Grey Lady - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Grey LadyGrey Lady

good

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: jamie2dope on 01-09-2008

The name "Grey Lady" comes from the nickname for the often-foggy island on which it is brewed. This hazy, Belgian-style Wit emits a complex nose with sophisticated notes.
Ratings: 630 | Reviews: 183
1.02/5  rDev -70.9%

Terrible Terrible terrible terrible lousy

1.2/5  rDev -65.7%

I found this beer to very watery and for the most part, tasteless. The body is very thin and spices and hops hardly make a showing.

1.66/5  rDev -52.6%

Taste frightfully reminiscent of Lemon Pledge.

1.68/5  rDev -52%

Really, it looks ok and smells ok. Taste was terrible. Ended up dumping it. Just this weird tingy zip on the tongue.

Pale yellow in appearance
Smelled like a mop bucket
Tasted like a mop bucket
Mouth feel was thin with little lacing on the glass
Overall impression was that this is not for me at all
This is not my style of beer but then again this is not my style of brewery...12 bucks for a 6 pack of local brew says it all. This beer needs to stay on that little island

2.07/5  rDev -40.9%

Pine-Sol color... er, i mean, somewhat dark lemonadish in color with a loose and fluffy head that was rather difficult to generate. Oranges dominate the aroma, followed by lemons and some pepper, plus some floor polish-- the lemon kind, of course. Nice stream of bubbles in the glass, too. A real battle in the taste between the oranges and the lemons. The oranges come out on top, but not in a good way. Very little evidence of yeast or any real beer flavor: this is mostly a citrus cooler. And the beer is surprisingly flat given the bubbles. It tastes more like an orange rickey than beer-- just add ice, a swimming pool, a cheap novel and a humid afternoon. Blahblah. Pass.

2.09/5  rDev -40.3%

A: Pours a clear pale yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly to small bits of foam on the top.

S: I get the smallest hint of citrus and wheat, but mostly its smells quite bad. It sort of smells like a dirty sock. It does not make me want to take a sip whatsoever.

T: Better than I though based on the smell. A bit of the citrus comes through, but overall there just isn't much. I am just glad the sock smell is not prevalent on the flavor profile.

M/D: Light to medium bodied with decent carbonation. Just not good. Not going to finish this one, and don't normally pour beers out. I doubt it is too old since I got it in MA, but its possible.

2.13/5  rDev -39.1%

Slightly hazy straw/copper in color. Nice thick foamy white head.

Nose is heavy on spices. Cloves. Some floral notes. Interesting but odd.

Taste is off-putting. Lightly spiced water. Almost like an astringent, watered-down tea flavored with pear and nutmeg. No semblance of hops or malt.

Mouthfeel is watery.

Just not a good beer at all.

2.17/5  rDev -38%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Wow what a strange one this is. Very herbal almost overpowering. Nothing like I have ever tasted in a beer and I have had 100's. Almost like a crazy herbal, ginger mix that you just cannot get past. If you want something very strange maybe, but i just cant see this one.

2.23/5  rDev -36.3%

A- Hazy pale straw-gold body with a fizzy white head. Retention is pretty low from a cap that builds to about two fingers in size. No lace from a tiny ring.

S- Lemon/citrus peel, clove, general yeast spice and some light caramel malt. Not much going on.

T- Very thin/watered down feeling flavor that is very lemon and clove forward, which ends up giving it a citrus soda feel. There is some coriander, yeast spice, bread and light malt but none of it really offsets the dominant citrus soda feel.

MF- Light watered down body with high carbonation, you could easily mistake this for tonic water or soda.

Lemon lime soda beer, it would actually make a very nice soda, but that is the whole problem here. Too thin for any style with a flavor that is out of check. Now that I think of it, it tastes a lot like Baja Blast, an exclusive soda to Taco Bell.

2.3/5  rDev -34.3%

this beer pours a hazy gold color with a 1 finger white foam head this beer has about as much carbonation as a sprite it is way over the top.

the smell is of spices i cant place them nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander maybe even ginger

the taste is everything described above in the smell, but the aftertaste is almost like a copper penny mixed with dove soap.

the mouthfeel is a little too much of a bite for me due to the high carbonation kinda is destructive to the flavor and enjoyment of the beer

over all not that impressed

2.39/5  rDev -31.7%

12 oz bottle, no date, poured into a SA Perfect Pint

A - Pale, cloudy straw yellow with about a finger's worth of white head. Decent retention and a loose lace.

S - Light in the nose; hints of coriander, maybe a little clove.

T&M - Lighter bodied; feels almost a bit watery. Very light spicing with coriander being predominant. Very light lemon zest. I think the best thing I can say feel wise is that there is a light crispness that is somewhat refreshing, but there isn't enough carbonation and it ends up feeling a bit flat.

O - Really far too light to me. Not enough spicing, not enough citrus...feels rather watery.

2.42/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Simple, pleasant. But nothing great.

2.42/5  rDev -30.9%

The local paper labeled this as one of the landmark new England beers. Alright, let's see if this should represent my proud, beer-swilling homeland:

I poured this into a large, opened mouth glass to give it the proper Belgian Witbier-style presentation it deserves. The body was a hazy gold, looking to be full of carbonation from the bubbles inside. The head was also bubbly, airy and white.
Promising smell of citrus notes. The taste came off as overwhelmingly tart with a slight lemon-pepper peaking out. The texture was grainy and oily as it slipped over the tongue.

It looked lively and bright, but it ended up tasting quite stale and leaving a strange aftertaste. Maybe there is something wrong with this particular bottle. All and all, a little disappointed if this is suppose to represent New England beers.

2.49/5  rDev -28.9%

A: Pours a pale cloudy gold with almost no head. No head means no lace.

S: Citrus, Belgian yeast, and a hefty nose of spice: clove, cinnamon, pepper and cardamom come to mind.

T: Spiced dish water. The spices predominate, but the beer is functionally flat right out of the bottle, which kills any pleasure I might have obtained from this.

M: Very watery and flat as a pancake.

O: I am disappointed beyond belief, considering the premium pricing for this. The nose was nice, though. Maybe they ought to go into candle making instead of beer brewing.

2.54/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Happy #WitbierDay, and with the oddball warm November day here, the day for a white ale couldn't be better. From a 12 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

Looking paler goldenrod in the glass, while on top rests a semi-creamy white head which shows some head retention. It smells okay, offering vague spices, though they don't smell like the traditional witbier spices. It smells closer to ginger ale, according to my nose. Yes, I'll check my nose after the review.

Weak. Grey Lady has a watery flavor, and even then it's not exciting. I don't know what I'm tasting at the beginning...it's spicy, but why am I thinking lime and chili? The base grains offer a little creaminess and sweetness, but also bring some rough edges to the palate. Vague bubblegum as well. The beer is light bodied with a somewhat creamy texture, which is sadly the best part of drinking this beer.

Let's forget about the Grey Lady and wish everyone around you a #WitbierDay.

2.59/5  rDev -26%

A bottle, a lovely spring day, I was pretty excited. Pour had plenty of head, but that went away real fast - not an iota of lacing to be seen here. A pretty, cloudy lemon-yellow color though. Smelled first of bananas and pears, digging those esters. But the taste - I mean, of course it should be sour, and I like sour things, but there wasn't a whole lot else going on there. Definitely overpowering any subtlety on my tongue. Pleasantly carbonated and fun to drink and all - and it <i>is</i> a really nice day out - but I was a bit disappointed.

2.62/5  rDev -25.1%

A: Hazy, pale, goldish color. Small, off-white head with decent lacing.

S: A big blast of pepper and spices - hard for me to place what they are though. Coriander and allspice?

T: Wow, definitely a lot going on here. Spicy, citrusy, peppery. What's off-putting to me is it all wraps up into this weird finish that I can only describe as soapy. Bad bottle, maybe?

M: Light bodied and thin. Having a tough time describing the finish due to the above-mentioned flavor.

O: Can't quite wrap my head around this one. The aroma was very interesting and inviting, only to be let down by that odd flavor. Starting to really think I got a bad bottle. I really like most of the other beers I've tried from Cisco... Will try again when it's back in stock by me and re-review if any different.

2.63/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy, pale pale yellow to the eye. Aroma is very lemony and sharp -- almost to the point of smelling like Mr. Clean. A layer of spices underpinning the aroma, maybe including cloves.

Thin mouthfeel. Very dry finish slips away quickly. The lemon flavor shoots up into your nose as you sip. Prickly, fine carbonation. Puckery overall, and wholly dominated by the lemons for me. Best part is the mid-palate, right before the sour aftertaste, where some yeasty flavors come through.

Reading other reviews makes me realize I associate the beer's tea-like flavors with the Kombucha my wife buys.

Overall: B-

2.64/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance: the whole reason i bought this beer was the two-tone woodcut label with charming antiquarian serif fonts. Made me feel like I should be enjoying this while sitting on the veranda of my 600 year old family estate, idly petting my champion wolfhounds. In reality I drank it straight from the bottle after a run, idly wiping my mouth on my sweatshirt sleeve while watching PBS.

Smell: enticing. Like a cross between gingery lemonade and Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Taste: way too astringent and acidic up front; so much so that I made a puckery face of surprise. Softer yeast aftertaste.

Mouthfeel. Dishwater thin. The inviting spicy lemonade smell turned to overwatered Crystal Light on the palate.

Overall: a citrusy disappointment. I'll suffice to peel off the label and retreat the country estate in my mind.

2.64/5  rDev -24.6%

Reviewed 6/1/2009 (bottle 53degF):

Pours a very clear, very pale yellow colored body, looks like a cider. Small wispy head, white in color, very quickly diminishing. Effervescent aroma once swirled, some citrus and light fruit, like pear. Some funkiness too. Some funky taste, drying. Malty sweet, with a pretty clean finish. Not very flavorful. Waiting to warm. Funky fruity flavors, not my thing.

2.66/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy straw color with about a finger of quickly deflating head that leaves just a little bit of foam behind with some soapy lace.

Right up front I get a buttery aroma with some cloves and a little bit of spicy hops. Strange to say the least. Lemony flavor with a little bit of a musty fruit profile. A little bit of ginger to round it out with some spicy hops.

A decent light body with good lively carbonatino. A little bit of a sticky finish. Overall, this one is unimpressive. The flavors and aromas seem a bit off. I'd say this is one that could be passed over pretty easily.

2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

poured a not quite clear light golden color or cloudy if you swirled in the light bottom sediment. half inch head with a very little lace. first whiff smelled of peach and mild orange. taste of wheat malt and the same fruity peach and orange but what hurt the taste was the very weak carbonation. mouth feel was light but flat that just killed the whole thing for me. also not getting that coriander or spice that should be there. this beer a pass.

2.68/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I will start by saying this: I received this beer as a gift, and I had no prior knowledge of what to expect.

Upon pouring into my glass, this beer took the appearance of a wheat beer. The aroma reminded me of a spice from my kitchen cabinet, but I could not put my finger on it. I took one taste, and realized that this beer is not for me.

After reading about the brew, I realized that the ever-so-prominent spice I was observing was coriander. Which, since I cook with coriander often, made sense as soon as I discovered this ingredient.

As beers go, I'm sure this one is appealing to many. But for my own personal tastes, this one is not for me.

2.73/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a clear glass mug. No obvious freshness date. Gifted to me by my father-in-law Erv.

A: Pale, slightly hazy gold with foamy, 1-finger off-white head with minimal retention and little to no lacing.

S: The aroma is heavily spiced with coriander and overbearing clove clouding over most of the other aroma characteristics. The orange character expected in the style is more grapefruit-lemon in nature and the maltiness itself is lost.

T: The flavor is a further step backward from the aroma with a very astringent clove and coriander combination. The base beer is overwhelmed by the spices, which manage to turn the citrus component to be almost lemongrassy in character. It is overly bitter for the style as well.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation for the style but a slightly astringent feel due to the heavyhanded spicing.

O: This brew needs a de-spicing to have any chance to go anywhere -- it has way too strong of clove character which overpowers all the other possible flavors this brew may have. The coriander is also too strong and the astringency heightens the bitterness and pithiness of the citrus notes. Not a good beer from Cisco.

Grey Lady from Cisco Brewers Inc.