He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros
teamwiggum

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

12-19-2013 05:10:43 | More by teamwiggum
minterro

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

I'll preface my 100th rating with this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIp3rubYr0c

In my pursuit to find the perfect beer for my 100th rating I found myself at Odaes Big Ten Store in Lansing, MI. And this beer was suggested by the stoner cashier. Very humorous label example: “contains explicit adult material”. Along with the funnies the label contains a quote from our beloved beer advocate. I was originally going to rate Cream Brulee for my 100th but, this beer was calling to me. Not only is this beer a better representative of “my kind of beer” but its also 10.0% abv.

A & S: not super powerful scent but it’s a mix of floral and piney hops. With hints of alcohol, with a faint bready smell. The beer pours with a thick, fizzy, tan head. Leaves a lagging lacing, where that falls back into the beer after a few seconds. The beer is a classic IPA copper colored beer.

T & M: very warming feeling while drinking it. Powerful but not super hoppy. Huge malty background, with hints of rye (I was expecting a bit more) and citrus. The 10% is present but, not overpowering. I was expecting more of a hop bomb, but its was still very pleasant to drink like a dogfish head 90. Unlike dogfish head its quite pleasantly bitter and maybe a bit winey in the finish. Smooth but, crisp beer, with a full body (when warmed), medium to low carbonation.

O: I can’t complain as far as beers go. I’m wondering if the 'Cream Brulee' would have been a better pick, but I’m certainly not disappointed.

Anyways, while i was rating this beer I was looking back and thinking about the amount of time I spend rating beer. It probably takes me between 30 mins to an hour to rate a beer, thats like 75 hours I've spend rating beers, thats like over 3 days. At first I was like this is a huge waste of time, but then I really couldnt think of what i rather be doing. SO CHEERS! LONG LIVE BEER ADVOCATE!

09-29-2011 04:47:35 | More by minterro
kemoarps

Washington

12-02-2012 07:28:24 | More by kemoarps
Dave1999

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a dark red, semi transparent with a small off white head.

The smell is really malty,sweet and strong. There are dark fruits, plums and rasins, smells great.

The taste is bitter and sweet, malty, dark fruits, very strong. There is a bitter hop precence but it is secondary to the malty dark fruit flavours. The hops are piney.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation.

Overall this drinks like a red ale, reminds me of bear republics red rocket ale which I really like. The obvious difference is the high alcohol content. This is a dark fruit bomb and I do enjoy it but it doesn't taste like what I'd expect from a dipa.

08-04-2013 18:21:50 | More by Dave1999
Marco_Gtz

06-30-2014 17:12:32 | More by Marco_Gtz
Bfarr

Washington

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Dark copper with a moderate tan frothy head with great retention. Spicy sweet and rich malty bread aromas. Rich rye malt sweetness followed by a solid earthy spice hop finish with a light to moderate lingering. Thick chewy feel.

This is like a liquid piece of rye bread with strong hops playing with it. A big beautiful malty beer and I just love all the flavors in it. I would love the opportunity to try this at various stages.

07-27-2012 00:19:48 | More by Bfarr
acevenom

Louisiana

Poured into a pint glass. Pours clear, dark reddish copper with a tall biege head. The head retains well, dissipating slowly and leaving abundant lacing on the side of the glass. There are strong aromas of sweet roasted malts, rye spiciness, and citrusy and floral hops. It smells earthy. It's such an inviting smell. The flavors up front reflect the big malt presence of this beer, which is sweet and bready. There is that rye spiciness and the hop bitterness that hits on the back end. There are some citrus flavors as well. The alcohol is masked very well in the taste. The body is full and the mouthfeel is creamy. There isn't much carbonation. This is also easy to gulp for such a big ABV beer. Overall, this is an excellent and unique DIPA that I would recommend.

04-30-2012 21:23:51 | More by acevenom

kirkse

04-22-2012 16:51:13 | More by kirkse
matty

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Cloudy amber colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is hoppy and caramel malts.Taste is hops,caramel malts and sugar cane.I am usually not a fan of hoppy beers but this is mixed just right and is not dominated by the hops.I would recommend to try at least once and I can see myself buying this again.

03-01-2010 14:06:59 | More by matty
JLapadura

4.75/5  rDev +17%

07-20-2012 00:16:30 | More by JLapadura
ArtZan

02-14-2014 20:35:01 | More by ArtZan
mooseisloose

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

If Schlitz is Schlitz, this is Schmaltz. This is a bomber that appeared albeit at a great price at the local beer supply joint, so I decided to give it a whirl. It is a brew among brews, let me tell you, my friends. The bottle smell is malt and lots of it. This is a brew that for the style - reinvents- Obscene is completely correct. This is a beer for worldwide lovers of beer. This may not be a tripel, its more ,with the hopping its a dirty quadruple! At least he migrated to see the US of A!

09-20-2009 22:58:42 | More by mooseisloose
DoctorDog

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Presentation: From a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic.

A- Pours a deep amber/copper and clear. Pours with ~2 fingers of tan head, which fades slowly to a thin cap. Plenty of sticky lacing.

S- A bit of piney hops, then a surprisingly sugary sweet, caramel malt aroma takes over.

T- Spicy/peppery, grapefruit hop bitterness. Caramel maltiness, hints of dark fruits, and a solidly candy sweet finish. Slight touch of alcohol.

M- Moderate carbonation and a medium full feel.

O- Very good. Easy drinking for it's heft, and an overall pleaser.

Future outlook: This one is worthy of trying again. Seems like I'm enjoying the RIPA's that I've tried...time to find some more.

05-07-2011 02:21:40 | More by DoctorDog
DenverHopHead

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a bottle born on July 2013 into a tulip.
Appearance - red, somewhat cloudy, but plenty of bubbles detected along the side of the glass. Huge, mountainous beige head! Lacing sheets the glass!
Smell - sweet candy, some citrus and floral hops, fresh bread-like malts. Lingering hop resin!
Taste - big time flavor, well balanced with hop bitterness, slight hint of warming alcohol and rye bread! Very easy to drink at 10% ABV!
Feel - complex brew with an excellent blend of hops, rye malts, and a hint of alcohol.
Overall - shocked! I was expecting a very good beer, but this is outstanding! I'd like to try this along side Lagunitas' Sucks, as they are very similar, but from opposite coasts!

09-26-2013 01:14:52 | More by DenverHopHead
biggmike

Mississippi

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

Had this one on-tap as the guest tap at the Abita Brew Pub in Abita Springs, LA. Poured a dark mahogany with a thick off-white head that lasted a long while. Taste was very well-balanced between the malty sweetness and the piney, citrusy hops. The mouthfeel was thick and chewy. This was a great beer that I would definitely purchase again.

04-22-2010 23:40:44 | More by biggmike
SurlyDuff

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

22oz bottle.

A really nice clear brick/terracotta color with a thin tan head that dissolves quickly to lacing.

Bitter and spicy malty and hoppy aroma. Lemony.

Taste is of a strong IPA. it's got some real nice sticky resin qualities, but there's a layer of malt holding the whole thing upright. Caramel flavored malt to be precise. Some balreywine/dark fruit/alcohol waves in there too, especially on larger drinks.

Warm alcohol bite with a tremendous full body. Great mouthfeel.

Drinkability is great. Really smooth, despite a bitter hoppy twang.

03-25-2008 02:19:57 | More by SurlyDuff
JEdmund

Kansas

2.68/5  rDev -34%

Appearance
Dark for an IPA, like iced tea; minimum head that drops fast

Smell
Very little smell, but I detect candied fruit and caramelized sugar, but very little hops

Taste & Mouthfeel
Flavor is full, but it has no real character or pronounced hoppiness; thick, oily mouth feel which is quite nice; it's hard to think of this as even a form of an IPA; it's more like an old ale/strong ale/ barley wine--it's really syrupy sweet and artificially fruit-flavored

Overall
It's just a bit too much sweetness for me. The really heavy body in addition to the sugars makes the drinkability of this suffer. Now if I wanted a sippin'/dessert beer, this would work, but only in a small quantity.

08-11-2008 20:20:30 | More by JEdmund

02-27-2013 00:15:07 | More by CB2maltygoodness
djeucalyptus

Oregon

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

pours a viscous, glowing dark orange-caramel with a solid two-finger butter colored head of fine foam that has better retention than I've seen in a while. fades to a decent cap that deposits the expectedly resinous, webby lace down the glass.

aroma is enticingly intoxicating. caramel and malt up front, followed by floral, citrusy and tropical hop notes. some definite alcohol esters in the nose. smells like burning. and toasted caramel.

taste follows, with a rich, caramel, earthy backbone. the hops and the booze kind of blast the palette, obliterating the sweetness that my tongue knew was there for a split-second. resinous and boozy. like a pine tree soaked in everclear. with a touch of malt to hold it together.

mouth is luscious and vibrant. full bodied with ample soft carbonation that yields a creamy, surprisingly palatable texture despite the thick, almost syrupy front. lingering bitterness is clean, but potent.

all in all, not sure how I feel about this one. which is how i feel after every time i've tried it to date. I really want this to be great.. but just doesn't quite come together for me. a bit too much intensity on a few too many levels. kicking every slider up to 11 doesn't necessarily make the music better.

09-16-2011 08:14:16 | More by djeucalyptus