Summer Of Lager - Cisco Brewers Inc.

Summer Of LagerSummer Of Lager

good

good

Cisco Brewers Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Summer Of Lager Alström Bros

My all-time favorite Cisco product! - I nice frothy white head greets you as you sip this golden colored brew with nice carbonation. Sweet bready-fruit aromas. Flavor is of sweet and tart grapefruit and biscuit malts. Wonderfully refreshing and delicious on a hot summer night!

BogleHill, Aug 11, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

Why did I have to come all of the way out to CANorado to find this beer in a CAN? Am I slipping or have people forgotten about The CANQuest (TM)? If that is the case (of beer), then I need to increase people's awareness.

From the CAN: "The Summer of Love was fun, they say but now we're living THE SUMMER OF LAGER! 'Lager' means 'to wait a wicked long time until it's ready.' We brewed it in the fall, aged it all winter, then sampled it in the spring. Then again, and again, until finally we decided to share. Hope you like it."

I got a spritz during the Crack, so it got a few minutes to CANtemplate what was going to happen next before I initiated the Glug. As any simpleton, like me, might have deduced, an inverted aggro Glug was going to be nothing but trouble, so even with a gentle Glug, I was still getting foaming. It all worked out, however, as I ended up with two dense, foamy fingers of bone-white head that resembled to top of a swirly vanilla ice cream cone. Color was a deep sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. SRM = 4/5. Nose smelled like the interior of a malt room at a brewery! Mouthfeel was medium-to full, big for a lager and the taste was biscuit malt and maybe some Noble hops to lend a grassiness to it. Mmmm. This was very dry, especially on the finish and I found myself longing for some pretzels to go with it. Would this go in my cooler? Heck, yes!

woodychandler, Aug 06, 2013

wo87810, May 24, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Carefully poured from a longstanding 750ml bottle, the Summer of Lager is a crystal-clear deep-gold with an orange-ish cast. It's frothy bright-white head holds exceptionally well, no doubt buoyed by the steadily streaming effervescent carbonation from below; and it leaves wide sheets of thin but solid lace about the glass. The nose is clean, bright and fresh just like summer, with notes of malt, cut-grass, and flowers. The body is medium with a dextrinous edge; and it's zesty and then creamy across the palate with a very fine-bubbled, natural (it's bottle-conditioned), effervescent carbonation. The flavor reveals a sweetish, slightly toasty and "juicy" malt (typical of Munich malt) that's laced with grassy, floral, and subtly spicy hops; and balanced by a low-key bitterness that's just enough to dry it in the finish leaving the palate refreshed and ready for another sip. It's rich without being satiating, and it's immensely drinkable. It's very well done, and the 6.25% alcohol is never noticeable! It's certainly worth trying, and probably one of Cisco's best beers!

NeroFiddled, Dec 24, 2004

slyons16, Dec 17, 2012

DRobCity, Jun 10, 2014

VictorFranco, Jan 31, 2014

spicyvelveetas, Dec 03, 2013

KC9LDB, Jul 08, 2013

MyauFroto, Apr 26, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

Golden pour with a massive white head that sticks around forever leaving lace all over the glass. The aroma is very floral and grassy. It smells like summer with hops and malts coming along for the party.

The malts are a little bready and definitely do not make up the flavor of this beer. The seller on this one is the excellent selection of hops they chose. Very grassy and earthy, mmmmm. It is crisp and refreshing, perfect for summer. I wish I had a full brewery full of this beer so I could have a summer of lager, and a winter, and... It is simply a wonderful brew for any season, but especially summer.

Danke sehr VENOM for this wonderful sample.

ElGuapo, Jun 18, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured 22oz. into SA pint glass.

A: Golden/slight copper color. Forms a huge pillowy head that sticks around for a while, and leaves nice lacing everywhere.

S: Mostly earthy and piney hops coming through, with bready maltiness in the background.

T: Tasty earthy/piney hops definitely take charge, but there's a nice malt backbone, and then a last minute kick of citrus bitterness. Not as clean as you'd expect, but I'm fine with it.

M: Lighter-side of medium. Nicely carbonated.

D: Great beer to have at a barbecue, and definitely easy to have a few. Very tasty and refreshing.

nelnutter, Apr 25, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +20%

A deep golden amber color and slight, white head, classic look.

Very intense yeast aroma, strange sourness, very malty sweet in the middle, like honey. Musky, herbal and sour.

A very pure and clean effect right off, lager flavor's galore, yummy sour/bready/herbal yeast, dry and refreshing effect. Golden wheat in the malt, again, very crisp. grand balance for this style and hops are not out-of-control!! A subtle woody, bready malt effect later on with a nice hit of herbs and spices.

This one is just a classic lager!

GratefulBeerGuy, Sep 06, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +20%

Bomber brought home by a friend direct from the brewery-- really fresh!

Pours a hazy and rich light amber, with some silty sediment and a huge, foamy head. Great lacing.

Aroma is of grassy hops and sweet grain.

This is an excellent lager. At first it's quite grainy, bready and sweet, but the finish is dry, clean and bitter. Well-balanced and very smooth. Doughy malts combine with earthy noble hop varieties to create a very pleasant lager. Not rich or heavy though, and the alcohol is not even noticeable. This is a beer that is best fresh, and I'm lucky to have sampled it in such a state.

More than happy with this beer, my first from Cisco. Not a textbook Helles, but still delicious, almost like a lighter Maibock.

dasenebler, Aug 11, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours a light golden color with a two-finger head into my glass. Good presentation/color for this example.

Sweet, grainy, buttered bread greets the nose. Fresh. Very inviting. I do think it reminds me a lot of a cream ale, even if they are not related.

A light hop grassiness greets the taste buds, followed by more of that sweet, buttery malt. Mmmmm. Just the right balance of hops and malt here.

Lingering buttered bread and hops on the palate. Finishes very clean.

This is a winner for the style. Easy to drink and highly enjoyable. I'd prefer this over a macro.

Brad007, Jun 10, 2011
4.34/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have to say really liked this offering from Cisco as an alternative to wheat and kolschs that seem to rule the summer beer scene. Poured out of the can into a pilsner glass. The color is a dark golden with a fluffy head. Crisp flavor with slight fruit hints. Easy aroma that's good for day drinking. Good stuff.

MarkQ617, Aug 16, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

The little yellow flower says it all, too bad it wasn't around in '69. A nice golden lager, with steady carbonation. A little hoppy with a very complex taste. Crisp would be an understatement. This is by far the best beer Cisco puts out in the summer, but I could not find it on tap on the island. I'll have to go back and continue my search....

bewareOFpenguin, Jul 21, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

Grabbed a growler of this stuff last time I was on Island. At the ACBF after telling the Cisco rep that this was one of my favorites, he told me that this years was their best batch ever, lets see if they're right. Lager smell comes rushing out as soon as the growler is opened. Clear gold in color, with a finger of white heading. Husky, fresh grain and red grape skin become apparent in the nose. More fresh grains in the taste, with the malt showing a lot of character. The balance is quite nice between the malts and hops, though the malts come out on top, as they should. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and makes for a perfect Summer session lager. After having had this beer numerous times since I first reviewed it, I am certain that the original review was of a bad bottle. That being said, this is a brew that should be had fresh, so drink your bottle soon, or go to the brewery and enjoy.

jamie2dope, Jun 24, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Can into pint glass.

Slightly hazy yellowish gold body with a fizzy white head. Good retention and lacing.

Smells of some crystal and Munich malt with a grassy, lemony, and floral hop note. Nice crisp finish with a pleasant bitterness.
This beer is well-balanced, and a surprisingly tasty summer lager. This could be the beer that wins over many a BMC drinker!

Body is spot on. Medium, well-carbonated, and a light scrubbing effervescent feel.

Overall-- this is a very good canned lager. I like it. Better than its rating.

AleWatcher, Sep 24, 2012

BeerDreadz, May 19, 2013

beerman999999, Aug 04, 2014

bsm80x, Sep 25, 2013

boyessen, Oct 27, 2012

Orange, Dec 27, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

This is going to be a tough review. I dont know this style at all, what I do know is what I have is what I read in the BA explanation. Lets just say, I dont know where to begin.

Ive decided to give this beer a 4.15. Im going to try and average it out this way. This intro is in hindsight, as I have no concept of this style. However, as you (if you) read my review, you hopefully will appreciate the ranking of a style I know nothing about.

Looks unfiltered, though not exactly. Some head, typical stayingu power of an ale, much more than an expected lager. Is that grapefruit I smell? Dont get me wrong, but do I smell sea water? Not sea water in a bad way, but in a good way that I cant explain.

Citrus, wheat lager. Thats what I got. Biting of a lager, sweet citrus, and that unfiltered aspect of a wheat. Very interesting. No ale in this brew. No real hops to speak of.

Alcoholic for a lager. Im drinking this colder that most brews, I think it was a good choice. Im not the biggest lager fan, but this may be the funnest lager Ive tried.

Makes me think of a seasonal lager. Do you know a seasonal lager not named a winter? Maybe marzen like but not of the same kin.

Very drinkable. I would love to find this on draft, however unlikely that would be. I highly recommend one of these bombers to any one who considers themselves a true beer fan.

drink on

JasonA, Apr 22, 2007
Summer Of Lager from Cisco Brewers Inc.