Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Pumple Drumkin Spiced AlePumple Drumkin Spiced Ale

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: corey0212 on 09-22-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale Alström Bros

Worst beer I ever had last year. Dumped the rest but one down the drain to save some other soul from having to endure the taste. Tried the one I saved again just too be sure and it hit the drain too. Too scared of loosing my beer palate to attempt buying it this year..... Yuck..

Was so disappointed by this beer that I created a BeerAdvocate account.
First of all, the labeling on this is very misleading - it is not a pumpkin beer whatsoever - not even a pumpkin spiced beer. It is an IPA plain and simple. I thought I had a mislabeled bottle, so I called Cisco Brewers, and they said it is "not a very pumpkin-y beer". You are right Cisco, and when I buy a pumpkin beer, that's what I'm expecting. Wish I had stayed with tried and true "pumpkinhead", which is great stuff.

I can only hypothesize that the 90-pt rating from "the bros" is because if I was sitting with a bunch of pumpkin beers, and had taste fatigue, I might find a plain old IPA to be a refreshing change. But when I come in from work for my one beer (not one of a tasting panel), this one sorely disappointed me.

I rarely - if ever say this about beer. I've been drinking craft beer whenever i can find it and found this at a grocery store near me that sells mixed 6 packs where you can choose them. This was the last one I picked out since I hadn't had it before. It was in a can, not a bottle - so maybe this contributed to the flavor of the beer - or got a bad banch of it. When i first smelled it - it smelled like it had skunked or been sour, but tasted it and it tasted just plain horrible. The pumpkin spice that its advertised as being a "pumpkin beer" was missing, and tasted very, very watered down. This was the second time I've ever poured out a beer - after my horrible experience with a 3 year old can of Narragansett Bock...it tasted almost just like that. Perhaps it wasn't fresh - or in a can like I said (I've had Cisco's Whale Tale, and Grey Lady and they're alright) but I will have to follow this up sometime in another form. I do not recommend!

1.5/5  rDev -56.3%

1.5/5  rDev -56.3%

1.61/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

A: Pours a murky reddish brown color with a one finger tan head. Looks okay at first, but when I hold it up to the light, I notice huge green floaties swirling everywhere. Eventually, they settle to the bottom, leaving a thick layer at the bottom of the glass. Uggghhhh.

S: So....it's a rum barrel aged pumpkin ale that smells like a bag of hops. Okay... A weird vegetal smell that smells like acorn squash, iron-y malt (seriously, it smells like blood), and some ammonia. Great!

T: Oh my sweet lord. What the hell is this??? Tastes like someone dragged a pill of aspirin through a litter box. Bitter with a truly horrible chalky yeast meets pet dander flavor. Leaves a gross, rotten vegetable flavor on the tongue that I don't forsee going away for at least the remainder of tonight. What a mistake. Stay away my friends, stay far, far away!

1.75/5  rDev -49%

1.75/5  rDev -49%

1.98/5  rDev -42.3%

My wife and I had a blind pumpkin ale tasting and ranked this one #7 out of the 7 that we tried.

Served in a Port City tasting glass.

A: Crystal clear, yet still opaque orange with a pretty substantial head.

S: Elmer's glue. Need I say more?

T: Really no pumpkin taste whatsoever. Seriously, I've taste Octoberfests with more pumpkin flavor than this. Still, I got lots of yeast and water.

M: Thin and watery. This is one of the more "beery" pumpkin ales I've tasted. No lacing.

O: I will not be drinking this again.

Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.