He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

I bought Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. at the Foodery in Center City Philadelphia, Pa about six months ago and just poured into two pint glasses.
Appearance: Let's begin by saying the head was beautiful. The body was a translucent amber color toped with a huge head of gigantic bubbles, very soapy looking. The head produced tons of lacing after a wonderfully heald retention.
Smell: The smell produced what I thought was going to be a hop bomb, with hints (I mean very little) malted aromas.
Taste: As opposed to the smell, there was a solid backgroud of malts. I was not quite expecting this, and was a bit dissapointed (yes I have "hopped" on the hop band wagon). It was certainly well blended, but to be 100% honest, it reminded me on the Saranac High Peaks Series IPA.
Mouthfeel: The pour showed a very thick suripy (I know that's spelled wrong) mouthfeel. The actually mouthfeel wasn't much different, however the ridigity of a typical I.P.A. was still in tact.
Drinkability: Certinaly this was a great beer, not my faviorate from He'Brew, but considering all they make and how well they make them, that is saying a lot.
Don't drink and review.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Dark copper with a moderate tan frothy head with great retention. Spicy sweet and rich malty bread aromas. Rich rye malt sweetness followed by a solid earthy spice hop finish with a light to moderate lingering. Thick chewy feel.

This is like a liquid piece of rye bread with strong hops playing with it. A big beautiful malty beer and I just love all the flavors in it. I would love the opportunity to try this at various stages.

2.78/5  rDev -31.5%

A: Poured a thick bronze, with a tan head that lasted, but not an obvious carbonation presence.

S: Smelled syrupy sweet, with hints of grapefruit and tropical citrus, but also an unrefined spicy note.

T: Definitely found the grapefruit, tropical fruit, and even some apricot, but the sweetness was a little overpowering, and furthermore it dissipated into a harsh sour-spice that left a lingering aftertaste.

M: Syrupy, high alcohol presence on the tongue. Not very pleasant.

D: I found myself taking gulps, not because I eagerly wanted to consume another pint, but because I wanted to wash away the somewhat annoying aftertaste. If they could balance out the sour-spice and syrupy feel, it would certainly knock this beer up a few notches. Doesn't come close to the top-notch Dbl IPAs.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Cloudy amber colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is hoppy and caramel malts.Taste is hops,caramel malts and sugar cane.I am usually not a fan of hoppy beers but this is mixed just right and is not dominated by the hops.I would recommend to try at least once and I can see myself buying this again.

3.51/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours dark copper to amber in color, clear, with a small creamy looking light tan head. Piney hops in the aroma, but also a small dose of citrusy hops mix with a sweet maltiness, like an orange flavored cotton candy, also a little apricot and coconut. Sweet maltiness in the taste with a hint of citrus again, followed up by a good sized dose of peppery and piney hops mixed with some alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is medium in body and pretty smooth and creamy, finishes with a small amount of dryness and a nice hop bite. Not bad although I'd like to see some more hop aroma and flavor coming through. The mouthfeel was quite nice though, very smooth up front with a smack in the face finish of bitterness and alcohol that kept me going til the end.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

3.66/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up at Downtown Wine & Spirits along with a bottle of He'Brew Genesis 10:10. I served it in one of my Duvel Tulip glasses at around 45º F.

Appearance: Pours a brilliantly clear ruby with a fluffy beige head that's fed by a steady stream of bubbles from the etched 'D' at the bottom of my tulip. The head thins to a persistent half-inch layer, leaving thick lace.

Smell: The aroma is fairly subdued, with caramel malts and a light hoppiness. The caramel aromas really emerge upon swirling, along with hints of fruitiness.

Taste: The taste is similar to the aroma, but much stronger. There are fruity and caramel malts upfront, followed by a very strong tart bitterness with an alcoholic spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Thick and full-bodied, with low carbonation.

Drinkability: The high hops and high alcohol make this

Overall: A pretty good DIPA, malty and hoppy with a nice balance towards hops.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

If Schlitz is Schlitz, this is Schmaltz. This is a bomber that appeared albeit at a great price at the local beer supply joint, so I decided to give it a whirl. It is a brew among brews, let me tell you, my friends. The bottle smell is malt and lots of it. This is a brew that for the style - reinvents- Obscene is completely correct. This is a beer for worldwide lovers of beer. This may not be a tripel, its more ,with the hopping its a dirty quadruple! At least he migrated to see the US of A!

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Had this in a tulip. Certified Kosher.

Shining ruby body with darker hued highlights, the cap sits at about a finger's width of smooth and puffy foam. Sheet lace is left behind after the foam has died down.

A subtle fruity aroma creeps out of the beer. A malty wheatiness is noticed as well. Hopefully warming will reveal more here. As this warmed, there was a slightly peppery note that came out, with a little caramel malt.

Sweet, herbal, subtle spice, all these characteristics balance well in the flavor department. The spicy and bready malt lead off with the estery fruitiness playing off in the background. As the drink progresses past mid-palate, there are flavors of herbal earthiness, caramel malt and a resiny finish, doing a nice job of bittering up this beer.

Medium heft is balanced on the tongue, with a crisp and slightly bubbly finish noted. Carbonation is nicely done.

Lenny's RIPA is just a great beer. The flavors are all incredibly well balanced; and the malt profile is complex and interesting and fun to piece out. The rye gives this beer an aggressive edge that I really enjoyed. The nose is a little underwhelming, but the flavors keep me coming back for more. Definitely my favorite Shmaltz beer so far.

2.91/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours a nice copper/red color with a thick 2 finger head that maintains and clings to the side of the glass. Some damn good retention.

Smells very light/sweet/malty with a mild fruitiness. The rye also makes up a good portion of the nose along with some very sweet caramel.

Nice attack on the tongue with a smoothness that disappears quickly. The sweet malt and caramel from the nose carries over to the taste. The sweetness is subdued the whole way through by a hoppy bitterness that clings and leaves a very dry taste in your mouth.

I like double IPAs but I'm not too big of a fan of this one.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured nice dark bronze color. Good head retention.
Very powerful taste. Overwhelmingly thick flavors. Hops up front followed by smooth, sweet malty backbone.
Pleasant aftertaste. Drinks way too easy to be a 10% ABV beer.
Incredible. Local beer store was clearing it out and I bought the last one. Will be on the lookout for more.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company