Funky Jewbelation 2014 - Shmaltz Brewing Company

Funky Jewbelation 2014Funky Jewbelation 2014

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: JShelbyS on 03-15-2014)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by barczar:
4.16/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a clear deep brown with frothy tan head that dissipates to a ring of foam.

Balsamic vinegar notes and fairly sweet caramel malt dominate the aroma. There's a hint of phenols.

Chocolate and deeply toasted, lightly toasted malt form the backbone, with acetic acid providing contrast. Very complex flavor profile, which finishes a bit burnt and with a touch of buttery diacetyl.

Body is light, with moderate to light carbonation. Alcohol is somewhat well hidden, but warms the body.

Interesting contrast of malt character and sourness. Menthol surfaces at the finish. Strange, but I like it.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Picked up because I like Shmaltz’s stuff quite a bit. And hey, I have a Jewish friend. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife, bottled 2/18/14.

And we have a gusher! Popping the cork necessitates a towel, & there are just too many ways to go with that, so I’ll leave it lie. The pour is dead dark, with spare red around the edges, someplace between a stout & a porter. The head fades faster than a Kenau Reeves performance. The nose is an overhand smash of fruitiness, with lobs of tartness & wood tannins. Smells like a strange wine.

Funky Jewbelation 2014 charges me up. Seriously: a wildish beer where you can actually taste the barrel is about as common as getting an ogre ride. Barrels figure prominently here with a wide slash of whiskey/bourbon warming all the way down, backed by a prominent dose of fruity cherries (sans stem) that impart only a mild tartness. Sweet malts dance into the mid-palate, barrel staves provide dry humor, but closing the deal is that exquisite balance of barrel & wild. I could have taken this bomber into my tummy alone, & I don’t say that often about wildish stuff.

This shit might be my holy grail. Taste the barrel & the bugs? Fuck yeah. Why can’t more breweries figure this out? This is a beautiful beer, artfully done. Excellent.

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

22oz bomber, bottled 02/18/2014, batch 03/case 1492. Served in a Duvel Tulip.

Appearance: Black with a full glass, but more of a cola brown with some ruby red highlights as the glass got less full. Thin tan ring with some small strands and occasional dots of persistent lacing.

Smell: Bourbon, rye whiskey aroma dominate, but not overpowering. There are some other smells under that bourbon barrel / whiskey smell. In fact, it's quite appealing - like a fine aged whiskey. Maybe just a hint of tart fruits....but I could be confusing that aroma I can't quite place with the taste of this beer.

Taste: With 7 different aged beers all blended together it's amazing to me that this beer has some distinct flavors, but it does. Definite whiskey/bourbon flavors, wood tannins, a tartness that mellows out a bit as the beer warms up (sour tart cherry), with a roasty finish that has hints of chocolate, coffee, and more whiskey notes.

Mouthfeel: Juicy, sticky, and light carbonation.

Overall / Drinkability: A slow sipping beer, but it grew on me with every sip. The initial pour when it was still cold was very tart, mouth puckeringly so, and I was worried I might not be able to finish it, but then more of the flavors came out and it was still a sour beer, but with enough other flavor to compensate for it. I think I would be in serious trouble to finish off a whole bottle myself (I shared this one with the Mrs.) but I handled my big Duvel glass pour and was glad to have it. I had paired this with Pizza and it didn't quite go. Not sure what type of food to pair this with. Something more substantial I think. Could go with a dessert though - the tartness might pair well with cheesecake or a fruit tart.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

4.04/5  rDev +1.8%

3.91/5  rDev -1.5%

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter. Dark purple/black with a sustained 1/8th inch head. Aroma: figs, plums, dark grapes, alcohol. Almost smells like an expensive merlot but with some barrel notes and wild yeast funk. Taste: slightly mouth puckering with tons of dark fruit and smooth wood undertones. The high abv is present but feels appropriate. As each sip ended I got a nice combo of dark grains and sour funk. Very enjoyable beer. I think this beer could turn a wine lover on to big, funky barrel aged beers. Wish I bought another to cellar.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%