Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Pumple Drumkin Spiced AlePumple Drumkin Spiced Ale

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: corey0212 on 09-22-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale Alström Bros
3.74/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Orange-gold beer with a thin foam that recedes quickly. Smells faintly of nutmeg and allspice, gourd and citrus. Taste is bready and malty with some nutmeg presence, lightly citrus, faint sweetness. Body is medium. Finish is clean. This reminds me of a marzen with a washing of pumpkin pie spices. Decent enough and not overly spiced which is a good thing.

3.93/5  rDev +12.3%

I enjoyed this pumpkin spiced beer. Nothing overpowered me, I found it to be beer with a warm friendly aftertaste of pumpkin/spices. I would buy again!

This reminded me in a very subtle way of New Belgium's "Pumpkick," given the introduction of a countering citrus - sour note in the middle-finish. Cisco does a nice job of providing deviation from the standard pumpkin-spiced seasonal, although I believe New Belgium's offering is more successful at it.

3.43/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful amber orange to red and smells like a boozy fall. This is a solid pumpkin ale and I would do again. Would have to try Pumking by Southern Tier first though.

4.03/5  rDev +15.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Beautifal Amber-red color with excellent clarity. Two fat fingers of pillowy head retain very well. Very appealing to the eye.

S: Sweet pumpkin flesh and a good dose of cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. Toasty malt base and a kiss of citric hops.

T: Earthy and rind-like hop flavors vacillate with pie spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. Touch of sweet pumpkin. Toasty and nutty malt base holds it all together. Hints of vague fruit. Pie spices ride out the finish.

M: Medium bodied. Fluffy and creamy texture, sharp and crisp carbonation.

O: Better than the majority of pumpkin ales on the market. The spicing is forward, but it still feels very much like a beer. A solid grab if you're feeling festive.

3.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Clear, glowing, golden-orange, with a 1/2"" off white head that quickly drops to a veil, leaving spotty lace on the wall of a Cisco Fisheye pint glass.
The pie spices are light here, with pumpkin as a secondary player to the alcohol fumes.

The flavor is that of an Oktoberfest with pie spices. Bitter/sweet balance is maintained, but the alcohol solvency is pronounced, some high tannic attributes.

The medium body and satin texture combine with ample carbonation. Alcohol is definitely present, but about as expected for 6%.

Every year I try a few pumpkin beers, hoping one will suit my taste. This one was about average. I like the seasonality, appearance, and aromas of the style, but rarely the flavors. Just as the journey is part of the fun, the hunt keeps me searching for a pumpkin ale that fits the hype. Maybe next year I'll try the smoked pumpkin offering from Cisco.

3.79/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

All in all it's a pretty tasty pumpkin beer, and one of the few that you can get in cans, which makes it a hint better. Nice gentle aroma and good flavor with a decent amount of spice. Nothing off-putting or artificial. Not the strongest pumpkin, but because of that it has a spot of it's own.

3.87/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a deep orange color with a white head. The smell was great with a lot of spice to it and the pumpkin scent coming through. The taste was a bit different though with a balance between allspice, nutmeg, and pumpkin, with the hops in the beer. A light pumpkin ale, but still has a great flavor to it.

4.21/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a very pretty, hazy, golden, brownish/orange with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a very thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed wispy clouds that collected in the center of the glass.

Aroma: Very spicy! Lots of nutmeg, all-spice, cinnamon, clove, brown sugar, and even notes of ginger. Malty too, like freshly baked ginger bread. Not much in the way of hops however.

Taste: Exactly like the aroma! Lots of pumpkin and spices! Strong notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Pumpkin pie in a glass. Finally, there is no hops bitterness to speak of, which I overall prefer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied to slightly chewy. Good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 6.0%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Delicious beer! Tons of pumpkin pie flavors, but not too sweet. I’ll certainly get it again next fall.

3.51/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed this one at home - poured into tulip glass from a 12 oz bottle
A - A very pretty copper color with 1 1/2 inches of off white creamy head that settles to about 1/8 inch; decent lacing and a healthy stream of carbonation rising through the glass
S - Very, very mild spice and maybe citrus, almost undetectable though, as are any other aromas; I'm struggling here.
T - This isn't too bad, easy going down, light hop, mild bitter, not much in the way of spice or pumpkin characteristics; not too bad, just doesn't wow me
F - I would say this has just about the right level of carbonation for me; good body,
O - This beer is really up and down. Great look, weak aromas, easy drinking taste, but average comlexity, good body.....seems like a mild IPA. If the label didn't have a pumpkin on it, I wouldn't know the difference.

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12-oz bottle into nonic pub glass

A - 1 finger off-white head over a slightly-cloudy body of deep amber, tons of visible carbonation

S - spices, pumpkin (not very prominent), citrus, grass

T - interesting mix of spices, pumpkin and grainy malt notes, citrusy and grassy notes from the hops, fruity and nutty character, bitter finish

M - highly-carbonated medium body

O - The bitterness is high and the pumpkin is low. Not exactly what I expected from a pumpkin ale.

2.94/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I have been drinking Cisco's beers since they started, but I had yet to try their pumpkin ale. On the pour everything looked great: rich amber color, really nice head, off-white in color, with fine lacing. The pumpkin aroma was very slight, and so, alas, was the taste, which was mostly a hoppy bitterness. I could only make out a little pumpkin flavor, and no spices whatsoever, as the bitterness overwhelmed. If you want your pumpkin ale to taste more like a pale ale, this is for you. But if I get a pumpkin ale I want to taste the pumpkin, and this beer didn't hold it's own in that regard.

Pours a dark orange amber. Not really any head
A nice well rounded aroma of pumpkin and spices.
The taste matches the aromas. Very good pumpkin ale,
Mouthfeel is good. I would get this one again

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a sort of rusty amber with a big eggshell head. Lots of lacing on the way down.

Aroma: Spices are up front, along with a pumpkin/squash kind of smell. Also vaguely grassy.

Taste: This strikes me as a spice-forward pumpkin ale. There's some cinnamon and caramel notes, and a kind of clove-like essence throughout. Pumpkin is there, too, but it's not dominant. Definitely not sweet - it has a slightly dry, spicy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer, as one would expect. Easy on the palate.

Overall: Decent autumn beer. I like that it's spiced up front. I had this with some squash tacos and it was a nice autumnal pairing. Not my favorite pumpkin ale - that's still Smuttynose, as of now - but not half bad.

3.24/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Burnt orange, opaque. An off-white half finger head that leaves fast. Decent lacing.

S: Pumpkin puree, cinnamon, clove.

T: Not much pumpkin here. More orange and citrus-y. Slightly bitter on the finish. A few spices like cinnamon and clove, but not much under the hood.

M: Light to medium with medium carbonation.

O: Some guy at Hop City in Atlanta convinced me to buy this one. He thought it was the shit in pumpkin beers. Wrong! A real waste of sip and money. Pass on this boring offering.

4.01/5  rDev +14.6%

Copper pour, two fingers of khaki head dissipates quickly, minimal lacing in the tulip.

Aroma is classic pumpkin spices, seems well balanced.

Despite the reputation for being one of the hoppier Pumpkin Ales (one reviewer noted Nelson Sauvin hops were advertised: I've seen no such evidence of this claim on the Cisco website), it was not apparent to me. Not as sweet as some of the other offerings I've tried, there is a pleasant balance from sip to swallow that is satisfying.

Medium body, lower level of carbonation, non syrupy in the finish.

Noticing the Julian dating after purchase, I realized Pumple Drumkin was canned mid July, 3+ months before consumption. I'm wondering if there is a hop presence that may have been more noticeable closer to the canning date. Next season I'll seek this one out closer to the canning date to see if the hops are more of a factor. Easy drinking Pumpkin Ale, worth a shot.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clear dark orange with a foamy tan head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, citrus zest, earth, and slight pumpkin pie spice aromas. Taste is much the same with malt, earth, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of spice and earth bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with an aroma of something like an amber ale, but the taste of a pumpkin ale.

Serving type: bottle.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Cannot explain it but this one really didn't settle with me at all.
Poured a brownish orange hue with two finger head.
Aroma was minimal pumpkin spice and sweetness with some graininess.
Light, almost watery, to me the beer tasted like your average pale ale with grainy hops and minimal sweetness but then had some pumpkin notes added it (and the pumpkin is minimal at best).

Was so disappointed by this beer that I created a BeerAdvocate account.
First of all, the labeling on this is very misleading - it is not a pumpkin beer whatsoever - not even a pumpkin spiced beer. It is an IPA plain and simple. I thought I had a mislabeled bottle, so I called Cisco Brewers, and they said it is "not a very pumpkin-y beer". You are right Cisco, and when I buy a pumpkin beer, that's what I'm expecting. Wish I had stayed with tried and true "pumpkinhead", which is great stuff.

I can only hypothesize that the 90-pt rating from "the bros" is because if I was sitting with a bunch of pumpkin beers, and had taste fatigue, I might find a plain old IPA to be a refreshing change. But when I come in from work for my one beer (not one of a tasting panel), this one sorely disappointed me.

2.56/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a spicy marginal pumpkin smell.
Appearance- The beer is a dark amber color with a small off-white head.
Taste- Has a small amount of pumpkin flavoring, not very tasty
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation.
Overall- Completely unimpressed with this beer. I have had many pumpkin beers that tasted better than this.

I rarely - if ever say this about beer. I've been drinking craft beer whenever i can find it and found this at a grocery store near me that sells mixed 6 packs where you can choose them. This was the last one I picked out since I hadn't had it before. It was in a can, not a bottle - so maybe this contributed to the flavor of the beer - or got a bad banch of it. When i first smelled it - it smelled like it had skunked or been sour, but tasted it and it tasted just plain horrible. The pumpkin spice that its advertised as being a "pumpkin beer" was missing, and tasted very, very watered down. This was the second time I've ever poured out a beer - after my horrible experience with a 3 year old can of Narragansett Bock...it tasted almost just like that. Perhaps it wasn't fresh - or in a can like I said (I've had Cisco's Whale Tale, and Grey Lady and they're alright) but I will have to follow this up sometime in another form. I do not recommend!

2.8/5  rDev -20%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a faintly hazed copper color. The head is a finger high, and white in shade. I'm not impressed by the retention, or the minimal lacing left behind. (2.75)

Smell: The brewers have kept both the pumpkin and spices subdued. Cinnamon and gourd only appear as subtle kisses on the nose. It's more redolent of a typical amber ale, featuring notes of caramel, wheat (wha?), and toffee. Aromatically, it's overly subdued, but not offensive. (2.75)

Taste: Follows the aroma fairly rigidly. The spices are very subtle - I can tell they exist, but I really have to concentrate. That's good, because overspicing can ruin a pumpkin ale. Unfortunately, that leaves this beer with very little: it's practically a bland amber ale with a touch of gourd, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Again, not offensive. Just really damn boring. (2.75)

Mouthfeel: To give it credit, it goes down rather easily. It isn't hampered by excess malt/spice obstructiveness, and the finish is dry and surprisingly crisp. Carbonation is medium. (3.25)

Overall: This might appeal to beginner craft drinkers, or haters of the style. It's very mild and inoffensive, with just enough of a pumpkin essence. And therein lies the problem. It's friggen' boring. It doesn't stab the palate, it just puts it to sleep. Put simply, I'd rather be drinking something else. (2.75)

2.8/5: Ehhhhhhhhh...

Worst beer I ever had last year. Dumped the rest but one down the drain to save some other soul from having to endure the taste. Tried the one I saved again just too be sure and it hit the drain too. Too scared of loosing my beer palate to attempt buying it this year..... Yuck..

Pours a clear orange color with a head that dies quickly. The aroma is fu of pumpkin pie spices. The taste has a fair bitterness along with spices and a but if vegetal pumpkin. Hoppy pumpkin ale, interesting. Still, had the spice and pumpkin notes. Easy to drink, not a bad ale.

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

The can gets points for the adorable little pumpkin man who adorns its front. It loses points for the really awful attempt at a Halloween poem on the side. I get that it's trying to be cutesy doggerel, but good god--you could have crowdsourced this out to a kindergarten class and gotten something ten times more appealing.

Moving on... this is an east coast pumpkin. Meaning, unlike the midwest variety of pumpkin ale, this is supposed to taste like beer, not pie spice and diabetes.

Starts out with light spice and good kick of fleshy pumpkin. This moves into a middle that's like an east coast pale, with a bit of cinnamon and some uncomfortable barely bitterness in the back.

Not... not bad. But a strange flavor, the beginning dully sweet and the end sharply bitter. Just doesn't hit my pallet quite right.

Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.