He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. - Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: mcallister on 06-07-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

I picked up a bottle of Shmaltz's He'brew Bittersweet Lenny's RIPA a couple days ago for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I was looking to try something new and different and since I have never had this beer or any beer from Shmaltz Brewing Company I decided to give this beer a chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's got an old school movie theater theme that goes well with the people that this beer is dedicated to, I like it. It poured a nice brown color that took on a nice and bright ruby/copper color when held to the light. It had three and half fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice rings of lacing. This is a really good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with some hops up front that impart a really nice aroma that is half pine and half citrus, with pineapple, grapefruit, and pine sticking out the most. Next comes the malts which have a higher amount of sweetness and imparts some grainy and bready aromas, that are quickly followed by a good amount of rye that adds a nice spicey aroma and make for some good complexity. This was a very nice smelling RIPA, I got lots of hops and lots of rye, just what I want from the style.

T- The taste seems to be a little different from the aroma. It starts off with a pretty large amount of hops that are floral, piney, and slightly citrusy, the citrus didn't show up as much as I would like, and it's the piney hops that stick out the most and are followed by a large amount of sharp bitterness. Next comes some malts and rye that imparts a light bready flavor followed by a good amount of spicy rye flavors. The aftertaste had a bitter pine taste along with spicy rye flavors and I only got a slight alcohol flavor. This was a good tasting and intense RIPA, but I wish the citrus hops showed up a little more in the flavor.

M- Not too smooth, slightly creamy, a little dry, on the medium side of being full bodied, and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and worked well with this beer, I wish it was a little smoother, but other than that I wouldn't change anything.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer and good example of a Double RIPA, it had lots of rye and hops just as I would expect, it was very true to style. This beer had ok drinkability, it wasn't that smooth so it was a sipper, but it had enough flavor to hold my attention, one is the perfect amount with this beer, just sip and and enjoy the intense flavors. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both very good and were better then I expected. What I liked least about this beer was the lack of citrus hops in the flavor, if the citrus showed up as much as it did in the aroma it would be pretty damn good. I would buy this beer again when i'm in the mood for an intense beer, it's a little pricey, but worth it, it would be nice to have every once in a while, if you like bitter and intense beers then this is for sure worth a try. This beer made for a good first impression of Shmaltz, I didn't know what to expect from the brewery or this beer, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised. This is the only Double RIPA that I have had but it made for a good first example and I would like to try more of this style and more beers from this brewery, good job guys, this is a good beer.

StoutHunter, Jun 09, 2012

bspain5, Jun 08, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

I need more rye beer in my life. Thankfully, Shmaltz is here to help.

Among the many numbers printed right below the label, I can see a “043/12,” which I’m guessing means ‘bottled on February 12, 2012;’ this would put this beer as four months old at the time of this tasting.

A: Sunset red in color, gleaming in the eye with a touch of shining orange. Not much of a head forms, a smooth, soda-bubbly half-inch of crisp foam that dies down to nothing more than specks on top of the body. Light, stringy lacing.

S: Smells like tomato sauce; dear lord, the resemblance is uncanny at first. Light, sweet notes of malt must provide the fruity, acidic, earthy tastes of tomato, while the herbal rye presence provides basil and oregano undertones. Crazy. After dwelling on that mental image of pasta, there’s a time to get at the guts of the nose: pumpernickel, sweet toffee, and incredibly thick caramel malts with a light sprinkling of citrus hops.

T: Fiery, smooth, delicious! At first sip, the caramel cream of the malts washes you palate clean of everything you had for lunch, breakfast, and even last night’s dinner – I have malt whiplash, and I like it. I’m not normally one to dig on sweet beers, but this is just more than that. The rich darkness of toffee and rye embellishes every little detail of the grains, pulling out kilned redness, warm pumpernickel, cinnamon gum, and light chocolate. Dark fruits everywhere, too, giving date and fig center stage for a big chunk of the palate. The hops are a nice balancing agent – prickly pine and citrus zest – but are nothing compared to the sweetness of the malts. Finishes dark and creamy, with a chewy, lingering taste of bread crust and malty sugars.

M: As I said above, there’s a bit of heat to this beer, but not too much; it’s just enough to remind you how powerful it is. Other than that, it’s full-bodied to the extreme, taking on a syrupy persona for the majority of the drink.

O: Beer with chutzpah, just like its namesake: Lenny Bruce. And at times, like Lenny, the audacity of this beer can be a little offensive – but in the end, it leaves nothing but a smile on my face.

BarryMFBurton, Jun 07, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Wow...this is a funky, interesting beer.

Picked up a 4 pack at my Round Rock Specs for about 11 bucks...total shock to see it there actually.

Poured a heavily red tinged deep copper with a thick tan head. Beautiful color on this one and a lot of thick lacing. Just gorgeous.

Getting some piney hoppiness in the scent with hints of citrus and a little alcoholic rye spice at the finish. Also a sugary dessert like quality. Strange, but good.

The flavor is quite unique. Uber-sweet malt on first sip, followed by a nice slap of piney hops and a bit of spicy rye to cut some of the malty sweetness. I'd say this is kind of like Hop Rod Rye on steroids. Lovely thick mouthfeel...certainly a slow sipper as you really want to taste all the unique qualities in this one slowly. Syrupy sweet as it warms, and quite boozy...and quite good.

Not sure about the Imp IPA status...kind of a hybrid of a barelywine/dipa, but that rye kick makes it worth a try. Give this one a shot if you like big, complex beers.

obrike, Jun 06, 2012

JoeLacy, Jun 06, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 12oz Brown bottle.

A: Good pour, deep shades of amber. copper and reds. Head was of dark white almost a copper colour, short less than a fingers width. Thick lacing.

S: Smells like an IPA, with hints of barley or pine. The rye stands out.

T: Tastes like a very good IPA topped off with a shot of creme
liquor. Small hint it alcohol

M: Good balance, bubbly.

O: A good twist on an IPA, high quality beer.

I would recommend this beer to a friend

theecaleb, Jun 05, 2012

PissWarmChango, May 22, 2012

TimH, May 19, 2012
4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz bottle into wine glass

Giant off-white head, clear amber-red body with lots of rising bubbles. Smell is warm rye, alcohol, piney hops, citrus, grass. First thing I notice is a very creamy feel, then bitter oily hops. They weren't lying about using a lot of hops and malt. There's a lot of flavor here: piney hop resin, nutty/toasted malt, darker notes of clove and spice, citrus fruit, and lots of warm alcohol. Loses half a point on mouthfeel because of how abrasive the oil and alcohol is.

This is a terrific, stong, flavorful beer. Not something I'd drink all the time, but was excellent to try.

jimmah120, May 18, 2012