sweet (almost nutty) caramel malt with a little melon and some grassy hops.

The flavor is off to me - a little sweet caramel malt and a lot of metallic hops that leave a tarry aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and kind of watery.

Overall, it's got a good amount of bitterness, but the flavors taste very off to me. (492 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -36.7%

Grabbed a single can to tick...
No freshness date on here...
Served in a nonic.

Dark, rusty, coppery colored body with a big fluff of head rising nearly 3 fingers but settling rather abruptly into a thin film. Some spotty chunks of lace were left behind. Too dark for my taste, though not bad looking in its own right.

So this is an American IPA? I would have guessed English...

Caramel and toffee with some toasty bready malt. Very mild hoppiness.
Very mild bitterness too.
Quite dry finish. Roasty malts dry.

Feels medium bodied and decently carbonated.

Overall-- I don't know if this is a mediocre beer or I got an old can... Sadly, the lack of any kind of freshness dating means that this review will stand until I try this beer again. (745 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -33.5%

Cisco Indie Pale Ale had a rough start from the time the cap came off. The bottle began to foam out the neck (after being refrigerated for a day) and took about two minutes to relax. While only about 2 ounces of the 22oz. bottle foamed out, it raised questions on sanitation of the equipment at the brewery. The beer poured a nice orange, unfiltered, cloudy color with an ivory head of large bubbles. The smell had a strong aroma of floral hops and a slightly sour note on the back of the nose. The taste was dominated by the bitterness of the hops and was not balanced well. Now, as a home brewer and a huge IPA fan I appreciate a good hop-bomb IPA, but I also know a good beer is balanced. This IPA, as described well by my wife, was as if a few guys were home brewing in their yard and tried to figure out how many hops they could shove in to a batch. Now, I am not here to bash a brew; this beer had a nice body and was as drinkable as a deep IPA can be (a few of these and it's nap time). I would like to see better balance in this beer; the choice of hops for Indie Pale Ale is unique and flavorful, and a balanced malt character would make this a true must-try brew. However, as it stands, a few sips of this beer tell the story. (1,236 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a flared pokal at Bliss.

Always good to see a new brewery come to the area. (Though I've already had a couple o' these guys, thanks to my time in NoVa...) This "first impression" pours a hazy sunset goldenrod topped by over a finger of very lightly off-white foam. The nose is initially a blast of slightly dank onions, followed by a wave of musty wheat, then one of light lemon zest and sweetgrass. Hoofah, this stuff does not treat my 'strils well at all. The taste tones the onions down a notch, but not enough for it to matter all that much. The wheat and citrus are still there as well, slightly stronger, but they can't quite balance out the onion. Damn shame, really. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda dry finish. Overall, I was not at all a fan of this brew. ...That's all I've got... (850 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into pint glass. Slightly hazy copper. Thin off-white head, with some lacing.

Nose is super sweet. Sugar and hops. Ethanol.

Taste is not great. Un-balanced hops. Grains and metal. Kind of artificial and chemically tasting.

Can't recommend this one. (258 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Maybe it's the summit hops, but I just don't like the taste of this brew. Dank is a good description for the hops. Not a lot going on here besides the grapefruit like bitterness. I bought a 12 pack and it's a bit of a chore to drink. Suffice to say, a 12 pack is enough to satisfy my curiosity of the brew. (306 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -29.2%

12oz bottle taken home from the American Craft Beer Fest and poured into my Duvel tulip.

Indie Pale Ale pours a somewhat hazy amber, with tangerine spots around the edge of the beer when held up to light. There's about three fingers of ivory foam forming the beer's head, and it hangs around for a quick minute before fading and leaving spotty lacing. Especially as the beer warms, the advertised "mounds of dank Summit hops" come through in the nose, and for someone who gets a pronounced onion flavor/aroma from Summit hops, this isn't a good thing. If I strain I can appreciate a little bit of tropical fruits and even mint (I've seen other name mint in reviews of IPAs before, but never found it myself until this beer). Still though, onion is the predominant aroma. It's still in charge, but a little less dominant in the flavor. I can definitely appreciate some tropical fruits, mangoes and peaches. The bitter onion aftertaste that lingers though drops the flavor score below average. The body is fine, mid to light for the style, but the carbonation is just a little bit too dull. I hate to come down this hard on a beer for something that's more a matter of individual preference than execution of style, but I just can't get past what Summit hops do to a beer for me. (1,278 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -26.5%

Label says best before date printed on bottle. Be damn if I can find any date on the bottles of the six pack I purchased.

Pours a dark orange amber with some sediment stirring in the beer. A nice head forms and slowly settles to a thin cap. Quite a bit of lacing is left down the glass.

First impression of the aroma tells me this is an old IPA with too much caramel/crystal malt. Not picking up any hop aromas.

Definitely old. Cisco just appeared on my local store shelves so I assumed it was fresh. Also shame on Cisco for not making sure their bottles are properly dated before they left the brewery. That is why I am going to review it and give it the score this example deserves. Kind of tastes like a beginner homebrew. The bitterness is there, but none of the hop flavor payoff. Too much caramel malt as well. A little alcohol is noticed in the finish.

Good carbonation and the body feels substantial. Nice soft texture. Too bad this could not be paired with a better beer.

Will be the last Cisco beer I buy. Send fresher product to your new markets and make sure your bottles are dated. If it was dated and I bought old product, then shame on me and the retailer. (1,176 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

Appearance- Copperish-amber colored, very thin head

Smell- Earthy, vegetal

Taste- Bitter, very metallic coppery taste

Mouthfeel- Overcabonated, prickly and astringent. Really not good.

Overall- Not at all what I look for in an IPA. Pretty much the opposite of what I think the style should be. Poorly done. (310 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a mostly clear golden color with white head. Pine, grass, and citrus on the nose; follows onto the palate. Medium bodied. Finishes with a slight hop bite. (160 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -19%

Appearance - A little darker than I like my ipa's to look. Brownish orange color with golden sun highlights burning around the edges. Head was ample and a cream white in color. Lacing is decent, but not overly impressive.

Smell - Hard to complain in this department. Heavy smattering of citrus fruits and melon, mixed in with a crisp hop and a smooth malt sweetness.

Taste & Mouthfeel - The nose steals the show in this one, cuase the taste doesn't live up to the expectations by any means. Very bitter and tangy hops are a real turnoff, as it leaves a gross twang on the back of the throat. Some faint malt and bready taste are noted, but no citrus flavor, as the bitter funk overpowers much else. Mouthfeel is medium, but very dry and biting.

Drinkability - A believe this beer is a little old, and that might help for some of the poor effort brought out by this beer. Might buy a bottle if it's fresh and I run across it again, but that shouldn't be anytime soon. (969 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured semicool in small glass.

A: dark copper, medium carbonation, buoyant head, very head with good lacing
S: aggressive hop aroma, long-lasting
T: stale, cloying; hops are overbalanced against malt
M: thin

Not that great an ipa; perhaps it had to be chilled more, maybe not (278 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -18%

Shared a bottle with my wife. The beer pours amber into my Allagash tulip. As the head forms it expands and stays. A I drink the lace sticks to the glasses edge.

The aroma is a mix of pine and citrus hops the citrus stays in the nose longer but the pine is definitely apparent in the beginning.

This is an interesting taste not what I expected. The carbonation fills the mouth and tickles the edge the gums. The taste of pine hops is the most prevalent taste a slight sweetness from the malt come through and as the carbonation subsides a lingering hop bitter remains. This is a fresh brew with a lot going on but not my favorite taste in an IPA. (649 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -18%

Burnt orange with some haze, light beige cap of fine bubbles, decent head retention and plenty of clumpy lacing. Fruity, caramel aroma, light pine. Sweetness was more prominent than bitterness until the finish, lots of caramel and fruit up front followed by some pine and alcohol. Mild warmth, medium bodied with lowish carbonation. A decent beer, but as an IPA it seemed thoroughly average, especially for a malt forward IPA. (426 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

Beer is red and mildly haze with a white head of small bubbles, lots of lacing but low carbonation.

Aroma is malty, like a barleywine...booo!!!!

Beer is thick and sweet with a mildly bitter finish but an insanely malty midpalate...what am I going to have to drink to wash this malt bomb out of my mouth now? It is cloying for an IPA, very heavy, very sweet, not a nice beer. (376 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

Amber colored and with a huge frothy head. I guess I missed the part about the is beer bottle conditioned. Doah, none the less the head was grandiose and commanded my attention. This beer was certainly rich with life.

Aroma is pineapple, with a hint of carmelized maple sweetness
The aroma of the foam in the head of the beer was rather pungent.

Taste some bubblegum, piny, pine tar, Chlorophyll, and scorched red onions.

While the Mouthfeel of this beer is rather dank, it also reminds me of a harshly bittered homebrew. exuberant carbonation.

Drinkability is suspect. This beer is over the top with it's vegetative harshness. (633 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -16.6%

Slightly hazed amber with a small yet thick and creamy off-white head. Smells hoppy...juicy citrus, apricot, and grass mostly. Maybe a little too green in the aroma. Flavors of citrus and more "green" hops balanced somewhat by a malty sweetness. Hints of a real tasty IPA shine through initially, but the bitter, almost earthy, grassy flavors (maybe the result of dry hopping) are distracting...particularly in the finish when the malt is just starting to emerge. A bit yeasty too, despite my best efforts to keep it in the bottle. Medium-bodied.

This one has potential, I think. As it is, I wouldn't be tempted to get a second... (631 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -16.6%

A: The head foams up as soon as I pop the cap off, wasn't expecting that. Afterwards, a hazy yellow brown beer pours out, with a large white head. Retention is ok, but the lacing is great.

S: Citrus hops with hints of pine start it off, but are followed by a distinct bready maltiness. The two smells really blend strangely.

T: The hops take a more front and center role in the taste. Citrus, pineapple, fruity, a bit of piney and bitterness on the back of the tongue. The maltiness provides balance, but still a bit strange. Thinking this one had something turn in it. It just smells and tastes...off.

MF: Light and carbonated well. Dry, strange aftertaste.

O: Would really like to try a bottle from a different 6pack, this tasted wrong. (742 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -15.8%

Bottle code 1152, guessing a Julian code of April 2012. Odd that the Bailey's Blonde from the same shop had a clear printed bottling date.

Dark amber color with orange red highlights, good clarity, and a fluffy head of foam that rises in a convex dome above the rim of the glass. Tons of lacing, flecks all arounf the glass, all the way down. Looks great.

Nondescript aroma, muted and faded, sadly very little to go on. A few swirls pulls out vague specialty malt and something vaguely citric. No hint of Summit dry hopping that the label mentions, but aroma is usually the first to go over time.

Mellow and flat in flavor. Nothing much to go on here too, though some bitterness and astringency are present. Light alcohol presence too, seems out of place... Feel is smooth though, in general, though the astringency gets unpleasant after awhile. Dumped the last half, will try another fresher sample if Lush puts out fresh stock on these... Sucks they're pushing old beer though. (982 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Opaque amber color. Very strong hop aroma. Very bitter tasting and not very well balanced. Doesn't get better as it warms - gets flat and kind of chalky. Modestly strong alcohol content and very strong bitter taste might go well with fish (salmon maybe). (254 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - Very hazy unfiltered golden color. Slightly off white head. The head didn't disappear quickly which was sad because this beer was way over carbonated. Even after a full pour into a glass, the head was still coming up the bottle and overflowing. A lot of lost beer before i realized what was happening.

Smell - Pine and grapefruit is what i notice first. I do catch the apricot which is mentioned on the label. Has a sweet smell to it.

Taste - Though smelled sweet, it has the bitter taste of an IPA. Good pine notes with the citrus back end. Very good balance.

Mouthfeel - Way too much carbonation. Even after it had off gassed spilling over the glass and the bottle, it still had huge amounts of carbonation.

Drinkability - Wasn't bad at all. The first impression with the pour kind of ruined it for me, but the taste made up for it nicely.

I would recommend this to IPA fans as something worth trying. I am hoping I got a bad, shaken bottle. It has a lot of flavor and good balance. (1,057 characters)

Indie Pale Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.