He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
No picture uploaded.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,838 | Reviews: 870

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured the brew from a 22oz bomber into a Sam Adams tasting glass. It's a dark burnt-orange brown with a very thin head that tight, but fading fast -- not really what I like to see. The smell definitely has some citrus including heavy amounts of grapefruit, but also a malty (caramel?) character. After the first sip I'm a little surprised by the thick, syrupy consistency of the body and the medium-high level of carbonation. As soon as I got over that though I was able to enjoy the BOMB of hop flavor, though not of the same citrus quality I expected from its smell.

Still, if by "obscenely hopped" they mean "amazingly delicious" than I'd say the description is pretty accurate. While there is definitely a hefty hop presence in the initial sip, I think it's surprisingly well balanced; after a swish or two there is even a discernable malty sweetness to the flavor. The aftertaste definitely summons back its bitter roots, however, leaving a piney aftertaste.

Although I haven't had enough to have the alcohol become an issue, I think it's a little hefty to have more than just a (very, very enjoyable) bomber.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a deep amber hue into the Spiegelau. 1/2 finger of cream colored head with a ridiculously crisp division between brew and head, and tiny bubbles. Interesting nose with bright orange bitterness, grapefruit notes, and some noticeable rye. Not a 'top-shelf' IPA nose from my experiences, but it has its own thing going on, and I like it. the spicy rye notes hits you right away on the front of the palate, and then the flavors live up to the 'bitter-sweet' moniker. Grapefruit and orange juice notes supply the bitterness, and there is also a lingering sweetness intermingled. A nice pine note emerges mid palate as well to add to the overall complex malt profile. Slightly heavy and a bit cloying on the mouthfeel, but not inappropriate considering the unique take on the style. It's a head-scratcher, and not the same old IPA or rye IPA. Not just another hop bomb. Worth a try on all accounts.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a dark, slightly hazy, amber-copper coloring with a thin, filmy, off-white head that quickly settles into a sparse, filmy surface coating. Aromas of roasted grain and booze initially, with a tangy malt profile that combines caramel and tropical fruits. Hints of mango and papaya. Some citrus notes, as well, with some pepper notes; no hops presence on the nose otherwise. Flavors are a blast of hops. Holy monkey! Resiny and bitter, with a strong backbone of roasted, rich grain. Very well balanced after the initial shot in the mouth. The fruit presence becomes a mid-palate highlight, leaving as quickly and sneakily as it arrives. Booze and bitter hops finish the palate, as well as clean everything up. This beer is like a tornado touching down on your tongue (in a good way). Bitter, resiny, and slightly earthy aftertaste, with a clean, slightly dry finish. The beer is robust and full in mouth. This one's a heavy hitter, and it brings the flavor with it the whole way through.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours Ruby red, hints of golden light coming through on the edges, good head, not white, tinted with a bit of malt very small bubbles in the foam.

S- Very sweet in malts, rye, just a hint of hops, more earthy floral hops in the background. Nothing like the barreled age RIPA, more more aroma and i'm a bit disappointed by this.

T- Lots of Rye, The hops finally come through in this double IPA, sweet malt back bone. I get like an orange jello taste with it in the background. I get a bit of bourbon, and alcohol burn, bit of cherry syrup. Its almost fruity tasting with the rye and the malt backbone and a lot of other flavors going on to.. sorry i'm enjoy drinking this, and can't focus.

M- Smooth thick and heavy, not your more refreshing pale or ipa, this is heavy and flavorful, and you better have a freind to drink this with or a fine meal.

D- This is a solid beer, however the barreled age is a couple levels above this. Still a good beer, its my only beer from He'brew and i'm gonna have to start drinking more of their beers. However the price for 4 is redoculous !

4.02/5  rDev -1%

This was a solid big beer. I figured that was a good way to open this. while I liked this beer, I wasn't blown away by any means. being a lover of all things hops, I definitely felt a big let down.

pouring this into a plastic pub cup from our speakeasy tour (we're watching the allstar game as true to being there as possible), I'll admit that the serving style was not ideal. None the less, it poured a deep amber with a solid head on it that took a good while to recede. to say this looked syrupy coming out of the bottle would be a large understatement.

I picked up a touch of the rye from the nose, but more hops than anything... as is to be expected from a DIPA! But where'd all the hops go when it hit my lippy lips? I got a blast of malts and mostly rye malts at that. Not a bad thing, but after smelling this beer, that was not at all what I was expecting. it was sweet and creamy, but the hops bitterness that I was looking for turned into nothing more than a bit of a bite in the back of the mouth. malty malty, to say the least.

This really did feel good going down though, I'm absolutely obligated to say that much. it was nice and creamy, not overly heavy. as for the feel, it was enjoyable, but I have to say that sharing half a bomber was definitely enough for me. This is one of my favorite styles and while it was a nice showing, I wasn't really interested in more of it!

I have to say I suspect that we may have had an older bottle of this, and if I've left an inaccurate representation of this beer, I apologize. This is not entirely what I was expecting though.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company