He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros
Reviews: 871 | Hads: 1,897
4.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap here at the Yard House in Virginia Beach.

Appearance: reddish dark amber. Head retains very nicely.

Smell: definitely has the classic IPA pine smell. With a hint of rye.

Taste: The rye comes through here but its not like most rye beers, which I liken to drinking rye bread. The hops balance it very nicely here.

Mouthfeel: not overpowering, but the hops linger more than the rye. Which I'm quite fine with.

Overall: Have now gotten this two nights in a row. I hope I can find this back in WI...

Update: unable to find this back home, so I got another pint at the Yardhouse. Perhaps its because of the Rogue swill I had tonight, but I think I underrated this. Spectacular. I've kept the review to reflect my initial tasting. (736 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Poured a deep amber with a very thick and steady head.
Smells sweet. Caramel, grapefruit, hints of cinnamon
The taste is pretty rockin. Nice bready/biscuity flavor from the rye, hops spice it all up a bit. Nice grapefruit after taste.
Feels a little sticky on the tongue, not quite as smooth as I would prefer.
Great drinkability especially for a %10 (351 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This Rye Double IPA pours a deep copper with a nice thick head and great lacing. The smell is hoppy with some citrus sweetness and maltiness. The taste is complex- it starts off with carmel sweetness, grapefruit tartness, toasted notes, and rye. This is a medium bodied brew with average carbonation. This is a great beer and I could have this at any time. (356 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -45.9%

22oz. bottle purchased for $4.99 on 7-1-7 at Tanasbourne Haggen.

Pours a copperish hue which actually closely resembles the pomegranate offering from the same brewery. Pours a mediocre head that vanishes almost completely within a few minutes. My first thought upon opening, was that this beer smells a lot like DFH 90. I think it's the malt. My first taste was surprising. It seems as though something is missing. I was expecting something bigger. The hops come through kinda weak, and there is a strong aspirin-like aftertaste which only becomes more prevalent as the beer warms. Other than that, the beer is malt-dominated. Perhaps this one may have been subjected to a few too many nights on the shelf, but I can't confirm without a freshness date. Overall, disappointing. (780 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Incredible aroma on this one. Sweet malt and good balance of rye. Nice balance. Very smooth with a good hoppy bite on the finish. Good body. Mouthfeel is just a little sticky. Near the end it seemed to be a tad to much sweetness. Overall, this is an impressive beer. (266 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.4%

Described as a Double IPA with Rye Malt
12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass.

The appearance is a light coffee color. Very much like a traditional Brown Ale. Pours with a short cream colored head, which lingers on the top for a bit. Filtered. Light to moderate lacing on the glass.

The body is dense and full. Very heavy. Thick as an imperial stout or a cream ale.

Taste is at best lacking. There is essentially nothing on the front end. First impact comes from the body of the beer, which transitions into a light malty flavor and then quickly to a ver intense bitterness which coats the tongue and lingers in the mouth for at least a minute.

Aroma is malty. Sweet. A hint of sourness. Little or no hoppy aroma which is disappointing.

The beer is a bit of a shock to the taste buds but it becomes less threatening as you continue to drink. Not a bad drink but an acquired taste. I love double IPAs but this one eludes me. It doesn't come together as a whole. (970 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Poured 41 degrees Fahrenheit into a Dogfish Head bulb glass.

Pours a deep red amber with a one finger tan colored head rising late to the surface.

Smells of a pungent grain, rye, toffee, and caramel. Projected very well.

Taste is an intense blend of hops and grain with an early attack of bitters that blend into a rush of caramel and rye. Tastes very much like it smells. Intensely long finish and

Mouthfeel consists primarily of more spice than effervescence. It doesn't feel lacking though because the flavor takes center stage - leading me to believe that any more effervescence would just be overkill/compete with the flavor profile.

Overall, incredibly flavorful with intense projections in the nose and the taste that don't have ready equals that come to mind. In looking at it? I guess it's an IPA..it's obviously pretty unconventional though. This will not sit well with everyone, and is really I think a beer drinker's beer at the end of the day. Balanced and uniquely crafted.

91. (998 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Dark Ruby Tawny color decent head retention.

Smell: Maple Syrup, honey, hops

Taste: Malty out the ass, hops, alcohol

Mouthfeel: Smooth - very tannic

Drinkability: I enjoyed this malt/hop bomb - but one at a time. I recommend for those who really enjoy barleywine and are looking to get into DIPA's . I also recommend for those who aren't totally into hops - as this DIPA has ton's of malt. Another stepping stone to the temple of hops. (452 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

This is beer. The first two were probably the best beers I've had this year. Subsequent bottles have not been quite as good, due to fading hop presence, same batch, only available at Beer Heaven Philly that I know of. Very much reminds me of Hop Rod Rye. Rarified company.

Pours dark amber. rust, beautiful. Huge rocky head, retention lace. Yea it's a looker. Smells fresh citrus orange and grapefruit, huge pine sap, rye bread, caramel and butterscotch malts. And thats what it tastes like, with a huge bone dry, bitter orange aftertaste that lingers forever. Thick rich butterscotch cake batter smell and taste really stand out. One of the most complex beers. Smoooth and incredibly satisfying, chewy and very sticky.

Why we drink beer. Definite candidate for "if you could drink one beer, and one beer only". (813 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a dark amber with a nice off white head that sticks around for a while. Quite a bit of lacing as it goes down.

Smell is mostly sweet/caramel malt, but also some grapefruit from the hops. Taste follows the nose perfectly. Fairly well balanced, although I could go for some more hops. I have no idea when this was bottled though, so it might be a freshness issue. The taste is where the rye really shines, providing a very nice spicy finish. I was kind of hoping for a bit more rye but the beer is well balanced with the amount that is has.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and almost creamy, a real highpoint for this beer. For a ten percent beer this is very drinkable. There is a little warmth in the finish, but this doesn't detract from the beer or effect the flavor in any way. Overall a very good DIPA, with some rye as a bonus. (834 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Appearance: 22 oz. bomber poured into a standard pint glass. This beer pours a nice dark amber color with a slightly off-white head. While pouring it out of the bottle I could tell that it was thicker than your average brew.

Smell: Sweet, like caramelized candy. This might be just me, but the first smell I thought of was white raisins.

Taste: Flavors are somewhat difficult to distinguish because there is a lot going on. There is a definite bread-like aftertaste which I'm pretty sure can be contributed to the rye, but it still has the sweetness the scent promised almost tasting like caramel/toffee hard candy. Also, that mysterious white raisin flavor makes its way through. If I were blindfolded and tasted this beer the only way I would really know it was a double IPA is the alcohol. I feel as if there is a good amount of bittering hops thrown in but not a huge amount of flavoring ones. In other words, they really doubled up on both malts and hops but the malts taking the forefront in this one.

Mouth feel: Nice and sticky, just how it looked like it would feel when I poured it. Very smooth for a double IPA, I can tell it is above average in ABV but I wouldn't have guessed 10%.

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable for this type of beer. If I had more than just one I'd probably drink then consecutively and enjoy the buzz.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer more than any other He'Brew I've had. Which I suppose doesn't say much since I've only tried two. I'm looking forward to trying more from this brewery. Mazal tov! (1,576 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Pours a reddish, amber color with a light off-white head.

S- Good aroma here, with a nice balance of malt and hops, and some scidity, which I guess is attributed to the rye.

T&M- This is a delicious concoction, that does a good job of balancing the hop flavor with the malt and rye. It is definitely bittersweet, that's for sure. The caramel and maybe toffee flavor has your sweet side blending with the bitterness of the hops, and there is just an edge of spice in there to make it even more complex. Somewhat heavier or thicker than other DIPAs, but is pretty smooth for a 10% ABV. Definitely a drinkable brew. (617 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

Pours a very clear dark amber/garnet, with a rather reluctant head that fades to a cap, but which follows the beer. Lots of tight bubbles rising through the liquor somewhat languidly. Very pretty to look at, but bringing it to the nose really reveals something special. Piney hops are quite evident, but the spiciness of the rye lends an intriguing quality that separates this from the everyday. Some pineapple makes its way in too. The flavor is balanced; rye malt, but not too much, plenty of American hops, some fruit, and a hint of caramel. The finish is dry but not at all astringent. In the mouth it is full bodied but not heavy, with plenty of carbonation but not so much to be distracting. Despite the strength and the unusual nature of the rye malt, it is very easy to drink; in fact, I am disappointed my wife bought me only the one to try.

This is far and away the best offering from this brewery, and a world class double IPA. (991 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle, 2011 vintage.

Pour: Deep, dark copper brown. Looks thick and coating, the almost tanned off white head is well carbonated and lingers for awhile.

Nose: Sweet caramel malt, sweet rye as well as rye spice. West coast hops, citrusy, grapefruit and pine.

Taste: Cloyingly sweet which is strange considering the nose. Otherwise the hops that eventually come through ate citrusy, pineapple, and pine but that malt/rye sweetness comes back and leaves some good rye spice on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thick for the style but perhaps it seems thicker due to the cloying sweetness in the taste.

Overall: Too sweet, wouldn't pick up again. (645 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

12FL OZ. bottle into pint-cone glass.

A - Pours dark-amber/brown, with a thick creamy/tan head...- some great lacing.

S - Hops and lots of malts- some citrus and spicy-rye tones...

T - Boom & Big! A great hop & malty kick at the top, followed by some citrus, then ending with a bit of pine-like spices...Pleasant & refreshing!!

M - Great carbonation! There's a good fullness. Present, but not 'too' much fruity/sweet flavors...The final pine/spice balances the beer out wonderfully!

O - This one is great!! I think what make this beer so good is the fine line of not over-doing 'it' in any particular area (hops, fruity-flavor, pine/spice, carbonation, and last but not least, alcohol level). VERY refreshing and will get again and...…Goin’ to look for a tap ASAP!!! (777 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Purchased this 22 oz from Barry at The Beer Authority when I mentioned how much I liked Blue Dot and Founders Red's Rye P.A.

It poured with a HUGE foam head with only a slightly aggressive pour. It was a dark copper color with a ton of bubbles.

Immediately noticed the piney resin smell with only a hint of malt, which is what I like in a DIPA. I let it warm just a bit cause I accidently left it on the back porch too long in 30 degree PNW weather. I could taste the hop bite right off, followed quickly by the rye malt, which dissipated upon the warmth of the 10% alcohol.

I would definitely buy this again. (613 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a cloudy darker amber almost brown/red color with a off white head. Minimal lacing and hardly any retention. Unfortunatly the sediment at the bottom of my bottle got disturbed, and there is a lot of sediment.

S- Mostly hops in the nose but some definite grain character is coming through. Slight hint of dark fruits.

T- Very oily hops, an extremely chewy beer here. Some earthy tastes and yeast tastes. Kind of a sweet beer.

M- Again very thick and chewy brew. The rye seems to add alot to this.

D- Pretty drinkable, but it isn't a refreshing beer and not really a warmer. A great autumn beer though. (641 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Bought a bottle at BevMo on 7/29/07
Appearance: Dark, burnt orange with a huge whit head that disspates very slowly
Smell: Aggressive hops and lots of malt
Taste: A good hop bite with a lot of malt to back it up. Only complaint is the sweetness on this one.
Mouthfeel: Very solid. Sweet, silky, hop-helped, coating texture on the back of the throat.
Drinability: Not bad for a 10% brew. I honestly did not taste the alcohol on this one. A very good beer and the first I have tried from the Schmaltz brewing.
Recommended (525 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Reviewed this bad boy back in march or april of 2008.

This beer pours a dark, clear, ruby brown with an off-white, thick, creamy head. There's lots of lacing left behind.

Smell is light; citrus hops and rye. Citrus and grapefruit presence.

I get the rye up front in the taste; then, the lemon and grapefruit hops hit. I love those citrus hops. Definite alcohol presence. I feel like this beer has a darker backbone than most DIPAS,the maltiness is unusual in conjunction with these citrusy hops, but I'm really liking it.

There's a creamy mouthfeel which I really enjoy. Great brew, a little different, I'd definitely recommend it. It's my first from this brewery, I'm curious about what else they have to offer. (716 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

22 poured in my Duvel

A: A stunningly clear but dark amber colored brew. Head is gorgeous, nice and thick and foamy and composed of small bubbles. Great lacing.

S: Such a strong, malty-sweet aroma. Some fruit in the back but I can't put my finger on it. A good spice comes through too.

T: Not lacking any flavor. Caramel malts hit you up front with some fruity wine esters as well. The backend is spicy (thank you rye) and hop bitterness charges in to balance out the sweetness. Very bitter-chocolate-esque at the end.

M: A little sticky, a little syrupy but not bad. Could stand for a bit more carbonation.

D: Good beer, but certainly not something you can turn to a lot. Or maybe you can, but I can't. It's damn good though. (731 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Poured a slightly hazy copper color with a thick almond head. Strong lacing. Aroma is malty, caramel, and hoppy. Amazing full mouthfeel. Flavor is a nice hoppy taste, with grapefruit, rye, and pine hints to it. Ranks right up there with Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye as the best rye beers that I've had. (309 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: Pours an inky, dark, caramel color with a dark tan head that does not stay around for long.

Smell: Resiny hop aromas and a definite caramel background.

Taste: Wow! Drinking this brew is like getting punched in the face by hops, malts and rye! Very sticky, resiny hop presence up front, backed by a very strong caramelly rye malt taste with the hop bitterness coming back at the end. Like the bottle says, "Brewed with an obscene amount of malts & hops".

M&D: THICK! They really pack in the ingredients here. While tasty, this beer is very difficult to drink, especially during the summer. This high-viscosity brew would be much better on a cold fall night. (677 characters)

4.03/5  rDev 0%

22oz bottle poored into a pint glass.

Nice copper clored brew with amber highlights and a large sticky ivory head with some serious retention and very impressive lacing. Nice presentation on the bottle as well. Well the first thing that hits your nose is the hops right? no. Surprisingly its the malts, rye and crystal I beleive and there are alot of them overpowering the hops IMO, but still there is floral, grassy and piney smells sneaking by the well malted nose with some citrus rind as well. As in the nose its a huge sweet malt flavor up front then some spicey rye and alcohol come in with a sour grapefruit rind type of flavor. Also can pick out a little grassy and piney hop. Good mouth feel thick but not chewy while the hop oils leave an excellent slick behind letting you apreciate some of the huge hop bill of this beer that is overshadowed by the malts. Drinkability was very good and overall I really loved this beer although for an IIPA it seems to be tilted too much to the malt side than the hop side. (1,020 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

This R.I.P.A. was poured into a goblet and poured a nice amber gold with cream colored head and nice lacing.

Initial nosing was malty almost bread like sweetness that was slowly overtaken by the floral hop notes.

The taste starts off with a rich sweetness that blends nicely with the hoppiness of an IPA. Both combine nicely to bring about a very enjoyable palate experience, that finishes with a subtle citrus finish. Niceky balanced.

The mouthfeel is thicker then most IPA's and for me that's wonderful. It has a chewiness and richness that works well.

Overall this was a very nice brew and not being an overt hop head I found this brew to be an extremely pleasant IPA. One that I would reccomend highly. Enjoy!!! (719 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

APPEARANCE: Poured into a goblet from the tap, this beer exhibited a 1/2" foamy off-white head with excellent lacing that dissipated very slowly. The body was a hazy moderately deep amber.

AROMA: The first whiff of this beer just about knocked my socks off. A heavy, spiced citrus scent was most prominent with overlays of floral, orange and a slight hint of perfume. All of this was supported by a light malt aroma of caramel.

TASTE: The taste of this beer was as audaciously sharp as its namesake, with a heavy blast of hops exhibiting a strong citrus backbone with grapefruit, floral and orange overtones and just a hint of pine. There was a light taste of spicy alcohol and this whole structure, which could easily be too bitter (but was not), was supported by a medium toasted malt flavor (which, because of the strong hoppyness, actually seemed light) with overtones of caramel.

DRINKABILITY: This beer was as audaciously brash as its namesake, pushing the edge of the envelope all the way but never crossing the line into harshness. This was the first one of these I've ever had and, while I wouldn't pick it for a long night of imbibing, I would go out of my way to pick some up for any other social occasion with those who enjoy excellent, hoppy beer. (1,264 characters)

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company