Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros
Reviews: 870 | Hads: 1,893
4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

Happy Passover - I drank this at sundown, 4/2/07 - the start of Passover in honor of all my Jewish friends and fellow beer advocate members who are Jewish.

22oz bomber

Pours a clear, deep ruby red/amber color with a thick, foamy beige head leaving a ton of lace down my entire pint glass as I drink it.

Smell is very good, hops hit you at first, then the alcohol smell kicks in.

Taste, IMO, it's one of the best double IPA's I have ever tasted (a close 2nd to Ruination IPA from Stone).
Rich malty taste up front, warming alcohol in the middle, bite of bitter hops on the finish. Talk about balance!

10%abv is the only thing holding this back from being an exceptionally drinkable brew. I finished off my bottle and could have maybe a 1/2 bottle more, but I gotta admit, I do feel "content". (808 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a very thick deep amber color with a small white head that leaves some good lacing. Aroma is of resinous hops, a little citrus, caramel malt, and spicy rye. Taste is loaded with a very oily hop pressence with some pine and citrus. The caramel noted in the nose is also very well represented in the taste. The high alcohol in the beer is also evident. The beer finishes with a rye bread like flavor. Mouthfeel is full, smooth, and perfectly carbonated. Pretty drinkable beer despite the high alcohol. Overall a great beer that I will purchase again. (554 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from the 22oz bomber.

The beer pours into my glass a deep deep amber underneath a frothy off white head that holds nicely leaving lace down the side of my glass. The smell is full of sweet piney and citrusy hops with some bit of rye spiciness. The taste is up front with the bitterness which is followed by the intense sweetness and the rye spiciness. It is medium-full bodied with quite lively carbonation. Overall its a very drinkable and very good beer. Certainly a good DIPA. (519 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz bomber poured into a Dogfish Head snifter. Brewed in 2006.

Muddy burnt orange brew with small head, recedes to a ring, very little lacing.

Very complex nose. A fascinating fresh bright mintiness is the first thing that hits the nose, certainly unexpected. Caramel malt, sweet and syrupy. Fruity notes fo apricot, cherry and cooked apple. Loads of spicinesss, cola, cinnamon, vanilla. Sour tanginess--this must be the rye. Typical citrus and pine hop notes are surprisingly muted on the nose.

The palate brings much of what the nos promised, with a very rich and fruity caramel sweetness; interlced with a fair amount of alcohol heat. Hoppy bitterness carries through into a long finish, pine now present, with rye sourness throughout.

Yes this is a monster, but three years bottle age has allowed the disparate elements here to intermingle in a thoroughly enjoyable way. The incribly spicy fresh nose really boosts the drinkability with this beer. One of Schmaltz's best efforts. (989 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Large bottle copped from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield for $4.99...
This company's 11th Anniversary Jewbelation Ale was really good, and I heard a lot of positive things about this particular beer, so I decided to give it a shot...
A very aggressive pour yielded a gigantic five-fingered frothy and foamy head that slowly receded and left a copious amount of lacing...
Incredible smell bursting with a powerful hop essence that clung to the nose, adding strong essences of bittersweet sugars, caramel, and vanilla...
Outstanding fresh, crisp taste completely dominated by hops... This is definitely not a gimmick-beer - this is a teriffic, all-around outstanding IPA worthy of true recognition...
The hop flavor really stood out on this one, and was above and beyond... "A Double India Pale Ale with Rye Malt" on the front logo sticker means what it says...
Excellent creamy and rich mouthfeel contribute to the all-around quality of this wonderful beer...
Excellent drinkability and no sign at all of the hefty 10% ABV floating around in this one...
Great stuff...
Another must-try for hop heads...
Definitely recommended... (1,136 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Nice amber color, just a touch cloudy. The tan head is thin but strong. Lacing is minimal.

Oh my this beer smells big...I'm getting crazy hops and big sweet malt even on the pour. A closer inspection reveals a great spicy hop aroma, some nice balance with sweet malty backbone. This comes off together like some sort of sweet rum soaked spice cake or something. Nice.

The taset also has a big hop spice upfront, some pine notes in this but it's so well balanced with an earthy malt flavor...definitely not hop-forward even though that's the first thing you taste. I love the balance of this huge DIPA. A nice alcohol burn combined with a dryness perhaps from the rye (not too familiar with rye in beers) lead me through the middle and then it finishes big and bitter and beautiful.

Big bodied and bold flavored, yest smooth and warming. There's not much about this beer that I don't like. IMO it can hold it's own against any DIPA. (934 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Picked this up while in Spokane, WA.

Pours a dark amber with a quarter inch off-white head, that fades slowly to a nice cap considering the head wasn't that large. The lacing was very thick, completely covering the interior of m glass.

Smell; very nice hoppy aroma, with citrus and a hint of pine. The rye lends a nice spiciness to the aroma, and there's some sweet malts present as well. I'm really digging the aroma of this beer.

Taste; the hops are definitely present with citrus and the hints of pine tree, but the rye really stands out to me. I'm glad to, because that's the main reason that I purchased the bottle. I've become a big fan of rye beers, and wish other breweries would give rye a chance. There's a very good mildly sweet presence that just seems to accentuate the rye flavors in this beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability; the mouthfeel is full bodied and very smooth, and despite the bitterness, this beer is disappearing rapidly.

I had never heard of this beer when I purchased it, so I only bought the one bottle. Now I wish I could go back just to buy a case of it. One of the better beers that I've had recently. (1,143 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

It's a clear amber color with a huge off-white head. Perfect pour, the beer + head crowned at the top of the pint.

The aroma is hoppy with pine bitterness but also sweet with caramel flavors. It has a bit of a barleywine smell to it, which is a good thing!

Great flavor to it! A beautiful combo of malt and hops that embodies the aroma. A cascade of flavor combining the piney hops with caramel malts. The high abv is hardly noticeable.

Great mouthfeel too, chewy even. Well carbonated and delicious.

Easily an A beer in my book. (595 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured a hazy reddish brown color into a snifter from a 12 oz bottle, with ABV on the label. Could not spot a freshness date anywhere on the bottle.
Thin film of a head that dissipates fairly quickly.
Aroma is just wonderful. Hops, fruity notes, apricot, peach, hints of spice and lots of malt (caramel and some toffee) coming through. There is so much going on in the nose, so complex and yet so pleasing. I like the concept of incorporating rye in an IPA, but the aroma on this one was nowhere near what I was expecting; very nice.
Taste is absolutely spot on for my palate. The malts completely coat the palate, feels like is a bready sweet carpet on the surface of the tongue which gets punctured by the perfect hop bitterness and the rye spiciness. There is just a hint of bitterness in the finish, which
This is a very well balanced and flavorful DIPA. I have to admit, this is the first He'Brew beer that caught my attention, and I am pleasantly surprised. I would definitely recommend this beer to all the hop-heads out there. Absolutely worth a try. (1,060 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

My first review for a He'brew. A 22oz bomber with more writing on it than any Stone bottle I've seen. First quote that caught my eye: "Satire equals tragedy plus time - Lenny Bruce". Love it already.

Appearance- Dark ruddy bronze/red with an alarmingly rising head that leaves thick chunks of lace on the glass. Don't pour too aggresively or it'll end up on the floor!

Smell- Fruity sweetness hits first followed by caramel malts, cherries, some alcohol not quite hidden by the sweetness. There is quite a lot of alpha hop aroma around too. Floral and some citurs as well. I can tell I'm gonna like this one.

Taste- Creamy; thick and creamy as hell. The sweetness is predominant but perfectly balanced by the hops. The alcohol warms nicely and the hops come through with a nice taste to match the smell, floral and citrus. Caramel and cherries come through nicely too. This is one well hopped and malted brew, both very well balanced. I like it!!

Mouthfeel- I've always had trouble describing mouthfeel so have patience with me here. The carbonation is just right, not too bubbly nor too flat like some stouts. It plays nicely in your mouth. The creaminess is the main attraction to the mouthfeel, it just slides down like something much thicker.

Drinkability- Obviously I love this brew and even at 10%ABV I could drink it all night (at home). He'brew has made a bold statement in the Double IPA market and I can't think of too many I like better. If you can find this one, get it and get as many as you can. My local IGA got a 2 cases and I'm gonna buy one for the cellar. (1,581 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

A beautiful dark reddish copper color with an impressive ivory head that retains well and leaves plenty of nice lacing.

The aroma is hard to pin down, fruity at first, cherry and citrus, then a whiff of fresh rye bread and pine needles.

The taste also starts with fruit, not quite cherry, maybe plum, before you can decide a blast of pinety hops kicks in, then comes a bit of rye bread and citrus with hints of spices and mint, finishing slightly dry with pine and horehound aftertaste that lasts and lasts with some nice alcohol warmth trailing along.

Medium bodied, smooth and easy to drink. Interesting to drink, I think every sip turned up some new flavor notes, or maybe that was just the alcohol kicking in. This one is definitely worth a try for those who like plenty of piney hops. I think I will definitely do this one again. (846 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap here at the Yard House in Virginia Beach.

Appearance: reddish dark amber. Head retains very nicely.

Smell: definitely has the classic IPA pine smell. With a hint of rye.

Taste: The rye comes through here but its not like most rye beers, which I liken to drinking rye bread. The hops balance it very nicely here.

Mouthfeel: not overpowering, but the hops linger more than the rye. Which I'm quite fine with.

Overall: Have now gotten this two nights in a row. I hope I can find this back in WI...

Update: unable to find this back home, so I got another pint at the Yardhouse. Perhaps its because of the Rogue swill I had tonight, but I think I underrated this. Spectacular. I've kept the review to reflect my initial tasting. (736 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Although this beer has been in our province for a couple years now it is a night of boredom and cold weather that causes me to rate this now. Big toasty, malty and peppery, this hop bomb is highly drinkable (well let me correct that one bottle at a time is highly drinkable), it tends to get a little thick if bottle after bottle is consumed. Cases of this have gone through the house not the first DIPA I would reach for but a enjoyable pint I will revisit time and time again. (478 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Pours a turbid, murky amber-orange color. The massive, orange-red tinted head is extremely tall, dense, and frothy. Retention is outstanding - this isn't going anywhere. A sticky film of fine foam sticks everywhere that the head slowly abandons.

S: A big, bold nose. Caramel malt sweetness and bready, spicy rye character are everywhere. Fragrant fruity/candied citric hop notes are quite vibrant, with lesser floral/perfumey notes. Alcoholic character is evident, but there's so much heft behind it that it doesn't seem overdone.

T: A very firm malt base starts things off with substantial caramel sweetness and spicy rye. Hop bitterness is above average, but never runs away with things. Some modest fruity tartness lurks deep below all the other flavors. Hops are citric, spicy, and lightly floral. Alcohol pops up into the finish, lending a light whiskey note.

M: Full-bodied. Carbonation is medium, but fairly smooth overall. The robust hop profile and substantial alcohol lead to a cascading finishing dryness with a definite warming character.

D: This beer is almost overwhelmingly massive. This brewery definitely doesn't tiptoe around style guidelines. I love the way rye complements bold American hops in these types of beers, and this does a good job of incorporating it. A dangerous, enjoyable, and very unique take on a double IPA. (1,355 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber color, almost brown with an off white head that trails the glass as you drink. Smells of rye bread with citrus and pine, very enticing. The taste was great with mellow bread and rye flavors mixing with the bitter hops and an exceptionally clean finish. Was super happy I found one of my favorites. (316 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

My first offering from this brewery -- the gimmicky labeling has kept me far, far away for a long time. But a rye-based DIPA? Can't... resist... must... drink...

Appearance: Wow. It's-- wow. Absolutely beautiful deep, clear tawny amber with gold undertones. Massive, frothy espresso crema head. Great retention and oily lace on glasswall. Cannot imagine how it could be improved upon.

Smell: Boo and yah. Very potent stuff; I can literally smell this from three feet away. Sweet, super juicy citrus hops; almost smells like a fresh-hopped ale. Once that wave crashes, there's a rich base of pale malts and a slighly spicy hint of rye to boot. Very nice.

Taste/Mouthfeel: About as subtle as a hammer to the forehead. Massive amounts of hops and malt blend seamlessly into a boozy orange toffee -- if this isn't a candy, it should be. Boozy it is, though, with a fusel vapors aplenty, and rye bite squares everything away in the finish. The mouthfeel is nice, too, smooth, a bit slick and medium bodied.

Drinkability: Know going into this that this a huge beer. I think 10% abv might be underestimating this one; I almost fell off the couch after finishing the bomber. So while you can't drink too much of this, it's certainly one of the better IPAs I've had. Lenny would be proud, or fucking proud, I suppose. (1,320 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into speiglau IPA glass.

Color is copper with think frothy head.

Aroma is light but malty.

Hops are intense. Bitterness is lemon with herbal.

Awesome beer. Do not taste the 10%. (209 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

L: Pours deep bright amber under a 2” fluffy cream colored foam collar that persists and leaves fine lace. S: Spicy rye and hop nose with some alcohol and citrus. T: Malty, spicy palate with traces of cola and alcohol with a grapefruit rind hop bitter finish. F: Exceptionally creamy, warming, medium to medium full body, medium low carbonation O: An exceptional big beer. (374 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

A lovely deep reddish amber with a big head a lots of lace. Clear and pretty in the glass . Smell is full of pine and sweet syrupy toffee, roasted grains and burnt caramel . Taste follows with a sweet sticky caramel and toasted malt body that sits beautifully on the tongue with an explosion of pine and punch of grapefruit in the middle to finish. Tropical fruit adds some complexity and lushness to the taste. Rye comes through with an edgy presence that balances the sweeter aspects in a fashion and melds with the hops. The alcohol is present but well integrated with a warmth in the swallow. Feel is thick and chewy with a smooth carbonation and a supple drinkability. A outstanding DIPA. One of the best and it brings a unique take and taste to the table. (761 characters)

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass at 48 degrees

Appearance: 2 inch white head with great lacing and retention. A beautiful Mahogany/Red brown color

Smell: Honey, malt, caramel, figs, butter, rye, and spice

Taste: Sweet honey, and thick caramel flavors predominate, with malty brown sugar undertones fading into a well balanced hop flavor, the hops accentuate the dark fruits in the middle taste and give way to a clean bitter hop rye finish

Mouth: A velvetty smooth and clean beer. This is light on the tongue with the perfect amount of carbonation. IT's hard to believe that this beer is 10% ABV, I don't taste any hint of it.

Overall: This is a great RIPA, I will certainly be buying this again when I see it available, hopefully it gets distributed in Texas. (770 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

nose is piney, hoppy and sticky sweet. big, complex malt and hops taste with a citrus oil bitterness and almost caramel-like sweetness. rye is present, and comes through very strongly in the resiny aftertaste. defintely one of those high abv doubles that hits like a hammer and immediately does not size up as a session beer; reminds me a little of heavy seas big dipa and dfh burton baton. (393 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Had on Cask at The Blind Tiger NYC.

A: Dark red. Big tan colored head.

S: Massive pine and citrus.

T: First notes are of pine needles, citrus and grapefruit. Backnote of crystal malt, vanilla and lemon. Wet aftertaste with alcohol esters.

M: Heavy body, with low carbonation. Very bitter.

O: Since this beer was on cask it was experienced at room temp. This really brought forth the flavor profile that would have been hidden by the taste dampening of normal tap temperatures. Really excellent beer. (507 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Budweiser branded American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours dark copper with a pretty small, but long standing tanned head that dissipates so slowly that it doesn't seem to dissipate at all.

Smell: Toasted malts with spicy, herbal hops and hints of fruit.

Taste: Toasty, buttery malts up front, with a bitter aftertaste that finishes sweet as well. Hints of rye. Rich with full, deep flavors. Bittersweet indeed!

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, thick, and creamy with balanced carbonation. Dry finish.

Drinkability: For a double IPA, this is very well balanced and full of flavor a variety of flavors, as opposed to just being full of hops. Pretty easy drinker for 10%ABV and something I highly recommend. (728 characters)

650ml bottle downed july 31 2009

A reddish bronze, with a head that just kept climbing up the glass pouring over the top and on too the table. thick head that stuck around, looked like little hills, thick patches of lace but could not see each sip

S caramel is very strong nice pine and citrus just great. as it warmed i picked up some bread and perhaps some faint smoke?

T sweet malt with some pine, citrus and a little bread. not as bitter as i thought it would be, i thought the 10% was a typo until i fell over reaching for seconds. not perfect but a wonderful dipa buy it if you can

M/D thick, creamy goodness. I wont lie i loved drinking this beer. smooth as silk, and i just cant get over the 10% where did they put it?

my highest marks to date with good reason. see it buy it drink it any questions??? (815 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Picked up a 4 pack just to try it. Looked interesting.
Bottle poured into a Tulip.

A- Wow! Really dark amber for a DIPA. Tan colored head creates a nice "cap" on the top of the beer that hangs around a long time. Looks very tasty.

S- Lots of spicy rye. Solid caramel malts in the back, and some dark fruits. Smell is more like a quad or a dubbel than DIPA. Smells very sweet. Very interesting.

T- Boom! Malt sweetness hits the tongue. The hops are not overpowering, they don't come right out and smack you in the face. It is very sweet compared to other DIPA's. The spicy rye hits you in the back of the mouth.

M- Very thick and creamy. Very light carbonation. An easy drinker for the 10% ABV.

O- Really surprised with this one, it really is an interesting beer. Since this beer is "Imperial" I'm going to put one away for a while. The sweet aroma and the sweet taste like a quad or a dubbel have me tricked. This is one DIPA that might age well. I'm interested to find out. (983 characters)

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company