He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17) - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17)He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17)

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.00% ABV

How could we hope to top last year’s Jewbelation Sweet 16 with its cupcakes, unicorns, & Satan’s Ferrari birthday cake? massive challenge. So for Year 17, we threw in a whole new dimension to our shtick – we built our very own brewery! After 17 years of contract brewing, our first Shmaltz Clifton Park batch emerged 17 months after the first draft of the business plan. Coincidence? Renaissance means “Re-birth” in French & Italian. In Buddhism, the concept does not truly translate as “reincarnation” but instead as “becoming,” or a “stream of consciousness.” 11 syllables structure a haiku. Shakespeare penned 17 comedies. In The Simpsons episode “Duffness” Homer sings “When I was 17″ about buying his first beer with a fake I.D. “I drank some very good beer. I stayed up listening to Queen, When I was 17.” In The Office, Dwight recites Rule 17 that all Schrute boys must learn: “Don’t turn your back on bears, men you have wronged, or the dominant turkey during mating season.” Knowledge and growth come in many forms. It is taught that Nirvana is only attained when the soul transcends cycles of rebirth. Looks like Shmaltz just isn’t there yet. So with 17 malts, 17 hops, and 17% ABV, JEWBEL4TIONREBORN serves as another mark of our death as a contract brewer and proof of our conversion to a new life as brewery owner…… L’Chaim!!!

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 11-08-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17) Alström Bros
1.35/5  rDev -65.5%

Its like they filtered a bunch of rotten fruit through rotten coffee grounds. If there are toffee or caramel notes in this beer they are also rotten, and I do not like them in my beer anyway. The guy at bevmo recommended this after I said I love North Coast Old Rasputin, but they are nothing alike. People drink this garbage?

Skoobs, Dec 13, 2013

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

sweemzander, Apr 22, 2014
2.93/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer pours a nice dark brown, with a decent amount of sustaining head. Unfortunately, to me, it's all downhill from there. I have actually enjoyed quite a few Shmaltz beers as I could find them in the past. I wondered how this would work given the 17s involved, but for me it didn't mainly because of one "17", listed under ABV.

The smell is sweetish and dark-fruit in nature. Fig more so than date, a bit of honey in the sweetness. Maybe some dark cherries in there. Not bad; I actually don't notice any alcohol.

The taste grabs a little of the smell, then smacks me with an alcohol astringent blast that never quite subsides. The latter feel actually comes more into line with what I would expect from a strong ale, but instead of accentuating the taste. it is a welcome relief from it.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of effort into building a taste profile to me. Seems like an experiment that falls well short.

cjgiant, Feb 27, 2014

KVNBGRY, Jan 20, 2014

XmnwildX12, Dec 13, 2013

ctrevino, May 20, 2014
3.16/5  rDev -19.2%

Shared by jayhawk73. Thanks Jeff!

The beer is dark brown with a thick beige head that fades to nil after a few minutes. The aroma is intense. Lots of pine and alcohol. I can't pick out any specific hops or malts individually but it smells like there are copious amounts of both. Whoa. This is a slow sipper.

Probably best to split this beer 17 ways.

Or maybe drink it over 17 days.

If you drank this by yourself, you'd have a hangover for about 17 hours.

I could think of 17 beers I'd rather drink.

If you poured this over Frosted Flakes, you might puke about 17 times. You might need to do 17 loads of laundry if this happens.

Full bodied and viscous. oily, resinous hops and a sticky, syrupy feel. Not for the feint of heart. Bold, brash, flavorful, loaded with alcohol and an armada of malt and hops.

Huhzubendah, Jan 29, 2014
3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

A - Dark brown to pitch black pour with a minimal head giving way quickly to a thin toffee colored lacing ring and no carbonation. Swirl the snifter and it's incredibly viscous looking with some serious legs.

S - Pretty subdued aroma for a beer this size. Dark fruit, light molasses and vanilla, mild smoke aroma, oak, and healthy alcohol effervescence. (Everything sort of blends together which makes the nose a little sloppy.)

T - Chocolate malt, toffee, molasses, dark fruit, soy, wood char, and a moderate amount of boozy medicinal character. There's a slight amount of astringency in the background that is distracting and when paired with the booziness the two elements wreak a little havoc and masks the other flavor nuances.

M - Thick, syrupy, sticky, and moderately warm on the way down from the alcohol.

O - I enjoyed the 16th Anniversary more (sorry to say). I bought two bottles and plan to cellar the 2nd one to see where it goes, granted, the 17 is pretty green right now and I give Shmaltz the benefit of a doubt so I will revisit this review after the 2nd bottle sits for several months (or longer).

jzeilinger, Nov 17, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

App: Shit is black. Very dark pour, with almost no light passing through the pour. Typical proter like head with lack-luster retention and no lacing.
Smell: Deep roasted malt aroma, notes of coco, walnut, and alcohol volatility. Bready, with notes of pumpernickel.
Taste: Straight up booze taste. Very alcoholic, even more so than red wine. Notes of fig, raisin, and prunes. Sweet and lingering.
Mouth: Overall, fairly thin. Too boozy to be properly enjoyed. Strong for the sake of being strong.

ZoomanCru, Dec 03, 2013