He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17) - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17)He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17)

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheBrewo on 11-08-2013

How could we hope to top last year’s Jewbelation Sweet 16 with its cupcakes, unicorns, & Satan’s Ferrari birthday cake? massive challenge. So for Year 17, we threw in a whole new dimension to our shtick – we built our very own brewery! After 17 years of contract brewing, our first Shmaltz Clifton Park batch emerged 17 months after the first draft of the business plan. Coincidence? Renaissance means “Re-birth” in French & Italian. In Buddhism, the concept does not truly translate as “reincarnation” but instead as “becoming,” or a “stream of consciousness.” 11 syllables structure a haiku. Shakespeare penned 17 comedies. In The Simpsons episode “Duffness” Homer sings “When I was 17″ about buying his first beer with a fake I.D. “I drank some very good beer. I stayed up listening to Queen, When I was 17.” In The Office, Dwight recites Rule 17 that all Schrute boys must learn: “Don’t turn your back on bears, men you have wronged, or the dominant turkey during mating season.” Knowledge and growth come in many forms. It is taught that Nirvana is only attained when the soul transcends cycles of rebirth. Looks like Shmaltz just isn’t there yet. So with 17 malts, 17 hops, and 17% ABV, JEWBEL4TIONREBORN serves as another mark of our death as a contract brewer and proof of our conversion to a new life as brewery owner…… L’Chaim!!!
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17) Alström Bros

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bomber to a snifter.

A: Poured an opaque, very dark brown, nearly black. No head.

S: Sweet boozy. There is a sweet candy smell. There's just so much in this beer its hard to really distinguish anything, just smells like a sweet malt bomb.

T: Crazy sweet, nearly cloyingly sweet. It really just tastes like syrup with added sugar, tons of brown sugar. Molasses. Slight coffee. Maybe some fruit coming through?

M: Full bodied. Sticky syrupy mouth feel. For 17%, the alcohol is hidden fairly well.

Overall this was in between good and okay. It's just too sweet for me. To begin with, I don't really enjoy malt bombs. The alcohol is there, but its hidden fairly well. It actually started to grow on me as it warmed.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured a brown body, almost black, with two finger head and lace patches all over. A slightly boozy malt driven aroma with touches of bread, sweetness thanks to chocolate and possibly toffee and some dark fruits (your requisite figs and plums reference). I can see where this beer is not for everyone because while not overpowering the booze is noticeable and plays a part in this beer. I occasionally love sipping on a good whiskey or scotch (they are different) and this beer reminded me of that, just "nursing" it and enjoying little packets of sweet flavor in every sip (I must say I eventually finished the bomber, on my own, and the alcohol doesn't gain more prominence as beer warms but the sweet malts do, although after the bomber I was done for the night). This beer is thick, at times sticky, passes over easy w/o burn and has a slightly hoppy bitter finish that balances a rather sweet beer, complete with chocolate, caramel, syrup, toffee, bread, and dark fruits malt notes so it's a rather complex sweetness. Even get a little vanilla bourbonesque twang near the end of the bomber (or my buzz was stronger than expected). This is one I enjoyed and would recommend to anyone who likes to take chances on stronger, boozy beers with a sweet edge.

3.16/5  rDev -19.2%

Shared by jayhawk73. Thanks Jeff!

The beer is dark brown with a thick beige head that fades to nil after a few minutes. The aroma is intense. Lots of pine and alcohol. I can't pick out any specific hops or malts individually but it smells like there are copious amounts of both. Whoa. This is a slow sipper.

Probably best to split this beer 17 ways.

Or maybe drink it over 17 days.

If you drank this by yourself, you'd have a hangover for about 17 hours.

I could think of 17 beers I'd rather drink.

If you poured this over Frosted Flakes, you might puke about 17 times. You might need to do 17 loads of laundry if this happens.

Full bodied and viscous. oily, resinous hops and a sticky, syrupy feel. Not for the feint of heart. Bold, brash, flavorful, loaded with alcohol and an armada of malt and hops.

3.54/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hebrew Jewbelation Reborn 17
22oz bottle into a snifter

17 malts, 17 hops, 17% ABV. I was a big fan of last years anniversary release, excited to try this one.

A: Pours an opaque black with just under 1 fingers width of tan colored head. Head dissipates down quickly and leaves almost no lacing, but some alcohol legs.

S: Roasted malts, black coffee, cinnamon graham cracker, semisweet chocolate, subtle dark fruits, a bit of booze. Very good aroma, but fairly mild considering how big this beer is.

T: Big and boozy, roasted malts, fusel alcohol, plastic, black coffee bitterness, subtle dark fruits. Alcohol presence is way too strong though and dominates the other flavors.

M/D: Full bodied but not thick, carbonation moderate, ABV is certainly noticeable but its not hot going down, and for the insane ABV drinkability is pretty good.

O: So I absolutely loved last year's Jewbelation Sweet 16, but I'm not really a fan of this one. Real nice aroma, but the flavor profile is overpowered by boozy ethanol. Im disappointed. Might settle down with some age, for the price its probably worth grabbing a bottle and throwing it in the cellar for a year or two. I do, however, appreciate them sticking with the trend, and I look forward to seeing an "18 malts, 18 hops, 18% ABV" beer next year.

3.4/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Another bottle picked up from what I am convinced is a very underrated brewery. 22 oz. bottle with the standard shtick split with my wife.

Pour is moonless night with the low carbonation befitting a beast of a beer. The nose is not shy, nor is it a one-note kettle drum. Big hit of molasses sweetness is sheered off by a nice roast, alcohol-sodden chocolate, dark fruit of Middle Eastern origin. Smells scary.

Jewbelation Reborn (17) hits harder than Caine on Overworld. Alcohol leg-whips the palate; I've never said a beer is too hot, but, wow, this is a post-shoveling beer if I've ever had one. My fingers are even warm now. Past the shot-like effects, there's a ton of figgy/prunishity that doesn't go over into face-scrunching territory, but is cut by a scramble of sweet malts that give the beer a thick, syrupy feel. Also detected are flecks of leather, chocolate, burnt roast. There's nothing about barrels on the label, but there's a serious drying effect on the downslope that I associate with oak. A sipper. Five sips & I believe I've already compromised my pons. My cheek is twitching.

Complex, bruising, huge. None of these things can be denied, but I'm afraid this one finally pegged the 'too much' meter. This hot mess is certainly entertaining, but doesn't rise about the level of pretty good.

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Modest starting head that settles to rim bubbles. Little lace--just some spots. The liquid is deep brown where light shines through on the edge of the glass.

Interesting aroma of slightly darker malts (despite the very dark color, there's no burnt smells). Light hop given that there are 17 different varieties.

Extremely rich beer (with a low-ish carbonation). Soft start but it does become a flavor bomb quickly. The malt is complex without any particular style being dominant. Like the smell, taste wise it is closer to light toast with no burnt elements. There's a potent alcohol warmth throughout the tasting. Good hop presence. In a word, balanced. it is extreme on the body and the alcohol.

He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17) from Shmaltz Brewing Company