He'brew Funky Jewbelation 2014 - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'brew Funky Jewbelation 2014He'brew Funky Jewbelation 2014

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.40% ABV

A blend of 7 ales aged in 35% Bourbon Barrels and 65% Rye Whiskey Barrels.

(Beer added by: JShelbyS on 03-15-2014)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by a0lbudman:
3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Picked up because I like Shmaltz’s stuff quite a bit. And hey, I have a Jewish friend. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife, bottled 2/18/14.

And we have a gusher! Popping the cork necessitates a towel, & there are just too many ways to go with that, so I’ll leave it lie. The pour is dead dark, with spare red around the edges, someplace between a stout & a porter. The head fades faster than a Kenau Reeves performance. The nose is an overhand smash of fruitiness, with lobs of tartness & wood tannins. Smells like a strange wine.

Funky Jewbelation 2014 charges me up. Seriously: a wildish beer where you can actually taste the barrel is about as common as getting an ogre ride. Barrels figure prominently here with a wide slash of whiskey/bourbon warming all the way down, backed by a prominent dose of fruity cherries (sans stem) that impart only a mild tartness. Sweet malts dance into the mid-palate, barrel staves provide dry humor, but closing the deal is that exquisite balance of barrel & wild. I could have taken this bomber into my tummy alone, & I don’t say that often about wildish stuff.

This shit might be my holy grail. Taste the barrel & the bugs? Fuck yeah. Why can’t more breweries figure this out? This is a beautiful beer, artfully done. Excellent.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

22oz bomber, bottled 02/18/2014, batch 03/case 1492. Served in a Duvel Tulip.

Appearance: Black with a full glass, but more of a cola brown with some ruby red highlights as the glass got less full. Thin tan ring with some small strands and occasional dots of persistent lacing.

Smell: Bourbon, rye whiskey aroma dominate, but not overpowering. There are some other smells under that bourbon barrel / whiskey smell. In fact, it's quite appealing - like a fine aged whiskey. Maybe just a hint of tart fruits....but I could be confusing that aroma I can't quite place with the taste of this beer.

Taste: With 7 different aged beers all blended together it's amazing to me that this beer has some distinct flavors, but it does. Definite whiskey/bourbon flavors, wood tannins, a tartness that mellows out a bit as the beer warms up (sour tart cherry), with a roasty finish that has hints of chocolate, coffee, and more whiskey notes.

Mouthfeel: Juicy, sticky, and light carbonation.

Overall / Drinkability: A slow sipping beer, but it grew on me with every sip. The initial pour when it was still cold was very tart, mouth puckeringly so, and I was worried I might not be able to finish it, but then more of the flavors came out and it was still a sour beer, but with enough other flavor to compensate for it. I think I would be in serious trouble to finish off a whole bottle myself (I shared this one with the Mrs.) but I handled my big Duvel glass pour and was glad to have it. I had paired this with Pizza and it didn't quite go. Not sure what type of food to pair this with. Something more substantial I think. Could go with a dessert though - the tartness might pair well with cheesecake or a fruit tart.

3.89/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

4.04/5  rDev +2%

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter. Dark purple/black with a sustained 1/8th inch head. Aroma: figs, plums, dark grapes, alcohol. Almost smells like an expensive merlot but with some barrel notes and wild yeast funk. Taste: slightly mouth puckering with tons of dark fruit and smooth wood undertones. The high abv is present but feels appropriate. As each sip ended I got a nice combo of dark grains and sour funk. Very enjoyable beer. I think this beer could turn a wine lover on to big, funky barrel aged beers. Wish I bought another to cellar.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%