Join our email list →

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 10.00% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros
Reviews: 883 | Hads: 1,934
4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

Although this beer has been in our province for a couple years now it is a night of boredom and cold weather that causes me to rate this now. Big toasty, malty and peppery, this hop bomb is highly drinkable (well let me correct that one bottle at a time is highly drinkable), it tends to get a little thick if bottle after bottle is consumed. Cases of this have gone through the house not the first DIPA I would reach for but a enjoyable pint I will revisit time and time again.

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into my Terrapin pint glass.

Appearance: Rich, hazy copper color with a three-finger brownish-white head. (The bottle had gotten a little shaken up the night before opening, which I think accounts for that insanely thick head, at least partially.) The color and head are good enough, but the haziness pushes it right up there to 'exceptional'. Not to mention the generous lacing.

Smell: Rye and hops. I can't wait to try it!

Taste: Wow! This is the best IPA I've had in quite some time, and I've had some good ones in the last few months. Whoever first thought of mixing rye and hops was a hero to the human race, and it seems that Schmaltz Brewing Company agrees, because they've taken that idea and made a masterpiece of it. Seriously. This tastes a lot like a Terrapin Rye Pale Ale, but stronger, and just... bigger. And better. And I love Terrapin Rye Pale Ale, too. First you get those rye malts on the front of the tongue, then it gradually gives way to bitter hops as it goes back. I'm having a hard time describing this because it's so overwhelmingly great.

Mouthfeel: Rather full-bodied and creamy, actually. Very, very good.

Drinkability: I could drink these all day! Enough said.

Get this.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Pours a very dark & cloudy mahogany with a two finger head that lingers. Almost resembles iced tea.

Very spicy aroma with bitterness behind that, but just barely. I thought the hops would be more present but it's still pleasant.

Much sweeter than I had anticipated. The sweetness lingers for a few seconds mixed with traces of the rye spice that's followed by hints of bitterness that quickly fades with an alcohol warmth. The 10% is just faintly present but the malt sweetness is the most prominent while not being cloy. Very easy to drink. I just wish the hops were more present to lend a bit more balance.

Good carbonation and very thick, almost chewy. Really covers the tongue.

This is one of the best IIPA's I've had. There's no "freshness" date on the bottle so I'm not sure how long it was on the shelves before I got to it. That may explain the lack of hops but it's still a beer that's easy to enjoy. Think it's time for another.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

A- Clear amber with a 1 finger cream colored head.

S- Citrusy & malty

T- Very sweet malts, Citrus tang, Hoppy bitter.

M- Smooth & thick

O- A very malty IPA. Thicker than traditional IPA's. I enjoyed it but it's not what i imagine when i think IPA. Well made though.

Might Drink
Wouldn't Buy
Wouldn't Make

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours translucent amber with a solid white head. Aroma is a ncie blend of hops and malt. Rye spicyness also makes itself known in the nose. Very balanced aroma. Tastes fantastic. Starts with nice bready maltiness followed by plenty of hops. Not particularly bitter, but the hops are certainly there. Maybe not as much as youd expect from a IIPA, but thats mostly because the rye malt bill is no slouch. The feel is very very creamy, almost chewy, with a nice astringency in the finish. Alcohol is high, yet unnoticeable. Really a great brew. Somewhat reminiscent of ST Unearthly.

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Beautiful deep chestnut brown.
S- Nice malty smell.
T- Taste is very malty with the rye noticeable.
Finish - a bit of hoppy not as much as many IPAs - a bit alcoholy.
Mouthfeel - substantial, nicely carbed.
Drinkability - a bit strong at 10%, but very enjoyable to enjoy slowly.

Currently one of my favorites - really like the rye malt - a little less boozey would probably make it my first choice. I get one of these (22 oz) bottle with a nicely marbled and/or seasoned steak.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Lovely deep, complex amber, tending toward a surprising burgundy hue. Minimal head. The smell is disappointingly faint but pleasant, and, again, surprising: a cinnamon-roll yeastiness, more confectionary than hoppy. A stand-up, robust, uncommon flavor, not identifiable as an IPA (at least to my still-developing palate); comparable to the best red ales. Mouthfeel is a fine foamy prickliness. An attractive brew, its allure growing as it warms.

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a nice golden hue, malty aroma with faint hop floral elements. The taste and drinkability are surprising for a 10% ABV beer. Very good balance between sweet and bitter with a full-bodied (but not cloying) mouthfeel and an excellent roasted / rye complexity in both flavor and aftertaste. I only bought one of these, but wished I'd had another after finishing it.

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

Had this on cask at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta and wow was it a great treat.

The appearance was an amber brown with a half inch head which hung around.

The smell was dark fruit with roasted malt.

The taste was a balanced malt/hop.

The mouthfeel was medium.

Overall really enjoyed this brew. I've had it in the bottle and really enjoyed it and having it on cask was exceptionally enjoyable. Got to try it again on cask.

3.77/5  rDev -6.7%

Had on-tap at WOB, poured into a snifter

A-Dark orange-red, a thin dark head that left decent lacing

S-Hops, malt, spice, and alcohol, exactly what I'm looking for in a big DIPA

T-Hops, yeast and some grapefruit flavoring are the first to hit my tongue, the light malty taste comes immediately after and its chased by a strong but not overly powerful or repulsive alcohol flavor.

M-A full bodied beer, but something was lacking, a little too light on the carbonation made it feel a bit slick sliding down the throat, it really didn't detract from the beer at all though

O-In all this is an excellent beer bursting with a complex flavor profile, rich nose and beautiful look. I would definitely pick up a bottle.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

from memory:

22 oz. to snifter.

Lenny's pours a gorgeous blood-orange red with a creamy, sticky head and thin lacing. Nose is well hopped with spicy rye, caramel malts, and slight booze. Taste, while still coldish, is amazing - juicy would be the first word to come to mind, and the rye mixes well with the sweet malts to make a flavour which reminds me of dense, german cakes. it looses a few points here as it warms up and the sugars take over, reducing much of the taste to a sort of boozy hard-candy - the kind of taste i can't abide in the DFH 90 and 120 minutes. however, this sad turn of events is saved by the ever-present rye spiciness and smooth, slow drain of a bitter finish. mouthfeel is amazing, not too thick, and coats the tongue and cheeks.

a fine and drinkable beer, if not a bit strong and a bit sweet.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

The color on this beer is a little bit dark for a DIPA, but it's nice. It's a solid copper-red. A surprisingly big malty, caramel and sweet candy smell with an equal amount of citrus hops.

Taste is definitely complex. You've got some serious caramel malt, a bit of citrus hops, a lot of pine and woody hops, and a sweet, candy finish matched with an alcohol burn.

Drinkability is decent. You can definitely tell it's 10%, but damn this is a good beer. I'd almost think of this as something in an American Strong style than a DIPA. It's definitely hoppy, but well balanced enough to please non-hop heads.

4.36/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Amber orange, very clear with tons of bubbles screaming up from the bottom of the glass. Thick, creamy tan head shows excellent retention. Beautiful lacing. Nothing wrong here!

S: Sweet toffee and toasted caramel malts. Some brown sugar in there as well. Lots of lovely, spicy hop notes as well as spice from the rye. A little whiff of alcohol. This is definitely a malt-forward DIPA.

T: There's the hops! Great initial kick from some very spicy herbal and citrus hops with a solid bitterness, followed immediately by a full, round malt profile - caramel and toffee. Finishes smooth and nicely balanced with a lingering bitterness. This is fantastic.

M: Full, smooth, somewhat creamy and chewy. Perfect carbonation (on the medium-low side.) Very nice.

O: A very solid Rye IPA, and the first Rye DIPA I've had. Did a side-by-side with this and Founders Red's Rye, and while I admit I prefer the Red's Rye, this is right up there with my favorite Rye beers. A joy to sip!

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A - A hazy orange/rust color with white head and lace.

S - A lot of alcohol and rye. In addition there is some sour/dark fruit aromas and hints of caramel.

T - The initial flavor that hits you is bitterness. The bitterness transitions into rye flavor and then into prunes and oranges. A little bit of Caramel/toffee finishes it up. After the sip, the bitterness still lingers.

M - Nice round, thick body with medium carbonation. This beer feels really good on the tongue.

O - Really solid brew. For the abv, this is fairly drinkable. The beer was enjoyable the whole way through and I would definitely drink it again. The rye aroma and flavor really add something to make this and tasty brew.

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

I had been excited to try this beer for some time. Had in on my wants but no hits. How glad was I when my local bottle shop got a case.

Pours a deep amber/bronze with a nice think head. The color doesn't even appear to be from the rye, but just a deep, malty brew.

Smell is malt forward, with a good kick of hops. The taste backs it up, but a double IPA it is not. I've had a lot of east coast DIPA's and 9 out of 10 are more barley wines in my opinion. This is no exception. The rye gives it a nice spice to balance out the pine flavored hops. I've been on a rye beer kick lately and this was no let down.

All in all, a great freaking beer. It taste more like a Bigfoot with rye than any double IPA. But screw guidelines and labels, if a beer is good, a beer is good. And this is a great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Dark amber with a big light tan head. Lots of lacing.

Aroma of grapefruit, apricots, toasted malt and slight pine.

Tastes of toasted rye malt up front then a big punch of resinous hops that are met with plenty of caramel malts.

This is a well balanced beer which is amazing considering the evident hops. The rye gives it a nice touch. Nice drinking beer.

4.02/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first Shmaltz brew, and it was a good choice.

Nice, deep ruby color with a good head that laces well.

Smell is spicy malt - very aromatic.

Taste is rye up front with an immediate bitter hop bite that mellows with warming alcohol and peppery spice.

Rye malt and hops are very plentiful. Alcohol is noticeable and very present, but not overpowering.

A great tribute beer, and somewhat unique in that it adds the rye to a style that is becoming fairly prevalent. Highly recommended.

3.84/5  rDev -5%

Dark amber with ruby highlights. Head is fizzy and small. It dissipates quickly and leaves small traces of lacing.

Smell is mostly malts, caramel and dried fruit, with some orangey, herbaly hops kicking around in there. Just a little booziness, especially as it warms.

Taste starts out relatively hop forward. Same hops as in the smell, herbal, bitter, orange. As the beer warms, the malts take center stage. Lots of malty sweetness, caramel, toffee. Just a touch of rye spiciness hangs around throughout the drinking experience.

It all comes together really well. In my opinion, reminiscent of DFH 90 min, with an added layer of spice from the rye.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

I was at a beer tasting with a rep from this brewery last night, and of all the beers we tried, this was my favorite. So much so, I bought a bottle home with me to do a rating.
Its a very balenced IPA. Has a lot of hops, but has a balenced caramel maltyness that was very appealing for me. Not a hop bomb, but enough to satisfy a hop craving once and a while. A very drinkable beer. I love it.

4.14/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Crystal clear copper red with a one-finger creamy off-white head. Some hop oil up top and some decent lace.

Smell- Highly complex and very well rounded. A light fruity hop with sweet candy and estery malts. Caramel, honey, popcorn butter, biscuits, and subtle satayed vegetables with hints of lemon juice and black pepper. Fresh cherry blossoms and spices complement the candy backbone well. Very nice.

Taste- Buttery and bitter. The butter diacetyl is heavy and somewhat cloyingly so, but it's balanced well enough by the bitterness. The malt is otherwise enjoyable, with loads of fruity esters- cherries, plums, watermellon- along with a roasted nuttyness and some syrupy molasses. The bitter backbone is of rich high-alpha hop varieties, creating a deep, woodsy pine with subtle hints of grapefruit and a definite rye bread aftertaste.

All in all an extremely complex and moderately well-rounded brew. The only thing I don't like is the overdone diacetyl malt, which adds to an oily mouthfeel. Other than that, it's highly drinkable.

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured the brew from a 22oz bomber into a Sam Adams tasting glass. It's a dark burnt-orange brown with a very thin head that tight, but fading fast -- not really what I like to see. The smell definitely has some citrus including heavy amounts of grapefruit, but also a malty (caramel?) character. After the first sip I'm a little surprised by the thick, syrupy consistency of the body and the medium-high level of carbonation. As soon as I got over that though I was able to enjoy the BOMB of hop flavor, though not of the same citrus quality I expected from its smell.

Still, if by "obscenely hopped" they mean "amazingly delicious" than I'd say the description is pretty accurate. While there is definitely a hefty hop presence in the initial sip, I think it's surprisingly well balanced; after a swish or two there is even a discernable malty sweetness to the flavor. The aftertaste definitely summons back its bitter roots, however, leaving a piney aftertaste.

Although I haven't had enough to have the alcohol become an issue, I think it's a little hefty to have more than just a (very, very enjoyable) bomber.

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

Got this one as a gift from my roomie and I poured it from a bomber into a good sized wine glass. I really need to get a chalice or snifter of some sort. Chalice is an awesome word.

A nice deep orange, copper caramel hue with a good head just sitting there nice and proud and beige tempting me to drink. Dissipates slowly leaving a good lacing.

Smells mostly of molasses and toffee and caramel malt, and the rye is also prominent with some light hoppiness.

Taste is all over the place and really good. First comes the sweet; malt and sticky caramel with hints of dark fruits, mostly dates. Then comes the spicy and bitter; ginger and some citrus pine hops towards the end, with a molasses backbone. Dare I say sweetbittersweet.

Carbonation is mild and nice, with the rye sticking with you on every sip. Goes down pretty easy for the alcohol content. It warms you up and could definitely make you start talking dirty if you're not careful.

2.55/5  rDev -36.9%

I love DIPA's, but this one did not suite me at all. The taste was not well balanced and the bitterness I usually enjoy in DIPA's available here:Great Divide Titan DIPA, Boulevard Double Wide Pale Ale,etc, was not pleasant. Maybe it's just a different interpretation than I'm used to, but it's not for me. It could be a good ale if balance was improved.

3.29/5  rDev -18.6%

A: Deep brown, with hints of orange-red. A decent amount of foam that fades to a thin ring.

S: Rye bread soaked in alcohol. Subtle notes of sweet fruit and floral hops.

T: Lots of alcohol up front, which lasts the entire time. The citrusy hops are there and are quite enjoyable, but they are thrown off by alcohol. The rye is noticeable, but buried deep.

MF: Lots of carbonation, maybe a bit too much. Dry alcohol finish that I didn’t care for.

D: It took a while to get through the 22 ounces, but I did finish the bottle. Worth trying, but I would probably consider this to be the manishevitz of DIPAs.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Brilliantly clear burgundy body with some red hue to it. Pours a moderate sized light khaki head which is long lasting. The beer itself appears to be a touch over-carbonated.

S - Sweet smelling upfront. Get some toffee and caramel and brown sugar. Some pepper notes add a nice spice aroma to the profile.

T - Very malty and properly bitter at the same time. A great balance in the beginning of this beer. Crystal malts and even some baked goods are distinguishable up front. The bitter is nice and clean and helps cut through the initial maltiness. I think the finish is cloyingly sweet though and wish it didn't finish as so.

M - Medium-heavy body, carbonation is fine, only slight alcohol burn.

O - A pretty good beer, reminiscent of the DFH90 minute if you can believe that. Definitely not picking up the rye in this beer which is a shame, but it's still drinkable obviously.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company