Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Pumple Drumkin Spiced AlePumple Drumkin Spiced Ale

good

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: corey0212 on 09-22-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale Alström Bros

Worst beer I ever had last year. Dumped the rest but one down the drain to save some other soul from having to endure the taste. Tried the one I saved again just too be sure and it hit the drain too. Too scared of loosing my beer palate to attempt buying it this year..... Yuck.. (283 characters)

Was so disappointed by this beer that I created a BeerAdvocate account.
First of all, the labeling on this is very misleading - it is not a pumpkin beer whatsoever - not even a pumpkin spiced beer. It is an IPA plain and simple. I thought I had a mislabeled bottle, so I called Cisco Brewers, and they said it is "not a very pumpkin-y beer". You are right Cisco, and when I buy a pumpkin beer, that's what I'm expecting. Wish I had stayed with tried and true "pumpkinhead", which is great stuff.

I can only hypothesize that the 90-pt rating from "the bros" is because if I was sitting with a bunch of pumpkin beers, and had taste fatigue, I might find a plain old IPA to be a refreshing change. But when I come in from work for my one beer (not one of a tasting panel), this one sorely disappointed me. (810 characters)

I rarely - if ever say this about beer. I've been drinking craft beer whenever i can find it and found this at a grocery store near me that sells mixed 6 packs where you can choose them. This was the last one I picked out since I hadn't had it before. It was in a can, not a bottle - so maybe this contributed to the flavor of the beer - or got a bad banch of it. When i first smelled it - it smelled like it had skunked or been sour, but tasted it and it tasted just plain horrible. The pumpkin spice that its advertised as being a "pumpkin beer" was missing, and tasted very, very watered down. This was the second time I've ever poured out a beer - after my horrible experience with a 3 year old can of Narragansett Bock...it tasted almost just like that. Perhaps it wasn't fresh - or in a can like I said (I've had Cisco's Whale Tale, and Grey Lady and they're alright) but I will have to follow this up sometime in another form. I do not recommend! (953 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -53.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

A: Pours a murky reddish brown color with a one finger tan head. Looks okay at first, but when I hold it up to the light, I notice huge green floaties swirling everywhere. Eventually, they settle to the bottom, leaving a thick layer at the bottom of the glass. Uggghhhh.

S: So....it's a rum barrel aged pumpkin ale that smells like a bag of hops. Okay... A weird vegetal smell that smells like acorn squash, iron-y malt (seriously, it smells like blood), and some ammonia. Great!

T: Oh my sweet lord. What the hell is this??? Tastes like someone dragged a pill of aspirin through a litter box. Bitter with a truly horrible chalky yeast meets pet dander flavor. Leaves a gross, rotten vegetable flavor on the tongue that I don't forsee going away for at least the remainder of tonight. What a mistake. Stay away my friends, stay far, far away! (844 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -43.7%

My wife and I had a blind pumpkin ale tasting and ranked this one #7 out of the 7 that we tried.

Served in a Port City tasting glass.

A: Crystal clear, yet still opaque orange with a pretty substantial head.

S: Elmer's glue. Need I say more?

T: Really no pumpkin taste whatsoever. Seriously, I've taste Octoberfests with more pumpkin flavor than this. Still, I got lots of yeast and water.

M: Thin and watery. This is one of the more "beery" pumpkin ales I've tasted. No lacing.

O: I will not be drinking this again. (522 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -36.3%

Aroma: Nutmeg and ginger are present along with an earthy almost rotting bark-like aroma. Some maltiness present, but not a lot. No hop aroma. Slight fruity esters as it warms. Overall mild aroma for a spiced beer.

Appearance: Gold to light orange in color. Has a fine but large white head. Very good clarity.

Flavor: Initial malt flavor but lacking in sweetness. Quickly turns to a bitter harshness. Has a very thin body and ends with an astringent and metallic finish. Not much spice is tasted beyond those off-putting flavors.

Overall: This beer is not good. To be honest it has the harsh and metallic flavors that I associate with old-style homebrew (before we really understood the need for fresh ingredients and sanitation...) Sj and I had to pour this out after a couple sips. Not a great start from this brewery, but I'd still try another of their beers before boycotting them. (888 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This pumpkin beer smells great. I popped the cap off the bottle and took a whiff and it got my hopes up. Lots of pumpkin spice comes through.

Then I poured it out into a pint glass. Once again, great appearance. That dark orange/brown that declares "I AM A PUMPKIN BEER AND I'M PROUD!"

So I took a sip...and it was informed by my taste buds that this was not a pumpkin beer, but some kind of terrible beer mixed with cleaning fluids. I kept trying to drink it, but it was just terrible. There wasn't a hint of pumpkin. Just bad beer.

I had to pour most of it down the drain. I don't know if this was a bad batch or if this was what Pumple Drumkin is supposed to be, but it was not an experience I'd want anyone to have to repeat. (732 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Picked up a sixer of this, now just wishing I opted for a single...

Pours orange/copper with 3 fingers of tan head. Nice head retention & lacing

S: All spice & vegtal notes , even some tomato & metallic notes

T: All spice, a little nutmeg, metallic notes & ever so faint squashyness. Nutmeg, pears & metallic notes as this warms. More tomato & metallic notes in the finish, nasty

MF: Prickly carbonation, thin body, thickened up a bit a as this warmed, but only slightly

A poor example of the style & none of the cisco beer's I tried as of late (purchased in Arkansas) are worth a damn. Not buying any more with doing a ton of research. The only thing I liked about this? The label...

This was fairly drinkable the other night after my tastebuds were fried, for what that's worth (785 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -33.4%

bitter flat non carbonated pumpkin tasting ale, the appearance is the best part of this ale. This is my first time drinking it and to me doesn't taste anything like pumpkin. The label I think is the best part of the beer the little pumpkin dude is the cutest little thing. (272 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasted like a big beer maker version of a watered down pumpkin beer. Understand that some may like an understated pumpkin beer, but this had almost zero pumpkin taste or spice taste. One of the worst performers in a specialty category I have tasted.

Perhaps if it was not labeled a pumpkin beer I would have liked it more, but given the expectations it was definitely a let down. One caveat is that I switched off drinking tastes of this with another brand's pumpkin beer version. The other brands pumpkin beer had much more pumpkin and spice taste which only served to accentuate such absence in the Pumple Drumkin. (617 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -29.1%

This is very, very mediocre although it is worth noting that you must let it warm up.

The appearance is a somewhat dark yet translucent amber color. Not much foam to speak of hanging around.

The smell has some spice notes, but is not very memorable at all. Fades quickly and is rather weak although as it warms a slight carmel note comes out.

The taste is very empty with slight spiciness and a nasty aftertaste.

This one is drinkable, but becomes less so because of the flavor profile. (490 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

12oz single from Total Wine. Poured into a shaker pint glass...

A: Murky, dusty copper; one finger of off white head on a stiff pour; a few splotches of lace.

S: Pie crust; pumpkin; fall spices.

T: Bleh... Watery. Not much malt or any sort of backbone; some all-spice on the end, but pretty lackluster.

M: Medium-bodied; low carbonation; no finish.

O: Never again - worst pumpkin ale I think I"ve had.

*from notes: 9/19/12 (428 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bruges glass, $2.69/bottle in RI, no listed freshness

Pour-Deep translucent amber with extra orange, large effervescence bubbles that are scarce. A two finger creamy off white head that dissipates to a thick film rather quickly. Thin fizzy lacing with minimal cling.

Nose-From the bottle it smells like musty old laundry. Definitely a malty nose, very musty. Other than that, the spices take over, which I get nutmeg, clove and maybe ginger out of. Pumpkin takes a back seat but is noticeable.

Palate-A little bit sweet at first, light sour, bitter towards the end and is the dominant sensation. A musty pumpkin flavor comes in first followed by a matching spice flavor.

Body-Medium heaviness, very little effervescence, the lack of effervescence makes it close to syrupy even though not incredibly heavy. For some reason, this is the third beer in a row by these guys I haven’t liked. I can’t seem to figure out why but this is definitely the best of the three so far. If you want a beer that balances light hops, malt and the pumpkin and spice flavors without being very sweet, yet quite subtle, this is probably something you should try. (1,149 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a spicy marginal pumpkin smell.
Appearance- The beer is a dark amber color with a small off-white head.
Taste- Has a small amount of pumpkin flavoring, not very tasty
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation.
Overall- Completely unimpressed with this beer. I have had many pumpkin beers that tasted better than this. (387 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours an almost ruby brown with kakhi-ish head. Borderline hazy. Little retention. Mildly carbonated. Some lace here and there

Smells like the typical pumpkin spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. Funky bready yeast

Tastes like drying spices. Chalky. Yeasty. There's some sweetness from the pumpkin but its more earthy vegetal than I would have expected. The spices aren't really pronounced enough...more or less just a hodge podge of powdery, almost medicinal tasting dryness

Feels chalky and dry. Bite of carbonation and spice. Medium bodied but very coating

Overall not like I remembered this from last year. Not well-balanced. The flavors don't mesh well together. No sweetness. A real letdown (700 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -25.1%

A - Poured with one finger of off-white foam on top of a clear, copper-brown body. The head settles rapidly and leaves only light traces of lace.

S - Lightly vegetal notes of squash with some cinnamon and nutmeg.

T - Brown, toasty malt up front. Some dry caramel and herbal notes in the middle with a finish of burnt toast and phenolic, but nondescript, spices.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a bone dry finish.

D - Yikes, the aroma is about what one would expect, but the flavor profile is really bland and the extra dry finish doesn't help things. Very little identifiable spice character, though there is some hotdog water like character in the background. I'm really unimpressed with this... (711 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -24%

Slightly hazy, copper colored. Relatively thin head with great retention. Really nice lacing.

Heavy spice in the aroma. I don't really like the blend of spice. Some roasted malt aroma in the background.

I'm not a big fan of the flavor in this beer. The spices are too harsh, and the bitterness is too high for this style. The sweet malt flavor is good, but unfortunately only lasts for a second as you swallow.

Medium to heavy bodied with a silky smooth mouthfeel gives way to an overly dry, bitter, everlasting finish that attacks you tongue until the next sip.

I'm not really impressed with this pumpkin ale. The spice blend is all wrong, and it's really not sweet enough. (678 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Clear orange-pink with a good amount of bubbles. Foamy off-white head is tenacious.

S: Mostly hops, surprisingly, but even those are somewhat faint. Clean, but not what I was hoping for.

T: Disappointingly, mostly malt, with citrusy hops being a close second. Pumpkin and spice flavors take a far back seat. Finish is quick.

M: Crisp and bitter from the hops, would be good if this wasn't supposed to be a pumpkin beer.

O: Not a bad beer, but not a good representative of the already under-siege pumpkin style. Don't know what happened with this beer, but you can do better. (581 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -22.6%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. 2011 bottle (I think they just started writing "3/4 Pint" on the bottles this year). Supposedly it's around 6% ABV.

Appearance: Free pour yields a 1 inch, frothy, just off-white head that dissipates slowly. Pours a semi-translucent orange and leaves a few spots of lacing.

Smell: Some pumpkin and cinnamon at first. Eventually some herbal hops come out. Pretty weak smell overall, though what I get smells decent enough.

Taste: First sip is very bready up front, moving to a light spice (cinnamon) and a suggestion of pumpkin at the end. Malt-forward for sure. Clean finish.

From the next sip on, the spices are nowhere to be found... Not sure I'd know this is a pumpkin beer were I not told by the label. Two dominant flavor sensations emerge: a lager-like yeast/malt tanginess, and some character-less bitterness. As notes among spice, hops, and malt, they would taste fine, but as the stars (and often only perceptible tastes) they are unpleasant. They're occasionally bolstered by some toast at the end along with indistinguishable spice (could be hops, could be spices). Beginning is kind of soapy.

The 6% ABV is well hidden, though the thin flavor profile leaves you asking what the 6% is doing in the first place. That's a fair amount of alcohol for so little flavor. There's occasional flashes of grassy/floral hops and cologne like notes mixing with a mild sweetness, but again, the average sip is just tang, bitterness, clean finish, done.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied. Clean finish. Perfect carbonation. Unpleasant bitterness/tang.

Overall: A real let down of a beer. Doesn't work as a pumpkin beer, but doesn't seem to want to be anything else either. I like my pumpkin beers subtly spiced, but "subtle" would be a real euphemism for this beer. (1,788 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -20%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a faintly hazed copper color. The head is a finger high, and white in shade. I'm not impressed by the retention, or the minimal lacing left behind. (2.75)

Smell: The brewers have kept both the pumpkin and spices subdued. Cinnamon and gourd only appear as subtle kisses on the nose. It's more redolent of a typical amber ale, featuring notes of caramel, wheat (wha?), and toffee. Aromatically, it's overly subdued, but not offensive. (2.75)

Taste: Follows the aroma fairly rigidly. The spices are very subtle - I can tell they exist, but I really have to concentrate. That's good, because overspicing can ruin a pumpkin ale. Unfortunately, that leaves this beer with very little: it's practically a bland amber ale with a touch of gourd, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Again, not offensive. Just really damn boring. (2.75)

Mouthfeel: To give it credit, it goes down rather easily. It isn't hampered by excess malt/spice obstructiveness, and the finish is dry and surprisingly crisp. Carbonation is medium. (3.25)

Overall: This might appeal to beginner craft drinkers, or haters of the style. It's very mild and inoffensive, with just enough of a pumpkin essence. And therein lies the problem. It's friggen' boring. It doesn't stab the palate, it just puts it to sleep. Put simply, I'd rather be drinking something else. (2.75)

2.8/5: Ehhhhhhhhh... (1,394 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -19.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an orange-ish color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that lasted a fair amount of time. Pretty good lacing.

S: A decent, but not great, aroma of pumpkin, malt, and some spices.

T: Kind of goes off the rails here. There were traces of pumpkin, spices (a little cinnamon), and malt, but they were very low. The amount of pumpkin was negligible. Simply a thin flavor, with a decidedly herbal harshness.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a harsh finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Certainly, this beer could have been better. It seems to be one of those brews that was half formed. (653 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pleasant mild aroma of roasted pumpkin with caramel notes. Taste is mild pumpkin with weak spice that fades into a predominant floral, grapefruit, grassy bitter finish. I felt like I was drinking a pumpkin IPA if there is such a thing. I cannot speak for all pumpkin beer lovers, but when I think of pumpkin beer, I am thinking of the flavor of pumpkin pie which is not bitter. (377 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -18%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter

A- orange amber, tranlucent with decent carbonation coming up from the bottom. a half finger of egg-shell white head dissipates quickly, and leaves minimal lacing.

S- unfortunately, the best part. Nice notes of pumpkin, nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a hint of allspice.

T- a bit of a sweet start, but quickly transitions into a funky mix of spice, a hint of pumpkin, floral and nutty notes emerge as well. The floral aspect comes off almost metallic and just doesn't jive with the rest of the brew.

M- light to medium carbonation, quite thin, and dry/metallic on the finish.

O- greatly disappointed in this one. It just doesn't work. (671 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pour is a healthy off white head with little lacing.

S: light brown ale presence, some lightly roasted malts and pale malt mostly with a light noble hopping, no distinctive yeast presence.

T: Brown malt and very little caramelization. Not much spicing. Most prominent is probably the cinnamon and I didnt really detect any allspice or nutmeg in here. This really is a less spiced pumpkin beer than most others that I have had. Even Shipyard's pumpkin Ale I had thought had a bit more flavor in it.

M: Light body with a medium to high carbonation in it.

O: Not very impressed. Light spicing which some may say is a plus as i have heard some people complain of overspicing, but I didn't think this was a good brown ale even. Not enough hopping, not enough flavor. Pumpkin ales in my opinion should add more flavor complexity to what is already a good brown ale. This one just didn't seem to be on that level. Not a good brown ale, not a good pumpkin ale. (962 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I have been drinking Cisco's beers since they started, but I had yet to try their pumpkin ale. On the pour everything looked great: rich amber color, really nice head, off-white in color, with fine lacing. The pumpkin aroma was very slight, and so, alas, was the taste, which was mostly a hoppy bitterness. I could only make out a little pumpkin flavor, and no spices whatsoever, as the bitterness overwhelmed. If you want your pumpkin ale to taste more like a pale ale, this is for you. But if I get a pumpkin ale I want to taste the pumpkin, and this beer didn't hold it's own in that regard. (598 characters)

Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.