He'Brew Genesis 10:10 - Shmaltz Brewing Company

good

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

A huge balance of specialty malts, pounds and pounds of American and European hops, brewed with a hint of luscious Pomegranate juice.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006)
4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Auburn hue, high carbonation, thinnish, disappearing head...

Aroma,: mild, fruity, hoppy a bit, sweet...

Taste: hmmm, a sweet hunk of fruitiness, big malt for balance, getting bigger, yummier...an outsized hunk of melon and mango and pomegranate? I guess so...

this is big and beautiful, yums meets yummier...alcohol feels higher...10%? hoo-baba, hay, nonny!
I mean to say, righteous!

feloniousmonk, Jul 16, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Served in a wide mouth goblet. Pours a translucent bronze/copper with a moderately large cream colored loose head. Lots of tight lacing on glass.

Primary smell is spicy hops and pine. Light citrus scent with a touch of sweet malt smell. For a fruit beer beer, I expected a much fruitier and complex smell.

Tastes as smells. Strong hoppy pine taste up front, with a pleasant vague fruit tartness on the finish, but I cannot identify what fruit it is. I expected a more complex or multi-layered taste.

Medium bodied, smooth malty feel initially that finishes with a pleasant dry, slightly astringent alcohol feel. Leaves you fairly refreshed, but slightly thirsty feeling.

This is a nice drinkable beer, easy to drink. I'm not sure what the intentions were, but I thought of it more as a nice ale, more than a fruit beer. I am a bit disappointed in this beer compared to their other offerings, which I greatly enjoyed drinking.

laintringulis, Jul 16, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this out of a 22 oz bomber, poured into a pint glass. The color is a pale, deep copper, with a ruby tint and a lacey head that is pretty thin. The aroma is hoppy fresh and then the pomarant fruit is right there. The taste is quite good; the fruit is pronounced and upfront through the finish. There is a little hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is decent, a slight coating from the fruit. I would recommend this brew to anyone and with another try the review might be higher.

phishgator, Jul 11, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

I have always had reservations about the Shmaltz brews. The few I have had are good enough but always leave me underwhelmed. I however, am a sucker for a solid offbeat ingredient and the promise of pomegranate pulled me in. Out of the bottle this is a really handsome beverage. It has that prototypical bready ale redness and mine poured with a pillowy ivory head that never fully settled. The scent comes across as alcohol with hints of aromatic hops and sweet fruit in the background. The taste really follows. I think the contribution of the pomegranate is minimal instead it is the alcohol that is present at every point of the brew's passage over my palate. The biggest success of this beer is how well the flavors blend, the alcohol always feels like part of something bigger. I like others really felt that this would be better characterized as a well done American strong ale. Despite the head, the carbonation is minimal and I really felt that it suited the style. One was definitely enough for me though I see myself revisiting it before it’s gone.

ahroun, Jul 09, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Chill-hazed but essentially clear reddish-brown color, fairly healthy head of almost 1/2 an inch but only average duration. Decently thick ring laces. Aroma has a sweet fruit juice character, some backing of baking powder biscuits. Carbonation is lower, mouthfeel full and solid. Heavy malty flavor, fruit character of the aroma persists, though somewhat more resembling canned peaches. Finishes with broad qualities of brew kettle bittering hops, nothing that distinctive in character. Slightly alcoholic with a cheap blackberry brandy feel to it. OK beer, I still like the ordinary Schmaltz beers better than almost all of their special editions, while not outstanding, they exceed my expectations.

ADR, Jun 29, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Hmm Pomegranate Juice, interesting.

Appearance: Bright scarlet body, large head is white and fast fading.

Smell: Fruity and candy-sweet with a lot of malt (grassy/grainy) and a touch of hops.

Taste: What an odd beer. Big and sweet the flavors are all fighting for air. Hops are intense, alcohol is intese, malt and the pomegranate are intense. A wonderfully unique beer that may be a little grinding on the palate near the bottom of the bottle.

Drinkability: A different beer, one that is probably worth aging, just to see what happens. Congrats, Schmaltz, Can't wait for next anniversary.

TastyTaste, Jun 28, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer was purchased at Jungle Jims. The beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet. Before I begin this review I must say this beer is a failure for a fruit beer. I pretty much missed out on the fruityness; however, the beer is a very well crafted strong ale. I purchased this off of the strength of the 9th aniversary beer. I hope next years is better.

Appearance: The beer has a very deep clear coppery coloration. The beer has a two finger off white head. The beer leaves streaks of lacing on the glass.

Smell: The beer smelled nothing like I expected. My sense of smell was assaulted by pine resin and citrus. The beer has a nice caramel malty smell. Perhaps this is wishful thinking. I think I could faintly smell tart cranberries.

Taste: Again the taste was nothing that I expected. The beer opens with a hoppy pine, citrus and earthy assault. The beer then goes onto its caramel malty backbone. The beer gives off a brief fairly tart astringent flavor. The alcohol comes forth as a bit of spicyness. I simply didnt get any fruityness from the beer.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is full bodied. The alcohol is well incorporated into taste, smell and mouthfeel. The beer is a well crafted strong ale but fails as a fruit beer. The beer is pretty easy to drink and never quite reaches the level of a chore.

nlmartin, Jun 25, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear dark copper to almost amber-brown with an off-white moussy head which rose tall and stayed well to lace the glass.

The aroma was malty and fruity with a strong caramel malt presence and a lightly grassy, citrusy and spicy hop aroma. The fruity aspect had a grape character, like fresh grape juice.

The flavor was malty but with a substantial bittering which kept the flavor from becoming sweet. The bittering and hop flavor had an earthiness and some grassy and citrusy characteristics. The fruit, pomegranate according to the label, just did not meld with the hop and malt character. It seemed out of place and uninspired.

The finish was dry with lasting harsh fruity and hop characteristics far too long into the aftertaste. The body was medium and thin for a 10% beer. The alcohol warming after consumption was strong. Congrats on 10 years, too bad it wasn't a better beer.

22 ounce bottle.

GCBrewingCo, Jun 20, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark copper color,with red tinges, and a one finger head. Head falls into a small blanket over top of the glass, and tiny bubbles trail up the sides until the end of the bottle, just like champagne. Quite nice to look at.

Aroma is slightly fruity, and alcoholic. I also detect a slight amount of roasted grain. Mild aroma, where not much jumps out.

flavor is oddly disappointing. For being a beer supposedly brewed with 10,000 pomegranates, there is no fruit flavor at all. The flavor that is there is slighty malty and roasted, with a bitter hoppy finish. Alcohol makes itself prevalent after the first few sips, and tends to burn your tongue a bit after that, therefore drinkability is low. Mouthfeel is rather slick and oily, but not unpleasant.

I was really hoping for more out of this beer. To me it tastes like a half-assed barley wine, and nothing like a fruit beer.

phisig137, Jun 19, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Bomber into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: Lots of tiny bubbles floating up toward a very slightly (and slightly disappearing) off white head. Body's an amber with copper hues. Some circular and wet lacing around the glass and falling lower and lower like raindrops in a parked car.

Smell: What I like here are the hops (more citrus and grapefruit with a slight twinge of pine) and sweet malt that are, somehow, complimented excellently by the fruit. You can smell and absorb it without being overpowering, too sweet to the nose, or fake and additive-like. Everything comes together pretty well.

Taste: Frighteningly delicious and unassuming for 10% is the first thing that needs to be recognized here. Otherwise, the pomegranate juice is intergrated with flair. The finish is extremely complex, sour, bitter, fruity, and everything in between. Still not as good as it can be (what about some aging possibly?), but damn, this is a new take on a fruit beer, or strong ale, whichever it really is. And seriously, where is the tinge of alcohol I expected?

Mouthfeel: Very full without getting to the point of wanting to take it even slower because of that. By the end it moves toward creamy, and with some aging I'd say it'd probably get even better. I think the constantly flowing carbonation toward the top of the glass definitely helps it out.

Drinkability: This is my first of the He'Brew beers. And I think I may as well stick to this guy, because my experience has been something that I really hadn't expected at all. Is this a strong ale, a fruit beer, a combination of both? Either way, I'm sure it can have the potential to do crazy things if you treat it the way it's not supposed to be treated. For the price, however (I paid around $5 for the bomber and for some I'd imagine that may be expensive), and the quality, this is something you need to try.

asabreed, Jun 16, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Presentation: Twenty-two ounce (bomber) brown bottle poured into a Dogfish Head snifter. Neck label reads "brewed in New York 2006."

Appearance: The beer pours a clear, deep copper with a minimal off-white head. A complete ring of white lace remains even after the head dissapates. It has an overall appetizing appearance.

Smell: Within the aroma the two most noticeable attributes are a sweet maltiness and a light, berry-like fruit profile that seems to lie somewhere between pomegranate and cherries. The malts give way to a soupçon of caramel and a very noticeable alcohol characteristic.

Taste: It would be an understatement to say that the alcohol characteristic is noticeable in the taste. It's mildly peppery and seems to vie for dominance with the fruit flavors, which still seem to pull between cherries and pomegranate. I get some burnt caramel beneath the bitterness, which overtakes the fruit flavors and leaves the palate with a lingering bitter finish. Still, this one seems a little confused, as if it needs to come together.

Mouthfeel: Medium, leaning towards full-bodied. Coats the mouth somewhat. Overall pleasant.

Drinkability: Moderate drinkability. This brew is a bit too hot right now, and the alcohol goes a long way towards overwhelming the fruit characteristic that seems to hold the brew together. Give this one some time.

Notes: I didn't realize there'd been some hype about this brew until just a few minutes ago. I just saw it in my store and bought it, since I liked last year's Jewbilation brew. I was trying to identify on the label which beer style they used as a base before the juice addition, and now I'm quite sure this is an American Barleywine. In fact, I'd lean more towards categorizing this as an American Barleywine that just happens to be brewed with fruit juice as opposed to a fruit beer. I don't think the contribution of the pomegranate juice at this stage is quite that pronounced.

This is an overall decent beer right now, and something I'd flag as a candidate for aging. Give her some time to come together and let's return, shall we?

RealityDeviant, Jun 09, 2006