He'Brew Genesis 10:10 - Shmaltz Brewing Company

good

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

A huge balance of specialty malts, pounds and pounds of American and European hops, brewed with a hint of luscious Pomegranate juice.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006)
2.45/5  rDev -34%

Pours out a hazy chestnut. nose of sweet toffee and tangy fruit. Taste- sweet and syrupy. Woody tobacco like hops. Has a cough syrup taste from the fruit and same sort of thick viscous consistency. Not something I look for in a beer. Fairly hot to boot. This is a tough drink. Can't say that I enjoyed.

2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

I've never had a pomegranate beer before. My daughter wanted to try it. Nobody liked it, so I got to sample the entire 22oz bottle. I'm sorry I did. It was a reddish/brown color with a medium sized head. It did have a fruity odor, but was also kind of musty. It was unpleasantly bitter, with a strong alcohol presence. I couldn't detect any pomegranate, or any fruit for that matter. This was a harsh-tasting beer, one I had to struggle to drink.

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark copper color,with red tinges, and a one finger head. Head falls into a small blanket over top of the glass, and tiny bubbles trail up the sides until the end of the bottle, just like champagne. Quite nice to look at.

Aroma is slightly fruity, and alcoholic. I also detect a slight amount of roasted grain. Mild aroma, where not much jumps out.

flavor is oddly disappointing. For being a beer supposedly brewed with 10,000 pomegranates, there is no fruit flavor at all. The flavor that is there is slighty malty and roasted, with a bitter hoppy finish. Alcohol makes itself prevalent after the first few sips, and tends to burn your tongue a bit after that, therefore drinkability is low. Mouthfeel is rather slick and oily, but not unpleasant.

I was really hoping for more out of this beer. To me it tastes like a half-assed barley wine, and nothing like a fruit beer.

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%

amber colored, some carbonation and a small wussy little head. smells like pomegranetes (surprize!) and mild floral hops. taste is fruity and a bit harsh, like they went overboard on the pom. I dont generally think of pomegranete as a great idea for beer in the first place anyway and so to have it be all about the pom is not exciting for me. not particularly tasty, im afraid. another guy drinking it with us loved it though so maybe the pom is just appealing to some and not to others. ill stick with lenny's RIPA from He'Brew (excellent).

2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

A medium brown-orange colour with a tick yellow tinged head. Head fades after just a couple of minutes.

First whiff when there was a lot of head gave the impression of a hoppy barley wine or a double IPA. Once the head faded, the smell almost becomes weak, a faint fruit juice aroma is picked up.

Up front the taste is sweet and fruity, and quite pleasant. I believe I can pick up the pomegranate up front, but I've only ever had pomegranate once, so I wouldn't count on it. The finish is unfortunately not so pleasant. The alcohol burn is quite sharp, like poorly made scotch. Some citrus hop flavour tries to make itself known, but is quickly overwhelmed by the alcohol. Not to my liking overall.

Mouthfeel has the thickness that most big beers have, but I find the carbonation a little coarse. Still it isn't bad.

A big beer that lets you know it is big. Maybe some age would settle it down?

2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

2006 Bottling; Sampled May 2008
This has been sitting at the back of my fridge for quite some time now, don't know why I never got to it but...

A vigorous pour produces a three finger thick, tan colored head that just rises above the rim of my 25cl tulip glass. The beer is a clear, rich amber hue that shows a brilliantly clear copper-amber color when held up to the light. The aroma is fruity with just a touch of a spice edge to it. Aromas of cherries, mahleb perhaps, berries, woody pepper and a touch of earthy spiciness. A touch of age is perhaps just noticeable, it really adds only a touch of Port-like aromas.

Smooth and creamy up front, but it quickly becomes a bit fizzy as it rolls across the tongue. It finishes with a hot alcohol note and a bit of astringency that is accentuated by the same. A berry-like fruitiness is found in towards the front and middle of this beer before the astringency and hot alcohol in the finish drown it out. A touch of toasty malt towards the finish almost seems to have a touch of roast character to it (but that might just be the alcohol influence again). This is probably more fruity than anything with flavors that remind me of cherries, currants and perhaps a touch of pomegranate (this last not nearly as distinct as one might expect). This is not super heavy bodied for a beer of this strength, but does have some heft to it.

I am surprised how present the alcohol is still, I would have figured after two years it would have mellowed out some. I am really disappointed in this beer, despite the fact that I held on to it for so long, it is worse than I expected. This could still age quite well for at least another couple years and may even improve.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

the beer looks great decanted into a thick tulip.. it's glowing a bright, deep red and some sticky, shifting lace adorns the top ridge of the beer. the clarity, uniformity of color, light fuzz and heavy fizz brings to mind sparkling red wine. appetizing to look at and im ready to dive in

smells of alcohol and spoiled fruit. some penicillin in the nose as well, very malty and the malt has gone haywire. deeper nasal whiffs burn my sinuses with a nail polish remover type burn up. smells as big as it is, and even bigger. not aromatically pleasing imho.

first sip at cellar temp starts out belgiany.. is it the rich malts, the hint of red fruits perhaps? a quick slap of american dubbel quickly transitions into a sickly sweet and bitingly bitter strong ale. the fruit being used here doesn't contribute much except for off flavors. the aftertaste to the beer is a mix of muddled hops and artificial, saccharine fruitiness. imagine mixing vodka and diet pomegranate ginger ale. it has that same weird flavor as jello mix and hot water combined in a precongealed state. despite all of this, it's not the hardest thing to drink.

i think it's because the basic characteristics are similar to other hebrew beers that i've enjoyed in the past. perhaps its their yeast strain or their choice of subtle hops.. thinking about my recent run-in with the delicious 'RIPA' gets me through the two glasses of this kooky brew.

for the price, you might as well try it.. if you can find it.. just don't expect miracles. like weyerbacher's decadence, they shot for something exotic and grandiose and missed the mark. noble effort, not something i would revisit.

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Bomber poured into a modified tulip, it forms a thin but stubborn white head that leaves behind plenty of DNA. Light copper body and an assortment of fine carbonation.

Fruity is the theme to this brew. Alcohol will splash in and out...mostly in. Malts are rich, bready and caramel come to the forefront. Candied at times. Tinny at times. About halfway through its almost like melted sugarcane. Suprisingly though it is not all that rich. Fruity and Citrus smack down a bit of the cloying sweetness. I've got it!! Candy Corn. In the end I would have to give this a thumb sideways. Some will love this but I did not. Sweet and citrusy didn't come together.

Notes: Odd but it worked. The backend hops save this even if they are an afterthought. Will try again. Not a beer I'll be hunting down its release. This is more of a run across flier mcgillicutty.

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

m22 oz bomber. Pours a solid deep golden color with amber highlites. This one has good clarity, and a finger of off white head that falls to a full coat over top. The aroma is interesting. There is definately a fruityness. It is not decidedly pomegranate, but fruity. There is a moderate caramel in there too, along with a moderate citrusy hop. I'm not sure how I feel about the combination. The flavor is right there with the aroma. Fruity (almost berry-like), caramel and a touch of orangey hop. I am not a big fan of this, as it doesn't blend well to me. There is a mild bitterness on the finish, and I think that is what keeps me from enjoying it more. The feel is right at moderate with a light to modetate carbonation. Overall, this is not something I think I will look for again. Thinking about it, the flavor is a little solventy from the combination of flavors. It is not well blended.

3.08/5  rDev -17%

22 oz bomber, poured into an imperial pint glass. Chunky egg shell white head that stands up tall up front and drops down to a mild lace. Color is a clear copper orange.
Smell is mild, but sweet. There is a juicy quality to it. Taste is an herbal spiciness, with a predominant malt character. Finishes with a slight tobacco flavor.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a mild sticky finish.
This is interesting, not unpleasant, but nothing I would get again.

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

A: Clean, festive looking beer...sort of a pumpkin saffron color. Head is nice and pillowy, oatmeal colored.

S: Lots of red fruits, spicy rye, sweet malts and light hops.

T: A slurry of flavors sort of all at once, most of which are a variety of malty grains. Some spicy, some extremely sweet....which also might be the pomegranite juice. Caramel tones are present, mingling between the unbalanced malts. Most of the hops are getting steamrolled by the malt, but they are there...but mostly only the bitterness is apparent. Finishes cloying and sticky

M: Full body, fuzzy mouthfeel.

D: I feel like this beer was throw together and not really crafted. Hodpe podge of flavors all swirling about with no real direction.

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

This is quite the oddity of a beer. Kind of hard to explain in terms of style.

The beer pours to a deep ruby color with a slight mahogany tint. Plenty of off-white head with a good retention. Decent lacing. No carbonation bubbles apparent, not even coming from the etching on the bottom of my Unibroue tulip. Looks good enough.

Smells alright. There is some good traits, but covered up under the tangy pommegranate is a malt flavor that I don't think I will agree with. Biscuity and sweet with a hint of DMS aroma.

The taste is alright as well. I don't think pommegranate works well with this "style" of beer, however, or at least the way it was utilized in the brewing process (not that I know of any other ways that would work better). Too tangy with a sharp tannin. The bitterness is biting and harsh with a weak toasted biscuit and raisiny malt flavor. Finishes bitter and sour, which isn't a great combination, especially with the lingering malt taste with a small hint of DMS.

The body is fairly thick with a very light carbonation. The 10% alcohol is hardly noticable. Fairly harsh hops bitterness with little of the flavor. Not too drinkable. Probably not something I will want to try again in the future, but I thought it was a funny novelty item.

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

Pour a slightly clouded deep amber with red hues, and is capped by a tight creamy tan head. Good retention and some lace left behind.

Aroma is similar to a Belgian dubbel - fruity esters and burnt sugar, with grassy hops and a hint of berry. Mild alcohol brings up the rear.

Tangy sweet-tart flavor of sugary malt and fruit. Lots of burnt caramel that gets too sugary. Pomegranate is noticeable but does not mesh well with the burnt malt. Alcohol is a little too assertive as well with booziness really coming through. Finishes dry and astringent. Interesting but just not working for me.

Full bodied and creamy, but way too cloying. Gets a little rough after a while. Didn't think the alcohol would be as much as an issue with some age on this beer, but I was wrong.

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got this beer from a local liquor store that had them in a bin and the bomber were a dollar each. Now that I have looked it up I know why...it was brewed in 2006 and they still had a bunch so let se how it tastes 4 years later.
It pours a dirty brown very cloudy with a light tan head.
It smells very sweet and rich. Some spicy notes and very fuity.
The sweet fruity smell is over balanced in the taste with bitterness from hops. If there was any hop flavor in this beer it is long gone 4 years later as expected. Spicy flavor with some berry flavor for a very short time near the end.
This beer has a lot going on and is very over powering. The flavors are not melding very well at this age.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

22oz, brewed in 2006

Pours a clear orange color. Seems very carbonated. Very large tan/off white head that fades after about a minute. Smell is sweet and malty. Fruity, with no hops to speak of. Syrupy mouthfeel. Alcohol is readily apparent. Surprisingly, not much going on in the flavor department. Fruity, which I am assuming is from the pomegranate, but all flavors seem to be restrained. Aftertaste is sticky and sweet but fades quickly. I didn’t find it very complex or interesting for a 10% beer.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

22 oz brown bottle,sent to me from Sudsdog. Poured into a flaired tuliup glass.

Cloudy deep amber with glowing ruby rede highlights.A 2" creamy tan head streams of tightly knitted ting bubbles surging all around the sides of the glass,lots of sediment/yeast particles at the bottom of the glass.

Fruity esters,perfumy,dry grassiness,the flaired tulip glass did the aromas justice.

An earthy/grassy first impression,with a tangy and tart fruitiness.Heavy burnt carmelly malt tastes always arising from the background.Finishes very dry,astrigent.

Very creamy mouthfeel with medium cloyingness.Turned rough as the beer warms with booziness reallt coming through. Left a dry wine-like aftertaste. Would have a better finish with the right food paring.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: Well after trying the 8th and 9th Anniversary brews from Schmaltz, I simply could not resist lifting the 10th off the Shelf when I spied it. As with the other Anniversaries, this one arrives in a 22 ounce Bomber. My bottle looks just like the one on BA, a large orange “10” sits behind a red banner that has the words ‘He’Brew The Chosen beer’. This years birthday beer is called “Genesis 10:10”. Listed as “10th Anniversary ale brewed with our chosen specialty malts, hops, brewer’s yeast and pomegranate juice”. Lots of bum fluff blurb to the left explain the background to this beer. Limited Release posted at 10% ABV. Kosher Certified,

Appearance: Deep ruby red with some rusty orange flashes and a hazed body. Tan colored head starts thick and crusty, but soon it falls down to leave a handful of Saturn-like rings of lacing which layer the glass during the drink. Carbonation levels are pretty good. The head never disappears but it does

Nose: Light sweetness, some hops, a smattering of malts, pungent ethanolic alcohol and a rather dry grapefruit finish. Has a lingering bittersweet that can border on being annoying.

Taste: Bitterness is the mark of this brew, it’s in the nose and aftertaste and even starts the proceedings. The bitterness is not purely hoppy though, it has a sharp astringent grapefruit slash to its nature. In the background the malts and hops. Some beery-malts laden with alcohol and dark chocolate oranges. The finish is very unbalanced with a harsh coarse rough acrid finish which spirals out of control very quickly.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is here, but it is the rough alcohol that puts flesh onto the skeleton. Sharp, grabbing rabid and uncouth – this is a messy angular spiky brew which is hard to swallow, I don’t like beers that I can’t cuddle with my mouth.

Drinkability: Starts as an enjoyable brew, that is not that big on the Pomegranate angle, but soon it sadly starts to lean to one side and off-kilter. It suffers from an acrid bitterness that strips away the contribution from the other elements and leaves a rather unbalanced offering that turns harsh very quickly. Drinkability suffers and whilst it is not quite a drain pour, the time between mouthfuls tended to increase as I worked my way down the Bomber.

Overall: Nice enough start with the looks but somehow it falls short of the mark for me. Given the choice of picking up more of the 10th or the Bittersweet Lenny’s (which I tried last night) the smutty mouthed Bittersweet Lenny’s RIPA wins hands down.

Happy Birthday to Schmaltz!

poured from a 22oz. bomber into an Imperial pint glass

A: perhaps I poured this too fast, but it foamed up like a mutha on me; the beer itself forms a nice, slightly cloudy orange/copper color with, as mentioned, a ginormous, frothy off-white head that leaves an equal amount of lacing.

S: given what I've read about this beer, I was expecting a very malty, sweet aroma. That wasn't entirely the case. It is definitely malted, and sweet in a caramel-ish way, but I detect almost no pomegranate, which I was hoping for.

T: I'm immediately reminded of a big Belgian ale, almost syrupy in its sweetness. It's all malts up front, and still, not much in the way of pomegranates. As the sweetness fades, the "10" hops kick in and finish each swallow with some bitter crispness. Not too bad.

M: probably my favorite part of this beer, it's velvety and creamy, with just the right amount of subtle carbonation. I really enjoyed how the beer felt in the mouth.

D: not a beer I'd go to over & over again, it seems to be stuck on sweet and not too much else, and at 10% ABV, well, you're not really going to be drinking a lot of it anyway.

It's an okay beer, I have one more in the fridge, I'll probably pair it with a slice of cheesecake one night, not sure if I'd buy again.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear dark copper to almost amber-brown with an off-white moussy head which rose tall and stayed well to lace the glass.

The aroma was malty and fruity with a strong caramel malt presence and a lightly grassy, citrusy and spicy hop aroma. The fruity aspect had a grape character, like fresh grape juice.

The flavor was malty but with a substantial bittering which kept the flavor from becoming sweet. The bittering and hop flavor had an earthiness and some grassy and citrusy characteristics. The fruit, pomegranate according to the label, just did not meld with the hop and malt character. It seemed out of place and uninspired.

The finish was dry with lasting harsh fruity and hop characteristics far too long into the aftertaste. The body was medium and thin for a 10% beer. The alcohol warming after consumption was strong. Congrats on 10 years, too bad it wasn't a better beer.

22 ounce bottle.

3.28/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance: clear copper in color with a 1/2" head that falls apart quickly.

Smell: fruit and candy sweetness abounds as you stick your nose into the glass.

Taste: a hearty malt backbone with caramel candy, over ripe fruit sweetness, hint of spiciness, and mild bitterness. Alcohol is noticeable.

Mouthfeel: smooth throughout. Very sweet aftertaste. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: I found this to be a bit too sweet which grew tiring by the time the bottle was emptied. Not one I would pick up again if I saw it on the shelves.

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

22 oz bottle. Pours a glowing copper with an off-white head that fades to a thin film.

The aroma is very subdued - piney hops, caramel, and fruits.

The flavor is spicy bitterness mixed with tangy fruitiness with a bitter finish. The alcohol is well hidden but somewhat warming, and the fruitiness is nice. The mouthfeel is medium, slightly watery with sharp carbonation.

Overall, an interesting and decent beer. I like the mix of fruits and hops. Everything seems toned down though, especially the aroma and flavor - that's definitely not what I expected from a 10% beer, but not all bad either.

He'Brew Genesis 10:10 from Shmaltz Brewing Company