He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer is a deep amber. There was a huge head. fair lacing covers the glass. The smell is deffinatly hoppy. One of the better IPA/DIPA I have had. The taste is very bitter. No doubt here that this is a hop bomb. This beer should satisfy any hophead. The mouthfeel is sticky and a lasting bitterness is present as well. The drinkability is good. Almost too good considering the ABV. That aspect of this beer is well hidden.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

poured from a bomber while sitting on a patio on Hilton head Island. Nice amber with a one finger head and left over lacing. Hazy slightly, but expected with all the residuals.
Big malty nose with a nice mix of piney citrus hops. Grassy a bit but nice.
Taste is huge...thick on the tongue with tons of sweetness. Well balanced with the tons of hops balancing nicely

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance: Pours out a syrupy looking deep burnt copper color with ruby highlights. Half a finger of off-white head forms very slowly. Retention is okay, lacing is decent.

Smell: Spicy rye malt is prevalent immediately, along with caramel and toffee. Also some piney and herbal hops on the back end. Very interesting smell. Not something I'm a huge fan of though.

Taste: See smell. This beer has a very spicy character from the rye along with caramel and toffee, and on the back end some hop character. Pretty intense. I see this is kind of a love it or hate it beer. I don't hate it, but its not something I would drink more than one glass of at a time.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Medium bodied with very low carbonation. A bit syrupy. Pretty solid in this category, but it could use a bit more carbonation. Overall, this is a unique beer but not something I would go out of my way to get again.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's RIPA pours a couple fingers of foam over a deep, cloudy amber brew. Carbonation is spritzy and active, and the nose is spicy and herbal. The flavor is malty and rich- sweet toasty malts , rye bread, molasses, all up balanced by sharp herbal and pine hop flavors.
Mouthfeel is extremely full and rich, but it would have to be to get this to 10% ABV, which incidentally, is only present as a sensation of well-being- so watch out, this one's a sipper! If you like your India Pale Ales malty, this one's for you!

4.83/5  rDev +19%

I picked this up at Whole Foods the other night. I spent a lot on beer that night. lol

Appearance- amber color, nice head, nice lacing, nice head retention

Smell- hops, pine, malts

Taste- spicy hops, malt

Mouthfeel- full bodied, dry, very well balanced

Drinkability- Excellent! I love it. It was pure heaven in my mouth.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

I bought Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. at the Foodery in Center City Philadelphia, Pa about six months ago and just poured into two pint glasses.
Appearance: Let's begin by saying the head was beautiful. The body was a translucent amber color toped with a huge head of gigantic bubbles, very soapy looking. The head produced tons of lacing after a wonderfully heald retention.
Smell: The smell produced what I thought was going to be a hop bomb, with hints (I mean very little) malted aromas.
Taste: As opposed to the smell, there was a solid backgroud of malts. I was not quite expecting this, and was a bit dissapointed (yes I have "hopped" on the hop band wagon). It was certainly well blended, but to be 100% honest, it reminded me on the Saranac High Peaks Series IPA.
Mouthfeel: The pour showed a very thick suripy (I know that's spelled wrong) mouthfeel. The actually mouthfeel wasn't much different, however the ridigity of a typical I.P.A. was still in tact.
Drinkability: Certinaly this was a great beer, not my faviorate from He'Brew, but considering all they make and how well they make them, that is saying a lot.
Don't drink and review.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Dark copper with a moderate tan frothy head with great retention. Spicy sweet and rich malty bread aromas. Rich rye malt sweetness followed by a solid earthy spice hop finish with a light to moderate lingering. Thick chewy feel.

This is like a liquid piece of rye bread with strong hops playing with it. A big beautiful malty beer and I just love all the flavors in it. I would love the opportunity to try this at various stages.

2.78/5  rDev -31.5%

A: Poured a thick bronze, with a tan head that lasted, but not an obvious carbonation presence.

S: Smelled syrupy sweet, with hints of grapefruit and tropical citrus, but also an unrefined spicy note.

T: Definitely found the grapefruit, tropical fruit, and even some apricot, but the sweetness was a little overpowering, and furthermore it dissipated into a harsh sour-spice that left a lingering aftertaste.

M: Syrupy, high alcohol presence on the tongue. Not very pleasant.

D: I found myself taking gulps, not because I eagerly wanted to consume another pint, but because I wanted to wash away the somewhat annoying aftertaste. If they could balance out the sour-spice and syrupy feel, it would certainly knock this beer up a few notches. Doesn't come close to the top-notch Dbl IPAs.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours dark copper to amber in color, clear, with a small creamy looking light tan head. Piney hops in the aroma, but also a small dose of citrusy hops mix with a sweet maltiness, like an orange flavored cotton candy, also a little apricot and coconut. Sweet maltiness in the taste with a hint of citrus again, followed up by a good sized dose of peppery and piney hops mixed with some alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is medium in body and pretty smooth and creamy, finishes with a small amount of dryness and a nice hop bite. Not bad although I'd like to see some more hop aroma and flavor coming through. The mouthfeel was quite nice though, very smooth up front with a smack in the face finish of bitterness and alcohol that kept me going til the end.

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up at Downtown Wine & Spirits along with a bottle of He'Brew Genesis 10:10. I served it in one of my Duvel Tulip glasses at around 45º F.

Appearance: Pours a brilliantly clear ruby with a fluffy beige head that's fed by a steady stream of bubbles from the etched 'D' at the bottom of my tulip. The head thins to a persistent half-inch layer, leaving thick lace.

Smell: The aroma is fairly subdued, with caramel malts and a light hoppiness. The caramel aromas really emerge upon swirling, along with hints of fruitiness.

Taste: The taste is similar to the aroma, but much stronger. There are fruity and caramel malts upfront, followed by a very strong tart bitterness with an alcoholic spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Thick and full-bodied, with low carbonation.

Drinkability: The high hops and high alcohol make this

Overall: A pretty good DIPA, malty and hoppy with a nice balance towards hops.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Cloudy amber colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is hoppy and caramel malts.Taste is hops,caramel malts and sugar cane.I am usually not a fan of hoppy beers but this is mixed just right and is not dominated by the hops.I would recommend to try at least once and I can see myself buying this again.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company