He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros
BigJim5021

01-14-2014 03:28:06 | More by Pens1967
EricCioe

Montana

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

This pours a medium amber with a one finger eggshell head that leaves spotty lace on the way down to a thin cap. On the nose there is smooth caramel mixed in with the spice from the rye, with a nice big boozy note underneath. It almost smells like a variation of an English barleywine with the nice addition of rye. In the mouth there comes a little bit of bitterness sitting on top of big clouds of caramel and rye. It's sweet, almost candy-like, but with a hint of bitterness. The body is medium full but a bit sticky for my tastes.

Overall, this is a really nice beer, pretty unique among things I've tried. This is more a modified barleywine to me than a DIPA, but the addition of rye is pretty genius no matter what you call it.

07-02-2011 00:16:56 | More by EricCioe
changeup45

4.18/5  rDev +3%

This is one big beer. Reddish/copper color, an off-white head with some retention and spotty lacing. The aroma is a very good intro to what you're going to get: fruity, lots of hops and a touch of the rye malt. The first few sips it seemed to start with rye malts as well as some caramel, a bit sugary and sweet, followed by a blast of very bitter hops with a sour grapefruit presence. Malts showed late in the finish as well although the grapefruit hops constantly linger a long time, well into the aftertaste. Rich, full and a little sticky. Halfway through the bomber, as the alcohol started going to my head and my palate shredded it was just one huge bitter/rye/hoppy/sour complex taste. I don't necessarily think it's high on the drinkability scale due to it's sharp bitter flavor but I thought it was wonderful.

08-28-2008 18:00:09 | More by changeup45

08-11-2014 16:30:29 | More by cardinals22
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%

poured into a flaired tulip glass from a 22oz brown bottle with crimped cap.

Hazy,deep reddish copper color with a generous off white very creamy head,good retention,tightly knit strings of very tiny bubbles rising from the sides of the glass with a steady stream of bubbles emerging from the center of the glass,leaving sticky lacing down the sides of the glass.

Tart, fruity, berry- like aromas with floral,citrusy notes, also had a green apple and fresh cut grass smells. The aromas were very faint for a DIPA, no dating on the bottle might have been lost with age.

Heavy,sweet intense carmell malitness with a burnt edge to it followed by a hop rush of resiny,leafy with lots of citrus rind. Good balance with alcoholic heat throughtout. Thick and juicy with intense hop notes.

A sipper,very rough,not much drinkability. One of the least drinkable doubles i've had,if you like it hoppy this beer's for you. Don't let the aroma fool you this beer packs a serious hop punch.

08-20-2007 00:06:22 | More by jcdiflorio
slim2043

Connecticut

04-28-2013 12:31:55 | More by slim2043
Pellinore1

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a bottle into a 12 oz. tulip. Brown with a nice, light head. Darker than I expected.

Smells of citrusy hops and rye, very nice.

The taste brings more of the same. Very hoppy, with just enough malt for a good balance.

Thick, with just a bit of sweetness, the mouthfeel is not unusual for an imperial IPA.

Overall, an excellent beer, and one I will look for again. It reminds me of a stronger Founder's Red's Rye, which probably should not be surprising.

10-10-2010 04:04:53 | More by Pellinore1
rkarimi

Colorado

4.26/5  rDev +4.9%

06-20-2012 01:01:02 | More by rkarimi
Greggy

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours an exceptional dark copper/red color with a nice tan head. The body has just a touch of fine sediment. There is some nice sticky lacing as well.

S- Impressive. Very nutty, sweet, maple nut, and a bunch of dark fruits. There is a nice balance of rye in the mix too.

T- Very sweet and nutty malt with butterscotch, after the nice smooth malt it turns to a very nice dry hop finish.

M- Very thick and creamy.

D- The alc is extremely well hidden in this one. The only thing letting me know this was over 7% was the thick mouthfeel. I would have NEVER guessed that this was 10%. Incredible Brew.

09-18-2008 17:25:54 | More by Greggy
zenwatts

02-13-2012 09:39:04 | More by zenwatts
NWer

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Poured nice dark bronze color. Good head retention.
Very powerful taste. Overwhelmingly thick flavors. Hops up front followed by smooth, sweet malty backbone.
Pleasant aftertaste. Drinks way too easy to be a 10% ABV beer.
Incredible. Local beer store was clearing it out and I bought the last one. Will be on the lookout for more.

01-31-2012 04:28:09 | More by NWer

04-06-2013 03:50:17 | More by mcdsports
minterro

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

I'll preface my 100th rating with this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIp3rubYr0c

In my pursuit to find the perfect beer for my 100th rating I found myself at Odaes Big Ten Store in Lansing, MI. And this beer was suggested by the stoner cashier. Very humorous label example: “contains explicit adult material”. Along with the funnies the label contains a quote from our beloved beer advocate. I was originally going to rate Cream Brulee for my 100th but, this beer was calling to me. Not only is this beer a better representative of “my kind of beer” but its also 10.0% abv.

A & S: not super powerful scent but it’s a mix of floral and piney hops. With hints of alcohol, with a faint bready smell. The beer pours with a thick, fizzy, tan head. Leaves a lagging lacing, where that falls back into the beer after a few seconds. The beer is a classic IPA copper colored beer.

T & M: very warming feeling while drinking it. Powerful but not super hoppy. Huge malty background, with hints of rye (I was expecting a bit more) and citrus. The 10% is present but, not overpowering. I was expecting more of a hop bomb, but its was still very pleasant to drink like a dogfish head 90. Unlike dogfish head its quite pleasantly bitter and maybe a bit winey in the finish. Smooth but, crisp beer, with a full body (when warmed), medium to low carbonation.

O: I can’t complain as far as beers go. I’m wondering if the 'Cream Brulee' would have been a better pick, but I’m certainly not disappointed.

Anyways, while i was rating this beer I was looking back and thinking about the amount of time I spend rating beer. It probably takes me between 30 mins to an hour to rate a beer, thats like 75 hours I've spend rating beers, thats like over 3 days. At first I was like this is a huge waste of time, but then I really couldnt think of what i rather be doing. SO CHEERS! LONG LIVE BEER ADVOCATE!

09-29-2011 04:47:35 | More by minterro
Domvan

05-20-2014 00:42:28 | More by Domvan
acevenom

Louisiana

Poured into a pint glass. Pours clear, dark reddish copper with a tall biege head. The head retains well, dissipating slowly and leaving abundant lacing on the side of the glass. There are strong aromas of sweet roasted malts, rye spiciness, and citrusy and floral hops. It smells earthy. It's such an inviting smell. The flavors up front reflect the big malt presence of this beer, which is sweet and bready. There is that rye spiciness and the hop bitterness that hits on the back end. There are some citrus flavors as well. The alcohol is masked very well in the taste. The body is full and the mouthfeel is creamy. There isn't much carbonation. This is also easy to gulp for such a big ABV beer. Overall, this is an excellent and unique DIPA that I would recommend.

04-30-2012 21:23:51 | More by acevenom
Dave1999

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a dark red, semi transparent with a small off white head.

The smell is really malty,sweet and strong. There are dark fruits, plums and rasins, smells great.

The taste is bitter and sweet, malty, dark fruits, very strong. There is a bitter hop precence but it is secondary to the malty dark fruit flavours. The hops are piney.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation.

Overall this drinks like a red ale, reminds me of bear republics red rocket ale which I really like. The obvious difference is the high alcohol content. This is a dark fruit bomb and I do enjoy it but it doesn't taste like what I'd expect from a dipa.

08-04-2013 18:21:50 | More by Dave1999
Bfarr

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Dark copper with a moderate tan frothy head with great retention. Spicy sweet and rich malty bread aromas. Rich rye malt sweetness followed by a solid earthy spice hop finish with a light to moderate lingering. Thick chewy feel.

This is like a liquid piece of rye bread with strong hops playing with it. A big beautiful malty beer and I just love all the flavors in it. I would love the opportunity to try this at various stages.

07-27-2012 00:19:48 | More by Bfarr