2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

He'Brew Messiah Bold - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Messiah BoldHe'Brew Messiah Bold

poor

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 09-13-2003)
View: Beers (40) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Messiah Bold Alström Bros
Ratings: 482 | Reviews: 356 | Show All Ratings:
lespaulrocker

2.6/5  rDev -24%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark, when held to the light it appears to be a mahogany/cherry color. One finger brown head. Minimal to no lacing.

S: Wow, a lot of malt right up front, dominates any other smell. Cherry, brown sugar, maybe some toffee.

T: First sip I thought it was purely water. Almost no taste. As the beer warmed and I drank more, more flavors began to appear. Hints of cherry and chocolate. A little nutty. Not altogether pleasant, but not unpleasant.

M: Too much carbonation and very thin and watery.

D: Decent. It took me awhile to get through because I wasn't really enjoying it.

I won't be seeking this out again. I bought purely for the novelty of it. I'm a senior theology major so the Messiah title immediately stood out to me, and I laughed out loud at the tagline, "The beer you've been waiting for." If this is the beer I've been waiting for, then I don't appreciate beer. Skip this one.

02-08-2011 01:57:17 | More by lespaulrocker
gabedivision

3.83/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pint glass.

A- Very dark brown non transparent with a light lace of white skimming the top and sides of glass.

S- Smells of caramel and nuts, very sugary and nutty and malty.

T- Sweet and fruity on the tongue and hop and malts on the finish.

M- Very bold and sugary could pass as a porter.

D- Good stuff, will def seek it out again.

02-02-2011 04:51:36 | More by gabedivision
jadpsu

Georgia

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

I had their light brown ale and loved it so I thought I would try this.
Outstanding pour. This pours a dark brown with little amber, ruby hues. A great sticky head that also provides some great side glass lacing.
Aroma- a lot of maltiness, led by caramel along with some chocolate and coffee scents. Do not pick up hops, so balance could be better.
Thick on the tongue, dry and bitter at the finish. Not as sweet as the aroma suggested.
I liked it, but not as much as their light brown.

01-26-2011 22:52:21 | More by jadpsu
tapman

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

Rocky, tawny brown head atop dark body. Color is a dark brown with red hints when held to the light. I wish most browns were this dark and I understand that my color bias is 100% personal opinion.

Prunes make the nose for me mixed with an artificial grape aroma, like that of a grape Jolly Rancher. This one smells closer to an export stout or something.

Rich chocolate flavor with some fruity, estery products. Hops are very small and a little floral. Medium bitterness in the finish as well as a cocoa taste.

I wish that it was a little thicker to match the taste.

I think that this is a pretty good brown. A lot of stuff going on and fitting to the style, yet a bit more robust than others. Would be great on tap as a sessioner.

01-26-2011 01:27:40 | More by tapman
foogerd

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

A- Dark brown with amber highlights when held to the light. Thick khaki head that died off after about a minute but left wonderful lacing.

S- Light coffee brown sugar and brown toasty breads.

T- Roasted nuts with a brown sugar coating, very dry finish with a hint of spicy hops. Not as sweet as I would like to see from a Brown Ale.

M- Highly carbonated with a thin body, again this is not to style from what im used to.

D- Decent enough to have as a stand by.

01-23-2011 03:22:32 | More by foogerd
BerkeleyBeerMan

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: pours a huge bubbly foamy head with good lacing. No carbonation. Beer has a hybrid red/chestnut color.

Smell: nutty roasted malts hints of chocolate leaving. Hops have cherry and date notes.

Taste: butterscotch with a chalky mocha finish. Hops are barely present. Doesn't have an interesting finish.

Mouthfeel: heavy foamy mouthfeel. bitter on the tounge.

Drinkability: I'm not too fond of this. It should have more character for how hoppy it is. I might try making a half and half with it. It's got fun packaging. I remember this being one of the first micro brews I ever had. I would recommend this too people who like malty desert beers.

01-18-2011 03:11:38 | More by BerkeleyBeerMan
WhiteOak

Connecticut

A- Tea colored, with a red edge to the light. Light brown head with some lace.

S- Rusty iron and roasted malt aroma.

T- One dimensional sweet roasted malt flavors. That's about it. Could use something else... hops? Oak?

M, D - Lacking inspiration to drink enough to finish a bottle, I found this a poor value.

01-14-2011 19:08:55 | More by WhiteOak
BatDaddy

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Pours a deep mahogany brown with a good finger of tan head with nice retention.

S - Sweet malts and a robust nuttiness. Some dark fruits and toffee. Faint chocolate notes.

T & M - Taste follows the nose pretty well. Nice nutty malty flavor with some mellow sweetness. A little buttery. Very faint hop bitterness rounds it out. Nothing too flashy, but flavorful and pleasant. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

D - Very good. I could certainly have another.

I'm surprised I like this as much as I do, especially after browsing some of the other reviews here. Browns are one of my favorites though, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Overall, a solid beer.

01-12-2011 04:50:02 | More by BatDaddy
Mora2000

3.85/5  rDev +12.6%

The beer pours a dark brown color with a cream-colored head. The aroma is a mix of chocolate and roasted malt. The aroma is a little more subtle than I would have liked, but there is nothing objectionable about it.

The flavor is more complex and more enjoyable. I get some chocolate and roasted malt, as well as some cream notes. Overall, the beer is very nutty and tastes a lot like a nice nut brown ale. I also get a little bit of coffee in the flavor, but it is subtle.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

12-31-2010 05:53:57 | More by Mora2000
TheStig

2.73/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Translucent dark brown with a hint of red, like a cherry coke. Average, khaki-colored head.
S: Nothing very prominent outside of a slight caramel smell. This isn't very "bold."
T: Rather breadlike. Neutral, unoffensive and lacking a defining taste. Some hoppy bitterness as it's going down, but that's not very prominent. A very slight, heavy sweetness-- like molasses-- lurks in there somewhere, but it's almost indiscernable.
M: Smooth, somewhat creamy. Aids in knocking these back.
D: It's not a bad beer, but it's just not "bold." It's easy to drink because of this, but it's not a beer to savor. Eh.

12-29-2010 06:05:42 | More by TheStig
rembrant

3.35/5  rDev -2%

Pour is dark brown but some transparancy.2 finger cream color froth and lots of lace. Looks good

Aroma Roasty malts,bread crust,a hint of dark fruit.

Taste Rather decent dark beer but less robust than I anticipated (so far). I'm letting it warm more to see if it gets richer with more body or action. Well...it sweetened up a tad but is still a tad flat and watery. The flavor has that British hops finish,like Bell's Brown,kind of wooden. Otherwise the flavors are good but seem a tad weak.

Mouth Where it falls apart.

A Brown should NOT be "a bit watery" or a "bit flat"....and this is both. Hard for it to matchup vs Tumbler or Dark Horse Boffo,in particular. Odd...it's LOOK suggested it should have ample body and liveliness.

Drinkability Okay, in that there's no nasty taste,but it's underwhelming. If I had a lot,It would go down okay,I doubt I revisit it.

12-24-2010 05:59:41 | More by rembrant
Malina

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Drunk from the bottle in my hotel room, I couldn't evaluate appearance (though the quirky label had a nice blurb to read).

S: Well, smelling from a bottle is also a slight challenge, it appeared to be pretty standard for a brown ale.

T: I felt this to be pretty light for a brown ale, and lacked the sweet syrupyness that I often seek from my darker and/or winter brews. I found it even more strange that the very traits I had been expecting, but found absent, are the same traits described by so many other reviewers. Also, as the beer warmed slightly, I became aware of a hint of well-aged cheddar at the end of each drink. (To fully disclaim, I've gone dairy-free in the last few months, and cheese is my most missed food).

M: Again, a lighter feel than I expected, and completely lacked the syrupy coating of the mouth that comes with this style.

D: lower ABV than many of the darks I drink, combined with the lighter taste and mouthfeel make this a beer I could comfortably drink all night.

12-18-2010 22:15:52 | More by Malina
OWSLEY069

3.03/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a brown to deep amber color with a light tan head. In the aroma, roasty nuttiness and a sweet caramel. In the taste, just like the aroma, nutty and caramel. Mainly smooth and a medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry caramel stickiness in the aftertaste. Standard kind of brown ale that is kind of sticky sweet.

12-15-2010 13:59:06 | More by OWSLEY069
NODAK

4.22/5  rDev +23.4%

Smells just like what i'd expect it to...rich dark malts...caramel sweetness...pretty thick. Molasses.

Flavor wise, I don't think anybody will accuse it of being ridiculously flavorful for its style. There's a distinct nuttiness upfront along with sweet caramel...there's also a hint of chocolate hiding in there as well. They're far from overpowering though. Pretty middle of the road. Hops are pretty much non-existant in this beer.

It's pretty good. Very drinkable and smooth. I actually a favor a beer that doesn't try to do too much, so I find this highly quaffable. I could have quite a few.

12-02-2010 01:47:59 | More by NODAK
ferrari29

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A - 1 finger foam beige colored rocky foam formed; dark brown body, almost black in appearance; alive with carbonation; looks very thin at first glance, definitely different than stouts that are colored the same way; average amount of lacing

S - Smells like a bitter brown ale; reminds me of a Newcastle; smell is also smoky with a nut & caramel kick; smells crisp and refreshing on the nose

T - Tastes like it smells; complex taste of caramel, smoky malts, nuts, spices and tastes a bit ashy; flavor starts at the back of the mouth and disappears very quickly; followed up with a slightly bitter aftertaste; not impressed

M - Viscosity of the liquid is very thin; effervescent w/ bubbly feeling over the tongue; almost feels and tastes like your drinking water; I'm not quite sure what balance the brewer was going for over here, but its lacking in substance

D - I was not impressed with this beer, especially since I really enjoyed the Bittersweet R.I.P.A & Genesis Ale beers Shmaltz has made; drinkable if you like light flavored beers, otherwise I would pass on having another one

12-01-2010 23:31:24 | More by ferrari29
Mitchster

4.03/5  rDev +17.8%

$9.79 for a 12oz 6'er @ Mercharts. Brewed with 2-row, Carapils, Dark Crystal/ Caramel 80L, Dark Chocolate, and Victory malts. Hopped with Warrior, Cascade, Mt. Hood. No stats on the bottle or website.

Pours out to a very dark clear dark walnut, forming a small yellow head with average retention and sparse lacing. Moderate to mild carbonation. The aroma is nutty (roasted chestnuts), slightly buttery, with subtle herbaceous hops and dark fruit. The mouthfeel is soft and clean with a medium body. Robust on the palate with notes of cocoa, black walnut, lightly spicy hops, with a mild to moderate herbal bitterness and an earthy finish. No off-flavors.

This is a robust, hearty brown ale that lies somewhere between an amber ale and a porter. It's richer than the 5.6% ABV would lead you to expect. Brown ales aren't my favorite, but this one is pretty good and I could see myself buying it again sometime.

11-23-2010 02:32:21 | More by Mitchster
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%

You'd think for a (bold!) 'Son of God' the beer would sport some kind of halo (or at least a kippah to profess its faith in the matter). But no, it comes completely bare and was spared not even a shred to make lacing. Its plain, very dark brown body has no highlighting what so ever and shows about as much sign of coming to life as my chair or dresser.

Just as there are no highlights in the appearance, there are no nuances in the aroma neither. There's a lot of toasty brown malt but that's...about...it. Usually it's easy to feign a hint of this or that, especially for an American brown ale style that is characteristically quite aromatic, but my nose has gotten tired of sniffing. It's just that plain.

Which is a shame because the taste is really pleasant; that prevalent base of toasty brown malts is bestowed a little roast, a dash of cocoa and a generous amount of nutty flavour (pecan especially) and tons upon tons of smeared, squished fruits and dried fruits (including, in particular, figs, prunes and raisins). Those flavours relinquish little.

The mouthfeel is about as well-stocked as a Communist-era Soviet grocery shelf; there is very little of anything and certainly nothing glitzy. Apart from the minimal amount of roast barely anything is perceived; even the fruity, sugary sweetness is short lived once the beer is swallowed. Despite its lightness on the palate it sits heavy in the belly.

False alarm - He'Brew Messiah Bold is a good beer but it's far too pedestrian to be called a King of kings or Lord of lords. I personally would consider it no better than average for its style and near the bottom of the Shmaltz Brewing/He'Brew totem-pole. If shopping for "Chosen Beer" choose another of their offerings, like the fantastic Lenny's R.I.P.A.

11-12-2010 21:31:32 | More by biegaman
whisperjet

Connecticut

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

a: Pours a very dark brown. Head is thin but retains well. Beer looks dark and creamy.

s: Very malty, a hint of chocolate. Smell is bold as the name suggests but not overwhelming.

t: Malty and sweet, lots of flavor. Coffee and chocolate are prevalent. A bit thin tasting but the sugary, malty undertones are nice.

m: Like I said before, a bit thin for my taste with this style. I would have like a lot more presence in the mouth, especially with a taste that I really enjoyed.

d: Very drinkable but leaves a little bit to be desired. Would buy again for sure.

11-11-2010 03:28:11 | More by whisperjet
stephiehefe

Washington

4.13/5  rDev +20.8%

Yes, the Messiah has arrived...and not how we expected. IN A BOTTLE. Awesome. A garden in Eden may suit some folks...but for myself, paradise is a land of beer and brats, not milk and honey. :)

That being said, this Messiah Bold beer doesn't knock my socks off, but it's one that I certainly keep on hand for those days when nothing but a good beer can provide the salvation I crave :).

The greatest asset for this beer the mouthfeel. It's smooth and drinkable...and compliments my favorite sourdough bagel with cream cheese, lox, red onion, and capers.

11-04-2010 05:05:18 | More by stephiehefe
JoeAmerican77

Colorado

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Black ruby hearted pour with a medium bubble head of tan foam.

Smells like coffee, anise and caramel almost like a rich Lion porter.

Tastes of sweet chocolate, slightly bitter coffee and butterscotch, lots of roasted malts, really quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is the downpoint, a little too watery here but doesn't really dictate the whole beer. Decent Small carbonation.

Very drinkable, I would put this on a go to list for dark unhoppy beers.

Great price, for a six pack 9 dollars.

10-31-2010 02:13:51 | More by JoeAmerican77
CHILLINDYLAN

Washington

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

Deep blackened cherry, burgandy edges. Frothy dense tan cap. Good retention. Patchy laces.

Sweet candied dates. currants. carmelized nuts. Roasty, mild smoke, wood. Faint herbal and citrus.

Dark fruit and candied dates. Carmelized nuts, mild roasty coffee. A kosher mild bitterness.

Med body, lighter than appearance. Slightly drying, slighly sticky. Med carbonation.

Pretty drinkable. Overall a pretty kosher brew.

10-25-2010 19:27:44 | More by CHILLINDYLAN
Soonami

2.95/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

He'Brew Messiah Bold is not worthy of the name of the Savior. It is a very average brown ale that is lacking the big flavors and impact that we have come to expect from well-crafted American Browns. The beer is a solid brown, with good clarity and a little sandy colored head. The smell is of bittersweet chocolate, carob and raisin or fig. The beer tastes a little roasty, very fruity and not very citrusy or bitter. To me this is more like an english taddy porter or southern English Brown and American. This is an okay beer, but pretty boring

10-12-2010 05:23:11 | More by Soonami
Brenden

3.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

These notes are fairly old, but thorough as always.

This beer is a deep, not dark but thick (if that makes sense) brown color with red highlights. Head retention is fair but nothing special, and there is a little thin, spotty lacing left behind. Carbonation persists as long as any is left in the glass.
The smell is nice and pretty much what I expect for a brown. Caramel and toffee sweetness, a little bit of nuttiness and a touch of semi-sweet chocolate all sit beneath a strong malt backbone that adds a touch of a roasted aroma. I really just wish it wasn't so tame; I need to strain for what is otherwise a really quality nose.
Something doesn't quite match up in the flavor, and an overbearing carbonation throws things off. It gets a little milder, and a touch of dark fruits makes everything a little too tangy in the finish. Above average, but lacking.
This one gets too thin, and the carbonation hurts it here. It turns a little astringent as well. There should be more smoothness here too. It's not watery, and it's not BMC lame and bland, but it's watery, lame and bland for what it should be.
Overall this isn't a bad brew, but this one needs a much smoother, fuller, more robust mouthfeel and the carbonation really needs to be toned down.

10-09-2010 13:32:47 | More by Brenden
BeerAdvocate

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine June 2007.

There aren't too many KSA (Kosher Certified) beers on the market today--it's definitely a niche within a niche. We dropped in a bit of Matisyahu to listen to while we consumed this beverage. We're not sure if it helped.

Pours out as a brown-colored, amber-tinged brew, with fine clarity. Decent head retention with a spatter of clinging lace. Malty aromas of chocolate and coffee meet with a faint brown sugar center. Solid medium body with a sufficient carbonation for a brown ale. A stodgy maltiness to start, reminiscent of a light roast coffee, featuring a hint of carob and a quick flash of caramel on the taste buds. Mild on the hops with a clean floral and citric bitterness. Clean all around with a mild roasted character in the semi-dry finish.

This brown was around before brown was in, and it's a rich and delicious one at that. We did not go running to the market for gefilte fish to pair with this beer, but a slow-cooked beef brisket, potato salad and red cabbage did the trick. Cheers to Jeremy Cowan for keeping it real.

09-27-2010 18:44:25 | More by BeerAdvocate
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

3.03/5  rDev -11.4%

Dull brown ale, drinkable but with little to remember it for.

Presentation: 12 oz brown capped bottle. He'Brew label, with all the repetitive nods to the Jewish heritage of the ale, name of the branding presiding with a small illustration of the iconic character over a drawing of the Northern hemisphere. Side narrative offers an overview of the brew, intent, and best wishes. Notes Kosher certification. Served in a nonic glass.

A - Dark brown pour with an early generous head, medium to low retention, poor surface memory and lacing.

S - Lightly malty nose, faint roasted sense in the back, very subdued.

T - Lightly malty, nothing bold here as the brew brags, tiny hoppy touch over a light caramel and roasted sense.

M - Medium-ligh body and carbonation a tad watery in the feel.

D - Hmmm, not as terrible as it may sound, and not an awful choice but quite forgettable.

Notes: Hmmm, best value is in the Kosher certification and the play with Jewish identity and pride, which can be entertaining and handy socially, but other than that there is much better out there to chose from.

09-22-2010 21:28:19 | More by Daniellobo