He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
No picture uploaded.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,838 | Reviews: 870

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: beautiful white head, absolutely incredible head retention, the best I've ever seen. It must be the rye. Body is a clear ruddy color.

Smell: inverted from the other he'brew beers, where sweet malt is dominant - this one has a very strong spicy hops character, with the malt playing a supporting role. Somewhat bready.

Taste: spicy hop bite up front, which gives way to sweet malt. Alcohol fairly well-hidden, I thought. Not my favorite of the he'brew line, I have to say. Drinking this beer is like a kick in the head, it's very strongly flavored.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy mouthfeel, dry acidic finish that aids drinkability a little, but the aftertaste lingers.

Drinkability: I drank this one slower than the others. I enjoyed it, but I won't be seeking this one out again.

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Picked one of these up at Bauer's...
Dark mahogany in color with a full finger of bright white head...most fades, but leaves behind some attractive lacing.
Alcohol hits the nose first, along with some fruity hops, sweet caramelized malt and cherries.
Taste is also quite boozy...plenty of citrus hops and the sweetness hangs on in the aftertaste. The rye is apparent, but unfortunately, masked from the heat...still very bitter.
Luckily, the heat works its way into the brew halfway thru and is no longer a distraction.
Mouthfeel is thick and the carbonation is a tad high for me.
Easy enough to consume the bomber, but not moving on to another.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Served on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD into a goblet at the appropriate temperature (01/02/10).

A: Pours an oily and hazy golden brown capped with a small amount of off-white foam with some staying power producing some excellent lacing.

S: Interesting smell dominated by rye malt and some piney hops with a few citrus tones mixed in.

T: First of all this is only my second rye DIPA and I'm trying to get into this style, but I'm having some difficulties. Rye malt again dominated the palate along with grassy hops and a slight citrus coming in at the end. Some caramel sweetness in there as well, but the rye is the centerpiece here.

M: Really nice creamy mouthfeel and quite full-bodied. For me this was the highlight of this beer.

D: For me the rye is just not a flavor that I am terribly found of at this time and one goblet was just fine for me. the 10% abv. was also slightly present limiting this.

Overall this is a style that I am rather unfamiliar with and will take some time getting use to. However, this seems like a very well-crafted beer and I would assume rye lovers would be quite pleased. Worth a Look.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Ruby red, light brown color. Very slightly head, extremely light lacing. Low carbonation, just looks like a massive hop bomb.

Smell: A ton of saturated hop character with some lighter then expected rye accents. The hops just dominate with accents of prairie grass, straw, bitter pine, pinecones, and resin. Despite all the hops, excellent malt backbone which really brings this aroma full circle.

Taste: A front full of pine, bitter resin, maple syrup, and straw. The body yields to a strong malty sweetness with a perfect amount of hop accents. The finish is a palate punishing dryness with plenty of hop and malt brightness. Waves of complex flavor keeping flowing over the tongue, never letting up.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, palate punishing awesomeness with a wonderful malt body.

Overall: This beer is a hop bomb with so much more going on then just punishing hops. The palate is taken for a true ride and this comes out to be a truly memorable beer.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a nice dark amber color with a thick light tan head. Copius amount of lacing left behind. Nice.

Smells good, too. Spicy citrus hops, bready malts, alcohol, raisins, caramel and rye. ABV is 10% and it smells that way...but it's not overpowering at all.

The taste is stronger on the alcohol than the hops and it should be the other way, imho. Sweet malts are also a lot more dominant than I would have thought. But that is a good thing. It all blends together pretty decently.

Mouthfeel is a dry, medium body with a good bitter punch in the aftertaste. You start to feel the abv before you finish the whole 22oz...atleast I am. And as it warms that pesky alcohol gets stronger....and that doesn't help.

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass

A - Cloudy red burgundy body; 1 finger cream foam formed after pour and withered away pretty quickly; good lacing formed on the side of the glass

S - Crisp fruity berry scent followed by flowery aroma; hops are hidden at first but come alive along with a pinch of the alcohol (due to high ABV) after a deep whiff; bit a nuttiness

T - Crisp, refreshing and smooth fruit malt taste with a solid hop bitter finish and deep aftertaste; taste like it smells; sweet caramel taste; some biscuit

M - Solid creamy consistency; mild carbonation rolls over the tongue; beer is well-built with a superb balance of hop & malt tones

D - Overall a solid drink; definitely a quality beer and crafted with the right balance of ingredients that are not to strong even with a high ABV. I would recommend to others.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pour is murky, with visible chunks of sediment floating around. There is two fingers of billowy foam that stands firm on top of the beer. Didn't realize this was bottle conditioned... had it on its side. I don't see anywhere on the label that mentions bottle conditioning. Sorry, loses some points on appearance for that.

Aroma is pungent, full of grassy, earthy hops and a touch of oxidation on the nose and some crystal malt sweetness. First sip is a hoppy assault on my palate. Full bodied, there is a also a lot of malt backbone to round this one out. I don't detect any spicy rye flavors. Bitterness is sharp, but not lingering.

This is certainly an extreme beer. Mixture of hop flavors is not my favorite, but there are so many other flavors going on that I can focus on something different each sip. Earthy, plum, toffee, grassy. This is a interesting DIPA - borders on Barleywine with the malt backbone.

Either way, pretty good but not great. Drinkability suffers a bit due to the high ABV and sharp bitterness.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Picked this up while in Spokane, WA.

Pours a dark amber with a quarter inch off-white head, that fades slowly to a nice cap considering the head wasn't that large. The lacing was very thick, completely covering the interior of m glass.

Smell; very nice hoppy aroma, with citrus and a hint of pine. The rye lends a nice spiciness to the aroma, and there's some sweet malts present as well. I'm really digging the aroma of this beer.

Taste; the hops are definitely present with citrus and the hints of pine tree, but the rye really stands out to me. I'm glad to, because that's the main reason that I purchased the bottle. I've become a big fan of rye beers, and wish other breweries would give rye a chance. There's a very good mildly sweet presence that just seems to accentuate the rye flavors in this beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability; the mouthfeel is full bodied and very smooth, and despite the bitterness, this beer is disappearing rapidly.

I had never heard of this beer when I purchased it, so I only bought the one bottle. Now I wish I could go back just to buy a case of it. One of the better beers that I've had recently.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

I'll preface my 100th rating with this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIp3rubYr0c

In my pursuit to find the perfect beer for my 100th rating I found myself at Odaes Big Ten Store in Lansing, MI. And this beer was suggested by the stoner cashier. Very humorous label example: “contains explicit adult material”. Along with the funnies the label contains a quote from our beloved beer advocate. I was originally going to rate Cream Brulee for my 100th but, this beer was calling to me. Not only is this beer a better representative of “my kind of beer” but its also 10.0% abv.

A & S: not super powerful scent but it’s a mix of floral and piney hops. With hints of alcohol, with a faint bready smell. The beer pours with a thick, fizzy, tan head. Leaves a lagging lacing, where that falls back into the beer after a few seconds. The beer is a classic IPA copper colored beer.

T & M: very warming feeling while drinking it. Powerful but not super hoppy. Huge malty background, with hints of rye (I was expecting a bit more) and citrus. The 10% is present but, not overpowering. I was expecting more of a hop bomb, but its was still very pleasant to drink like a dogfish head 90. Unlike dogfish head its quite pleasantly bitter and maybe a bit winey in the finish. Smooth but, crisp beer, with a full body (when warmed), medium to low carbonation.

O: I can’t complain as far as beers go. I’m wondering if the 'Cream Brulee' would have been a better pick, but I’m certainly not disappointed.

Anyways, while i was rating this beer I was looking back and thinking about the amount of time I spend rating beer. It probably takes me between 30 mins to an hour to rate a beer, thats like 75 hours I've spend rating beers, thats like over 3 days. At first I was like this is a huge waste of time, but then I really couldnt think of what i rather be doing. SO CHEERS! LONG LIVE BEER ADVOCATE!

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company