2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006)
View: Beers (40) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,551 | Reviews: 835 | Show All Ratings:
ElGordo

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a rich, deep red color with burnt orange highlights, topped by a good finger of creamy white head. A rather pretty beer. Aroma is of roasted caramel malt and a good dose of fruity hops. Notes of dark cherry and a hint of brown sugar peek through as well.
Palate is complex, making a couple of transformations from the first sip to the last. Up front the caramel malt really shines through, with the slightly sweet, fruity hops emerging mid-palate. The rye shows up after the swallow with some pretty serious bitterness that lingers on the finish. The body is substantial and a bit creamy, with the rye bill eliminating some of the syrupy character that tends to come with double IPAs. Altogether, though, the bitterness on the finish is too much for me. Probably won't be getting this one again.

01-12-2007 07:19:41 | More by ElGordo
GbVDave

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a nice looking orange-red color with a rocky 2 1/2 finger head that leaves a decent amount of lace.

S: Spicy rye malt aroma with a dash of hops and some rather intrusive alcohol.

T: Pretty much just see above with the addition of some lightly sweet caramel malt. The alcohol steps all over the flavors in this.

M: Starts smooth through the beginning and finish then turns sharp and prickly at the finish.

D: I found this to be just above average. To me the alcohol isn't integrated well into the other aromas and flavors. It sort of sticks out like a sore thumb.

04-28-2007 00:38:11 | More by GbVDave
blackie

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

a: pours a half inch khaki head that recedes to a suitable layer and ring, the beer is a hazy, deep orange-amber in color

s: syrupy sweet malt sugars with caramel barley and one of the bigger rye noses I've come across, gives a candied and spicy - almost nutmeg and ginger - note, butterscotch, tropical-pine hops try to make a dent in the malt but come up just short, light booze as it warms a little overly sweet and much like an underattenuated american barleywine, but a nice aroma overall

m: smooth, low carbonation, full-medium body

t: big notes of sweet rye and caramel barley upfront, alongside is a tropical hop flavor turning pine with a moderate bitterness in the finish, loads of candied grain

d: easy enough

overall: I love a malty ipa/dipa, but only when the hops are equally as or more assertive

bomber from Whole Foods Reston on the advice of the beer guy...he also recommended a laguniters, but I've got a personal policy against that

09-12-2008 23:47:54 | More by blackie
Scotchboy

Idaho

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Bought this bottle on the recommendation of the guys at Brewforia. Cheers.

Poured into an oversize wine glass. Wow! Pours thicker, darker and hazier that almost every other DIPA I've ever had. Its an ice-tea color, reminiscent of the Chimay Red I had this weekend, and the head is closer to khaki than white. The legs are pretty good on this beer...so far, I'm intrigued.

It has a very earthy/spicy hop aroma. It has some of those qualities that make me think dank soil, with that hop astringency in there for good measure, the kind everyone calls cat piss (Simcoe). I can smell the malts too, caramel breadiness...and some sweetness but I can't tell if its the hops or malts...

Initially the mouthfeel isn't as big as I thought it would be, but this is still not a light bodied beer...it coats your whole mouth, and has a good amount of palette cleansing carbonation. The bitterness is more in the middle of the tongue than most beers I've tried...upfront, its just malt I think? It's bready, resiny, and bitter but not the most hop-forward beer I've tried. Its got some of that dank pine/wet grass character as well. The bitterness is in the middle-towards the end, and its a good bitterness, I'll give this beer that much. Not overwhelming but still up there in 'felt' BU's, I've got to think.

I think its a really well crafted beer, just not quite my thing (and I'm a hop head, too). The more beers I try, the more I want a traditional west coast IPA.

Cheers.

03-11-2011 00:08:26 | More by Scotchboy
TMoney2591

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Served in a snifter at Durty Nellie's.

Had to cap things off at Nellie's somehow, so I figured I'd give this guy a go. It pours a clear sunrise garnet topped by a finger of dirty light-tan foam. The nose comprises dank greens, light leek, lightly toasted caramel, very light pine, and an even lighter hint of mint. The taste holds notes of toasted toffee, heavy pine, leek, and dark greens. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda dry finish. Overall, a mostly solid brew, but the rye really never comes through, leaving things at the mercy of a slightly overly-piney hop lord. Not bad by any stretch, but probably not as good as it could have been (if that makes sense)...

09-27-2011 03:57:52 | More by TMoney2591
Rizalini

Nevada

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Recievedthis 12oz. as an extra from StlThrash. Poured into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours a clear ruby color with 1 finger of fluffy, almost creamy tan head. Slowly fades into a nice collar.

S - Big rye aroma.

T/M - Malty up front. Toffee and butterscotch qualities. There is a rye bite on the back of the taste, and in the finish. Kinda drawing a blank on the hops. Medium, slightly syrupy mouthfeel.

O - A different beer, thats for sure. Not sure I would classify it as a rye IPA. It is a good brew, and a really good rye ale, but not a good IPA.

04-30-2012 23:19:57 | More by Rizalini
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

"I'm sorry I haven't been funny. I'm not a comedian. I'm Lenny Bruce."

--Leonard Alfred Schneider

Burnt rustic orange with more than a little brick red that adds vividness and depth of color. Amazingly enough, the head filled the entire glass on the pour. At the several minute mark it's still 50:50 with the beer. The lid is richly creamy and is sticky to boot. No surprise then that orange-tinted, pale caramel lace is beginning to be laid down in a thick (soon to be crusty) coat. Lenny's is a lace monster of the highest order.

I wondered whether I popped the top too early on this one and I fear that I did. Unfortunately, the double digit alcohol hasn't had a chance to mellow and the nose is too dominated by it to be considered great. I can, however, still appreciate boadloads of caramel malt and spicy rye malt. For such an amazing hop bill, very little lupulin goodness makes it out of the glass.

The flavor profile is an exact replica of the nose. The bottom line is: plenty of malt (a good thing), plenty of alcohol (a bad thing) and not enough hops (another bad thing). That may be good enough to win the batting crown, but it isn't enough for me to feel very good about Lenny's R.I.P.A. On paper, this is a killer beer. In actuality, at its current age at least, it's a minor disappointment.

A huge amount of malt forms an unshakable, rock solid base of operations. Melted caramel, toffee pudding and rye whiskey dominate with an iron fist and effectively smash any attempt by the citric hops to gain a toehold on the palate. I love what hops were chosen (Warrior, Cascade, Simcoe, Crystal, Chinook, Amarillo and Centennial), but it doesn't do much good when none of them are able to appreciated to the extent that they should be in a DIPA.

Spiciness is the overriding flavor characteristic. Whether it's due to spicy rye malt or alcohol doesn't really matter. The beer is simply too raw-edged and too hotly spicy for its own good (I guess we can attribute the heat to the alcohol). Aging the bottle wouldn't even have worked since I've never known hops to gain strength over time.

The mouthfeel is amazingly full and sumptuous. So much so that it's a damn shame that the flavor isn't up to the task. It was big right out of the hopper and is becoming even more thick and sticky with warming. Tremendous.

Lenny Bruce prefered to dispense his brand of wisdom and his version of the truth by shocking his audience and challenging their beliefs and assumptions. Lenny's R.I.P.A. is faithful to Lenny's spirit in that it's shocking to the palate and is somewhat challenging to drink. Somehow I don't think that's what Schmaltz had it mind.

11-25-2006 22:26:53 | More by BuckeyeNation
jasonjlewis

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a huge huge head with excellent retention and a cloudy amber color.

Smell is of sour rye with some piney and perfumy hoppiness, with a big whiff of alcohol astringency.

The sour rye goes really well with the piney and perfumy hops. The astringency of the alcohol is a bit much though and takes away a tad from the overall enjoyment of the beer. Also, there aren't enough hops to balance the astringency.

The mouthfeel is a bit astringent, but has a nice fullness otherwise. I want to like this beer more, but it's a bit boozy.

Thie beer has an awesome rye profile, but is a bit too astringent with the alcohol to be superbly drinkable.

I want to like this beer more. There is such a great rye characteristic, but the alcohol astringency and lack of adequate hops to balance is too big of a flaw.

Thanks to La Roja for a great extra on my wants list.

10-12-2008 01:25:42 | More by jasonjlewis
danielharper

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance: Hazy caramel-colored body, slightly reddish on the edges, with a very thick bubbly off-white head. The head sticks around for awhile, give significant lacing.

Smell: Right off the bat, strong notes of rye and crisp West Coast hops. Underneath that, some fruity sweetness, grapefruit and apples or pears, with a touch of citrus, perhaps oranges? Overall an interesting aroma.

Taste: Wow. Highly alcoholic, very strong rye flavor. Bitter hops on the backend. Slightly dry in the aftertaste. As you get used to the alcohol and the hops, a slight grainy maltiness appears in the middle. A very imposing beer, perhaps with the alcohol turned up just a tad too high. That and the hops overwhelm the rest of the flavors. It's not bad, but it's very strong, and it's difficult to get any complexity out of it.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick mouthfeel, hops tickle the tongue, some carbonation.

Drinkability: This is obviously a lot of people's cup of tea, but it's not really something I feel the need to drink regularly. It's priced right at $6.99, and I'm sure I'll drink it again, but overall there are much better DIPAs out there.

10-30-2008 01:08:35 | More by danielharper
naterock

Missouri

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured into a fluted tasting glass. Deep reddish-amber with a one finger head, decent head retention.

Smells of rich rye malt, a aromatic yeast and a kiss of hops in the nose. Not as hoppy in the smell as I would have thought.

Ah, there's the hops. not hidden, but blasting out of the rye malt. The heat coming from the hops is crazy and WAAY underbalanced with a boozy body and just a little bit of sweetnes coming from the malts.

Mouth is oily and overcarbonated. Drinkability I can't say is too high. really wouldn't be a sure buy for me when in the mood for a DRIPA.

05-17-2009 12:17:28 | More by naterock
PALMEJ1

Alabama

from 22oz bomber into snifter

pours nice with 3 finger head. almost looks like strong ice tea with a great head!

smells like the normal grapefruit and pine but keeps going to a great ripe orange-tangerine thing. also some whiffs of rock candy from back in the day!

different from others in this style. i was expecting the same taste that I got in the nose but that did not happen. the hops are great but I think a little too much malt for me.

feels great. creamy and smooth. would not guess 10%.

i will give this another taste down the road as i bought 2

06-19-2009 03:58:17 | More by PALMEJ1
gillagorilla

Maryland

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak tulip

A: A nice deep brown tinged with ruby redness. Minimal head with ok lacing.

S: Sweet and malty, almost like a mellow barleywine (reminds me a bit of bigfoot, but opposite how that is a barleywine that tastes like an ipa fresh). I get very little hops of any kind, but a weird faint pine scent.

T: Tastes like a weird sort of pines. I don't know how to describe this. The flavor kind of starts and stops, all the while switching gears. It starts out with these odd hop notes and then into some roasty maltness but with no sweetness. You get the malted resin aftertaste, which isn't too much to my liking. It tastes like it wants to be a barleywine part way through with all of the malts and roast flavors, but just falls short and not in a good way. It is a weird clashing of flavors and just comes across as an oddly flavored IPA with barely anything to make it seem like an IPA.

M: Smooth at first but followed by an even crispness that is just waiting for the sign, which is when you begin to swallow. Lots of tiny coarse bubbles.

O: This is my first Schmaltz beer and not off to a great start. I was expecting a lot with that high rating. Not a great DIPA IMO. I don't like the flavor profiles here.

06-24-2013 23:58:18 | More by gillagorilla
Tone

Missouri

3.54/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, dark amber/copper color. One inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of slight citrus hops, hint of hop oil, sweet malt, hint of caramel malt, and slight rye. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is also a noticeable dryness. Tastes of strong hops, hint of roasted malt, sweet malt, slight rye, slight caramel malt, and a hint of alcohol. Overall, good appearance, decent aroma, decent body, and decent blend.

02-20-2014 13:39:13 | More by Tone
SaCkErZ9

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark maroon color with an amber colored head that is pretty frothy and creamy head. Exceptional lacing leaves a thick white film on the glass, hiding the beer behind a veil of creaminess.

Aroma is huge malt and not as much hops. The hops that are present seem to be English due to the lack of citrusness. The malt is caramelly and tosty. Alcohol is subdued in the aroma department.

Taste is mostly malts, again, with a nice alcoholic kick. However, when I think of DIPA, I think more hops than malt, which this beer is not. Rye is left by the side of the road, writhing in pain; didnt taste it. Maybe a double brown or english barleywine?

Mouthfeel is full and creamy and finishes somewhat dry. Alcohol becomes more apparent with rise temp., as usual. Not a bad Double but seems a bit mixed on style.

06-28-2006 21:50:50 | More by SaCkErZ9
hoppymeal

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours dark copper to amber in color, clear, with a small creamy looking light tan head. Piney hops in the aroma, but also a small dose of citrusy hops mix with a sweet maltiness, like an orange flavored cotton candy, also a little apricot and coconut. Sweet maltiness in the taste with a hint of citrus again, followed up by a good sized dose of peppery and piney hops mixed with some alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is medium in body and pretty smooth and creamy, finishes with a small amount of dryness and a nice hop bite. Not bad although I'd like to see some more hop aroma and flavor coming through. The mouthfeel was quite nice though, very smooth up front with a smack in the face finish of bitterness and alcohol that kept me going til the end.

11-26-2006 02:43:40 | More by hoppymeal
cbn

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice, translucent, deep copper color, very thin head, minimal carbonation.

Aromas of sweet malt, slightly acid(attributed to the Rye),relatively mild hop profile.

Flavors run quickly through the mouth, acid rye, sweet malt, bitter hop, then mingle and linger.

Cold, the mouthfeel seems thin, almost watery. As the brew warms it becomes more creamy.

Flavor and mouthfeel give this brew a better than average drinkability.

06-16-2008 16:48:39 | More by cbn
Lunch

Maryland

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Served on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD into a goblet at the appropriate temperature (01/02/10).

A: Pours an oily and hazy golden brown capped with a small amount of off-white foam with some staying power producing some excellent lacing.

S: Interesting smell dominated by rye malt and some piney hops with a few citrus tones mixed in.

T: First of all this is only my second rye DIPA and I'm trying to get into this style, but I'm having some difficulties. Rye malt again dominated the palate along with grassy hops and a slight citrus coming in at the end. Some caramel sweetness in there as well, but the rye is the centerpiece here.

M: Really nice creamy mouthfeel and quite full-bodied. For me this was the highlight of this beer.

D: For me the rye is just not a flavor that I am terribly found of at this time and one goblet was just fine for me. the 10% abv. was also slightly present limiting this.

Overall this is a style that I am rather unfamiliar with and will take some time getting use to. However, this seems like a very well-crafted beer and I would assume rye lovers would be quite pleased. Worth a Look.

01-04-2010 20:16:03 | More by Lunch
beerdrifter

Germany

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Picked this up at a great beer store, Tops Liquor, while at a conference in Phoenix. Clear, copper, amber pour with nice off-white head and decent lacing. Big aromatic nose with lots of dark fruit and spices, alcohol and a hint of rye bread. Taste is much the same with a nice bitter hop bite and a big sweet, malty, dark fruit backbone. Also detected a hint of candy apple, cinnamon and black pepper. The rye was conspicuously absent here which greatly disappointed. The alcohol is not well hidden in this one. It's definitely a sipper. Very thick, resiny mouthfeel and the alcohol is warming. Not the most drinkable beer for me. A little too sweet. Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye is, in my opinion, what all Rye beers should strive to emulate, and this beer wasn't even close. Perhaps I would have rated it higher if it would have had more of a rye character to it. Definitely not a bad beer, but not a good example of a RyePA.

06-06-2010 16:15:14 | More by beerdrifter
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Pours dark red orange with a small amount of sediment present with a one finger off white head. Maintains excellent lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt and sweet hops. The flavor was of malt and subtle hops. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a very nice IIPA. Wasn't my favorite however as it was kind of sweet when I had it, but was still quite in enjoyable. If it had more aroma and flavors to make it more complex, this could be great.

06-22-2010 23:15:09 | More by thagr81us
MrVonzipper

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Crystal clear mahogany color with a cream colored one inch head with good retention and lacing.

Nose is full of Dark fruits, rich sweet malt, dark candy sugar. Grapes. Plums. No hop character nothing like a DIPA. Smells more like an old ale.

Dark malt and fruit. Dark candy sugar. Good play between hops and big malt character. Pineapple. Slightly bitter. I think it's overly sweet for the style and the very vague hop notes are just bitter and don't work in harmony with the other characteristics.

Viscous and slightly syrupy and creamy. Low carb.

Overall I wish there was a bottle date because I Feel like this isn't as fresh as it should be. The malt character was overly sweet and the hop character overly bitter. I had a hard time throughout this beer deciding how much I liked or disliked it. I ended pouring out my last little bit because it just got more and more unpleasantly bitter.

09-12-2011 16:36:57 | More by MrVonzipper
BDLbrewster

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a hazed red-orange color, nice large, quickly receding head that leaves some viscous lacing. Fair amount of visible carbonation as well.

The forefront of the nose is packed with a firm odor of rye malt, and oodles of spicy hops. Stale and earthy, in a good way. I get a bit of citrus themed hop smell, but it is very underwhelming. The alcohol light up your nose hairs and is prevalent in the smell.

The taste is a bit out of the ordinary, the hop profile is leaning way over to the spicy side rather than citrus or pine. A really mean rye pa if you ask me. Spice, earthiness and rye define this brew. Sooo much flavor that it almost hurts, what this brew lacks in complexity it makes up for tenfold in sheer amount of taste. The alcohol is hidden perfectly and you would never notice that this brew clocks in at 10%.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with ample carbonation. Tiny amount of syrupy slag on the tongue but that's pretty much expected in a big brew like this.

Overall, I don't know how I feel about this one. It is good, very drinkable. But it's kind of up in the air if I will seek this out again. Solid brew.

10-02-2009 23:11:11 | More by BDLbrewster
illidurit

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Bomber poured into a pint glass. Pours amber with an off-white filmy head. Aroma is very spicy and piney with some citrus and toasty malt. Flavor is caramel and alcohol mostly, but it is somewhat balanced by rye spiciness and herbal hops and a solid bitterness. Thick and boozy, a real ass-whipper of a beer. Not exactly easy to kill a bomber though.

01-19-2010 09:00:01 | More by illidurit
JDizzle

Indiana

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle that is an amber colered DIPA. Smells like italian herbas that is sweet but herbal with a nice floral hop essence. It does smell like a floral tomatoe sauce despite me not wanting it too. Very hoppy on the palate with a nice sweet malt. Good format to represent a DIPA. Mouthfeel is syrupy and bold

Always a pleasure Hebrew!!

08-15-2012 04:01:09 | More by JDizzle
tone77

3.49/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a bronze color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of rye, malts, a bit bready. Well the taste is nothing like the smell. Very hoppy, lots of bitterness, some rye, as dry as a camel ride in the desert. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

12-22-2013 07:30:42 | More by tone77
Beaver13

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

22 oz bottle. Pours a ruby amber with a frothy off white head that laces the glass.

The aroma is acidic fruitiness, caramel and a little rye (probably because I'm looking for it) mixed with hop bitterness and some alcohol.

The flavor is a little sweet fruit with some caramel and rye maltiness and some fusel alcohol. Hop bitterness pervades the taste but is not overwhelming, leading to a long bitter finish and aftertaste. The mouthfeel is smooth and velvety.

Overall, I was a bit let down. There's a good amount of bitterness but this is not well balanced. There's a smorgasbord of flavors but they are rather disjoint and not well blended.

08-25-2006 05:41:20 | More by Beaver13