Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Pumple Drumkin Spiced AlePumple Drumkin Spiced Ale

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: corey0212 on 09-22-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next › last »
Liverpool08

3.48/5  rDev 0%

A nice dark amber orange, very small white head. Aroma, is slight, a little malt and nutmeg. First sip is a little bitter, flavors of malt, nutmeg, a little pumpkin. Not sure where the bitter comes from. As it warms the bitter fades and the beer mellows becomes more malty with some more spice overtones. Not a bad Pumpkin ale, but nothing spectactular.

09-17-2010 00:32:20 | More by Liverpool08
NCSUdo

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle

A: Pours a dark amber brown under a small white head. No lace, no retention.

S: Subtle pumpkin surrounded by pumpkin pie spice. Balanced but could probably use a little more "oomph".

T: Maintains a decent malt backbone before giving into a mildly sweet pumpkin and spices. Nice balance.

M/D: Medium bodied, carbonation is about medium, very nice mouthfeel. Drinkability is nice. Not an over the top or in your face beer, but nice and balanced from start to finish.

09-15-2010 00:51:08 | More by NCSUdo
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Presented with a copper hued brew with a slight white cap.
Smell is pumpkin spices think pie or spice cake.
Taste is a stronger version of the spice cake vibe with a touch of pine hops.
Medium bodied could just be a tad thicker tho
I love spice cake and the like so this is enjoyable but could get cloying

09-14-2010 19:45:46 | More by sliverX
Nipitato

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

From notes taken on 3.1.09

Purchased a bomber at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Moderate amber hue. A thin persistent off-white head. Good clarity.

S: A subtle aroma for pumpkin ale. Nutmeg and allspice come out but are restrained.

T: Malt backbone is there but relatively undefined. Spicy - nutmeg and ginger. Spiciness is well done - not overpowering. Beyond the spiciness I'm not picking up much spice character.

MF: Medium body. Mildly carbonated. Dry finish.

D,notes: Good drinkability. Simple straightforward. Not cloying, which I tend to find to be a problem with pumpkin ales. I would have liked a little more pronounced flavor however.

08-25-2010 18:09:44 | More by Nipitato
tpd975

3.18/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to markwise for this one.

A: Pours a nice dark shade of orange with a small cream colored head. No real retention or lace.

S: Aromas of mostly spice. Hints of pumpkin, and a dash of roast.

T: Fairly heavily spiced, pumpkin, light bready malt, and a bit of a chemical taste.

M: Medium in body, fairly smooth.

D: Just okay, not one of my favorite pumpkin beers.

03-11-2010 01:40:32 | More by tpd975
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.48/5  rDev 0%

On-tap 11/20/09 at Track 84 in Warwick, RI, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color, thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is sweet up front with flavors of pumpkin, caramel and spices. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy. The hops presence is mild but complementary. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down ok, slightly filling, decent kick, good representation of style, it's a pretty solid beer within its style, but overall I found it to just be mediocre.

11-24-2009 20:50:00 | More by TheManiacalOne
JoeyBeerBelly

4.8/5  rDev +37.9%

22oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

Clear amber color with an off-white head that stayed as a layer and left good lacing.
Nutmeg and other spices fill the nose, it smells like autumn.
Taste is excellent, the blend of spices works well with a solid roasted malt flavor in the background, the best tatsing 'fall beer' I have ever had.
Medium bodied with a smooth feel.
Excellent, I want more!

11-14-2009 21:32:14 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
BetterDarker

4.35/5  rDev +25%

Appearance - Deep orange almost amber color. Decent beige colored head that dissipates quickly. Very clear. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell - Nice spicy and floral aroma, not pumpkin pie but autumn invoking. Very inviting.

Taste - Absolutely delicious, earthy flavors, pumpkin with a light spice. Nice malt and very little bitterness, but not sweet. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Great carbonation, medium body.

Drinkability - Very drinkable, and a very good beer. If my wallet agreed I would have many more.

10-15-2009 12:02:30 | More by BetterDarker
jlindros

And thus continues my saga of the quest for pumpkin beer enlightenment. Oooh, and this has one of the best Pumpkin beer ratings yet, so I'm excited. This one also has a great story to go with it. So I'm workin on my grandparents cranberry bog farm, in the gift shop, and my grandmother tells me that someone from a vodka distilling place is coming by to promote their new cranberry beer and drop off a bottle for "display". I'm not much of a vodka fan, so I was somewhat agnostic. Next thing I know I see an old 70s VW van pull up with the Triple 8 logo on it. I've been to Cisco Brewery before, its the same company and building as Triple 8 distillers and Natucket Winery. A great place to visit by the way. So now I'm excited. The rep comes in and starts talking about the promo. When he's done I ask him about The Pink Lady and the Lady of the Woods (since the thread had just come up on BA the day before and I was curious) and I had to mention my failed clone of The Grey Lady (for which he told me the secret spice in it, which is <cough cough hack wheeze>). After a few minutes he runs out to the van, brings back a bottle of The Grey Lady and a bottle of this Pumple Drumkin, which I haven't tried yet (as well as a bottle cranberry vodka and vanilla vodka for my grandmother since she loves that stuff) just for us. I snagged the two beers and here is the Pumpkin that I was waiting to try.

Now if you stuck through that long story, here comes an awesome review. (I should have started drinking it before I wrote the story).

A: Pours extremely flat, perhaps the bottle he gave me was an experimental, or it was sitting in his truck for a while. It has a few large bubbles reminiscent of a cask beer. The crystal clear toasty brown color has a touch of red too, and some interesting bubbles rising up to the top giving it a light posthumous head that is bigger than the one from the pour... a first for me.

N: With that, I almost wonder if I should stop the review and buy one in the store before I finish the review... eh screw it. The nose has a light toasted pumpkin and some sweet malts. A very light fruity aroma sneaks its way through as well. I also don't get much for spice, which is a good sign. I get a slight bready aroma that makes me thing of the crust of a pumpkin pie.

T: Taste starts with some spices, unfortunately, but they're still tampered down. More toasty pumpkin flavors explode. I also get some bitterness and some light hints of alcohol. A bit of the spicey toasty hops. It definitely has a sweet and toasty pumpkin pie taste, but the spices are very mild after that first initial hit. It has a nice clean ale taste and refreshing enjoyment to it as well. A slight nutty taste also seems to find its way into my mouth. It also has a sweet syrupy taste that is a little mouth smackingly too much.

M: Not as light as I would expect, a little bit thick and slightly creamy, touch of spicey, but no carbonation and that's the real downfall of this beer.

F: Very dry and very bitter. It has a strong toasted earthy bitterness that really comes through on the end. The bitterness first starts a little contrasted to the original sweet pumpkin pie taste and a little eyebrow raising, but then seems to mellow down and really accents the beer well. The lingering toasty pumpkin seems to fade quickly, but the bitterness takes its time and its a nice long finish that is pretty enjoyable.

Final thoughts: A very nice tasty pumpkin ale, that has a slight sweet taste with toasty pumpkin, a little bready, pumpkin pie with crust taste, light on the spices, big on the refreshment, and a head scratching but inner smiling bitter earthy hop finish. It's only real downfall is the sheer lack of carbonation. However, I'll have to buy one (as I was planning to do anyways) and verify it has carbonation and I'll add on to this review. Thanks a lot for the beer, this one's for Cisco being such an awesome company and making great beers.

10-15-2009 01:04:00 | More by jlindros
smcolw

4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

Crystal clear, dark amber color. Thick off-white head that leaves a sheet of lace on the glass.

Nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and brown sugar are the strongest smells. Reminds me of pumpkin bread, not pumpkin pie.

Tis the season for the Pumpkin Ales, especially in New England. This one is better than most. Good hop presence, lots of pumpkin bread flavors. The "pumpkin" seasoning takes a back seat here, which is refreshing from the usual fare of over-spiced autumn offerings. While I'm reluctant to describe this as a spiced pale ale, it has elements of both.

In short, I'd describe this as a beer lovers Pumpkin Spiced Ale. It is far easier to enjoy than the "pie" beers. I think it's my favorite of this style.

10-10-2009 00:35:04 | More by smcolw
albern

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

I've had this on tap at the brewery and now in the bottle. I think on tap is a bit better in that the nuances of the spices emerge better. The beer has more of a foamy head, a foamed up mouthfeel, and a bit more lacing in the bottle version. The nose is surprisingly light on the pumpkin aromas, heavier on the malty caramels. There are more drying leafy hop notes in the bottle version as well. I'm knocking down the bottle version just a bit. It's a nice pumpkin ale, but it just doesn't have the full palate or the character of the on tap version.

10-09-2009 21:43:41 | More by albern
Jayli

4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

This beer pours a clear dark amber color. About a finger and a half of an off white pillowy head. Head retention is good with a good amount of lacing left behind. There is a wonderfully strong, inviting nose to this beer. Most easily picked out is cinnamon and nutmeg. Taste is fantastic! The cinnamon and nutmeg once again dominate the flavor but here is where the pumpkin comes in. Pumpkin flavoring mellows out the spices to give this beer a nice blend of flavor bursts with a mellow finish. Decent carbonation and a smooth feel make this beer once that I could sit with all night.

02-14-2009 18:52:03 | More by Jayli
Rainintheface

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

A: mostly clear and brownish/copper in color(like an older penny). Has a small off-white head that leaves a nice ring and laces well

S: spices. cinnamon,pumpkin spice, nutmeg, a little ginger and faint graham cracker

T: the aforementioned spices along with some sweet malt adding some backbone

M: moderate in body, rather creamy with a touch of carbonation

D: quite tasty and one to have a couple

11-28-2008 22:08:28 | More by Rainintheface
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP:Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Very nice, clear dark amber liquid. Almost brown. Two finger head with decent retention. Excellent lacing.

Very nice pumpkin smell is prominent. Smells like real pumpkin flesh. Typical spices are here, also. Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and allspice. A touch of ginger. Good presence of sweet maltiness. Somewhat biscuity.

Spicey! Man the spices shine through, proud and strong. Cinnamon and nutmeg dominate with ginger and allspice following closely behind. Very nice pumpkin flavor presence. Roasted pumpkin seeds are represented, as well. Biscuity taste, almost like pie crust. Slight hop kiss on the back end. All supported by a nice, but not overstated, sweet roasted malt backbone.

Good medium bodied ale here. Nice creaminess. Not waterey thin, as some pumpkin ales tend to be. I'd say this one is pretty much just right.

Along with Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout, this is a tie for my fave pumpkin brews. Very drinkable and very tasty.
I'd like to know what the alcohol content is, though, as I feel it may be on the higher side. I can't taste it, but I can feel it.

Thanks so much to corey0212 for hooking me up with this one!

11-25-2008 20:41:58 | More by coldmeat23
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +12.9%

Another gem of a New England brew that I was able to pick up recently. One of the last new pumpkin ales I have left to try this year, I decided to break this one out with dinner last night. Served cold, right out of the fridge and poured into a pilsner glass.
Consumed on 11/02/2008.

The pour was decent. A nice and cloudy, light range tinted amber color was dropped into the glass at the first pour. Nice head of about two inches worth of lace then plopped up from the bottom and settled on a height of around an inch and a half before settling down to just a thin veil. Some nice carbonation was evident through the glass.

The aroma was loaded down with spice. Really tingling and prickling the nose as you went. Nice touches of nutmeg, cinnamon and all spice were all over this thing. Really some nice work here. Light grainy base made up the majority of it and that nice little spicy pop just would not go away. The flavor was more of the same with a strong presence of pumpkin spice and cinnamon all over the taste. Nice balance though with a good grain bill on the mid palate and an earthy, slightly dry hopped finish. Smooth and with good carbonation, this one had no trouble at all going down.

Overall not bad. This was one of the lighter in body pumpkin ales I had this fall, but still very good. Nice and session able, and went well with dinner. I don't think I would turn this one down anytime soon.

11-05-2008 00:52:57 | More by mikesgroove
sholland119

4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

Thanks to corey0212 for this one.

A-Pours a clear, rather dark amber. Fluffy white head and some nice lacing.

S-Lots of nice nutmeg and other pumpkin pie spices, along with some pumpkin scent. A bit of malt too.

T-My favorite pumpkin beer of the year. A great balance of pumpkin spice, pumpkin and biscuity malt.

M-Crisp and smooth with nice carbonation.

D-One and done is my usual with pumpkin beers, But I would certainly enjoy more than one of these. Very nice.

11-01-2008 02:02:57 | More by sholland119
PittBeerGirl

4.08/5  rDev +17.2%

My first LIF win! Thanks to corey0212 for this one.

A- Very foggy, robust pumpkin colored body. Head fades quickly. completely.

S- Spices are dominant in the nose. Pumpkins (of course) are behind this with a bit of a biscuty overtone.

T-Cinnamon spice and nutmeg upfront and a nice moderate strength pumpkin background. The finish adds a shade of roasted bitterness as the end of the spices come through.

M-Medium carbonation and medium-weight body that is quite smooth.

D- This is really good pumpkin ale. Has to be up in my top 3 with ST and Weyerbacher. I like my pumpkin ales on the spicy side. It was a great opportunity to try this!

10-16-2008 00:52:57 | More by PittBeerGirl
TrevorGW

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Great looking beer. A clear reddish copper body with a nice frothy head that sticks around a bit.

Taste is spicy and smooth. Creamy but still with a sharp carbonation. The spices balance off the malt nicely, although I am not getting that slick pumpkin texture that should be there from the real pumpkins that were used. All the classic spices are present (nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, all spice) but not overdone.

Does not have a thin body like a lot of the "pumpkin" beers. Leaves you with a strong enough flavor to keep you grabbing for another sip. A solid beer, not just a holiday gimmick.

A very flavorful, yet drinkable spiced beer. I would definitely put it near the top of the list for the Pumpkin-related beers that I have tried.

10-09-2008 18:00:25 | More by TrevorGW
corey0212

Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev +25.9%

22 oz. bottle with a cool little Pumpkin-man wearing a Cisco shirt on the label. "Brewed with Nantucket pumpkins" printed on the bottom of the label.

Pours a nice auburn color, darker than most pumpkin ales I've had. Big foamy tan head, settling very slowly into a nice layer atop the beer, lots of sticky lacing in the glass. Lots of pumpkin pie spice in the nose, doughy, and some full-on meaty pumpkin flesh aroma. This is the goods! Lots of nutmeg and spice flavors, pumpkin pie (crust included!), and actually more robust and bitter than overly-sweet. Delicious! Mouthfeel seems spot-on for the style, on the heavier end of medium-bodied, lingering spice and bitterness. I must have more!!!! Likely the finest pumpkin ale I've ever had.

09-22-2008 01:10:29 | More by corey0212
plaid75

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured a deep amber hue with a half finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a sweet fleshy pumpkin with highlights of spicy cinammon and nutmeg.

The taste consisted of a strong pumpkin flesh flavor - moreso than most pumpkin ales. Strong spicy strains of cinammon and nutmeg were accompanied by a soft caramel malt.

The mouthfeel was full.

Overall a very good pumpkin ale. Seems that there really was an emphasis on actual pumpkin flavor here. I only wish I had more.

Serving type: growler

12-06-2006 03:36:30 | More by plaid75
« first ‹ prev | 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next › last »
Pumple Drumkin Spiced Ale from Cisco Brewers Inc.