He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Ruby red, light brown color. Very slightly head, extremely light lacing. Low carbonation, just looks like a massive hop bomb.

Smell: A ton of saturated hop character with some lighter then expected rye accents. The hops just dominate with accents of prairie grass, straw, bitter pine, pinecones, and resin. Despite all the hops, excellent malt backbone which really brings this aroma full circle.

Taste: A front full of pine, bitter resin, maple syrup, and straw. The body yields to a strong malty sweetness with a perfect amount of hop accents. The finish is a palate punishing dryness with plenty of hop and malt brightness. Waves of complex flavor keeping flowing over the tongue, never letting up.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, palate punishing awesomeness with a wonderful malt body.

Overall: This beer is a hop bomb with so much more going on then just punishing hops. The palate is taken for a true ride and this comes out to be a truly memorable beer.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a nice dark amber color with a thick light tan head. Copius amount of lacing left behind. Nice.

Smells good, too. Spicy citrus hops, bready malts, alcohol, raisins, caramel and rye. ABV is 10% and it smells that way...but it's not overpowering at all.

The taste is stronger on the alcohol than the hops and it should be the other way, imho. Sweet malts are also a lot more dominant than I would have thought. But that is a good thing. It all blends together pretty decently.

Mouthfeel is a dry, medium body with a good bitter punch in the aftertaste. You start to feel the abv before you finish the whole 22oz...atleast I am. And as it warms that pesky alcohol gets stronger....and that doesn't help.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Picked this up while in Spokane, WA.

Pours a dark amber with a quarter inch off-white head, that fades slowly to a nice cap considering the head wasn't that large. The lacing was very thick, completely covering the interior of m glass.

Smell; very nice hoppy aroma, with citrus and a hint of pine. The rye lends a nice spiciness to the aroma, and there's some sweet malts present as well. I'm really digging the aroma of this beer.

Taste; the hops are definitely present with citrus and the hints of pine tree, but the rye really stands out to me. I'm glad to, because that's the main reason that I purchased the bottle. I've become a big fan of rye beers, and wish other breweries would give rye a chance. There's a very good mildly sweet presence that just seems to accentuate the rye flavors in this beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability; the mouthfeel is full bodied and very smooth, and despite the bitterness, this beer is disappearing rapidly.

I had never heard of this beer when I purchased it, so I only bought the one bottle. Now I wish I could go back just to buy a case of it. One of the better beers that I've had recently.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

I'll preface my 100th rating with this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIp3rubYr0c

In my pursuit to find the perfect beer for my 100th rating I found myself at Odaes Big Ten Store in Lansing, MI. And this beer was suggested by the stoner cashier. Very humorous label example: “contains explicit adult material”. Along with the funnies the label contains a quote from our beloved beer advocate. I was originally going to rate Cream Brulee for my 100th but, this beer was calling to me. Not only is this beer a better representative of “my kind of beer” but its also 10.0% abv.

A & S: not super powerful scent but it’s a mix of floral and piney hops. With hints of alcohol, with a faint bready smell. The beer pours with a thick, fizzy, tan head. Leaves a lagging lacing, where that falls back into the beer after a few seconds. The beer is a classic IPA copper colored beer.

T & M: very warming feeling while drinking it. Powerful but not super hoppy. Huge malty background, with hints of rye (I was expecting a bit more) and citrus. The 10% is present but, not overpowering. I was expecting more of a hop bomb, but its was still very pleasant to drink like a dogfish head 90. Unlike dogfish head its quite pleasantly bitter and maybe a bit winey in the finish. Smooth but, crisp beer, with a full body (when warmed), medium to low carbonation.

O: I can’t complain as far as beers go. I’m wondering if the 'Cream Brulee' would have been a better pick, but I’m certainly not disappointed.

Anyways, while i was rating this beer I was looking back and thinking about the amount of time I spend rating beer. It probably takes me between 30 mins to an hour to rate a beer, thats like 75 hours I've spend rating beers, thats like over 3 days. At first I was like this is a huge waste of time, but then I really couldnt think of what i rather be doing. SO CHEERS! LONG LIVE BEER ADVOCATE!

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass

A - Cloudy red burgundy body; 1 finger cream foam formed after pour and withered away pretty quickly; good lacing formed on the side of the glass

S - Crisp fruity berry scent followed by flowery aroma; hops are hidden at first but come alive along with a pinch of the alcohol (due to high ABV) after a deep whiff; bit a nuttiness

T - Crisp, refreshing and smooth fruit malt taste with a solid hop bitter finish and deep aftertaste; taste like it smells; sweet caramel taste; some biscuit

M - Solid creamy consistency; mild carbonation rolls over the tongue; beer is well-built with a superb balance of hop & malt tones

D - Overall a solid drink; definitely a quality beer and crafted with the right balance of ingredients that are not to strong even with a high ABV. I would recommend to others.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber in to a goblet.

Pours a deep amber with a light tan quickly thinning head.

Big hoppy smell of grapefruit on top of a sweet malt and I think rye.

First is a sweet citrusy, oily hop tste, then the finish is clean bitter. A malty sweet is sandwiched in the middle.

Maybe a little thin mouthfeel, but a nice drinking beer for the size of it.

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Deep amber body, clear and free of any haze. Heavy four finger white head perched atop with very impressive retention. The glass is left coated with lacing.

The bottle states Lenny's was "brewed with an obscene amount of malts and hop" This definitely is coming through in the nose. First the good. Bright citrusy scents spill out of the glass. The hop selection is awesome, I love rye beers that balance the astringency with a nice citric bite. Now the bad, there is a lot of malt and not all good. Lightly toasted malt provides a pleasant base though I begin to worry by the amount of caramel I am smelling. Getting a bit to happy with caramel malt has killed many good IPA/DIPA's.

I tried to keep an open mind but my concerns were only justified. Bittersweet Lenny should just go by Sweet Lenny. The cloying caramel malt in combination with the fruitiness of hops makes for an entirely too sweet beer. The nice bit from the rye I so looked forward to is nonexistent. If only the percentage of crystal malt was cut down this would be one damn good beer.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The overwhelming sweetness coats the tongue making for an inappropriately long finish.

It is sad that one ingredient can ruin a beer with so much promise. Lenny is just far too sweet to enjoy.

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pour is murky, with visible chunks of sediment floating around. There is two fingers of billowy foam that stands firm on top of the beer. Didn't realize this was bottle conditioned... had it on its side. I don't see anywhere on the label that mentions bottle conditioning. Sorry, loses some points on appearance for that.

Aroma is pungent, full of grassy, earthy hops and a touch of oxidation on the nose and some crystal malt sweetness. First sip is a hoppy assault on my palate. Full bodied, there is a also a lot of malt backbone to round this one out. I don't detect any spicy rye flavors. Bitterness is sharp, but not lingering.

This is certainly an extreme beer. Mixture of hop flavors is not my favorite, but there are so many other flavors going on that I can focus on something different each sip. Earthy, plum, toffee, grassy. This is a interesting DIPA - borders on Barleywine with the malt backbone.

Either way, pretty good but not great. Drinkability suffers a bit due to the high ABV and sharp bitterness.

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a New Belgium Globe Glass.

Pours a wonderfully clear deep ruby-copper hue with a fat three-fingered head of beige foam that fades away slowly, showing superb retention as it settles at a thick, creamy cap. As the glass drains, thick lacing rings the walls of the glass.

The aroma is nicely hoppy, with a floral, fruity and citrusy bouquet. Some sweet caramelesque malty notes show through as well. Pleasantly inviting.

Full-bodied and moderately carbonated with a balanced mouthfeel. Sweet malt opens things up on the palate; spicy notes from the rye malt are easily discernible but meld effortlessly into the middle with a bracingly bitter hoppiness that tears away at the tastebuds, obliterating things before falling away into a bittersweet finish, somewhat dry and mildly fruity-sweet.

A fairly well-balanced Double IPA with an interesting hint of rye infused; decently drinkable with a well-hidden 10% ABV and a wonderful mix of flavors. A top-notch example of the style, definitely worth revisiting.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Nice amber color, just a touch cloudy. The tan head is thin but strong. Lacing is minimal.

Oh my this beer smells big...I'm getting crazy hops and big sweet malt even on the pour. A closer inspection reveals a great spicy hop aroma, some nice balance with sweet malty backbone. This comes off together like some sort of sweet rum soaked spice cake or something. Nice.

The taset also has a big hop spice upfront, some pine notes in this but it's so well balanced with an earthy malt flavor...definitely not hop-forward even though that's the first thing you taste. I love the balance of this huge DIPA. A nice alcohol burn combined with a dryness perhaps from the rye (not too familiar with rye in beers) lead me through the middle and then it finishes big and bitter and beautiful.

Big bodied and bold flavored, yest smooth and warming. There's not much about this beer that I don't like. IMO it can hold it's own against any DIPA.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company