He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Here goes my first review. He'Brew RIPA lures you in with it's label. Get one and read the tribute to Lenny Bruce. I picked one up at my favorite gas station/beer haven, PJ's in Sylva, North Carolina. 3 days and 5 bombers later I can tell you the label is just the beginning.

It poors thick and owns one of the most attractive heads I've seen, nearly as dark as the beer sitting up on top like whipped cream. Immediate pleasing aroma of hops fills the room. Hopped Up is my best description. There's an "Obscene" amount of the flower in this brew. Greg at PJ's describes it as "Chewy". You sense the 10% abv immediately by it's warmth not by it's flavor. You can't slam this one. Make sure you have nowhere to be for a while.

Hop Heads everywhere would become addicted immediately. For me it was love at 1st sight. I hope I don't have to drive 700 miles to get my next one.

scaping28, Aug 29, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

"I don't know about you but I enjoy the way our tax money is being spent to arrest, indict, convict, imprison, parole, and re-imprison (marijuana smokers). I'd just piss it away on beer, anyway."

– Lenny Bruce

Out of the bottle (22oz bomber) and into the glass, the beer pours a very rich, vibrant, copper-colored brew with a seemingly thick consistency, shown by the sluggish carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Topped with a very healthy, thick, slightly off-white foam head, the beer’s lacing is tight, creamy, sticking to the glass, and retaining very well. Complex piney and resiny hop nose with gentle floral notes and bit of a peppery and spicy rye edge tucked within. Aroma suggests something sweet, with malty caramel upfront, loads of enticing ripe fruits, then alcohol. Oh, sweet alcohol.

The first sip introduces something smooth and creamy to the palate, but beneath lies something very powerful. Mouthfeel is dense, chewy, syrupy, and slick with candied-fruits and a massive malty backbone with caramel, toffee, and toasted bread. The heat (perceived alcohol) on this one is quite high, with a big 10 percent alcohol spice that melds well with rye bread crust flavors, rounded with berry-like fruity esters that make your heart skip a beat. The palate is then subjected to a salty, sticky hop resin with a sharp citric edge that smacks of half a pink grapefruit with ten sugar packets on it—prepared like your grandma would have. Hops character is actually quite complex, continuing with some dry aspirin. Rye and bready flavors become more pronounced in the linger, as the beer dries and sheds a near carob character across the palate. Alcohol gets a bit fumy and warming. Finish is oily, resinous, herbal, raw, and wanting of more.

This is an "Extreme Beer" and a Double IPA that dances on American-style Barleywine borders, with its aggressive hops and strength. It might be a bit too much for many to handle, and the fact that it’s packaged in a 22oz bomber bottle means that you’ll want to share it with friends. Keep chilled, serve cool in snifters, sip, and enjoy as the beer unfolds in your warm hands. Available for around $6 a bottle, which makes it affordable enough to try.

Todd, Aug 29, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

This beer poured a clear brownish/amber body with a thick white head that died quickly.

Nose is somewhat muted at first but you know the punch is there. Big malt, flowers, hops, citrus, caramel, potpourri and this odd sort of liquid caramel funkiness that I can't quite put my finger on.

Huge thick and creamy body. Wow!!! Thick caramel malt with a huge hop bitterness. Citrus, pepper and pine dominate the hop taste with little touches of resin, but it's surprisingly mute and not as over the top and oily as some DIPA's. Alcohol is obviously present in this beer but never distracting. Bitterness is also big and in your face but gives just enough balance to the big malt. Ends with a lingering bitterness. As it warms the hop bite really starts to sink in even more.

Although it borders more on American Barley-wine than DIPA, it's a classic none the less. Perfect beer in tribute to Lenny Bruce. Fuckin' in your face, yet not so over the top just to get attention like so many others out there nowadays.

taez555, Aug 27, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Served from a bomber, purchased at Woodmans west, Madison, WIsconsin, into a pint glass.

A: Nice pour, achieved a beautiful 2 finger head. Pours a nice dark amber color, with a light tan head. Head dissipates slowly, leaving nice lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Not much in the way of aroma, just picking up mild scent of hops.

T: Hop flavor is somewhat limited, although maybe I'm not picking up on them due to the solid malt backbone. Either way, not enough bitterness to call it a double IPA, in my opinon. That being said, this is a tasty brew, balanced, tasty, and makes you want to drink more, and more. But It might have been better marketed as an IPA, not the double.

M: Good mouthfeel, smooth and creamy.

D: I would have to rate the overall drinkability as just over average. I would drink this beer again, but not if I was in the mood for a double IPA.

One last thing: I would like to say that this is the first beer I've had from this brewery, and while I don't think it's a good example of the style, I want to stress the point that it's a good beer. Had it been sold under the
"regular" IPA label, I would have rated it higher. If you're looking for a "hop bomb", keep looking. If you're in the mood for a well balanced IPA, pick this one up, and enjoy it. I did.

dancinwillie, Aug 26, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Bomber poured into a pint glass…twice

A—clear ruby reddish with an impressive 2 inch tan head, slowly collapses down to a thin sheet of foam, lacing is thick and plentiful

S—hoppy, citrus and pepper, some pine, the rye malt seems pretty faint to me

T—ton of malt flavors, also peppery, spicy hop flavors, some citrus and floral notes, the rye malt adds a unique flavor to this. The alcohol is very strong in the mouth and in the chest upon the swallow

M—a little thick and syrupy, medium/full bodied, good carbonation

D—very good and I’ll buy more to go in my cellar before they are gone. Watch out for the 10% ABV!

hanco005, Aug 25, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

22 oz bottle. Pours a ruby amber with a frothy off white head that laces the glass.

The aroma is acidic fruitiness, caramel and a little rye (probably because I'm looking for it) mixed with hop bitterness and some alcohol.

The flavor is a little sweet fruit with some caramel and rye maltiness and some fusel alcohol. Hop bitterness pervades the taste but is not overwhelming, leading to a long bitter finish and aftertaste. The mouthfeel is smooth and velvety.

Overall, I was a bit let down. There's a good amount of bitterness but this is not well balanced. There's a smorgasbord of flavors but they are rather disjoint and not well blended.

Beaver13, Aug 25, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a deep red with a sizable head into the pint glass. The head stuck around on the beer for quite sometime. Smelled of strong citrus hops, with a fruity hop underneath. Strong bread and alcohol smells come off of it too, a sweet bread with a sour finish, no doubt the working of the rye. Spicy, citrusy, mango hops play well with the subdued alcohol for a 10 percent beer. The grain is sweet, and sharp, if I would have had the forethought to pick up some goat cheese, it would have been perfect for it. It drank well, which is the sign of a good double ipa, if not good for my head. A damn fine beer, which I was mainly excited to pick up due to the tribute to Lenny Bruce, one of my favorite American humorists.

HoboAGoGo, Aug 25, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark cararmel with plenty of reddish highlights, nice clear body. Nearly white head came on strong and overflowed my glass a little. I tried to slurp up the extra but to no avail. Reduces to a thin layer with some random bubble clumps. Coats the glass almost entirely with a sheet of lace. Really nice looking brew here.

Aroma seems quite balanced to me. Lots of hops and a good dosing of malts. Citrus sweet hops, tangerine with some subtle grapefruit. Sweet caramel and biscuit maltiness. Has a resinous hint to it and the fleeting aromas of alcohol comes in at the end.

Tons of hops come through, pine and high alpha acid citrus hops attack the tongue. Fairly well balanced though, the biscuity malts and rye bread base keeps this one in check. Finish is sharp and crisp, mostly from the rye. Alcohol is evident as it sits on the tongue but dissappears once swallowed as the hop bitterness begins to take over.

Medium bodied but coats the mouth well and a resinous hop bitterness lingers for a while. Good carbonation level for this brew, not too much since the rye adds plenty of crispness.

Drinkability is really good in my opinion. There are some notes of the alcohol but the bitterness covers it up well. Inviting hop flavor that isn't too sweet and fruity. Goes down easy, good stuff...

blitz134, Aug 25, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

obscene this, jewish that. gimme the f'n beer, bitches!

22oz

blood-red in a triple petrus gold-rimmed snifter. solid head that moseys on out at a moseying speed. i'm left with the creamy remnants of a head that once was- a head that never will be again. still, the morse code in co2 spheres spells out 'drink me' on lenny's surface. beer sticks to the walls like ready spaghetti.

juicy sweet hop transcends normal beer aromas.. this almost reaches the level of orange soda in its citric sweetness. more tangerine than orange, and more barleywine than soda. still, you get the picture. american alpha sting, just not tart. brown sugar comes through as lenny warms up to me. gimme some sugar, baby.

thick and smooth, creamy and dreamy, this beer slides down the throat like a champ. isn't rye usually peppery and sharply dry? not here. the hops overwhelm and it adds more of a yin to the bitterness of yang. it melts with the hop aftereffect and is comparable to putting a window fan behind a bullet to help it pick up speed. and what about the 10%? don't feel it in the least until this beer hits my belly like a lead weight. that's ok though, i'm sipping it the way i should.

that orange peel is there, along with intense malt sweetness. the bitterness in the finish is really botanical, not waxy. it's alive. my mouth is sticky on the inside after each sip and my cheeks feel dry. am i dying? nope.. it's just beer. it's like a brandy-soaked pumpkin pie.. no, wait.. it's more like a 3 floyds behemoth glazed pecan pie. describing this takes big words that i'm not capable of. after all, this is a huge beer with some bold character.

if someone made this beer to commemorate me, i'd be a damn proud dead man.

goodbyeohio, Aug 25, 2006

Poured a red, orange with coppery notes. Good sized, off-white head with great retention and lacings.

The aroma is sweet with a big malt presence. Some rye is also apparent. The hops are noticeable but not what I expected in a DIPA.

Very big malt taste with a nice dose of rye and some molasses and caramel up front. The finish is bitter grapefruit with a balancing hop presence. Not quite bitter enough to counteract the lingering malt sweetness but not unpleasant. Also some warming alcohol notes in the finish.

This brew is medium bodied and well carbonated. There is a bit of a syrupy consistency that seems to jive with the massive malt flavor.

This is a good, unique, drinkable brew. It’s not quite what I expected and I’m not sure that it represents the style very well but it’s a worthwhile beer.

Estarrio, Aug 22, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful beer. Deep mohagonny with hints of ruby, and copper. Small bubbles make their way sporadically up the sides of the glass. A very large cream colored head hangs around for the party. A thin layer of laces coats the entire circumfrence of the Corsendonk goblet.

Sweet floral, candied hop aromas, with a good amount of malt. Very fruity smelling with some citrus. Some belgian type spice aromas. Something else in the nose I'm having trouble placing. But smells spectacular nonetheless.

This is a big complex beast. Very bitter hoppy ending but the front and mid palate are thickly coated with malt, belgian spice, citrus, and glycerol. Absolutely huge beer and very complex. A little heavy on the mouthfeel makes this one tough to drink as well. Otherwise a damn good beer. Finish lasts over a minute and leaves a good amount of alcohol in the mouth.

mcallister, Aug 20, 2006

Pours and amber/red color with an impressive tan head of large bubbles. Nice blend of light citrus and pine in the aroma. Medium to heavy body with a huge hop presence in the flavor. Mostly pine. Malt really struggles to make itself known. Aftertaste is sweet up front with a wallop of bitterness to finish. Alcohol is apparent, but not overly so considering the 10%abv. Not bad.

sacfly, Aug 19, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured a gorgeous crimson caramel with a nice inch thick cream colored head. Nose is of massive caramel and strawberries. Taste is much the same. I don't understand this beer, it tastes far more like a barley wine. Mouth is on the cusp of full while still being a medium bodied beer. I'm going to buy this again but am in no rush. A good beer that is overshadowed by many greats in this region.

TheBungyo, Aug 19, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured with a thick, creamy, rootbeer float-like head.
I dont think beers are better just being clear and generally prefer the mouthfeel and extra flavors of unfiltered beers. However, this one is certainly pretty, crystal clear and looks of rich mahogany (cue Ron Burgundy).

The smell is its weakest aspect. A bit of piney hops, but somewhat metalic.

Bitterness and fruity hops dominate the first sips. However, there is a malt profile almost like a true german dopplebock being smothered underneath. Imagine a fasting, mild-mannered German monk getting sat on by a boorish west-coast hophead.
The malt flavor is like that unripe fruit quality that you often encounter in German Dopplebocks (especially Celebrator), but I can never manage to describe it beyond "green-apple, but not really".

That malt profile comes through more as I work through the beer, but I'm not sure if its contingent on my having taken a few bites of my homemade lamb burger with feta (yes, be jealous). The finish remains quite bitter to the end. The metalic note in the nose is hovering about, waxing and waning in noticability. What about the Rye? Well, its spice bite may be there adding to the flavor, buts very tough to tell it from the hop bite. It's more notacible in the dryness that prevents the beer from being too sticky sweet.

The mouthfeel is very nice. Moderately thick and creamy. Well carbonated without being fizzy.

I must admit, I had a biased desire to like this beer, as I love Lenny Bruce and the comedians with biting insight he encouraged like Bill Hicks, George Carlin, and David Cross. Oh yeah, and I also love DIPAs and I've never had too strong a Rye quality in my beer (Long ago when Redhook had a soul, I had an unfiltered Rye from them on tap at the old Lyons in Dublin, CA. It was liquid rye bread and no rye beer has every come close). All that said, I truly did like it and will buy another, but it did not rock my world as I had hoped. It's sort of a maltier big brother to Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye, and its tough to say which I like more.

"Satire is tragedy plus time."
---Lenny Bruce

Tbone, Aug 19, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours with average foam, body is red in color. Smells piny and resiny, with some sweetness from the rye.

Taste is sweet initially. The hops follow; they are piney, grapefruit-laden, and blend in well with the rest of the flavor profile. The rye is quite noticeable on the finish. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy and not particularly to my liking. Drinkability is okay.

Sephiroth, Aug 18, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

I love rye beers.

I love hops.

What isn't to like? Well . . . nothing. But what is to like?

Some DIPAs are all about the hops. Some of them have a strong malt presence that balances out the sheer hop volume. This is one of the latter catagory, but it doesn't work. It is very sweet, but monodimensional in terms of malt. There is some light rye spiciness, but nothing serious, but it manages to be excessively sweet and dry at the same time. 'Creamy' is the taste/texture combination used to describe this taste of maltiness to me. I freakin' hate it.

And the hops? Resiny, but that's it. The resin conflicts with the light rye spiciness.

Absolutely run-of-the-mill.

Oh, and it is hot as heck!!! The 10% is really hit-you-over-the head noticable. Not my cup of tea.

shbobdb, Aug 18, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Undated bomber purchased at Bello Vino in Ann Arbor and poured into a pint glass.

Dark copper with two fingers of light tan that show tenacious retention and leves a ringed sheet as it goes down.

The nose is almost all grapefruit dipped in pine resin. Slight malt sweetness and heat underneath.

Huge malt bill is tasted upfront with a sweetness that is thick but in no way cloying. A giant load of the grapefruit/pine hops jumps in and the whole thing is tempered perfectly by the rye. All the flavors linger through the finish and leave a nice aftertaste of malt and hops with an almost spicey flavor from the rye. Abv registers only as a growing warmth in my belly. This is fucking awesome!

Full mouth that threatens a syrupy slickness but stops just in time. I could drink a lot of this....well I could keep drinking until things got ugly. Great beer.

ypsifly, Aug 18, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

22oz. bottle - originally reviewed on paper on 8/14/06

Pours a clear amber with a thick tan head that fades. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is 100% citrusy hops and smells very nice.

Taste is slightly malty upfront which is washed quickly away by a wave of citrusy hops and a bitter bite to boot. Finishes quite dry and bitter.

Full body, mild carbonation.

An overall nice DIPA, and a nice change to have one that's on the dry side.

MaltyGoodness, Aug 17, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up at Downtown Wine & Spirits along with a bottle of He'Brew Genesis 10:10. I served it in one of my Duvel Tulip glasses at around 45º F.

Appearance: Pours a brilliantly clear ruby with a fluffy beige head that's fed by a steady stream of bubbles from the etched 'D' at the bottom of my tulip. The head thins to a persistent half-inch layer, leaving thick lace.

Smell: The aroma is fairly subdued, with caramel malts and a light hoppiness. The caramel aromas really emerge upon swirling, along with hints of fruitiness.

Taste: The taste is similar to the aroma, but much stronger. There are fruity and caramel malts upfront, followed by a very strong tart bitterness with an alcoholic spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Thick and full-bodied, with low carbonation.

Drinkability: The high hops and high alcohol make this

Overall: A pretty good DIPA, malty and hoppy with a nice balance towards hops.

EPICAC, Aug 13, 2006

Found a bottle of this at CIty Wide here in town. i really dont think i will ever run out of new things to try at that store. This is my second He'Brew and i remember liking the first. I have a buddy who thinks Lenny Bruce was God but i don't know anything about him except that he's dead and there's a pretty good beer made in his name.

Pours out a beautiful looking beer. Reddish and clear with a massive super foamy head. tons of nice lacing. Smells of fresh hops, some pine, caramel malts. Taste is just like the bottle says...bitter and sweet...but not too much of either. Theres a heavy pine/oak flavor on the back end that mingles well with the raw hops. The rye in there is not all that obvious, but it lends a nice earhty taste that ive grown to like after having many beers from Founder's in Michigan. The mouthfeel is the real problem with this beer...its too thick and sticky. I mean, yeah, how can you get all that super hop and malt into a beer without it being thick like this, but it still makes it a bit hard to drink. Overall, though, its a real winner.

aforbes10, Aug 13, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

A- pours a dark reddish brown, not much head, laces nicely though

S- whispy hop smell, rye smell is noticable, light pine aroma

T- very hoppy, with rye bitterness in the aftertaste, very very bitter, total shock considering the very light smell

M- Thick for a DIPA, moderate/light carbonation, unusual malty feel for a DIPA

D- Thick, doesn't go down too easily, something to sip

gonzo138, Aug 09, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

From a 22 oz. bottle. A tribute to Lenny Bruce...hmm. Never found him all that funny. Hopefully his tribute beer will be better than his comedy.

A - nice ruby red, perfectly clear. Head is very thick, creamy and puffy. Off-white, slightly tan. Leaving adequate lacing and retention is excellent, especially considering the alcohol content.

S - aroma here a little muted. Significant citrus, grapefruit, light pine hop aroma with underlying cotton candy sweetness. Syrupy smelling, caramel, strong toffee. Higher alcohols also present. Smells good, but expecting more.

T - to mimic the previous line, tastes good, but expected more, a little disappointing. Fairly well balanced DIPA. Strong citrus, tangy hop flavor up front, followed by significant sticky malt sweetness, and then concluding with assertive tart bitterness. Hop flavor and bitterness very present and balance ultimately tips in their favor. Taste surpasses the aroma. Alcohol content evident but not overwhelming.

M - thick, sticky, somewhat viscous beer. Carbonation low. Sticky finish.

D - tasty offering, but not quite as good as it could have been, it seems. A little sticky and filling.

gbarron, Aug 09, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Deep brown, with hints of orange-red. A decent amount of foam that fades to a thin ring.

S: Rye bread soaked in alcohol. Subtle notes of sweet fruit and floral hops.

T: Lots of alcohol up front, which lasts the entire time. The citrusy hops are there and are quite enjoyable, but they are thrown off by alcohol. The rye is noticeable, but buried deep.

MF: Lots of carbonation, maybe a bit too much. Dry alcohol finish that I didn’t care for.

D: It took a while to get through the 22 ounces, but I did finish the bottle. Worth trying, but I would probably consider this to be the manishevitz of DIPAs.

bwyker, Aug 08, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

This one pours a deep red color with a medium tan head that has good retention and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma is very sweet from malts and has a lot of pine hops. The flavor has a very sweet caramel malt character but it is well balanced with a spicy hop flavor that sticks on the palate. Some rye comes through on the end. This one has a very full body. Drinkability is pretty good.

clvand0, Aug 07, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -2%

22 oz. bomber poured into a goblet.
No date to be found.

Nice thick 2 inch off what almost tan head, that settles nicely to a thin bubbly layer. Nice dark reddish rust color. Patchy attractive lacing throughout. Medium persistant carbonation.

Nice fruity sweet rye scent, with an alcohol background.

Taste is not offending, beginning with a malty slight rye hit and ending with a slight bitter hop alcohol kabam. The alcohol flavor is well hidden and barely rises from the afterburn.

Mouthfeel is good, with medium carbonation with a nice thick slide to the belly.

A nice easy drinking beer for 10%ABV. The alcohol is definately there but not up front. My first try of a 'RIPA', much better than i expected. Give it a swill, i sure will again.

beerphan, Aug 03, 2006