He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Rich caramel brown color with an ever so slight red hue... Slight head quickly fades... Slow peaceful carbonation... Minimal lacing, though a thick oily residue coats the glass throughout the session... Very still... Intriguing looking Double IPA...

S - Malts and fruits... Fruits and malts... Lots of complexity hits the nose... Caramel... Brown Sugar... Only a faint hint of piney hops... I was expecting major hops, and was very pleasantly surprise and happy with the rich sweet aroma presented...

T - There are the hops... Not too much, but more than I expected after the aroma... Caramel... Malt... Raisins... Rye...

M - Ultra smooth for a Double IPA, especially one coming in at 10% ABV... Medium bodied with an oily texture... Slight carbonation presents itself on the tongue... More sweetness than bitterness... A definite positive to this BA when it comes to Double IPAs...

D - Dangerously smoth and enjoyable for a 10% ABV Double IPA... Extremely drinkable... Great complexity all around... Proof that brewers can make an awesome Double IPA without going overboard with hops... A little more carbonation both in appearance and on the tongue would make this a slam dunk "A+..."

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%

Crystal clear dark amber in color with a prolific light tan head that recedes to a full cap. Very sweet aromatics of honey and caramel. Flavors of caramelised toffee. Much more sweet than bitter which surprised me a little I guess. Backside is clean and the hops start to come through a bit. Alcohol notes sneak in as well thats comparable to brandy or cognac. Body is creamy, lightly carbonated with a bittersweet finish. I also get a sort of sharp cheddar aftertaste. This is good, a sipper for sure. It's a little sweet for me and has a sticky quality, but I still enjoy this alot. The hops are here but I wish they weren't masked 'quite' so much by the heavy malts and sweetness. Very barleywine like for sure.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%

Got a bottle of this at Cost Plus in Tukwila, WA. A good introduction to Schmaltz Brewing. Thanks Cost Plus for finding these and carrying them. Actually I haven't looked at the beer, just drinking it straight out of the bottle. The smell promises something different - some sort of fragrant malt. The taste is a bit on the sweet side for an IPA, and sort of like the whiskey taste others have noted. The sweetness and hops counter the 10% alcohol better than almost any strong ale I have tasted. You don't really know you are getting such a big kick. It feels sort of syrupy, but the aftertaste lingers as a pleasant medium hop which does not degenerate to gacky. It is not easy to drink in sips. You need to knock down about 4 ounces or more at one gulp. Doing that will give you the satisfying sense that you have done something more important than a wine tasting, and the aftereffect is very pleasant. After the first bottle you will be left wondering if you should have some more, but an hour later you will crave another one. Buy at least three and wait until your wife or girl friend has gone for the day, then let 'er rip.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%

An enjoyable DIPA with a nice twist of rye. This is yet another DIPA with a lot of hop flavor. It pours an absolutely beautiful mahogany that just glowed for me. The head is stiff and hearty. It might not quite look like the norm for the style, but it's a gorgeous beer that, for some reason, transcended style for me. The nose is disappointingly weak for the strength of the head. It's sweet with some good citric hop aroma. I don't have much patience for a DIPA with a weak nose. On the other hand, the beer has a marvelous taste. There's lots of hops, lots of caramel malt and a wonderful rye tone that is fairly unique in my experience. It's one of the more balanced DIPAs that I've had, but it's possible that it's a bit less fresh than some other DIPAs I've reviewed. I certainly didn't intend to age it, but it sat around for at least a couple weeks, unlike most DIPAs I've reviewed. This worked out for me, although it could have hurt the nose. I'll try to find another bottle and immediately consume it for a point of comparison. I do this for you, gentle reader. In you, I find my sole motivation to drink beer after beer, night after night. With that, I end this review and move on to my next self-sacrificial effort. Beer me.

22 oz. bomber

Bold, bronze-amber in color with a big, pock-marked off-white head. Strong aroma of pine-resin hops, alcohol, and, unsurprisingly, rye.

This is a slick, chewy brew with a creaminess and a strong caramel/syrup malt profile backing up the sharp, hoppy top end. A wonderfully complex sipper, certainly enough to warm my innerds on the night after the first (ridiculously early) snow of the season.

I'll come back to this one for sure.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A- Copper with an off-white head that dissipates down to a cap

S- Piney/citrus hops and some sweet earthy caramel malts

T- Earthiness up front and the citrus hops hit quite soon and stay well, lots of complexity with the malts underlying it all

M- Full-bodied and some warmth from the alcohol

D- Great beer, very complex and that makes it easy to revisit.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

What a terrific beer. I had the opportunity to share in two bombers thanks to my friend Woody Chandler and I now am drinking my own bottle. Thanks Woody for the history on Lenny Bruce and the significance of the bittersweet tribute to him. I had bought one bomber at Stateline Liquors in Elkton Maryland a couple months ago but just didn’t get to that one yet. After trying this last weekend with Woody and the gang I knew I *had* to now crack mine open. I love it.

4.5 Appearance: Pours a dark copper color with a 2 finger creamy tan head that fades to a frothy cap and later leaves moderate lacing on the walls of my glass.

4.0 Smell: It has a big rich full aroma of thick malts sweet caramel, dark fruits and some alcohol along with minty like grassy leaves and pine hops and a slightly abrasive solvent smell.

4.5 Taste: It has a very solid grassy pine hop flavor and as it reaches room temp the aftertaste becomes even more intensely bitter; but all the bitterness this beer has to offer is overcome by the incredibly pleasant sweetness. As a big sweet-tooth guy, the surprisingly large sweet element was cincher that forced my to love it. It is so boldly bitter and immensely sweet that I can’t really say that it is balanced but they do counteract each other. To start the pine and grass flavors play off a dry rye attribute that is enjoyable in it’s own right but when paralleled by the intensely sweet caramel malt pecan pie, plum cherry grape backbone, it becomes divine.

4.0 Mouthfeel: Extremely dry with big hop flavors forcing a pucker after each wallow but I did let it warm maybe a bit too long. I am at the in-laws and pulled the beer out of the cooler but had to wait for everyone to go to bed, until I could actually write this review.

4.0 Drinkability: Wow! This beer is alcoholic. If you let it warm you’ll know, but I like that. Still, 22 ounces is enjoyable but it is then bedtime.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Double-deuce bomber with tributes to, and trivia about, late-great comedian Lenny Bruce written in tiny script all over the label. The label cautions: "WARNING: CONTAINS EXPLICIT ADULT MATERIAL. 21+ only." Hmm. So, poured into my DFH pint glass the highly-informative vessel yields a syrupy-rich, red-copper body capped with a thick two fingers of pale ecru foam that reduces to a thick sheet and leaves swatches of foamy lacing on the glass.

Smell is syrupy sweet with pale malt and plenty of spicy rye and herbal hops, plus high-smelling bitter citrusy notes of orange zest and juicy grapefruit.

Taste is rich and caramel sweet, with citrusy hops that bring a spicy lemon-lime-orange tang and a grapefruity bitterness to bear. Smoky notes of rich caramel and toasted bread, laced with sticky hop oil, soothe and delight the mouth without being in any way overpowering, and though the alcohol is fairly well hidden in the flavor profile, the warming effect on the tummy is practically immediate. Tingly spice and hop flavors from across the spectrum emerge as the drink warms. Fruity, floral notes really shine, but the beer is grounded by layers of sweet malt flavors and a wonderful earthy hop-note that makes me believe that a lot of pride, care, and thought went into the final version of this brew.

Though very hoppy and equally malty, this big, big drink is surprisingly well-balanced and drinkable. Not at all a palate-wrecker, the only thing that limits the drinkability is the 10% abv. I hate to be a cheerleader, but Shmaltz is proving itself to me again and again in every brew of theirs I drink. This is yet another of their beers that I just think is pure-T kickass.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass. About 2 fingers of creamy head that took several minutes to calm down. Sticky foam and head clings to the glass. Very hoppy brew with strong rye flavor. Very flavorful, some dried fruits make this almost borderline a barleywine. This beer is very extreme and very over the top but very drinkable the alcohol is pretty well hidden. This is a very relaxing beer.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Got this one as a gift from my roomie and I poured it from a bomber into a good sized wine glass. I really need to get a chalice or snifter of some sort. Chalice is an awesome word.

A nice deep orange, copper caramel hue with a good head just sitting there nice and proud and beige tempting me to drink. Dissipates slowly leaving a good lacing.

Smells mostly of molasses and toffee and caramel malt, and the rye is also prominent with some light hoppiness.

Taste is all over the place and really good. First comes the sweet; malt and sticky caramel with hints of dark fruits, mostly dates. Then comes the spicy and bitter; ginger and some citrus pine hops towards the end, with a molasses backbone. Dare I say sweetbittersweet.

Carbonation is mild and nice, with the rye sticking with you on every sip. Goes down pretty easy for the alcohol content. It warms you up and could definitely make you start talking dirty if you're not careful.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A- A hazy amber in color, about a finger of beige head at the top the goes around the glass with every sip.

S-Smell of strong citrus, lots of grapefruit as well as honey and caramel. Great nose on this beer.

T-Tasted very pleasant, dark malts, a bit of burnt sugar as well as caramel.

M-Medium bodied, perfect amount of carbonation.

D-Alcohol is hidden on this beer! Great brew!

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Big ups to my fellow BA, joemcgrath27 for the hook-up on this.

A - Pours a hazy golden brown with an amber hue, solid two thumbs of lacing, solid retention, and a solid amount of lacing that lingers throughout.

S - Citrus and pine hops dominate the scents on this one, slightly peppery, and a strong lemon and a fruity pineapple scent that lingers.

T - The hops dominate the flavour, yet the finish is quite fruity. The finish is definitely bitter, but not offensive, and I definitely get a cotton candy and pineapple flavour that lingers on the tongue. The alcohol is incredibly hidden.

M - Perfect balance of carbonation, and a finish that isn't overly dry, especially given the hop content. Quite nice.

D - At 10% this stuff is dangerously intoxicating. Highly recommended to any hop lover and is incredibly tasty, offering unique flavours and a finely tuned finish.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Purchased in February 07 and consumed on May 10th 2008. Kept in cold storage in the interim.

A-Dark copper/brown with red highlights. Has a slight syrupy look to it ont he pour. The off-white head stayed around for quite some time as I took notes and never really receded fully leaving a 1/8 inch coat for the entire session. The head left a fine looking lace as it did receed to thsi elvel. After each swallow, rings of lace were left on the glass.

S-Aroma was not as strong as I'd beleieved it would be. could be due to the aging. Big caramel malts and alcohol dominate. Piney andgrapefruit notes find their way in the middle. The alcohol also shows it self in the end. Second and third whiffs reveal a doughy/bready quality that is quite nice, almost like bread baking.

T-Big malty sweetness right up front. Pine and grapefruit hops jump right in the middle. There is a coffee and toffee quality percieved int he middle. The finish is spicy rye bread and rye toast. The alcohol is present here as well rearing its head at various times through the session.

M-medium to full body and thick syrupy mouthfeel. There is also a creamy quaility to it that was nice. The carbonation was light to medium and was well balanced with the flavors and the mouthfeel.

D-I defintely would have had another had I had one. I would like to try this one again fresh as it was not as aggressive as I'd expected given what I have read about. That of course does not mean it was by any stretch bad, it was very good.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into tulip glass, at first glance all I could think about was the color of the head, which in it's concentrated form was tan and almost greenish. This beer had a very aggressive head and will keep going right out of the glass if your not careful. The color is rather dark purplish, red, very polished dark wood looking. The head was huge and is now dissipating, it left clumpy lacing all the way down. Smells of strong piny aromatic hops with a tail of natural funk (definitely some rye coming through), orange peel, pineapple, malt, some spice and a subtle alcohol undercurrent. Taste is very complex, its definatly one of those D.I.P.A.s that walks on your taste buds with spiked shoes, but you love every minute of it. Its crisp, but not dry. Its definitely a more sticky piny recipe with serious body, and intense grape fruitiness. Its almost syrupy, but not in any bad way. The flavor is all that coupled with minor hints of toffee, some sweetness from the rye and a nice bitter hop character that comes to you half way through the taste experience and lingers on your taste buds. This is a nice D.I.P.A, I am very happy to be able to try this. It's got what I look for in a quality double IPA, not my favorite, but really fun. This is my first He'Brew beer so this will be what I judge all their other by. R.I.P. Lenny..

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Into a large Duvel tulip it poured a clear, dark amber body with a warm ruby/mahogany glow when backlit. A 2-finger khaki-colored head settled over the top, retained very well and left lots of lacing on the way down. A very pretty sight to behold; I almost gave it a perfect 5.

S: Grapefruity hops at first sniff, though they're not overwhelmingly strong like you get from some DIPAs. Sweet caramel malt underneath, along with some brown sugar as well.

T: The first thing I wrote after the first sip was "peppery at the end" -- the alcohol spice that showed up at the end of the sip was definitely noticed. Up front it had plenty of bready and sweet malt -- hearty rye bread mixed with toffee and caramel, but some dry but fruity bitterness follows. I actually wrote "tough to describe." The lingering bitterness has a slightly dry metallic taste to it, but not in a bad way, as I thought it was pretty well balanced all around.

M: Medium to full-bodied. A little more carbonated than I expected.

D: Good, especially for a beer of this strength.

Notes: This was interesting. I'd like to get my hands on another bottle, because I had a tough time putting my finger on just what it was I was tasting that's so different from other beers. I believe it was the rye malt, but I'd like to test that theory with another sampling.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a hazy orange copper hue which leaves a two finger creamy head and heaps of clingy lacing everywhere,the smell is sticky piney resinous hops,boiled candy and caramel candy,the mouthfeel is medium bodied sticky and resinous and has tastes of sticky piney hops,sweet toffee,bitter grapefruit,candied oranges and finished with a nice of those piney hops that encountered through out the whole taste and overall a very nice DIPA that would buy again cheers.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company