Join our email list →

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 10.00% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros
firstprev| 826-850 | 851-875 | 876-900  | next → last
Reviews: 883 | Hads: 1,934
4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer is a deep amber. There was a huge head. fair lacing covers the glass. The smell is deffinatly hoppy. One of the better IPA/DIPA I have had. The taste is very bitter. No doubt here that this is a hop bomb. This beer should satisfy any hophead. The mouthfeel is sticky and a lasting bitterness is present as well. The drinkability is good. Almost too good considering the ABV. That aspect of this beer is well hidden.

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

22oz bottle.

Murky ruby red body with a bold, creamy off-white head that lasts and lasts. Some carbonation rises to the surface. Leaves abundant lacing as I drink it.

Hop bittersweetness blasts from the top of the glass. Grapefruit, honey, white-grapes. Very pleasant I must say.

Pine sap bitterness initially then fade to some sweet honey notes and finally a pine and sweet malt finish. Bitter pine aftertaste. This is a very solid beer. Huge malt backbone to keep the hops from making this completely undrinkable.

Medium-Full body. Carbonation is about right. Drinkability is gonna get some low marks due to the massive bitterness that never fades.

3.05/5  rDev -24.5%

This is a bomber of RIPA from Shmaltz. It is near room temperature (as this is the last of the bottle I opened 2 hours ago).

Appearance: For a DIPA, the ale is very dark, more similar to an amber. There is a nice ring of head that laces.

Smell: Malts that remind me of a barleywine are the first that I detect. Very sweet and malted-up, this beer is no regular DIPA, as there is no hop presence in the nose.

Taste: The rye adds a very nice touch up front, a change of pace in terms of malts. From there though, the malts spiral out of control and dominate the beer. There is a distinct barleywine aftertaste that lasts a long time. Again, there is some hop bitterness, but nowhere near that amounts I expected.

Mouthfeel: The flavors are too powerful and do not subside. This is not for the faint of heart.

Drinkability. Trust me, one bomber is enough.

4.26/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Burnt orange with a big head, a little lace, a couple random bubbles.

Smell: Doesn't let on the hop bomb that lurks in the flavor, more subdued.

Taste: Rip roarin' hops, very brash and bitter, good. Citrusy and raw, has a start to finish tongue punishing flavor. Very, very good.

Drinkability: A high quality, well crafter DIPA that will sate your hops craving. A definite must-try.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark maroon color with an amber colored head that is pretty frothy and creamy head. Exceptional lacing leaves a thick white film on the glass, hiding the beer behind a veil of creaminess.

Aroma is huge malt and not as much hops. The hops that are present seem to be English due to the lack of citrusness. The malt is caramelly and tosty. Alcohol is subdued in the aroma department.

Taste is mostly malts, again, with a nice alcoholic kick. However, when I think of DIPA, I think more hops than malt, which this beer is not. Rye is left by the side of the road, writhing in pain; didnt taste it. Maybe a double brown or english barleywine?

Mouthfeel is full and creamy and finishes somewhat dry. Alcohol becomes more apparent with rise temp., as usual. Not a bad Double but seems a bit mixed on style.

3.41/5  rDev -15.6%

Clear dark copper appearance, compact head of about 1/2 an inch in height. Good thick dripping laces. Marmalade aroma, some suggestions of dark rye bread or rustic "black bread". Smooth full mouthfeel, not a lot of carbonation, works well. Hop bitterness early, earthy and musky. What's interesting is the malt detail, for a beer with this much girth and decent weight, its hard to pick out a sweet component (aside from that heavy dark bread that is featured in the smell), especially late as the beer passes a yellow mustard flavor and heads in an almost top-soil flavor direction with a bitter collard green close. The brew has some definite distinction, but not any that strike me -- different but I wouldn't pick this one up again. As a note, on the label there's a lot of that pretentious prose you find on some beer bottles that just makes you wish the brewer would stick to talking about the beer. For example, the malt bill would be a lot more interesting to read about than anyone's particular opinion about Lenny Bruce.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

The ale named after the former Leonard Alfred Schneider departs the bottle and enters the glass a robust red, shadowy, clear, with a high head, creamy/tannish toned. Looking lovely.

Aroma: Fat malt, outsized yeast, liquid bread...is this a doppelbock? But there's so much hop!...sniff again... Wow! Loud hop, rich, burnished, barleywine-like. Grapes and other dark fruits are at hand, feeling like a burgundy wine, perhaps due to the high alcohol, or the huge maltiness.

Now, let's taste...Woo! Bam! Whap! Shamalam! Enormous malt floods the mouth and is assisted in it's it's efforts by the blazing sidecar of hops. Big, big, big on the palate, outsized all the way, spilling flavor all over the place. Delicious dark fruits, grapes, cherries, more...Reminds me very much of a Bigfoot or similar barleywine-style ales. This is where the line between "American Double IPA"s and barleywines really blurs, the malt is as big or bigger than the hops in this one, and the flavor is almost the match for a barleywine.

And the 10% doesn't hit...right away..oh, no, you'll feel it, though...

I didn't really taste the rye at all, but it works so damned well, it doesn't matter.
(Wait, ...now, I'm tasting it...yup, it's discernible...)

I love it. I think Lenny would love it. Rest his smutty soul. R.I.P. (A. true American hero.)

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

My first review for a He'brew. A 22oz bomber with more writing on it than any Stone bottle I've seen. First quote that caught my eye: "Satire equals tragedy plus time - Lenny Bruce". Love it already.

Appearance- Dark ruddy bronze/red with an alarmingly rising head that leaves thick chunks of lace on the glass. Don't pour too aggresively or it'll end up on the floor!

Smell- Fruity sweetness hits first followed by caramel malts, cherries, some alcohol not quite hidden by the sweetness. There is quite a lot of alpha hop aroma around too. Floral and some citurs as well. I can tell I'm gonna like this one.

Taste- Creamy; thick and creamy as hell. The sweetness is predominant but perfectly balanced by the hops. The alcohol warms nicely and the hops come through with a nice taste to match the smell, floral and citrus. Caramel and cherries come through nicely too. This is one well hopped and malted brew, both very well balanced. I like it!!

Mouthfeel- I've always had trouble describing mouthfeel so have patience with me here. The carbonation is just right, not too bubbly nor too flat like some stouts. It plays nicely in your mouth. The creaminess is the main attraction to the mouthfeel, it just slides down like something much thicker.

Drinkability- Obviously I love this brew and even at 10%ABV I could drink it all night (at home). He'brew has made a bold statement in the Double IPA market and I can't think of too many I like better. If you can find this one, get it and get as many as you can. My local IGA got a 2 cases and I'm gonna buy one for the cellar.

firstprev| 826-850 | 851-875 | 876-900  | next → last