He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
No picture uploaded.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,838 | Reviews: 870
4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Lenny's RIPA pours a nice deep amber red with an offwhite head that lingers as a thin but dense layer. The aroma is damp, citrus and piney hops mixed well with caramel malt. The flavor is bitter upfront with plenty of citrusy, spicy, herbal and piney hops. The malt isn't totally covered up. Plenty of caramel and toasted bread comes through. I get the feeling this beer isn't incredibly fresh, but it is delicious none the less. I can only imagine how good it would be fresh.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

My first review for a He'brew. A 22oz bomber with more writing on it than any Stone bottle I've seen. First quote that caught my eye: "Satire equals tragedy plus time - Lenny Bruce". Love it already.

Appearance- Dark ruddy bronze/red with an alarmingly rising head that leaves thick chunks of lace on the glass. Don't pour too aggresively or it'll end up on the floor!

Smell- Fruity sweetness hits first followed by caramel malts, cherries, some alcohol not quite hidden by the sweetness. There is quite a lot of alpha hop aroma around too. Floral and some citurs as well. I can tell I'm gonna like this one.

Taste- Creamy; thick and creamy as hell. The sweetness is predominant but perfectly balanced by the hops. The alcohol warms nicely and the hops come through with a nice taste to match the smell, floral and citrus. Caramel and cherries come through nicely too. This is one well hopped and malted brew, both very well balanced. I like it!!

Mouthfeel- I've always had trouble describing mouthfeel so have patience with me here. The carbonation is just right, not too bubbly nor too flat like some stouts. It plays nicely in your mouth. The creaminess is the main attraction to the mouthfeel, it just slides down like something much thicker.

Drinkability- Obviously I love this brew and even at 10%ABV I could drink it all night (at home). He'brew has made a bold statement in the Double IPA market and I can't think of too many I like better. If you can find this one, get it and get as many as you can. My local IGA got a 2 cases and I'm gonna buy one for the cellar.

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz Single bottle (no date I could find) poured into a milkshake pilsner glass.

Appearance: Poured a very impressive light tan head, which was very persistent. Lots and lots of lacing all over the glass. Lots of bubbles moving up slowly through the coppery-red/brown beer. Very nice to look at.

Smell: Citrus and floral hops dominate the smell of this beer.

Taste: Initial taste is a hint of malt, but that moves aside for citrusy hops and then a strong, but not overpowering bitter finish. Well blended though and the alcohol is not notable at all in the beer. Very balanced overall but there is a noticeable bitter aftertaste in the mouth for awhile between sips that gets stronger towards the end of the beer.

Mouthfeel: Right level of carbonation, thick and surprisingly creamy and very very smooth. Quite nice.

Drinkability: Went very well with a meal (I suppose the irony of having pork with this beer wouldn't be lost on Mr. Bruce) and is a beer for sipping and savoring. Glad I had it, but the bitterness wears on me a bit and I could never have more than one in a sitting.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer looks fantastic pouring a rich mahogany body with a medium, but lasting tan head that leaves a nice layer of lacing to cling to the glass.

The initial aroma leads me to believe this beer is HUGE! Loads of sweet and roasted malts, backed by abundant earthy hops. The hops seem woody and the malt sweet caramel but well complimented. There is a lot going on here. The rye is also apparent and seems to bring the malt and hops together. As the beer warms the rye steps forward even more so.

The flavor is a little varied from the aroma in that it is much woodier. It almost resembles the flavor of some barrel aged beers, or even a barleywine. The rye offsets the hops nicely, the caramel/sweet malt shows up, and then the woody notes kick in with the hops ending with a bitter finish.

Quite smooth and well balanced for a beer of such palate magnitude. Medium in body but incredibly abundant in character with medium to light carbonation.

This is a great beer. Easy to drink, almost dangerously so, with tons of character to offer and quite a value in the store. Certainly worth a try!

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Very deep red. easy to see through, but a nice deep, dark color. Very nice lace as the thick head subsides.

Strong, sweet hoppy smell, but with a bitter undertone. Slight pine scent.

Heavy hop flavor has a bitter, citrusy flavor. Slight sweetness, which is a good and necessary balance to the bitter. Slightly sweet aftertaste.

Medium thickness and good solid feel and texture. Sweetness in the aftertaste.

Very good IPA, excellent beer. The bitter hops may require a break between them, but delicious all night.

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

Excellent deep copper color. Clear. Less than a finger thick head that stays well. Excellent lacing. Very few to no bubbles.

Smells more like a Barley wine than an Imperial IPA. A lot of malt upfront that is mixed with hops. Hops are earthy and ground. A little bit of booze.

A decent amount of bitterness upfront and a very good bitter aftertaste. A very solid and malt dominated middle. A lot of rye in the flavor as well. Bitterness is a culmination of rye and hops. Finish of course is bitter.

Mouth feel is medium to slightly full. Again drinks a lot like a boozy and hop forward Barleywine than a double IPA. Low carbonation. A bit of alcohol warmth and hop bitterness makes it somewhat astringent.

Style Rate: This is rye DIPA. More of a Rye Barleywine. 4
Personal Rate: 4.25

I like the bitterness. If this were Barleywine. It would have gotten better grades from me.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. has a dark orange colour and an excellent 2 cm head. The smell is very bready with some orange citrus notes. This beer has a lovely, thick and slightly bitter taste: like blood orange. This beer is extremely thick... a great feel. Very nice.

This beer pours a darker golden color with a slightly dark tan head. The thick, fluffy looking head fades slowly, leaving a good amount of lace.

This beer has a crisp piney aroma. It also has a slightly sour, grainy aroma from the rye. I can detect a decent amount of sweet caramel malt aroma as well, balancing this beer quite nicely. The 10% ABV is hidden well in the aroma.

As with the aroma, this beer has a strong piney hop flavor. It tastes somewhat grainy as well. Unlike the aroma however, I can clearly taste the alcohol in this beer. A slight caramel malt flavor is also present.

This beer is full bodied. It leaves a grainy, piney aftertaste. The alcohol content in this beer warms slightly as it goes down. It is carbonated well.

I doubt this beer would make a great session beer. It is aggressive, and it is high in alcohol.

Overall: I have had this beer before on tap, but never got around to writing a review. As soon as I saw the bottle, I jumped at the chance to review it. As with everything I have had from Shmaltz Brewing Company, this beer is unique. Not what I usually enjoy, and therefore always worth trying.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

The RIPA had a small foam head with a little bit of lacing. It was a nice dark amber almost copper color.

The aroma was was a sweet maltiness that dominated the nose. It tasted of caramel and was peppery and spicy. In the mouth it was thin and herbal. I would try this one again. Still fairly new to the double IPA realm.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip; no freshness dating apparent. Deep amber color that is slightly hazy and has a tint of red. Good two-finger tan head that has good retention and leaves good lacing.

The aroma is more subtle than I expected from the "obscene" amount of malt and hops advertised on the label. I'm getting primarily caramel malt and a touch of rye. Very little hop aroma present.

The flavor is a bit better with the caramel malt dominating. A definite bitter flavor from the rye and some pine-resin hop notes. The mix works well as a whole for the flavor.

Fairly dense mouthfeel and also very little notice of the alcohol. With no freshness dating, I can't tell is this is old, but more hops would be welcome. But, a solid rye IPA nonetheless.

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

A - Pours a nice dark amber red color with a 2-finger off white head. The head had decent retention and left just a little bit of lacing on the glass. There was a lot of carbonation visible.

S - This smells of caramel sweetness. The rye is there as well, but it isn't as strong as I thought it would be. The scent of hops is also present, but this beer is definitely malt dominated. The sweet smell of this beer is nice.

T - Caramel sweetness up front. There are also notes of rye, grapefruit hops, and a little citrus. The finish of this beer is of hop bitterness. I thought the rye would come into play more than it did here in the taste.

M - The mouthfeel is decent. It has a medium body with medium carbonation. It also has a creaminess to it, and it is also a little bit warming.

D - I would say that this is a pretty drinkable beer. I really wish the rye would have come into play more than it did, but I still think it is definitely worth trying. I would pick this one up again if there wasn't anything else that caught my eye, but I think overall this beer is ultimately forgettable.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Served from a chilly bottle into a chalice. The beer is dark copper in color, translucent, with a head of uniformly small tan bubbles. There are a few bubbles of carbonation rising within the glass. If I could give the smeel of this beer a 4.2 rating, I would. It's a bit better than some 4.0 ratings I've given, but I'm not quite ready to give it a 4.5. It has a robust hop aroma. It's dry and earthy, but also a little sweet. The beer has an interesting flavor. The instant it touches my tongue, I get hit with some candy sweetness. It instantly changes to a bread-like flavor as the beer fills my mouth. As it sits there, the hops begin to appear. While swallowing, the hops get more bitter and linger on for a while. There is certainly some candy sugar and alcohol throughout the tasting. Each sip of this beer is a real mouthful; heavy body and a lot of mouthcoating are some real pluses, but a high amount of sugary stickiness is a slight drawback. This is an easy drinking DIPA. The 22oz bottle would be great for one if you wanted to enjoy it over a good amount of time (longer than a meal), and is perfect for splitting between two. I wouldn't want to drink more than one in a session, as the sweetness may get overwhelming. Otherwise, a solid DIPA and worth seeking out.

3.76/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - A beautiful beer. Clear reddish amber with 4+ fingers of light tan head. Retention is great with the head lasting upwards of a few minutes leaving spectacular, webby lacing behind.

S - Malty sweetness is more than obvious upfront. Lots of caramel and some frut aromas. I'm not sure if I can detect the rye or not. The hops are also quite assertive with notes of pine and grapefruit. Slight herbal aromas as well.

T - Syrupy sweet malt takes hold first. Lots of caramel and touches of butterscotch and molasses. Hops enter next, full of herbal, spicy, and flowery flavors. Grass, pepper, rosehips, pine, spruce, and light fruity undertones all come to mind, ending in a rather high and coarse bitterness. Alcohol is quite apparent in the finish.

M - Thick, full bodied, syrupy, even a bit oily. Carbonation is moderate helping to thin out some of the brew's syrupy nature.

D - Not the DIPA I expected, but wonderfully unique in it's own right. Though I generally prefer maltier DIPAs, Lenny's RIPA almost gets a little TOO malty, with a nearly overbearing sweetness. Overall it works together, but it is on the sweet side and the alcohol is barely hidden at all.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company