He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured the brew from a 22oz bomber into a Sam Adams tasting glass. It's a dark burnt-orange brown with a very thin head that tight, but fading fast -- not really what I like to see. The smell definitely has some citrus including heavy amounts of grapefruit, but also a malty (caramel?) character. After the first sip I'm a little surprised by the thick, syrupy consistency of the body and the medium-high level of carbonation. As soon as I got over that though I was able to enjoy the BOMB of hop flavor, though not of the same citrus quality I expected from its smell.

Still, if by "obscenely hopped" they mean "amazingly delicious" than I'd say the description is pretty accurate. While there is definitely a hefty hop presence in the initial sip, I think it's surprisingly well balanced; after a swish or two there is even a discernable malty sweetness to the flavor. The aftertaste definitely summons back its bitter roots, however, leaving a piney aftertaste.

Although I haven't had enough to have the alcohol become an issue, I think it's a little hefty to have more than just a (very, very enjoyable) bomber.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a dark, slightly hazy, amber-copper coloring with a thin, filmy, off-white head that quickly settles into a sparse, filmy surface coating. Aromas of roasted grain and booze initially, with a tangy malt profile that combines caramel and tropical fruits. Hints of mango and papaya. Some citrus notes, as well, with some pepper notes; no hops presence on the nose otherwise. Flavors are a blast of hops. Holy monkey! Resiny and bitter, with a strong backbone of roasted, rich grain. Very well balanced after the initial shot in the mouth. The fruit presence becomes a mid-palate highlight, leaving as quickly and sneakily as it arrives. Booze and bitter hops finish the palate, as well as clean everything up. This beer is like a tornado touching down on your tongue (in a good way). Bitter, resiny, and slightly earthy aftertaste, with a clean, slightly dry finish. The beer is robust and full in mouth. This one's a heavy hitter, and it brings the flavor with it the whole way through.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours Ruby red, hints of golden light coming through on the edges, good head, not white, tinted with a bit of malt very small bubbles in the foam.

S- Very sweet in malts, rye, just a hint of hops, more earthy floral hops in the background. Nothing like the barreled age RIPA, more more aroma and i'm a bit disappointed by this.

T- Lots of Rye, The hops finally come through in this double IPA, sweet malt back bone. I get like an orange jello taste with it in the background. I get a bit of bourbon, and alcohol burn, bit of cherry syrup. Its almost fruity tasting with the rye and the malt backbone and a lot of other flavors going on to.. sorry i'm enjoy drinking this, and can't focus.

M- Smooth thick and heavy, not your more refreshing pale or ipa, this is heavy and flavorful, and you better have a freind to drink this with or a fine meal.

D- This is a solid beer, however the barreled age is a couple levels above this. Still a good beer, its my only beer from He'brew and i'm gonna have to start drinking more of their beers. However the price for 4 is redoculous !

4.02/5  rDev -1%

This was a solid big beer. I figured that was a good way to open this. while I liked this beer, I wasn't blown away by any means. being a lover of all things hops, I definitely felt a big let down.

pouring this into a plastic pub cup from our speakeasy tour (we're watching the allstar game as true to being there as possible), I'll admit that the serving style was not ideal. None the less, it poured a deep amber with a solid head on it that took a good while to recede. to say this looked syrupy coming out of the bottle would be a large understatement.

I picked up a touch of the rye from the nose, but more hops than anything... as is to be expected from a DIPA! But where'd all the hops go when it hit my lippy lips? I got a blast of malts and mostly rye malts at that. Not a bad thing, but after smelling this beer, that was not at all what I was expecting. it was sweet and creamy, but the hops bitterness that I was looking for turned into nothing more than a bit of a bite in the back of the mouth. malty malty, to say the least.

This really did feel good going down though, I'm absolutely obligated to say that much. it was nice and creamy, not overly heavy. as for the feel, it was enjoyable, but I have to say that sharing half a bomber was definitely enough for me. This is one of my favorite styles and while it was a nice showing, I wasn't really interested in more of it!

I have to say I suspect that we may have had an older bottle of this, and if I've left an inaccurate representation of this beer, I apologize. This is not entirely what I was expecting though.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

A- Beautiful ruby amber with a nice, fine creamy head that leaves sticky rings on the glass.

S-Smells like a big fresh fruity hop bomb, with good rye breadiness.

T/M-Big and bitter but well balanced with nice chewy malts and a powerful alcohol warming quality in the ever lingering finish.Smooth mouthfeel with an oily resinous hop quality that lasts for a while.

D-Nice stuff, but a sippin' beer for sure. This stuff will punch you in the face!

4.02/5  rDev -1%

A: Ruby amber body with a pretty tan head, good lace and nice head retention.
S: Rye, grain & caramel malty aromas.
T: Malt forward front end. A melange of hops finish dry, clean and bitter.
M: A very well-balanced brew that is equal parts malt and hops and as a result is bittersweet.
O: A thoroughly enjoyable Multi-faceted complex yet cohesive brew.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours out an amber/burgandy color. A one-finger head that left some lacing.

S - HOPS!!!

T - It was very hoppy and sweet, as well. It came across very spicy.

M - It was fairly dry and crisp. Heavy-bodied.

D - It was good but almost too hoppy. Nice sweet flavor, though.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

12oz bottle, great move to the smaller sized bottle.

Lenny's pours a deep brown/orange color with a large and strong tan head. Bright hops sit below a large malt aroma in the nose. This is a malt forward DIPA, the rye is able to shine better this way, however it goes without saying that this is one hoppy brew. Spicy, fruity hops mesh wonderfully with the rather complex malty backbone. Great complexity, creamy texture in the mouth, lighter carbonation and very well balanced. The 10% ABV is very well hidden, very good drinkability for its size. Cheers to Shmaltz for bringing this one out year round and now in 4pks!

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Poured with a lasting light head and a bit of lace. Slightly hazy dark amber color. Pungent aroma of hops with an enticing quality of sweet malt. The rye is a masterful touch. Full on in the hop department. No BS hefre. Slight alcohol character in the long, warm finish. . Very good body. Best beer that I've had from these guys yet.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first Shmaltz brew, and it was a good choice.

Nice, deep ruby color with a good head that laces well.

Smell is spicy malt - very aromatic.

Taste is rye up front with an immediate bitter hop bite that mellows with warming alcohol and peppery spice.

Rye malt and hops are very plentiful. Alcohol is noticeable and very present, but not overpowering.

A great tribute beer, and somewhat unique in that it adds the rye to a style that is becoming fairly prevalent. Highly recommended.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Pours a dark golden brown with limited head but leaves white lacing all down the glass. Has a sweet malty smell. I wasn't expecting as much sweetness as I got in the initial taste that had caramel maltiness with a hop backbone. Definitely not a hop-bomb and a nice scotchy after-taste. It has more of a scotch ale taste to it with a medium body.
Overall delicious.