He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Picked one of these up at Bauer's...
Dark mahogany in color with a full finger of bright white head...most fades, but leaves behind some attractive lacing.
Alcohol hits the nose first, along with some fruity hops, sweet caramelized malt and cherries.
Taste is also quite boozy...plenty of citrus hops and the sweetness hangs on in the aftertaste. The rye is apparent, but unfortunately, masked from the heat...still very bitter.
Luckily, the heat works its way into the brew halfway thru and is no longer a distraction.
Mouthfeel is thick and the carbonation is a tad high for me.
Easy enough to consume the bomber, but not moving on to another.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Served on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD into a goblet at the appropriate temperature (01/02/10).

A: Pours an oily and hazy golden brown capped with a small amount of off-white foam with some staying power producing some excellent lacing.

S: Interesting smell dominated by rye malt and some piney hops with a few citrus tones mixed in.

T: First of all this is only my second rye DIPA and I'm trying to get into this style, but I'm having some difficulties. Rye malt again dominated the palate along with grassy hops and a slight citrus coming in at the end. Some caramel sweetness in there as well, but the rye is the centerpiece here.

M: Really nice creamy mouthfeel and quite full-bodied. For me this was the highlight of this beer.

D: For me the rye is just not a flavor that I am terribly found of at this time and one goblet was just fine for me. the 10% abv. was also slightly present limiting this.

Overall this is a style that I am rather unfamiliar with and will take some time getting use to. However, this seems like a very well-crafted beer and I would assume rye lovers would be quite pleased. Worth a Look.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

Excellent deep copper color. Clear. Less than a finger thick head that stays well. Excellent lacing. Very few to no bubbles.

Smells more like a Barley wine than an Imperial IPA. A lot of malt upfront that is mixed with hops. Hops are earthy and ground. A little bit of booze.

A decent amount of bitterness upfront and a very good bitter aftertaste. A very solid and malt dominated middle. A lot of rye in the flavor as well. Bitterness is a culmination of rye and hops. Finish of course is bitter.

Mouth feel is medium to slightly full. Again drinks a lot like a boozy and hop forward Barleywine than a double IPA. Low carbonation. A bit of alcohol warmth and hop bitterness makes it somewhat astringent.

Style Rate: This is rye DIPA. More of a Rye Barleywine. 4
Personal Rate: 4.25

I like the bitterness. If this were Barleywine. It would have gotten better grades from me.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a nice dark amber color with a thick light tan head. Copius amount of lacing left behind. Nice.

Smells good, too. Spicy citrus hops, bready malts, alcohol, raisins, caramel and rye. ABV is 10% and it smells that way...but it's not overpowering at all.

The taste is stronger on the alcohol than the hops and it should be the other way, imho. Sweet malts are also a lot more dominant than I would have thought. But that is a good thing. It all blends together pretty decently.

Mouthfeel is a dry, medium body with a good bitter punch in the aftertaste. You start to feel the abv before you finish the whole 22oz...atleast I am. And as it warms that pesky alcohol gets stronger....and that doesn't help.

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Ruby red, light brown color. Very slightly head, extremely light lacing. Low carbonation, just looks like a massive hop bomb.

Smell: A ton of saturated hop character with some lighter then expected rye accents. The hops just dominate with accents of prairie grass, straw, bitter pine, pinecones, and resin. Despite all the hops, excellent malt backbone which really brings this aroma full circle.

Taste: A front full of pine, bitter resin, maple syrup, and straw. The body yields to a strong malty sweetness with a perfect amount of hop accents. The finish is a palate punishing dryness with plenty of hop and malt brightness. Waves of complex flavor keeping flowing over the tongue, never letting up.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, palate punishing awesomeness with a wonderful malt body.

Overall: This beer is a hop bomb with so much more going on then just punishing hops. The palate is taken for a true ride and this comes out to be a truly memorable beer.

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Being a gentile, I would have never shopped for a beer in the kosher section if it wasn't for my beer guys advice on rye beers. I was most certainly not dissappointed. This beer is awesome. Big and beautiful in all the best ways. A fitting tribute to the comedian it commemorates. The beer begins with a gorgeous deep mahogany color and a generous off white head that lasts well longer than most. The aromas are earthy; rye, bread, spice, and a little citrus n pine. The flavors follow suit. Complex and rich. A lot of malt, a lot of rye, a generous dose of hops, and a ton of bitterness. This is not a subtle beer. Even the bite of the abv comes through in an unsubtle but balanced way. This is a beer for those that like their flavors bold and in your face (again much like the comedian it is dedicated to). If you get a chance pick this up, but don't plan on drinking more than two or so, it hits the mouth, tongue, body, and brain like a sledgehammer. A very very enjoyable sledgehammer.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Picked this up while in Spokane, WA.

Pours a dark amber with a quarter inch off-white head, that fades slowly to a nice cap considering the head wasn't that large. The lacing was very thick, completely covering the interior of m glass.

Smell; very nice hoppy aroma, with citrus and a hint of pine. The rye lends a nice spiciness to the aroma, and there's some sweet malts present as well. I'm really digging the aroma of this beer.

Taste; the hops are definitely present with citrus and the hints of pine tree, but the rye really stands out to me. I'm glad to, because that's the main reason that I purchased the bottle. I've become a big fan of rye beers, and wish other breweries would give rye a chance. There's a very good mildly sweet presence that just seems to accentuate the rye flavors in this beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability; the mouthfeel is full bodied and very smooth, and despite the bitterness, this beer is disappearing rapidly.

I had never heard of this beer when I purchased it, so I only bought the one bottle. Now I wish I could go back just to buy a case of it. One of the better beers that I've had recently.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: beautiful white head, absolutely incredible head retention, the best I've ever seen. It must be the rye. Body is a clear ruddy color.

Smell: inverted from the other he'brew beers, where sweet malt is dominant - this one has a very strong spicy hops character, with the malt playing a supporting role. Somewhat bready.

Taste: spicy hop bite up front, which gives way to sweet malt. Alcohol fairly well-hidden, I thought. Not my favorite of the he'brew line, I have to say. Drinking this beer is like a kick in the head, it's very strongly flavored.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy mouthfeel, dry acidic finish that aids drinkability a little, but the aftertaste lingers.

Drinkability: I drank this one slower than the others. I enjoyed it, but I won't be seeking this one out again.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%